Teach for America TFA Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2014

3.6

44 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Two step interview process:
1) Phone interview - looking to ascertain your "biggest impact" role. They really want to know if you have the leadership skills necessary to make a great teacher.
2) Full day interview - nothing unexpected. The group presentations are incredibly risk-free -- PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! I can't overstate that enough. The in-person interview is just a conversation where they really want to get to know your motivations better.

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2013.

The first step is the online application. After this I was invited to a phone interview and had to complete an online assessment. The phone interview was not bad, mostly asked about your leadership experiences. The assessment had you listen to a scenario and write a few responses. It also had a test that had you interpret charts and data. Next step was the in person interview. You had to teach a sample lesson plan in front of the group, then read an article and have a discussion, then you had a personal interview. The interview included a role play which was difficult and the interviewer was aggressive. Asked how it made me feel when I didn't get my way, how far would I push, what info did I wish I had? What would you do if you had an 8th grade class that read at a 3rd grade level, what would be your goal for them? How do you stay organized?

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Two steps to the interview- first a phone interview and then a final interview in person. Phone interview was not too challenging- make sure to review details of TFA on their website and have specific examples/situations ready to go. Final interview was more difficulty, they want to know A LOT of information about you so be prepared to have a lot to say and again have many examples.

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

numerous rounds. Be prepared for lots of paperwork. They are really into numbers and look for leadership experiences. At the final interview, you have to do a sample lesson plan and they are very strict about the time.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in November 2013.

I applied online on their website and filled out an application. There are certain deadlines that will end the application pool. Once the application pool closes, there will be a day where TFA will notify you if you have been selected for a phone interview. Once you set up the appointment for a phone interview, be sure to be ON TIME, as they are very punctual.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me a time you failed and what you did?
      What attracted you the most about Teach For America?
      Why Teach for America and not someplace else?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

The application process is fairly easy. Once you get invited back to the phone interview make sure to prepare answers about your organization skills etc. If you get invited back, you will partake in an online activity. After, you may be invited back to the final interview which will be in a group setting and takes a full day. The first part of the day will be dedicated to presenting a 5 minute lesson plan. Make sure you DO NOT go over or under in time and factor in time for questions. The people interviewing with you and interviewers will act as your students and they will get things wrong on purpose. After, there is a group activity where they observe you and want to see how you work in solving a problem in a group activity. Then, after this is your final personal interview.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

Well I'll be completely honest. TFA is not for everyone. The first step is to fill out an online application. This application is very thorough, long, and is not something that you can do last minute. Make sure your resume focuses on your leadership experiences and your essay questions reflect true passion for their cause. Everything needs to be lined up with their mission and their core values. So, do your research.

Next is the phone interview/online activity. Some people skip the actual phone interview and is invited straight to the final interview. I think it just means that everything they were looking for was given and explained on their application. But, if you're offered a phone interview don't be worried. Just be yourself and be prepared. Be familiar with your resume and leadership experience and be ready to explain specific details. If you say you increased something, know the numbers or percentage and how you did so. Be very specific. The online activity is very long. First there is a watch and respond. You'll watch a video and respond. Then there's a test, there isn't a "correct answer" but they just want to see how and what you would do in certain situations. It's not hard though, just make sure that you think things through.

Lastly, there's a three part final interview. It consists of a five minute lesson plan, a group interview/activity, and then a one-on -one interview. All I can say is be prepared. For the five minute lesson plan--practice, practice, practice. Make sure whatever you choose to teach, you KNOW well and you can be completely confident in. Don't over think the lesson. Make sure that you're engaging the audience, have some sort of interaction, and use your time wisely. The group interview/activity. I cannot say this enough, Teach for America is NOT competitive it's selective. They are not looking for a set number of applicants. They are just looking for people who meet their standards. So try not to be a know it all and a control freak. Make sure you're heard, but also give others a chance to be heard. Review their core values: TEAMWORK. Work together as a team. I HIGHLY advise that you get to know the other interviewees and learn to support and encourage each other. It makes the day SO MUCH better. The one on one interview. Mine was awesome. The interviewer was SO nice and kind. Try not to be alarmed or feel like they're not paying attention to you when they're typing on their computer. They're taking notes on you. This is their way of painting a picture of who you are to the admissions team. So, be yourself, be prepared, and be passionate. I know TFA only accepts 11 % of their applicants but don't let that worry you. If you are truly passionate about something, it will show.

Interview Questions
    • I agreed to keep questions confidential. Just know your responses to your application long responses, your resume, and leadership experiences.   Answer Question
    No negotiation . When offered to the final interview, you are asked to pick 10 locations: under the categories: highly preferred, preferred, and least preferred. You will also be asked to pick grade level and subject as well under the same categories.

If you are offered a position, based off the need of the locations you picked and what you qualify for is how you will be offered a position. Your only options are to accept it or decline.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

You fill out an online application. After a couple weeks, you find out if you've been invited to a phone interview. After the phone interview, you find out if you're invited to a final interview where you have to present a 5 minute lesson plan, a group activity, and then schedule an individual interview.
    The in-person interview is basically the same thing as the phone interview. It was a very tedious process with a lot of waiting. They focus mostly on accomplishments you have received. Prepare for the teaching lesson by practicing beforehand. It'll help a lot! When they say you only get a certain amount of time, they mean it!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

I applied online, then got through to the in-person interview without the phone call interview. I did a 5-minute lesson plan presentation, discussed some pre-interview readings, and then chatted with two people in person about why I wanted to do TFA. Overall was a very positive and enjoyable interview process.

Interview Questions

My work situation was still very much up in the air and I would have had to commit hundreds of dollars in training before knowing whether my work situation was secure.

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

After submitting the online application, there is a phone interview that you may or may not have to complete. I skipped to the final interview which was in person. There was a 5 minute presentation that each interviewee had to deliver to display creativity and speaking skills. There was also a group conversation and a one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not very difficult, however the role play was unexpected.   Answer Question