Teach for America

Updated Feb 19, 2015
Updated Feb 19, 2015

3.5

Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America in April 2013.

After submitting an application, I was emailed about setting up a phone interview. I prepared meticulously and was well prepared. The questions on this site helped a lot. More than a week after the phone interview I received an email asking to interview in person at one of their campus partners since my university had no liaisons. I traveled to CT for the interview. About 15 others were also interviewing. Before the interview we were asked to prepare a mock lesson. At the interview the interviewees were the mock students. After everyone presented their lesson, we broke up into group discussions. We had to discuss a problem at the school (an administrative issue) and how we would deal with it. Lastly, there was a one on one interview. To be honest, my impression after this was that I got the job- that's how positive the interviewer was with me.

Interview Questions
  • They asked why you wanted to be a teacher and what made you feel you were up to the challenge of teaching in an urban setting, with children and parents that are often apathetic to the school/education system   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is long and involved. Overall, there is nothing that is too difficult. The first part is a very simple online application, which involves submitting a resume and letter of intent. After that, there is a phone interview and you are required to fill out additional online forms. Next, there is a full day interview where you teach a sample lesson, discuss a topic in a group, and then have a one on one interview.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me about different types of challenges I have faced - personal, academic etc.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Skipped phone interview. Taught a lesson on public speaking then interviewed about answers to a case study involving a principal who didn't want to implement some program.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult but be prepared to answer in a lot of detail how you keep organized   Answer Question

The college where I was supposed to get license was wayyyyyy to expensive and I read a lot I mean a lot of bad reviews of teach for america that soured my acceptance. Even school board meetings where teachers shunned TFA.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2013.

Process is long. Be prepared to write compelling answers to the questions in the application. Make sure you are informative about any activities you were involved with during undergrad. Show your leadership skills.

Interview Questions
    • Why teaching? How will you handle backlash from an administrator?   Answer Question
    Took about 3 months

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

There are 3 interviews overall. Getting past the first two rounds isn't very hard; it's the final round that is the most difficult. The final interview you teach a lesson, have a group discussion, and then you have a one-on-one interview. Make sure you follow their STAR advice online because a lot of their questions come from that method. I would also read articles about the education in the places where they teach so you can be more informed for the group discussion. In the interview you are asked questions on your personal perseverance. They also ask a lot of questions about your organizational skills so be sure to have specific examples about that.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me more about your organizational skills. How do you stay organized and keep track of all your appointments?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2013.

The application process was very extensive and took about 2 months, including the final interview. They required an essay stating why you were interested and completion of an online activity that discussed educational inequality articles. The phone interview was comfortable and took around 30 minutes. The final interview included teaching a 5 minute lesson, a group activity, and then a one on one interview. The one on one interview was very comfortable and discussed, in detail, information from your application and some related experiences.

Interview Questions
    • For what reason, if any, would you not be able to complete your full 2 year commitment?   Answer Question

I was unaware that we would not be receiving more details within the region that we are placed. I was placed in a very widespread region, not my highly preferred region, that covers 2 states. They are unable to tell me where exactly within the region I would teach and what salary I would receive. Since I have a family, husband is a full time student and would need to transfer, I cannot accept a job offer with that much uncertainty.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2013.

Being well practiced for the mock lesson is so important. Many of the people in my group did not finish on time and were cut off with out completing their objectives.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation with TFA, you either take it or you don't. And the specific salary is not pinpointed until after acceptance.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2013.

I found the interview day to run smoothly toward the beginning. The day began with a greeting from the two interviewers, and followed by a presentation of lesson plans (as expected), then followed by a group activity, and then finally a final one on one interview.

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in January 2013.

Long process, order your transcripts early because they want details of every class you took in undergrad and grad school. All of the people are very friendly and committed to the cause. They had a record number of applicants this year, so the competition is tough.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty typical, nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2012.

Submitted a long and detailed online application, which included references, transcripts, answers to questions, work and educational history and personal questions. I was then put straight through to the final interview. (Sometimes there is a phone interview after submission of the online application). The final interview is all day long. First you are to present a 5 minute lesson plan on a topic of your choice. It is really anything you want to teach, at any grade level. If other participants don't ask questions the interviewers will. Often they will answer a question posed incorrectly to see how you respond. After this you break into smaller groups and participate in a group activity reading and analyzing problems that may arise in a hypothetical conversation and how you would handle it. After that it is lunch and you sign up for your time to complete a 1 on 1 interview which lasts about 30 minutes. Here there is a role play scenario, a lot of background information, and a generally pretty laid back interview. When it is over you leave and will get a decision in a few weeks.

Interview Questions
    • no real difficult questions just be ready to explain why you want to teach, and how you will handle problems if they arise. The hypothetical story in the 1 on 1 interview doesn't really have a solution, it is a problem you will not be able to solve so just learn when to give up and allow the interviewer (who plays a principal of a school) to keep his/her ruling.   Answer Question