Teach for America

Updated Nov 5, 2014

3.5

170 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Teacher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

There's an initial application with 300-word responses and other basic information. They will contact you to let you know if you are or aren't invited to the phone interview. The phone interview is half an hour with questions about your past work experiences and questions targeted at understanding how you deal with conflict. After the phone interview, you'll find out if you're invited to the final full-day interview which consists of a group interview as well as a one-on-one interview. Questions are very standard interview questions.

Interview Questions
  • Under what circumstances would you leave TFA?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

Applied online before the 3rd deadline. Was invited to a phone interview and an online test. Phone interview was very structured and scripted. Hard to connect on a personal level with the interviewer. Phone interview lasted around 30-45 minutes and consisted of 6-7 questions about resume. Did not get invited to final interview.

Teacher Interview

The hiring process is pretty straightforward. First a phone interview, where they try to get an idea of who you are, why you're interested, and what you've done so far. Then, after a few online assignments, a group interview. Mine was on WebEx because I was unable to be on site on the scheduled group interview days. This includes a lesson plan and some role play.

Teacher Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Started with an application then proceeded to a phone interview followed by the final in person interview.

Teacher Interview

Submit Application, if they like you then you'll then have a phone interview, then submit online assignments, and then final round group interviews in which you'll teach a lesson. followed by an individual interview in which you'll get feedback about your lesson. very in depth interview process but it weeds out the people who aren't truly interested

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in August 2013.

Exteremely long and througoh interview process. only recruit the highest achieving students. your area of study will have no effect on if you are hired or not and it will not affect what area you are place to teach

Teacher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Applied online at the last possible day. Got a phone interview. Invited for the final interview but declined

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America.

I was encouraged to apply by my a TFA recruiter at my undergraduate university. I had a background in nonprofit social service work (with hi-risk children and underserved communities) and was about to receive my BA in English Literature.

Even though I wasn't sure if I wanted to work for TFA, I applied online anyway, and was called back to attend a day-long interview with other applicants. We were told to prepare a short lesson, which I did (a poetry lesson). That same day, I had a one-on-one interview which went very well, and they seemed excited to have me join.

Interview Questions
    • Lesson preparation. I had never officially taught younger students before in an academic setting.   View Answer

I was accepted, but ended up deferring because my nonprofit desired that I stay on for another year. TFA accepted my deferral! I was surprised, but I think it was because I wasn't their typical applicant. I was an older student (approx. 24/25 yrs. and had a lot of nonprofit experience). I ended up turning down the position because I decided to go to graduate school for English and poetry.

Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America.

I was contacted for a recruiting interview the summer between my sophomore and junior year in college by TFA. Interestingly enough, I was only contacted because I had signed up for TFA's contact list. I was just interested in TFA emails but I got much more. I spoke directly with a recruiter, and scheduled a phone interview. We spoke for around 40 minutes, but the interview was cut short by another appointment. I found the recruiter friendly, casual, and encouraging. After our conversation we continued to stay in contact. She would email me every couple weeks or so and really seemed interested in my opinion on education reform. I will be applying for TFA in the fall and have been really encouraged by her. All because I signed up for a silly mailing list.

Interview Questions
    • When did you recognize the education gap in your own life?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application. I honestly think the most important part of the application is the essay. Read over their website extremely thoroughly and make sure you don't raise any red flags by sounding like a privileged college student who wants to come save the poor urban kids.

Phone Interview. Pretty straight forward. The interviewer was nice. 70% of the time was spent on one bullet of my resume. Don't know if that's normal lol. They ask questions about how your experiences relate to what you'd be doing in the classroom.

In-Person Interview
    Some of the questions were repeats of questions I'd been asked on the phone. They also asked a few questions about the online video. They asked how do I keep organized/manage my time, we talked about my resume some more. There was a role playing portion where the interviewer acted as a school administrator and I was a teacher requesting something.

Group Activity
    In my group this was excruciating. There were a number of douches that actively tried to monopolize all of the talking time. Getting in a word was difficult. It definitely felt like a competition lol. I would say try to make 4 or 5 good points, but don't be the main person talking.

Lesson Plan
    THE SIMPLER THE BETTER when it comes to your lesson. And don't procrastinate on it! It will take a lot longer than you think. I would say don't start it less than 5 days in advance. Present it at least 5 times to friends, timed. That's where I messed up *tear* lol

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you missed an assignment/deadline.   Answer Question