Teach for America

Updated Jan 11, 2015

3.5

172 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Online application, phone interview, in-person interview, Acceptance (specific location) - You cannot negotiate the location after you are accepted, you either accept the position or don't. I was place in a rural location in Washington and that means you can only apply to schools in that region.

Interview Questions
  • What would cause you to leave this position in the next two years?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America in October 2014.

I submitted the online form requesting information and was immediately contacted by a university recruiter (the one responsible for my university). She was very nice and asked to set up an informal phone conversation, which ended up feeling like an interview, but when very well! She very SUPER friendly and easy to talk to (she was very young). She engaged me in issues concerning racial and educational inequality. I felt like I was talking to a close friend.

After submitting the online application (didn't take too long, only 3-4 questions that require a couple short paragraphs - although I spent about a week on them), I was accelerated to the final round of interviews.

This required that I submit teacher recs, complete an online activity, and prepare for the interview day, which included a 5 min sample teach, a short group activity, and a 30 minute interview.

The sample teach went really well! I chose something simple (lines, segments, and rays). The group activity was a little weird because it felt weird working with others as the TFA person watched close by and took notes.

I did not feel that the interview went well. The woman warned me that she would be typing during the interview, but it felt unsettling being unable to make eye contact during the 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • To be honest, all of the questions felt unexpected. I was anticipating that they would ask questions concerning educational inequity in the US to gauge my passion, because an interview seems like the most appropriate way to do so. However, I was asked questions about my leadership on campus, classes, challenges I have faced, difficult people I have worked with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in August 2014.

There is a lengthy process here. Which is good, they are very thorough and it is scheduled out for you before it even occurrs. You submit a resume and lengthy application. Then they let you know via E-mail if you will be set up for a phone interview. If you make it this far, you are allowed to pick the time of your phone interview. If you pass this they let you know via E-mail and you must have multiple references fill out something on their website about you and you set up an interview at one of the locations they pick.

Interview Questions
    • "What was the most diffcult situation you faced, how did you handle it, and how did this help you to grow?"   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America in April 2013.

After submitting an application, I was emailed about setting up a phone interview. I prepared meticulously and was well prepared. The questions on this site helped a lot. More than a week after the phone interview I received an email asking to interview in person at one of their campus partners since my university had no liaisons. I traveled to CT for the interview. About 15 others were also interviewing. Before the interview we were asked to prepare a mock lesson. At the interview the interviewees were the mock students. After everyone presented their lesson, we broke up into group discussions. We had to discuss a problem at the school (an administrative issue) and how we would deal with it. Lastly, there was a one on one interview. To be honest, my impression after this was that I got the job- that's how positive the interviewer was with me.

Interview Questions
    • They asked why you wanted to be a teacher and what made you feel you were up to the challenge of teaching in an urban setting, with children and parents that are often apathetic to the school/education system   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in April 2014.

Had to fill out lots of online questionnaires first before being notified of phone interview, next was in person interview where you had to deliver a sample lesson that you would teach.

Interview Questions
    • They harped on very small parts of my resume and when I tried to move on they wanted to keep knowing more about a small position I held instead of some of my larger roles.   View Answer

I heard several accounts of Teach for America actually taking away jobs from professional teachers because the school board had a contract to supply a certain amount of jobs to TFA.

Teacher Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Teach for America recruiters are extremely invested. I ended up not pursuing further interviews past preliminary rounds, but had an incredible experience. If you can get in contact with a campus recruiter, they will genuinely fight for you to get the job. It stinks that you don't know what location you will be placed in, but otherwise recruiting was a really pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • Being creative and providing a sincere interest in the mission of Teach for America is extremely important to the interviewer.   Answer Question

I ended up changing my graduation date and no longer pursuing Teach for America in the process of this change.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2012.

Interview process was extensive. Through the interview process they also do a good job of having you drink the Kool aid and convincing you that their program is worth participating in.

Interview Questions

Despite all the prestige, at the end of the day I didn't want to teach.

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The application and interview process is clearly defined on their website. It consists of three stages: extensive application, phone interview, and final interview. The application and phone interview are straight forward enough. In the phone interview they asked questions like "Describe a conflict that you had with another co-worker or person and how you resolved it" or "How do you stay organized." The final interview consisted of a five minute teaching sample (be prepared beforehand), a group problem solving exercise, and then a one-on-one interview. I did my final interview virtually through WebX. So, the example teaching lesson required a little more preparation than an in-person interview. In the one-on-one interview, the interviewer asked followup questions with my resume, phone interview, and some questions about the problem solving exercises. Some of the questions I got were: "What would cause you to resign from TFA" and "What would you do if you were offered a middle school math contract instead of a high school English contract."

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think schools are the heart of the community?   View Answer

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Teach for America in May 2010.

I went through several rounds of interviews including the final interview. The final interview was an in person, group, interactive interview consisting of a teaching presentation, a person one on one interview and mock interview with a "principal". The teaching presentation was on a subject of your choice and the one on one interview focused on your ability to cope in a new and challenging environment. The mock interview focused on the challenges of being in underfunded and understaffed teaching environments.

Teacher Interview

Insanely long interview process only to be assigned a subject level that I stated I did not want. It was thus very frustrating. They need to be more upfront about the fact that some one requesting older students can go through the long process, get accepted, only to get assigned to pre-k.