Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Teach for America (UC Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Full-day, includes group exercises, and one-on-one questions. Also, had to prepare a mini-teaching lesson. The group exercise was an activity to gauge leadership role, and team role. The mini-teaching lesson was a test to gauge ability to deliver a short succinct 10 minute lesson.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I love what the organization stands for, but I was very unimpressed with the interview process. I made it to the phone interview, and had prepared to answer questions about the achievement gap and the public education system. I was asked some questions about homework assignments and my class attendance.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest class you took during your undergrad?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

It was weird, not conversation-like at all. The phone interview was fine and more conversational than the final interview. That portion re-asked phone interview questions (if they weren't satisfied with them?) but you just felt like you were repeating yourself. It was very forced. The teaching part was a breeze, the interview part was weird.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you've had a disagreement with a coworker and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC).

Interview

The phone interview is first, and is anywhere from 30minutes to 1 hour. Some people get invited straight to the final interview, though. The final interview process seemed to be heavily dependent upon your sample teaching lesson. Be sure to be creative! I wish I had known what to expect prior to my interview. The guidelines were so vague I had no clue if what I was doing was what was expected of me. There will also be a group activity where you have a certain amount of time to come up with a decision about a given scenario as a group.

Interview Questions

• What was your hardest college course?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA).

Interview

First there was an Online Application which included resumee, letter of intent and also transcript. This was followed by a phone interview. I applied twice. One year I was not asked to go beyond phone interview. (I was informed I was not selected via email.) The second time I applied I passed the phone interview, was notified a few days later that I was selected for an in-person, day-long assessment which would include a 20 min teaching lesson & interview. I feel my lesson went well, however maybe the interview didn't. I requested to know more after receiving a rejection via email. Since there were 2 evaporators there it would have been nice to have a couple of reasons as to why, especially since I had applied before. I wrote an email to this effect but was told there were too many applicants. Since I did not know why I had been rejected I did not apply again.

Interview Questions

• Q: What would you do to improve schools? Q: Under what circumstances would you leave? Q: Why do you think you would be a valuable teacher?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

It was the phone interview which is the next part from the application. It took about 30 to 40 minutes. It was not too bad. Although they did call sooner than we had planned to converse. I believe they called at about 8 in the morning when the interview was supposed to be 10am.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online, and then was asked to have an interview over the phone. The phone interview was fairly standard, although they focused almost entirely on only one of the activities on my resume. The process is a little frustrating, in that after I completed the phone interview and was told that I had made it to the in-person interview, I need to complete the online activity. However, they did not open the online activity immediately, and I only had a few days in which I was expected to complete it. They also did not immediately send out requests to the people I had down for my recommendation letters. The in-person interview is a full day.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

Interview

The process starts with a recruiter contacting you to help you keep the time line of the application. The application takes approximately 2 hours of duplicated information. Throughout the process they explain that they are looking for corps members that "look like" their students. They explain that they are referring to minorities. The next step is the phone interview. They explain again that they are looking for corps members that "look like" their students, but it is not a requirement. You then find out about 2 weeks later of you are invited to the in person final interview. During introductions the speakers ate minorities and again explain that they are looking for corps members that "look like" their students, but they look at other skills as well. On this interview you will do a 5 minute lesson plan- keep it simple and engage others.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Dayton, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a very long process. I skipped the phone interview and went directly to the final interview. I did my virtually with other 5 applicants. It was hard to do group activities virtually. Some people would talk at the same time as you and not know it or the video would freeze. It was a never ending struggle.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in TFA?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Saint Louis, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

Began with a recruiter email. I then applied online and was contacted that I moved on to the next stage. I then had a Phone interview, a Group interview, and a one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• Have I ever quit anything?   1 Answer
    • What am I most apprehensive about in this position?   1 Answer

Another opportunity was better for me.