Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2015

3.5

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Started with an application then proceeded to a phone interview followed by the final in person interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Teacher Interview

Interview

Submit Application, if they like you then you'll then have a phone interview, then submit online assignments, and then final round group interviews in which you'll teach a lesson. followed by an individual interview in which you'll get feedback about your lesson. very in depth interview process but it weeds out the people who aren't truly interested

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Charlotte, NC) in August 2013.

Interview

Exteremely long and througoh interview process. only recruit the highest achieving students. your area of study will have no effect on if you are hired or not and it will not affect what area you are place to teach

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Applied online at the last possible day. Got a phone interview. Invited for the final interview but declined

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

I was encouraged to apply by my a TFA recruiter at my undergraduate university. I had a background in nonprofit social service work (with hi-risk children and underserved communities) and was about to receive my BA in English Literature.

Even though I wasn't sure if I wanted to work for TFA, I applied online anyway, and was called back to attend a day-long interview with other applicants. We were told to prepare a short lesson, which I did (a poetry lesson). That same day, I had a one-on-one interview which went very well, and they seemed excited to have me join.

Interview Questions

• Lesson preparation. I had never officially taught younger students before in an academic setting.   1 Answer

I was accepted, but ended up deferring because my nonprofit desired that I stay on for another year. TFA accepted my deferral! I was surprised, but I think it was because I wasn't their typical applicant. I was an older student (approx. 24/25 yrs. and had a lot of nonprofit experience). I ended up turning down the position because I decided to go to graduate school for English and poetry.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I was contacted for a recruiting interview the summer between my sophomore and junior year in college by TFA. Interestingly enough, I was only contacted because I had signed up for TFA's contact list. I was just interested in TFA emails but I got much more. I spoke directly with a recruiter, and scheduled a phone interview. We spoke for around 40 minutes, but the interview was cut short by another appointment. I found the recruiter friendly, casual, and encouraging. After our conversation we continued to stay in contact. She would email me every couple weeks or so and really seemed interested in my opinion on education reform. I will be applying for TFA in the fall and have been really encouraged by her. All because I signed up for a silly mailing list.

Interview Questions

• When did you recognize the education gap in your own life?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Interview

Application. I honestly think the most important part of the application is the essay. Read over their website extremely thoroughly and make sure you don't raise any red flags by sounding like a privileged college student who wants to come save the poor urban kids.

Phone Interview. Pretty straight forward. The interviewer was nice. 70% of the time was spent on one bullet of my resume. Don't know if that's normal lol. They ask questions about how your experiences relate to what you'd be doing in the classroom.

In-Person Interview
    Some of the questions were repeats of questions I'd been asked on the phone. They also asked a few questions about the online video. They asked how do I keep organized/manage my time, we talked about my resume some more. There was a role playing portion where the interviewer acted as a school administrator and I was a teacher requesting something.

Group Activity
    In my group this was excruciating. There were a number of douches that actively tried to monopolize all of the talking time. Getting in a word was difficult. It definitely felt like a competition lol. I would say try to make 4 or 5 good points, but don't be the main person talking.

Lesson Plan
    THE SIMPLER THE BETTER when it comes to your lesson. And don't procrastinate on it! It will take a lot longer than you think. I would say don't start it less than 5 days in advance. Present it at least 5 times to friends, timed. That's where I messed up *tear* lol

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you missed an assignment/deadline.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Long, tedious process. Went to a group interest meeting that seemed to be glossing over a lot of the material. I asked how the process of being in a child's life for only 1-2 years would have a long term effect and the recruiter just beamed and told me what a delightful question I had asked. Basically, she said a lot of euphemisms for personal satisfaction.
    All of the interview questions fall into three categories:
    2 questions on why TFA, why teaching etc
    then half on whatever leadership position you wrote about in your app
    and half about how you overcame challenges and difficulties

Interview Questions

• Very, very in-depth questions about your leadership position, so make sure you remember it well, and the lessons you learned from it.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Female interviewer called for 20-30 minute interview
    -was slightly awkward
    -asked questions relevant only to statistics and numbers
    -when answering questions about past experiences, interviewer sounded dissatisfied anytime numbers weren't involved in the response
    -seemed to only care about numeric results and nothing else
    -felt very uncomfortable after interview
    -changed my perspective on the organization

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC).

Interview

Fill out the online application. You will then receive an email to schedule further information out online. They will email you throughout the process, but not for every deadline. so make sure you check your online work space [interview central page]. There are typically 3-4 interviews [including the final interview]. The final interview includes different sessions that are group based, 1:1, also you will have to teach a lesson.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness and how do you plan to improve it? The questions were not very hard, but show you are prepared.   Answer Question