Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Madison, WI) in February 2014.

Interview

Rigorous process. Includes online application with essay questions, phone interview, online activity, and comprehensive in-person interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Employee in Clemson, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Clemson, SC).

Interview

The interview process starts by you applying online. After applying online they let you know if you have been invited to a phone interview. Someone that previously taught in the corps will be your interviewer. They ask you about your leadership experience and about things on your resume. Be prepared to speak a lot about what you have on your resume, I wouldn't fudge anything if I were you because they will ask you about it. Next they let you know within a week or two if you have gotten invited to the final interview. In the final interview you have to give a 5 minute lesson and watch the other people in your group do so. In my interview there were 2 interviewers that asked stupid questions (on purpose) to see how you handled them. For the final interview there is also a one-on-one interview where they ask basically the same questions about your resume that the phone interviewer did so be prepared to talk about your resume again. Before the final interview readings are provided to you... DONT FORGET TO READ THEM! They asked me a few questions about them. After your final interview you hear back within a month or so depending on which date you applied for.

Interview Questions

I believe in and am passionate about their cause but am not sure the direction they are taking is right for me.

Teacher Interview

Interview

Practice, practice, practice. The teaching portion of the interview is a big deal. Five minutes is not a long time and if you have a larger group, you want to make sure you are using your time and your students (fellow interviewees) wisely. Also, try to prep as much as you can before hand so that you don't go over your set up time.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult and unexpected question was how you could improve a routine that already works for you.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Interview

The process was relaxed, friendly. The interviewers were very kind and at no time did I feel uncomfortable or unprepared for what would come next. The interviewers did a good job of letting us know from the second we arrived how the schedule for the day would play out. The personal interview was long but enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• None were difficult; the group-teaching activity was tough though. Practicing with a group of people beforehand vs. individually is a good tactic for not going over time the day of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Miami, FL) in December 2013.

Interview

The application process was intense, and thorough, but well worth the acceptance and final reward of the offer of position. All initial interview phone calls, phases/rounds of interview process were well planned, and they gave sufficient information to help you prepare for the phone call(s) or assessment tasks.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to go into very specific details as to challenges that I've faced in my employment, and how was the situation(s) handled from beginning to end; they are very concerned with your ability to work well with others (especially administration, set leadership and your direct supervisors/co-professionals)   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no cause/need to negotiate. This is a non-profit organization that connects you to the direct channel of employment. You are given a ball-park figure of initial earning potential. However, I believe that the ability to negotiate will come in terms of working with the school system/principal of the school at which you work.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in November 2013.

Interview

The initial process begins with an online application with areas specified for personal, educational, and professional information, as well as a few questions regarding interest in the organization. If you qualify for an interview, you're notified through email and are given some tips on how to best prepare for a phone interview. The phone interview is rather brief (about 25 minutes) and it feels somewhat rushed even though they try to stress that you take your time. The questions asked are based on what your responses are to their prompts. If you are selected after the phone interview, you move along to a group session in which you meet with TFA teachers and administrators. During this part of the process, there are group activities and prompts to go through. More cuts are made after this point.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled issues with coworkers in previous positions?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Collected emails from student campus recruiters. TFA reaches out to you to schedule an interview to talk about what TFA is and how you fit with their mission. Mostly reviewing your resume and your activities and involvement in college.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult. Mostly about why you want to join TFA   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

Interview

There's an initial application with 300-word responses and other basic information. They will contact you to let you know if you are or aren't invited to the phone interview. The phone interview is half an hour with questions about your past work experiences and questions targeted at understanding how you deal with conflict. After the phone interview, you'll find out if you're invited to the final full-day interview which consists of a group interview as well as a one-on-one interview. Questions are very standard interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Under what circumstances would you leave TFA?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online before the 3rd deadline. Was invited to a phone interview and an online test. Phone interview was very structured and scripted. Hard to connect on a personal level with the interviewer. Phone interview lasted around 30-45 minutes and consisted of 6-7 questions about resume. Did not get invited to final interview.

Teacher Interview

Interview

The hiring process is pretty straightforward. First a phone interview, where they try to get an idea of who you are, why you're interested, and what you've done so far. Then, after a few online assignments, a group interview. Mine was on WebEx because I was unable to be on site on the scheduled group interview days. This includes a lesson plan and some role play.