Teach for America TFA Corps Member Interview Questions

Online Activity, Phone Interview

Letters of Recommendation, Full Day Interview

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

TFA Corps Member Interview

online app with statement of interest, phone interview, online assignments, in person interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

After submitting the online application, there is a phone interview that you may or may not have to complete. I skipped to the final interview which was in person. There was a 5 minute presentation that each interviewee had to deliver to display creativity and speaking skills. There was also a group conversation and a one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not very difficult, however the role play was unexpected.   Answer Question

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

numerous rounds. Be prepared for lots of paperwork. They are really into numbers and look for leadership experiences. At the final interview, you have to do a sample lesson plan and they are very strict about the time.

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

There was an online application which you answered short answers about why you wanted to work for TFA, questions about your leadership/experiences. From there I was invited to a phone interview, which was a pretty basic,typical interview, where she asked questions about my resume, why I want to work for them, ect. After I had to do an online activity and then invited to a final interview. The final interview, personally was the most enjoyable part of the process. The final interview consisted of a 5 minute lesson plan, which you teach to all of the other interviewees, a group activity/discussion, introduction of the interviewers and a chance to ask them questions, and then a one on one interview. The interviewers were very friendly and enthusiastic, which in turn made me more comfortable and excited to join.

Interview Questions
    • You had to role play a scenario with your interviewer, which could range from a variety of topics involving education, and problems you'll face in the classroom. Mine was trying to convince the principle why I (as a teacher) should take the class on a field trip. It was only difficult because it can be a bit awkward and strange to role play   Answer Question

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

Online form and short essay questions, then invited for a short screening phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected, but the phone interview is odd because it feels like you're talking to a machine.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

I applied online and wrote a stellar essay with mediocre extracurriculars and made it into the second round phone interview. The phone interview was actually very easy, as my interviewer was extremely passionate for education and spoke more than I did during the call. I made it to the final round and successfully led the group and presented my sample lesson well, but made a crucial mistake in saying that I support segregation in special cases. Not that I am racist or sexist, but I just spoke my mind saying that specific groups of people like special education students must be placed in different classrooms to receive the appropriate education. That was my bad.

Interview Questions
    • How did you think you did in the group discussion interview?   Answer Question

Two step interview process:
    1) Phone interview - looking to ascertain your "biggest impact" role. They really want to know if you have the leadership skills necessary to make a great teacher.
    2) Full day interview - nothing unexpected. The group presentations are incredibly risk-free -- PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! I can't overstate that enough. The in-person interview is just a conversation where they really want to get to know your motivations better.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

I applied online, then got through to the in-person interview without the phone call interview. I did a 5-minute lesson plan presentation, discussed some pre-interview readings, and then chatted with two people in person about why I wanted to do TFA. Overall was a very positive and enjoyable interview process.

Interview Questions

My work situation was still very much up in the air and I would have had to commit hundreds of dollars in training before knowing whether my work situation was secure.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Provo, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Teach for America in September 2011.

Phone interview, In person interview, teaching interview

Interview Questions
    • Probably, when they asked to look at my planner to see my time management skills.   View Answer
    No negotiation since pay is determined by where you're assigned.

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!