Teach for America

Average Difficulty
161 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Teach for America in August 2013.

Interview Details – Exteremely long and througoh interview process. only recruit the highest achieving students. your area of study will have no effect on if you are hired or not and it will not affect what area you are place to teach

Interview Question – Tell us you biggest weakness   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – I first filled out the online application and met with a recruiter from my school. Then I had a phone interview, which was very nice. I did some online tests and then was offered a final in-person interview, which lasted all day.

Interview Question – The sample teaching lesson was the most difficult for me because the outlines were very vague.   Answer Question

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2013.

Interview Details – The initial process begins with an online application with areas specified for personal, educational, and professional information, as well as a few questions regarding interest in the organization. If you qualify for an interview, you're notified through email and are given some tips on how to best prepare for a phone interview. The phone interview is rather brief (about 25 minutes) and it feels somewhat rushed even though they try to stress that you take your time. The questions asked are based on what your responses are to their prompts. If you are selected after the phone interview, you move along to a group session in which you meet with TFA teachers and administrators. During this part of the process, there are group activities and prompts to go through. More cuts are made after this point.

Interview Question – How have you handled issues with coworkers in previous positions?   View Answer

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – 30 min phone interview intially - fairly standard questions, next step was half day in person interview where you had to present a practice 5 minute lesson plan, and participate in a group discussion observed by interviewers, and then a one on one interview with a teach for america staff member

Interview Question – nothing too difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in April 2014.

Interview Details – One phone interview, and in called into final interview. Process included 5 minute lesson plan, group activity, and personal interview.

Interview Question – Questions were straight forward   Answer Question

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – Online application, followed by phone interview. They just asked about items that were on my resume, as well as some behavioral questions. Finally did a group assessment, followed by a one one with role play.

Interview Question – There weren't any surprise question, plus you were given a lot of time to prepare for the role play.   Answer Question

Teacher

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process is very extensive because there are 3 aspects when applying for TFA. You should dedicate time (enough time) to finish the application efficiently. The application consist of extended response questions, demographic questions and etc. If accepted to the next step you will be invited to a phone interview, which is like a typical interview. Asking follow up questions and getting to know who you are. The last step is the in-person interview which consist of a teaching portion, group activity and a one on one interview with one of the interviewers.

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2013.

Interview Details – The application process was intense, and thorough, but well worth the acceptance and final reward of the offer of position. All initial interview phone calls, phases/rounds of interview process were well planned, and they gave sufficient information to help you prepare for the phone call(s) or assessment tasks.

Interview Question – I was asked to go into very specific details as to challenges that I've faced in my employment, and how was the situation(s) handled from beginning to end; they are very concerned with your ability to work well with others (especially administration, set leadership and your direct supervisors/co-professionals)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no cause/need to negotiate. This is a non-profit organization that connects you to the direct channel of employment. You are given a ball-park figure of initial earning potential. However, I believe that the ability to negotiate will come in terms of working with the school system/principal of the school at which you work.

Teacher

I interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

Interview Details – I received a call promptly at my designated time and the interview began. The interview solid me a few times to write down some of my answers.I think that preparing yourself with one of the many teacher interview question on the internet will give your an overall idea of the type of questions that the tfa person will ask you.

Interview Question – What are your strengths?
Tell be about a goal/task that you accomplished.
Festive a conflict you get had with a coworker and how was it resolved
  View Answer

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The online application is very thorough. I recommend meting with a recruiter to help answer any questions you amy have. Some applicants are required to do a phone interview; others are advanced to the final interview day. Before the final interview day, there are many forms to complete and files to upload. This takes time! You also need to secure two recommenders and one reference. The final interview day includes a sample lesson, group activity, and individual interview.

Interview Question – (I have not yet participated in the final interview)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Interviews for Top Jobs at Teach for America

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teach for America Teacher interview questions and advice. All 161 interview reviews posted anonymously by Teach for America employees and interview candidates.