Teach for America

Average Difficulty
44 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

TFA Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online on their website and filled out an application. There are certain deadlines that will end the application pool. Once the application pool closes, there will be a day where TFA will notify you if you have been selected for a phone interview. Once you set up the appointment for a phone interview, be sure to be ON TIME, as they are very punctual.

Interview Question – Can you tell me a time you failed and what you did?
What attracted you the most about Teach For America?
Why Teach for America and not someplace else?
  Answer Question

TFA Corps Member

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – numerous rounds. Be prepared for lots of paperwork. They are really into numbers and look for leadership experiences. At the final interview, you have to do a sample lesson plan and they are very strict about the time.

Interview Question – Why TFA?   Answer Question

West Lafayette, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2010.

Interview Details – There are multiple levels of interviews and high expectations of the interviewees preparedness for each level. Do not expect the standard questions or procedures. Show passion and excitement for the cause and a willingness to learn from those who have gone before you. Openness to new experiences and people is also important.

Interview Question – Teaching a lesson to other group interviewees was the most difficult. Make sure you have an assessment at the end of your lesson to determine if your "Students" have learned the material. Be prepared for difficult questions during your lesson from TFA staff acting as students.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

Interview Details – Well I'll be completely honest. TFA is not for everyone. The first step is to fill out an online application. This application is very thorough, long, and is not something that you can do last minute. Make sure your resume focuses on your leadership experiences and your essay questions reflect true passion for their cause. Everything needs to be lined up with their mission and their core values. So, do your research.

Next is the phone interview/online activity. Some people skip the actual phone interview and is invited straight to the final interview. I think it just means that everything they were looking for was given and explained on their application. But, if you're offered a phone interview don't be worried. Just be yourself and be prepared. Be familiar with your resume and leadership experience and be ready to explain specific details. If you say you increased something, know the numbers or percentage and how you did so. Be very specific. The online activity is very long. First there is a watch and respond. You'll watch a video and respond. Then there's a test, there isn't a "correct answer" but they just want to see how and what you would do in certain situations. It's not hard though, just make sure that you think things through.

Lastly, there's a three part final interview. It consists of a five minute lesson plan, a group interview/activity, and then a one-on -one interview. All I can say is be prepared. For the five minute lesson plan--practice, practice, practice. Make sure whatever you choose to teach, you KNOW well and you can be completely confident in. Don't over think the lesson. Make sure that you're engaging the audience, have some sort of interaction, and use your time wisely. The group interview/activity. I cannot say this enough, Teach for America is NOT competitive it's selective. They are not looking for a set number of applicants. They are just looking for people who meet their standards. So try not to be a know it all and a control freak. Make sure you're heard, but also give others a chance to be heard. Review their core values: TEAMWORK. Work together as a team. I HIGHLY advise that you get to know the other interviewees and learn to support and encourage each other. It makes the day SO MUCH better. The one on one interview. Mine was awesome. The interviewer was SO nice and kind. Try not to be alarmed or feel like they're not paying attention to you when they're typing on their computer. They're taking notes on you. This is their way of painting a picture of who you are to the admissions team. So, be yourself, be prepared, and be passionate. I know TFA only accepts 11 % of their applicants but don't let that worry you. If you are truly passionate about something, it will show.

Interview Question – I agreed to keep questions confidential. Just know your responses to your application long responses, your resume, and leadership experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation . When offered to the final interview, you are asked to pick 10 locations: under the categories: highly preferred, preferred, and least preferred. You will also be asked to pick grade level and subject as well under the same categories.

If you are offered a position, based off the need of the locations you picked and what you qualify for is how you will be offered a position. Your only options are to accept it or decline.

Chapel Hill, NC

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The application process is fairly easy. Once you get invited back to the phone interview make sure to prepare answers about your organization skills etc. If you get invited back, you will partake in an online activity. After, you may be invited back to the final interview which will be in a group setting and takes a full day. The first part of the day will be dedicated to presenting a 5 minute lesson plan. Make sure you DO NOT go over or under in time and factor in time for questions. The people interviewing with you and interviewers will act as your students and they will get things wrong on purpose. After, there is a group activity where they observe you and want to see how you work in solving a problem in a group activity. Then, after this is your final personal interview.

Interview Question – Why would you quit TFA?   View Answers (2)

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Teach for America in May 2011.

Interview Details – Got in easily

Interview Question – Under what scenario would you leave TFA?   View Answer

Provo, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Teach for America in September 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview, In person interview, teaching interview

Interview Question – Probably, when they asked to look at my planner to see my time management skills.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation since pay is determined by where you're assigned.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2009.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview. Questions regarding how you handle stress, organization, you beliefs about education, background, etc. Interviewer was easy going and friendly. 2nd interview was an all-day process at the regional office. 9 hours- the morning was all individual work and group role playing. I took an assessment, role played a school scenario in a group of four (they were looking for collaborative skills, I believe), and presented a 5 minute lesson to the other 11 interviewees and 4 evaluators. Break for lunch and then I waited until I was called for the one on one interview. They asked about my educational background, organizational skills, motivations for joining the corps, and my visions for my own future as well as that in education.

Interview Question – I really don't remember. They really want people who are organized, passionate, work well with a group, and driven to make positive change.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. You get paid what teachers in your placement district get paid.

TFA Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – You fill out an online application. After a couple weeks, you find out if you've been invited to a phone interview. After the phone interview, you find out if you're invited to a final interview where you have to present a 5 minute lesson plan, a group activity, and then schedule an individual interview.
The in-person interview is basically the same thing as the phone interview. It was a very tedious process with a lot of waiting. They focus mostly on accomplishments you have received. Prepare for the teaching lesson by practicing beforehand. It'll help a lot! When they say you only get a certain amount of time, they mean it!

Interview Questions

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – I applied online, then got through to the in-person interview without the phone call interview. I did a 5-minute lesson plan presentation, discussed some pre-interview readings, and then chatted with two people in person about why I wanted to do TFA. Overall was a very positive and enjoyable interview process.

Interview Question – Have you ever quit anything?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – My work situation was still very much up in the air and I would have had to commit hundreds of dollars in training before knowing whether my work situation was secure.