Teach for America TFA Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2015

3.5

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I applied online and wrote a stellar essay with mediocre extracurriculars and made it into the second round phone interview. The phone interview was actually very easy, as my interviewer was extremely passionate for education and spoke more than I did during the call. I made it to the final round and successfully led the group and presented my sample lesson well, but made a crucial mistake in saying that I support segregation in special cases. Not that I am racist or sexist, but I just spoke my mind saying that specific groups of people like special education students must be placed in different classrooms to receive the appropriate education. That was my bad.

Interview Questions

• How did you think you did in the group discussion interview?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Online form and short essay questions, then invited for a short screening phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was unexpected, but the phone interview is odd because it feels like you're talking to a machine.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The first step of the interview process is a lengthy online application. There is a phone interview, which focused on leadership, and online activity, which felt like it was addressing diversity. The final interview involved a group activity, a five-minute sample lesson and a one-on-one interview. The one-on-one was impersonal and challenging. The interviewer was typing literally every word I said, and it was hard to be passionate and personable. Then entire day went remarkably quickly.

Interview Questions

• During the one-on-one interview, you will do a role play as a TFA teacher. Immediately following the five-minute scene, the interviewer asked what I could have done better. It caught me immediately off guard, and I thought, "Well, we just ended it. If there was something I thought I could have done better, I probably would have just done it." Humility, humility, humility. They'll ask why TFA, of course, organizational skills, have you ever quit something, etc. The interviewer asked about things on my résumé that I didn't expect her to care about. That really caught me off guard. She didn't ask about the experiences where I was leading and not about anything recent. That was the hardest part.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

There was an online application which you answered short answers about why you wanted to work for TFA, questions about your leadership/experiences. From there I was invited to a phone interview, which was a pretty basic,typical interview, where she asked questions about my resume, why I want to work for them, ect. After I had to do an online activity and then invited to a final interview. The final interview, personally was the most enjoyable part of the process. The final interview consisted of a 5 minute lesson plan, which you teach to all of the other interviewees, a group activity/discussion, introduction of the interviewers and a chance to ask them questions, and then a one on one interview. The interviewers were very friendly and enthusiastic, which in turn made me more comfortable and excited to join.

Interview Questions

• You had to role play a scenario with your interviewer, which could range from a variety of topics involving education, and problems you'll face in the classroom. Mine was trying to convince the principle why I (as a teacher) should take the class on a field trip. It was only difficult because it can be a bit awkward and strange to role play   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

For the lesson, most people did not have time to finish so I recommend that you budget for four minutes. Everyone gives a five-minute lesson, and the other interviewees are the students, as are the interviewers (2 in my case). Then, you interview with one of the interviewers. I skipped the phone interview round but apparently questions are similar. They ask why TFA, have you talk about your leadership experience, ask you when you've overcome challenges, etc.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever quit anything? Have you ever handed in an assignment late?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Two step interview process: 1) Phone interview - looking to ascertain your "biggest impact" role. They really want to know if you have the leadership skills necessary to make a great teacher. 2) Full day interview - nothing unexpected. The group presentations are incredibly risk-free -- PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! I can't overstate that enough. The in-person interview is just a conversation where they really want to get to know your motivations better.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2013.

Interview

The first step is the online application. After this I was invited to a phone interview and had to complete an online assessment. The phone interview was not bad, mostly asked about your leadership experiences. The assessment had you listen to a scenario and write a few responses. It also had a test that had you interpret charts and data. Next step was the in person interview. You had to teach a sample lesson plan in front of the group, then read an article and have a discussion, then you had a personal interview. The interview included a role play which was difficult and the interviewer was aggressive. Asked how it made me feel when I didn't get my way, how far would I push, what info did I wish I had? What would you do if you had an 8th grade class that read at a 3rd grade level, what would be your goal for them? How do you stay organized?

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Two steps to the interview- first a phone interview and then a final interview in person. Phone interview was not too challenging- make sure to review details of TFA on their website and have specific examples/situations ready to go. Final interview was more difficulty, they want to know A LOT of information about you so be prepared to have a lot to say and again have many examples.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chapel Hill, NC).

Interview

The application process is fairly easy. Once you get invited back to the phone interview make sure to prepare answers about your organization skills etc. If you get invited back, you will partake in an online activity. After, you may be invited back to the final interview which will be in a group setting and takes a full day. The first part of the day will be dedicated to presenting a 5 minute lesson plan. Make sure you DO NOT go over or under in time and factor in time for questions. The people interviewing with you and interviewers will act as your students and they will get things wrong on purpose. After, there is a group activity where they observe you and want to see how you work in solving a problem in a group activity. Then, after this is your final personal interview.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

numerous rounds. Be prepared for lots of paperwork. They are really into numbers and look for leadership experiences. At the final interview, you have to do a sample lesson plan and they are very strict about the time.