Teach for America TFA Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.5

TFA Corps Member Interview

Interview

Extremely selective. Do not focus on teaching experiences as much as your organizational and leadership skills. During the final interview make sure you plan out all the details of your lesson. Know how much time is required for each part of your lesson including set up. They will cut you off.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever missed a deadline. If so, why.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Saint Louis, MO) in February 2012.

Interview

Met with get recruiter, then general interview and statement. Then more extensive essay questions and responses to possible situations and short chart/data reading quiz. Next was either a phone interview or straight to the final interview that had a short lesson, a group section and then a long one on one standard interview process.

Interview Questions

• what was something challenging for you? What did you learn from it?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The Interview is a long process. It takes about 2 months to complete, with several components (online application, phone interview, final interview). However, depending on who you interact with the experience is very enjoyable, although challenging. Make sure to do your research before each interview and put forth your best effort. Also when building your lesson plan for the final interview be sure to keep it simple but interesting! There will be several individuals teaching during the day and you need to stand out. So have fun but make sure that you are using your time wisely. You only have 5 minutes, which goes quickly!

Interview Questions

• What would be one thing that would result in you leaving the corps?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Video (Brazil)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Video (Brazil)) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was Thorough and personal. The interviewers were very nice and understanding. The video interview in place of an in person interview was tough and made the group activities awkward. I recommend avoiding a final virtual interview. Weather conditions forced me to participate in the virtual interview and it threw me off. I was trying to figure out the technology half of the time.

Interview Questions

• Is there anything that would keep you from fulfilling your two year commitment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Houston, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Spoke to a recruiter over the phone. She range me up and asked me questions. She put me at ease and stressed there was no reason to worry, which was nice. She said "perfect" often, which made me think I was going to move further in the process

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized? Describe how you overcame a hard time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Submitted a general inquiry to TFA for more information. Spoke to a recruiter and former alumni from my university. Submitted a simple application online. Received a favorable email to set up a phone interview. Set up a phone interview. Spoke on the phone with another TFA Corps member. The process was very simple and the questions asked are all on Glassdoor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Hartford, CT) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied for the Corps for the 2015-2016 year. Got a phone interview with a lovely alumna of the Corps who seemed impressed with what I had to say regarding my background and experience. Overall the interview allowed me to really shine.

Interview Questions

• As a founding board member of a non-profit org., what were your duties?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a long one. Almost two months long. They have you submit about four essays in the initial application. If you pass that you'll make it on to the phone interview. If you make it pass the phone interview you'll make it on to the last in-person interview/sample lesson plan. They claim they want diversity but their organization make-up proves otherwise.

Interview Questions

• Take us through a difficult experience in the workplace and how you handled it.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Submitted the online application with essay and was automatically bumped to the final round. The final all day interview involved a 5 minute lesson with 1 minute of prep time (they literally time you to the second and will not allow you to go over). From there, we had a series of group activities to model how we work in a group. Finally, the day ended with a one on one interview that lasted anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes. On the day that I interviewed, four of the ten applicants did not finish their lesson within the time frame. None of these applicants were admitted (even the applicant with a really engaging science lesson). One applicant had a lesson in which he lectured for the entire 5 minutes, he was also not admitted. The other 5 applicants (myself included) had lessons that were under time and involved some element of teacher modeling, grouping practice, and final assessment/closing. This is the basic structure of a lesson that you will be teaching should you be admitted. For this reason, make sure you create a lesson that is under time, practice it multiple times, and include instruction, practice, and assessment. For anyone that is wondering, I taught my group how to ask someone their name in Spanish and how to respond when someone asks your name. I included specific points on pronunciation and inflection.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to serve in low income, under resourced schools?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever quit anything   1 Answer

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

First, I applied online. Then waited for the decision. Afterwards, I had my final interview. I was abroad at the time, so I had to do a virtual interview. The entire interview process was pretty lengthy.