Teach for America TFA Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.5

TFA Corps Member Interview

Interview

Extremely selective. Do not focus on teaching experiences as much as your organizational and leadership skills. During the final interview make sure you plan out all the details of your lesson. Know how much time is required for each part of your lesson including set up. They will cut you off.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever missed a deadline. If so, why.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The Interview is a long process. It takes about 2 months to complete, with several components (online application, phone interview, final interview). However, depending on who you interact with the experience is very enjoyable, although challenging. Make sure to do your research before each interview and put forth your best effort. Also when building your lesson plan for the final interview be sure to keep it simple but interesting! There will be several individuals teaching during the day and you need to stand out. So have fun but make sure that you are using your time wisely. You only have 5 minutes, which goes quickly!

Interview Questions

• What would be one thing that would result in you leaving the corps?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Submitted the online application with essay and was automatically bumped to the final round. The final all day interview involved a 5 minute lesson with 1 minute of prep time (they literally time you to the second and will not allow you to go over). From there, we had a series of group activities to model how we work in a group. Finally, the day ended with a one on one interview that lasted anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes. On the day that I interviewed, four of the ten applicants did not finish their lesson within the time frame. None of these applicants were admitted (even the applicant with a really engaging science lesson). One applicant had a lesson in which he lectured for the entire 5 minutes, he was also not admitted. The other 5 applicants (myself included) had lessons that were under time and involved some element of teacher modeling, grouping practice, and final assessment/closing. This is the basic structure of a lesson that you will be teaching should you be admitted. For this reason, make sure you create a lesson that is under time, practice it multiple times, and include instruction, practice, and assessment. For anyone that is wondering, I taught my group how to ask someone their name in Spanish and how to respond when someone asks your name. I included specific points on pronunciation and inflection.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to serve in low income, under resourced schools?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever quit anything   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Hartford, CT) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied for the Corps for the 2015-2016 year. Got a phone interview with a lovely alumna of the Corps who seemed impressed with what I had to say regarding my background and experience. Overall the interview allowed me to really shine.

Interview Questions

• As a founding board member of a non-profit org., what were your duties?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a long one. Almost two months long. They have you submit about four essays in the initial application. If you pass that you'll make it on to the phone interview. If you make it pass the phone interview you'll make it on to the last in-person interview/sample lesson plan. They claim they want diversity but their organization make-up proves otherwise.

Interview Questions

• Take us through a difficult experience in the workplace and how you handled it.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

First, I applied online. Then waited for the decision. Afterwards, I had my final interview. I was abroad at the time, so I had to do a virtual interview. The entire interview process was pretty lengthy.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

It was a multi-step process. Throughout the whole thing I felt like they were interested in what I brought to the table as a whole and not just my thoughts on education.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

TFA recruiter was great- friendly, always willing to point out resources, connect me with someone. Interview went well- you do the teaching part first which gets that out of the way. Group portion they just want to see that you can carry a conversation and are committed to TFA and would not quit on them. Hiring was not handled well. During your regional selection process- CHOOSE YOUR REGIONS VERY CAREFULLY AND READ UP ON ALL OF THEM THAT YOU CHOOSE. TFA is not incredibly transparent about all of the costs until after you have been selected, unless you do some research yourself on the TFA website.

Interview Questions

Had to pay for a reduced master's program to get certification. AmeriCorps would fund some of it, but this would still be expensive. Also, I did not want to commit to my placement location.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The initial step of the process is a lengthy application, complete with GPAs by school year, personal statements and short answer questions, examples of your leadership, etc. After this step, they notify the applicants that are moving to the next round that they must have a phone interview. Roughly 50% of applicants will be released after this round, as their website states. Following this interview, you will either be released or invited to the final round. Before the final interview, you must then complete an online task which includes a timed exam to measure your critical thinking skills, followed by a few short answer questions which are not timed. Bonus points for incorporating any of their values in this step! There isn't much you can do to prepare for this portion, it's just a way to measure how quickly and accurately you are able to analyze situations. The day of the final interview, you will be in a group of 6-12 other applicants and 2-4 interviewers. You must first give a 5 minute teaching sample. This was kind of a waste of time, but whatever, it's required. Afterward there is a "group task," basically to see how you are able to collaborate and work with others. This was easy, they give you a situation which you resolve alone, then come back together to discuss it as a group. My whole group agreed, so we didn't have much to talk about. Lastly will come the actual interview. At this point, there isn't much about you that they don't already know. ALL of my questions were repeated directly from my phone interview, which was extremely frustrating. After the final round, they will give you 2 weeks to wait until you hear back, and then will have 2 weeks to accept the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to do Teach For America over AmeriCorps?   Answer Question

I wasn't willing to move to the location in which I had been placed.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Submitted a general inquiry to TFA for more information. Spoke to a recruiter and former alumni from my university. Submitted a simple application online. Received a favorable email to set up a phone interview. Set up a phone interview. Spoke on the phone with another TFA Corps member. The process was very simple and the questions asked are all on Glassdoor.