Teavana

Updated Nov 29, 2014
Updated Nov 29, 2014

2.3

Sales Associate/Teaologist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teavana.

After submitting a resume online, the manager called me, and we set up a time for an interview. The interview was chill -- asked me about my experience. And I had to "sell" something to the manager.

Interview Questions
    • I guess the most difficult would be the whole selling thing, but it's what they liked the most for me.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Teavana in October 2014.

I applied online then handed a hard copy of my cover letter and resume in to the store. It took so long for them to contact me that I was surprised by the call. The manager said they'd pulled my information off of the database and would like an interview.

I showed up ten minutes early and got to talking to the employees while I waited for the manager. I asked them about products and promotions and had them show me different teas. They offered me a cup and I declined. I later found out that they usually use what tea you choose as an ice breaker for the interview.

During my interview, the manager and I talked about sales tactics and how many sales per hour would be expected. She explained that it was a competitive environment. She also mentioned that there was a management position open and that they only promote from within, so I would have a chance to work towards it. The Starbucks partnership was also reviewed.

At the end of my interview, I asked about what seasonal promotions and teas were coming out. I had done my research before hand and asked about the smores tea that had just been released. She took me back to the store and had me try it and we had easy conversation while she brewed my tea.

Interview Questions
    • What did you like about your previous company   View Answer
    Opportunity to move up in the company very soon

Barista Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Teavana in October 2014.

I applied and a few days later I got a call to come in. The day after she called about my application I went in for a interview. Ended up waiting a half an hour because it ended up getting busy. Only the manager and one other were working.

We went to a bench in the mall and she asked me about my past jobs, education etc because she failed to print out my application. The printer ended up not working. She asked me common sense questions and what I would do in certain situations.

I was told I would be making $8.55 an hour if I got the job and the position Id be applying for was for nights and weekends.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell me your cup of tea?   View Answer

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Del Amo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Del Amo, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Teavana in September 2014.

Very casual, met in the mall at a Starbucks (owns Teavana). Great big smile and a spectacular attitude from the area manager. He said: "I just wanna chat with, this isn't gonna be a rigid interview or anything! So relax!!" :)

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions, very interested in my former position responsibilities and wowed by them.   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Teavana in August 2014.

i applied online, got a call 2 days later. we went to the food court and talked there. The manager asked me basic questions like where did you work before, what were your duties etc

Interview Questions
    • why teavana? what do you know about teavana?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teavana.

Very easy they hire anyone . The questions were simple and open ended , it was also a group interview just try to answer all the questions first as correctly as possible. They give a call back the next day if hired

Interview Questions
    • What do you do when your in an argument with a customer   Answer Question

Team Lead Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Teavana in July 2014.

I walked in and asked if they were hiring, and was offered a Team Lead interview on the spot after discussing my experience (sales and customer service). I came back a few days later for a face to face interview, and later that week I was offered the position via phone call.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, just come prepared to discuss your relevant experience.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Teavana in July 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter. Then Area Manager and lastly the Regional Manager. I have multiple years of experience, and asked more questions than they did. They had all of the right answers of my questions about the job, training, what would be expected of me and even the expectations on scheduling. I was quickly hired. (About a week from start to finish.)

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected... I asked more questions than all of my interviewers. They all were very interested in telling me their background, none of which were relevent to the job. Every person from this company will ask the same questions, in the same order.   View Answer
    No negotiating, they will make 1 offer.

Sales Team Member "teaologist" Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Teavana in June 2014.

I applied online and received a call the next day (Saturday) for an interview that following Monday. Interview was about 45 minutes long, 1:1 with the hiring manager. I was given samples of all their tea, and then told to pick my favorite to enjoy for the remainder of the interview. I was given a pretty thorough rundown of the company and its goals to expand their market. The questions were pretty casual and dealt more with experience than with tea knowledge. He actually admitted that Teavana was known for being "pushy" with sales and that they were trying to move back to a more casual and relaxed selling environment, because "that's how tea should be emjoyed." While I appreciated this sentiment, I still got the vibe that because it is a commissions based job, and the fact that he said hours/week were given based on your sales, that you'd still have to be pretty pushy to get by in that position (at this particular location, when I was in the store, there were no other customers there.)

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you didn't meet a goal, how did you react, what did you do? Basic questions.   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teavana in June 2014.

I initially applied online in late May of 2014. I'd originally been kind of hesitant since I'd been told it was a commission based sales job (not necessarily true), but I'd been stuck on the job search so I figured why not? I was contacted within a few days by the assistant manager who invited me to a group interview a week from then. The group interview was with four other people (two other teenage girls and two older men). It went by very smoothly, it was more of an informational thing so the General Manager (who was very cool and laid back) just asked if we had questions after he gave a quick introduction of the company and his experience there. Come prepared with questions. After this interview I was very thrilled about the position (he was very good at selling the job). He told us we'd all likely be getting called in for second interviews.

After a week of no contact, I called the store and the Assistant Manager picked up, then explained that they were still conducting large group interviews and weren't yet into the second stage. He said that they were looking to hire five people and took my name saying I'd be one of the first people they'd contact about a second interview. After another week and a half, the GM called and left a voicemail when I missed it. I made a mistake of not listening to it until much later. I called the store and the AM again answered saying they wanted to set up a second interview for the next morning. What the AM didn't mention, but the GM did was that it was a 'group' interview with a girl from the initial interview. This coupled with my excitement about the position made me really nervous during this interview with the AM. Ultimately, I knew the interview didn't go great. He asked us very simple questions like what's your favorite thing about tea, why do you want to work for Teavana, what do you think makes you good at talking to strangers (or something like that), etc. He also asked us to sell him a cup of tea immediately at the beginning which I wasn't expecting until the end. He told us they'd contact us by the end of the week.

I happened to be at the mall on Saturday of that week and stopped in to buy a cup of tea. I talked to an associate for a bit before the GM noticed me and said that they'd call on Monday. By coincidence my sister forgot to return a pair of pants on Saturday so she made me go do it for her Monday morning. While I was walking by Teavana, the GM was on the sample cart and recognized me and invited me into the store to wait so he could ask the AM really quick what news they were going to give me. He told me to come in for a 'third interview'. He said it'd only be like fifteen minutes and we'd just go over what I told the AM in my second interview and what they had to offer.

I was nervous, but somewhat confident that I'd gotten the job since he wanted to talk to me again. However, instead of an interview he sat me on a bench outside of the store and explained that he 'really wanted to hire me' but the AM was worried that I'd be 'scared of customers' since I was so nervous in the interview. He told me that they were going to hire three people right then instead of the original five. He told me that I was the 'fourth' and that he'd speak to his superior about hiring another person (me), but couldn't guarantee it. He said instead that he'd like to potentially call me in as a seasonal around mid-October, stating also that a lot of the people currently working for him were originally seasonal. He also insisted that if one of the three people backed out and decided they didn't want the job they'd call me.

All in all it was a positive experience until the end.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think makes you good at talking to strangers?   Answer Question