Teach for America

Average Difficulty
162 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The online application is very thorough. I recommend meting with a recruiter to help answer any questions you amy have. Some applicants are required to do a phone interview; others are advanced to the final interview day. Before the final interview day, there are many forms to complete and files to upload. This takes time! You also need to secure two recommenders and one reference. The final interview day includes a sample lesson, group activity, and individual interview.

Interview Question – (I have not yet participated in the final interview)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2014.

Interview Details – Rigorous process. Includes online application with essay questions, phone interview, online activity, and comprehensive in-person interview.

Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The interview process was tedious but not too difficult. They pretend like any and everyone is eligible and actually has a shot at getting accepted. They accept around 12% of applicants, so beware. The interviewers are very friendly and make you feel at ease. Just be yourself.

Interview Question – I cannot say   Answer Question

Interview Details – phone interview was about resume

Interview Question – have you ever been in a conflict with someone you worked with and what did you do about it   Answer Question

Clemson, SC

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The interview process starts by you applying online. After applying online they let you know if you have been invited to a phone interview. Someone that previously taught in the corps will be your interviewer. They ask you about your leadership experience and about things on your resume. Be prepared to speak a lot about what you have on your resume, I wouldn't fudge anything if I were you because they will ask you about it. Next they let you know within a week or two if you have gotten invited to the final interview. In the final interview you have to give a 5 minute lesson and watch the other people in your group do so. In my interview there were 2 interviewers that asked stupid questions (on purpose) to see how you handled them. For the final interview there is also a one-on-one interview where they ask basically the same questions about your resume that the phone interviewer did so be prepared to talk about your resume again. Before the final interview readings are provided to you... DONT FORGET TO READ THEM! They asked me a few questions about them. After your final interview you hear back within a month or so depending on which date you applied for.

Interview Question – What would ever make you quit TFA?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I believe in and am passionate about their cause but am not sure the direction they are taking is right for me.

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online before the 3rd deadline. Was invited to a phone interview and an online test. Phone interview was very structured and scripted. Hard to connect on a personal level with the interviewer. Phone interview lasted around 30-45 minutes and consisted of 6-7 questions about resume. Did not get invited to final interview.

Interview Question – Make sure to know TFA's core values.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Practice, practice, practice. The teaching portion of the interview is a big deal. Five minutes is not a long time and if you have a larger group, you want to make sure you are using your time and your students (fellow interviewees) wisely. Also, try to prep as much as you can before hand so that you don't go over your set up time.

Interview Question – The most difficult and unexpected question was how you could improve a routine that already works for you.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – The process was relaxed, friendly. The interviewers were very kind and at no time did I feel uncomfortable or unprepared for what would come next. The interviewers did a good job of letting us know from the second we arrived how the schedule for the day would play out. The personal interview was long but enjoyable.

Interview Question – None were difficult; the group-teaching activity was tough though. Practicing with a group of people beforehand vs. individually is a good tactic for not going over time the day of.   Answer Question

Teacher

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

Interview Details – There's an initial application with 300-word responses and other basic information. They will contact you to let you know if you are or aren't invited to the phone interview. The phone interview is half an hour with questions about your past work experiences and questions targeted at understanding how you deal with conflict. After the phone interview, you'll find out if you're invited to the final full-day interview which consists of a group interview as well as a one-on-one interview. Questions are very standard interview questions.

Interview Question – Under what circumstances would you leave TFA?   View Answer

Teacher

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – Collected emails from student campus recruiters. TFA reaches out to you to schedule an interview to talk about what TFA is and how you fit with their mission. Mostly reviewing your resume and your activities and involvement in college.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult. Mostly about why you want to join TFA   Answer Question