Teach for America Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grinnell, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Grinnell, IA) in September 2013.

Interview

The Teach For America interview has three parts. I would say it is very time consuming and thorough. They look for very driven individuals with Type A personalities or are extremely passionate. You start with a phone interview that will ask about your greatest leadership responsibilities. If you move on you answer questions about yourself, and respond to video questions. You will need two outside references to complete part of this section. Finally, you do a mini-lesson and answer 1:1 questions. The lesson can be on anything just prepare for it and bring all your energy. You just need to show that you have high energy and that you are ready to try and learn.

Interview Questions

• How does race and identity play a role in the classroom?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

online application, phone interview, final interview.
    I skipped the phone interview and was directed straight to the final interview so I can't comment on the phone interview.
    The final interview consisted of a 5 minute lesson plan, a group activity and a personal interview.
    for the five minute lesson plan, I recommend doing something with visual aids and something creative. The lower grade levels I think are easier for this. Definitely video tape yourself practicing the lesson with all of your aids and practice on your friends. Listen to their feedback and improve your lesson.
    For the group activity, you will have a scenario and you will have to resolve an issue. try to stick out. I immediately took on the role of scribe and directed our discussion. I said, ok does anyone have a preference about taking notes and when everyone said they had bad writing, I said I was happy to. Then I asked who would like to speak first, and when I ended up giving my opinion last, I made sure to include new information. I also validated other people's opinions, both similar and dissimilar from my own. It seems important to convey that you are open to construct criticism and other world views.
    The personal interview--I didn't think mine went too well to be completely honest. I felt that I was rambling, but I hope it came off as impassioned. Really, I think they just want to know of your leadership qualities and the challenges you have overcome.

Interview Questions

• What are your methods of organization?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Online application. Notification of either going on to final interview or a phone interview (I skipped the phone interview.) Then online activity (about biases and how you would handle certain situations.) Following the online activity, there is a full-day in-person interview with a sample teaching lesson, group activity, and individual interview.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest challenge you have overcome and how can you bring that experience to improve yourself in the future?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was initially a group interview where you first concur a strict five minute lesson plan. Then you are presented with a scenario and have to work together as a group to come to a solution. Then you have your private 30 minute interview where you're asked questions that further clarify the information you gave on the application.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any leadership skills?   1 Answer

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a notification that I had been offered a phone interview. I schedule the interview and a few days later I received a call from a rep and they interviewed/interrogated me about education, previous work, leadership, etc.

Interview Questions

• Name a position of leadership that has been particularly important to you...   Answer Question

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I first met with a campus representative at my university and then was invited to a phone interview. The interviewer focused on my experiences with education and mentoring, asking how that has prepared me to teach a classroom. She asked many typical questions about overcoming challenges and how you work as a team. Then there is also an in-person interview, but I didn't make it that far in the process.

Interview Questions

• When is a time you disagreed with a coworker and how did you deal with the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America (Virginia Beach, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

This was my phone interview... I applied to the Mar 6, 15 deadline. Was called by a wonderful alumni, the interview is mostly behavioral based. She explained a little about the mission and talked about who they are seeking. She was a 2013 alumni member. She was very patient and you could hear a lot of papers shuffling in the background. Wonderful interview, very professional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Stanford, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Interview process is very extensive: your original application includes leadership roles that you've held, a letter of intent, your undergraduate courses and GPA, etc. The next phase is a 30-45 minute phone interview with a TFA representative.

Last step is the in-person group interview - you prepare and implement a 5-minute mini-lesson plan like you would in a classroom. Your lesson plan must include an objective, be interactive, should check for student understanding, and fit within the time frame. The rest of your group acts as students would/should, so you see everyone else's lesson plan as well. Then you participate in a problem solving challenge with your team to find a solution to a scenario that could take place if you enter a classroom. At some point during the day, you do a individual math assessment as well. Lastly, you have your one-on-one interview with one of the TFA interviewers. These interviews last about 45 minutes, if I remember correctly, and discuss your best qualifications. They very explicitly ask you what, if anything, would prevent you from fulfilling your two year commitment, which is probably a pretty important question.

Interview Questions

• They very explicitly ask you what, if anything, would prevent you from fulfilling your two year commitment, which is probably a pretty important question.   1 Answer

Negotiation

n/a, AmeriCorps

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

TFA follows the schedule they provided. It takes about two months to complete the entire process depending on when you apply. I had a phone interview that went very well. They asked questions related to unrelated previous experience. I felt weird about it but talked about it with confidence. It took about 30 min. The final interview was not as hard as I had anticipated. I went in prepared and rocked it.

Teach for America Corp Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Online Application, Phone Interview, Final Interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

N/A