Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

It was the phone interview which is the next part from the application. It took about 30 to 40 minutes. It was not too bad. Although they did call sooner than we had planned to converse. I believe they called at about 8 in the morning when the interview was supposed to be 10am.

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

The process starts with a recruiter contacting you to help you keep the time line of the application. The application takes approximately 2 hours of duplicated information. Throughout the process they explain that they are looking for corps members that "look like" their students. They explain that they are referring to minorities.
    The next step is the phone interview. They explain again that they are looking for corps members that "look like" their students, but it is not a requirement. You then find out about 2 weeks later of you are invited to the in person final interview. During introductions the speakers ate minorities and again explain that they are looking for corps members that "look like" their students, but they look at other skills as well.
    On this interview you will do a 5 minute lesson plan- keep it simple and engage others.

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2015.

Very straightforward phone interview. Standard questions. Be yourself, but be serious about TFA. I enjoyed the interview experience thoroughly. The interview highlights what TFA stands for and without saying, they let you know what they're seeking.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a difficult challenge that you've faced and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Online application, phone interview, in-person interview, Acceptance (specific location) - You cannot negotiate the location after you are accepted, you either accept the position or don't. I was place in a rural location in Washington and that means you can only apply to schools in that region.

Interview Questions
    • What would cause you to leave this position in the next two years?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in January 2015.

The interview process was long and way too serious. There are like 5 steps before you even get accepted. Then from there you have to accept before you get a placement. I made it to the phone interview process but did not make it past that. I thought I had a good phone interview, but something that happens. I think they do look for people who have quite a bit of experience with children. Also if you do get past the phone interview and in person interview and get an offer, you could get an offer anywhere and for any grade. It felt like you were gambling.

Interview Questions
    • When did you disagree with a policy your manager has in place and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2014.

Got contacted by one of the recruiting manager and applied online. Online application basically ask you to fill out education background, work experiences, and essays. After you submit online application you will get to pick phone interview dates and time. You will also need two letters of recommendation and references. Before preparing, it is very helpful to look at online website and videos regarding TFA to know about the culture and vision.

Teacher Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Teach for America recruiters are extremely invested. I ended up not pursuing further interviews past preliminary rounds, but had an incredible experience. If you can get in contact with a campus recruiter, they will genuinely fight for you to get the job. It stinks that you don't know what location you will be placed in, but otherwise recruiting was a really pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • Being creative and providing a sincere interest in the mission of Teach for America is extremely important to the interviewer.   Answer Question

I ended up changing my graduation date and no longer pursuing Teach for America in the process of this change.

Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America in October 2014.

I submitted the online form requesting information and was immediately contacted by a university recruiter (the one responsible for my university). She was very nice and asked to set up an informal phone conversation, which ended up feeling like an interview, but when very well! She very SUPER friendly and easy to talk to (she was very young). She engaged me in issues concerning racial and educational inequality. I felt like I was talking to a close friend.

After submitting the online application (didn't take too long, only 3-4 questions that require a couple short paragraphs - although I spent about a week on them), I was accelerated to the final round of interviews.

This required that I submit teacher recs, complete an online activity, and prepare for the interview day, which included a 5 min sample teach, a short group activity, and a 30 minute interview.

The sample teach went really well! I chose something simple (lines, segments, and rays). The group activity was a little weird because it felt weird working with others as the TFA person watched close by and took notes.

I did not feel that the interview went well. The woman warned me that she would be typing during the interview, but it felt unsettling being unable to make eye contact during the 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • To be honest, all of the questions felt unexpected. I was anticipating that they would ask questions concerning educational inequity in the US to gauge my passion, because an interview seems like the most appropriate way to do so. However, I was asked questions about my leadership on campus, classes, challenges I have faced, difficult people I have worked with.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Insanely long interview process only to be assigned a subject level that I stated I did not want. It was thus very frustrating. They need to be more upfront about the fact that some one requesting older students can go through the long process, get accepted, only to get assigned to pre-k.

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in August 2014.

There is a lengthy process here. Which is good, they are very thorough and it is scheduled out for you before it even occurrs. You submit a resume and lengthy application. Then they let you know via E-mail if you will be set up for a phone interview. If you make it this far, you are allowed to pick the time of your phone interview. If you pass this they let you know via E-mail and you must have multiple references fill out something on their website about you and you set up an interview at one of the locations they pick.

Interview Questions
    • "What was the most diffcult situation you faced, how did you handle it, and how did this help you to grow?"   Answer Question