Teach for America TFA Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2014

3.6

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

TFA Corps Member Interview

Very rigorous. 2 phone interviews. One 8 hour battery day. 6 weeks institute. More interviews with districts. Then you begin. This process is very cumbersome for the actually pay you will receive. The experiences and education will gain will be very beneficially but its not the ideal way to go if you can get into better jobs out of college.

Interview Questions
  • Present a mock lesson in front of 20 - 40 other applicants. Additionally, do not disclose too many biases or preferences. They read into so much about what you think and believe. If you are conservative, you will have a hard time finding similar minded people.   Answer Question
Where do you want to go?

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The interviewing process was very clear and concise. It starts with a phone screening, then the second round was a panel phone interview, and ended with an in-person sample teaching.

Interview Questions
    • It was a scenario on difficulties potentially facing when advocating for student programming and the school has a small budget.   Answer Question
    N/A

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

The lesson plan, group project and the interview were very straight forward. They really emphasized how "hard" working for TFA would be and told us that if we thought that the next year as a corps member would be easy, we shouldn't bother showing up to the final interview.

Interview Questions
    • The classic - what's the biggest challenge you've faced?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

During the process there is a general application, phone interview, and final interview. During the phone interview they ask you questions from your resume and times you have had to manage difficult situations. The people who call are very friendly and do not try to trick you. The more you talk about handing difficult situations=the better.

In the final interview there are about 12 people who also interview with you. You do not have to compete with them (they can offer a position to all of you or none of you). You are asked to do a 5 minute "lesson plan," group problem solving, and a one on one interview.

Interview Questions
    • During the final interview they give you a role playing situation in which you have to convince the "principal" (interviewer) that you should be allowed to take a group of students on a field trip (they give you road blocks as to why the trip couldn't be allowed).   Answer Question
    None.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Three stage interview process:

1) Personal statement of intent and several short answer questions

2) Phone interview, timed online activity, and 3 references

3) In person interview and 5 minute lesson presentation

Overall, the interview experience was a long, but positive one--if you are set on joining. I had a few buddies work tirelessly through the first two steps, only to get rejected in the final round because they did not convince the interviewers they were committed to the cause. Only worth going through the trouble if you really want it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a coworker and how you worked past it.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. Two weeks to decide, no extensions.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

I applied online on whim because the deadline was approaching. It was mostly leadership and volunteer activities. A week or so later I was notified I was selected for a phone interview and an online application/test. The test was evaluating grades of "students" and finding out ways to improve education. The phone interview was weird - I've done a bunch of tutoring but the interviewer only wanted me to respond to her questions regarding one position that had nothing to do with education. I spent about 45 minutes trying to answer questions about this position and the questions didn't make sense.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your greatest accomplishment?   View Answer

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

I applied online and wrote a stellar essay with mediocre extracurriculars and made it into the second round phone interview. The phone interview was actually very easy, as my interviewer was extremely passionate for education and spoke more than I did during the call. I made it to the final round and successfully led the group and presented my sample lesson well, but made a crucial mistake in saying that I support segregation in special cases. Not that I am racist or sexist, but I just spoke my mind saying that specific groups of people like special education students must be placed in different classrooms to receive the appropriate education. That was my bad.

Interview Questions
    • How did you think you did in the group discussion interview?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Online form and short essay questions, then invited for a short screening phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected, but the phone interview is odd because it feels like you're talking to a machine.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

There was an online application which you answered short answers about why you wanted to work for TFA, questions about your leadership/experiences. From there I was invited to a phone interview, which was a pretty basic,typical interview, where she asked questions about my resume, why I want to work for them, ect. After I had to do an online activity and then invited to a final interview. The final interview, personally was the most enjoyable part of the process. The final interview consisted of a 5 minute lesson plan, which you teach to all of the other interviewees, a group activity/discussion, introduction of the interviewers and a chance to ask them questions, and then a one on one interview. The interviewers were very friendly and enthusiastic, which in turn made me more comfortable and excited to join.

Interview Questions
    • You had to role play a scenario with your interviewer, which could range from a variety of topics involving education, and problems you'll face in the classroom. Mine was trying to convince the principle why I (as a teacher) should take the class on a field trip. It was only difficult because it can be a bit awkward and strange to role play   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The first step of the interview process is a lengthy online application. There is a phone interview, which focused on leadership, and online activity, which felt like it was addressing diversity. The final interview involved a group activity, a five-minute sample lesson and a one-on-one interview. The one-on-one was impersonal and challenging. The interviewer was typing literally every word I said, and it was hard to be passionate and personable. Then entire day went remarkably quickly.

Interview Questions
    • During the one-on-one interview, you will do a role play as a TFA teacher. Immediately following the five-minute scene, the interviewer asked what I could have done better. It caught me immediately off guard, and I thought, "Well, we just ended it. If there was something I thought I could have done better, I probably would have just done it." Humility, humility, humility.

They'll ask why TFA, of course, organizational skills, have you ever quit something, etc. The interviewer asked about things on my résumé that I didn't expect her to care about. That really caught me off guard. She didn't ask about the experiences where I was leading and not about anything recent. That was the hardest part.
        Answer Question