Teach for America TFA Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in November 2014.

Submitted a general inquiry to TFA for more information. Spoke to a recruiter and former alumni from my university. Submitted a simple application online. Received a favorable email to set up a phone interview. Set up a phone interview. Spoke on the phone with another TFA Corps member. The process was very simple and the questions asked are all on Glassdoor.

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

The interview process was a long one. Almost two months long. They have you submit about four essays in the initial application. If you pass that you'll make it on to the phone interview. If you make it pass the phone interview you'll make it on to the last in-person interview/sample lesson plan. They claim they want diversity but their organization make-up proves otherwise.

Interview Questions
    • Take us through a difficult experience in the workplace and how you handled it.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America.

Submitted the online application with essay and was automatically bumped to the final round. The final all day interview involved a 5 minute lesson with 1 minute of prep time (they literally time you to the second and will not allow you to go over). From there, we had a series of group activities to model how we work in a group. Finally, the day ended with a one on one interview that lasted anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes.

On the day that I interviewed, four of the ten applicants did not finish their lesson within the time frame. None of these applicants were admitted (even the applicant with a really engaging science lesson). One applicant had a lesson in which he lectured for the entire 5 minutes, he was also not admitted. The other 5 applicants (myself included) had lessons that were under time and involved some element of teacher modeling, grouping practice, and final assessment/closing. This is the basic structure of a lesson that you will be teaching should you be admitted. For this reason, make sure you create a lesson that is under time, practice it multiple times, and include instruction, practice, and assessment. For anyone that is wondering, I taught my group how to ask someone their name in Spanish and how to respond when someone asks your name. I included specific points on pronunciation and inflection.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to serve in low income, under resourced schools?   View Answer
    • Have you ever quit anything   View Answer

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

First, I applied online. Then waited for the decision. Afterwards, I had my final interview. I was abroad at the time, so I had to do a virtual interview. The entire interview process was pretty lengthy.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2014.

The final interview process was my first contact with a real person in TFA prior to talking to a recruiter. A large number of folks apply to the program so TFA tends to pass quite a few people on the the final interviews. Expect about 12-20 other candidates at your final interview.

The process consisted of first a presentation where you teach a mock lesson, an evaluation in how you work in a group with other potential corps members, and finally a 1on1 interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing should be unexpected, you can find the questions they tend to ask prospective corps members online.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Starts off with basic GPA and general info. The next round is a phone interview and short essay questionaire. All of the interviewers were personal and easy to talk with. The final round involved a five minute lesson plan, a group activity, and a one on one interview. Make sure that you positively contribute to the group activity, and listen to the other applicants ideas. The one on one interview was easy going and friendly.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

It was a multi-step process. Throughout the whole thing I felt like they were interested in what I brought to the table as a whole and not just my thoughts on education.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

TFA recruiter was great- friendly, always willing to point out resources, connect me with someone. Interview went well- you do the teaching part first which gets that out of the way. Group portion they just want to see that you can carry a conversation and are committed to TFA and would not quit on them. Hiring was not handled well. During your regional selection process- CHOOSE YOUR REGIONS VERY CAREFULLY AND READ UP ON ALL OF THEM THAT YOU CHOOSE. TFA is not incredibly transparent about all of the costs until after you have been selected, unless you do some research yourself on the TFA website.

Interview Questions

Had to pay for a reduced master's program to get certification. AmeriCorps would fund some of it, but this would still be expensive. Also, I did not want to commit to my placement location.

TFA Corps Member Interview

The process is kind of long but not as stressful as I assumed it would be. First the application, then the phone interview, then the final interview. From what I hear, the final interview isn't a direct competition with other applicants; basically, if they feel like everyone in your group would best suit the program they will hire everyone in the group (I think this is rare but the good thing is, they don't have a set number of applicants they have to accept each period).

Interview Questions

I did not want to move to the area they suggested.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in October 2014.

I applied at the first deadline for this coming corp year in August. You are first accepted to a phone interview from an application, then the final interview based on that phone interview. The final interview day is intensive and includes a presentation and group interview as well as an individual interview.