Teach for America TFA Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2015

3.5

TFA Corps Member Interview

Interview

Online application with statement of purpose followed by either a phone interview then an in person interview or straight to an in person interview. In Person involves teaching a 5 minute sample lesson, group exercise and finally a 1 on 1 interview. Tough process really concerned about your ability to survive in a tough environment.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

TFA Corps Member Interview

Interview

Very rigorous. 2 phone interviews. One 8 hour battery day. 6 weeks institute. More interviews with districts. Then you begin. This process is very cumbersome for the actually pay you will receive. The experiences and education will gain will be very beneficially but its not the ideal way to go if you can get into better jobs out of college.

Interview Questions

• Present a mock lesson in front of 20 - 40 other applicants. Additionally, do not disclose too many biases or preferences. They read into so much about what you think and believe. If you are conservative, you will have a hard time finding similar minded people.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Where do you want to go?

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in October 2014.

Interview

I applied at the first deadline for this coming corp year in August. You are first accepted to a phone interview from an application, then the final interview based on that phone interview. The final interview day is intensive and includes a presentation and group interview as well as an individual interview.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interviewing process was very clear and concise. It starts with a phone screening, then the second round was a panel phone interview, and ended with an in-person sample teaching.

Interview Questions

• It was a scenario on difficulties potentially facing when advocating for student programming and the school has a small budget.   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America in April 2014.

Interview

The final interview process was my first contact with a real person in TFA prior to talking to a recruiter. A large number of folks apply to the program so TFA tends to pass quite a few people on the the final interviews. Expect about 12-20 other candidates at your final interview. The process consisted of first a presentation where you teach a mock lesson, an evaluation in how you work in a group with other potential corps members, and finally a 1on1 interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing should be unexpected, you can find the questions they tend to ask prospective corps members online.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The lesson plan, group project and the interview were very straight forward. They really emphasized how "hard" working for TFA would be and told us that if we thought that the next year as a corps member would be easy, we shouldn't bother showing up to the final interview.

Interview Questions

• The classic - what's the biggest challenge you've faced?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

During the process there is a general application, phone interview, and final interview. During the phone interview they ask you questions from your resume and times you have had to manage difficult situations. The people who call are very friendly and do not try to trick you. The more you talk about handing difficult situations=the better. In the final interview there are about 12 people who also interview with you. You do not have to compete with them (they can offer a position to all of you or none of you). You are asked to do a 5 minute "lesson plan," group problem solving, and a one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• During the final interview they give you a role playing situation in which you have to convince the "principal" (interviewer) that you should be allowed to take a group of students on a field trip (they give you road blocks as to why the trip couldn't be allowed).   Answer Question

Negotiation

None.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Three stage interview process: 1) Personal statement of intent and several short answer questions 2) Phone interview, timed online activity, and 3 references 3) In person interview and 5 minute lesson presentation Overall, the interview experience was a long, but positive one--if you are set on joining. I had a few buddies work tirelessly through the first two steps, only to get rejected in the final round because they did not convince the interviewers they were committed to the cause. Only worth going through the trouble if you really want it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a coworker and how you worked past it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. Two weeks to decide, no extensions.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

Interview

I applied online on whim because the deadline was approaching. It was mostly leadership and volunteer activities. A week or so later I was notified I was selected for a phone interview and an online application/test. The test was evaluating grades of "students" and finding out ways to improve education. The phone interview was weird - I've done a bunch of tutoring but the interviewer only wanted me to respond to her questions regarding one position that had nothing to do with education. I spent about 45 minutes trying to answer questions about this position and the questions didn't make sense.

Interview Questions

• What has been your greatest accomplishment?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Houston, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Spoke to a recruiter over the phone. She range me up and asked me questions. She put me at ease and stressed there was no reason to worry, which was nice. She said "perfect" often, which made me think I was going to move further in the process

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized? Describe how you overcame a hard time.   Answer Question