Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014

3.5

163 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is long and involved. Overall, there is nothing that is too difficult. The first part is a very simple online application, which involves submitting a resume and letter of intent. After that, there is a phone interview and you are required to fill out additional online forms. Next, there is a full day interview where you teach a sample lesson, discuss a topic in a group, and then have a one on one interview.

Interview Questions
  • They asked me about different types of challenges I have faced - personal, academic etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2011.

The process was clearly defined and handled rather promptly. I had a phone interview and then progressed to an in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of a mini-lesson, a group discussion, and a one-on-one interview. They worked hard to be personable and put us all at ease. The group discussion felt a little forced was a relatively minor part of the process, whereas the one-on-one interview appeared to be the most important part of the day.

Interview Questions
    • The mini-lesson itself was difficult to devise, as it was a challenge to incorporate a full lesson within such a short time period.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2012.

Submitted a long and detailed online application, which included references, transcripts, answers to questions, work and educational history and personal questions. I was then put straight through to the final interview. (Sometimes there is a phone interview after submission of the online application). The final interview is all day long. First you are to present a 5 minute lesson plan on a topic of your choice. It is really anything you want to teach, at any grade level. If other participants don't ask questions the interviewers will. Often they will answer a question posed incorrectly to see how you respond. After this you break into smaller groups and participate in a group activity reading and analyzing problems that may arise in a hypothetical conversation and how you would handle it. After that it is lunch and you sign up for your time to complete a 1 on 1 interview which lasts about 30 minutes. Here there is a role play scenario, a lot of background information, and a generally pretty laid back interview. When it is over you leave and will get a decision in a few weeks.

Interview Questions
    • no real difficult questions just be ready to explain why you want to teach, and how you will handle problems if they arise. The hypothetical story in the 1 on 1 interview doesn't really have a solution, it is a problem you will not be able to solve so just learn when to give up and allow the interviewer (who plays a principal of a school) to keep his/her ruling.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Skipped phone interview. Taught a lesson on public speaking then interviewed about answers to a case study involving a principal who didn't want to implement some program.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult but be prepared to answer in a lot of detail how you keep organized   Answer Question

The college where I was supposed to get license was wayyyyyy to expensive and I read a lot I mean a lot of bad reviews of teach for america that soured my acceptance. Even school board meetings where teachers shunned TFA.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America in January 2013.

Long process, order your transcripts early because they want details of every class you took in undergrad and grad school. All of the people are very friendly and committed to the cause. They had a record number of applicants this year, so the competition is tough.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty typical, nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Teach for America in August 2011.

Got recruited through my university's job database. TFA recruiter was extremely dedicated to TFA's cause, informative, and thorough.

After I submitted my application, which was a long application, TFA invited to a phone interview. Phone interview was short and easy.

Interview Questions

I did not want to move from my current location. The job also requires a commitment to getting the job no matter what, which is reasonable; however, you need to be prepared to teach every day in challenging classrooms.

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

There are 3 interviews overall. Getting past the first two rounds isn't very hard; it's the final round that is the most difficult. The final interview you teach a lesson, have a group discussion, and then you have a one-on-one interview. Make sure you follow their STAR advice online because a lot of their questions come from that method. I would also read articles about the education in the places where they teach so you can be more informed for the group discussion. In the interview you are asked questions on your personal perseverance. They also ask a lot of questions about your organizational skills so be sure to have specific examples about that.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me more about your organizational skills. How do you stay organized and keep track of all your appointments?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2012.

The entire process is pretty straightforward. TFA doesn't have a set quota because there is such a lack of teachers so they will hire anyone that meets what they're looking for. You must respond to questions with TFA's values in mind. In the final interview, you have to teach a very short lesson, discuss a scenario with your group, and have a one-on-one interview with one of the interviewers (there were two). Everyone was very honest and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers asked me a content-based question during my lesson that I found a bit tough to answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Spokane, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in September 2011.

The hiring process is long and extensive. After filling out all the online requirements, which include the basics and a statement, you proceed to the phone interview. The phone interview is short and tedious, but none of the questions are out of left field. The most difficult thing was the short amount of time given to get your points across.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me about what my biggest flaw was. This is always a tricky question and I'd recommend giving it some serious thought and research before the interview so you're prepared with a concise and confident answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in October 2012.

Online application, followed by a phone interview, some applicants are directly moved to the day-long final interview.
    Final interview: 15 interviewees present, 2 interviewers.
    Each applicant teaches a five minute lesson
    Then there is an observed group activity.
    Finally a 30 min. individual interview.