Teavana

Updated Oct 22, 2014

2.1

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Teavana in October 2014.

I applied online then handed a hard copy of my cover letter and resume in to the store. It took so long for them to contact me that I was surprised by the call. The manager said they'd pulled my information off of the database and would like an interview.

I showed up ten minutes early and got to talking to the employees while I waited for the manager. I asked them about products and promotions and had them show me different teas. They offered me a cup and I declined. I later found out that they usually use what tea you choose as an ice breaker for the interview.

During my interview, the manager and I talked about sales tactics and how many sales per hour would be expected. She explained that it was a competitive environment. She also mentioned that there was a management position open and that they only promote from within, so I would have a chance to work towards it. The Starbucks partnership was also reviewed.

At the end of my interview, I asked about what seasonal promotions and teas were coming out. I had done my research before hand and asked about the smores tea that had just been released. She took me back to the store and had me try it and we had easy conversation while she brewed my tea.

Interview Questions
  • What did you like about your previous company   View Answer
Opportunity to move up in the company very soon

Other Interview Reviews for Teavana

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teavana.

Very easy they hire anyone . The questions were simple and open ended , it was also a group interview just try to answer all the questions first as correctly as possible. They give a call back the next day if hired

Interview Questions
    • What do you do when your in an argument with a customer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Teavana in February 2014.

I received an initial phone call about three weeks after submitting my application. I received an interview with the General Manager and everything went smoothly. I did not spend a bunch of time dressing up formally and went in a business casual ensemble. I arrived at the interview a few minutes early and I was really nervous. She asked me what kind of tea I wanted and I ordered a cup of Golden Dragon hot and unsweetened before we headed out to sit at some tables. She started by introducing the comany and telling me about how teavana got started. After telling me about the company she asked me a few questions like why I want to work there, what I like most about the company, about a time that communication had succeeded in my life and the result, a time that communication had failed and the result, a time when I set a goal for myself, didn't meet it, and how that effected me, if I had to set a percentage for how much time I would allot to working sales/customer service and restocking/organizing, what would that be and why, and a time when I set a goal for myself, did meet it, and how that effected me. It was a bunch of straightforward questions. The interview stayed completely on track. After the initial questioning she asked about my availability and introduced the duties of being a sales associate. She explained that Teavana operates top down, showing the customer the most expensive item in the store first and then working their way down. Benefits sounded nice. Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k), 30% off store merchandise at Teavana and Starbucks, and free drinks during your shift. The only downside seemed to be that they only hired part time. At the end of the interview, she asked me to sell her the cup of tea I was holding and I was at a loss for words. I did not know anything about selling anything to anyone, but I gave it my best shot and failed miserably. I had wished I knew more about Golden Dragon tea so that I could spout out a bunch of awesome facts.

After the interview I never received a phone call offering a job. I did, however, receive a phone call offering another interview. I took it and the following week attended another interview with Teavana. The second interview experience was a lot friendlier. I was introduced to everyone in the shop, offered a cup of tea (did some research this time and chose a variety with a rich background), and then we headed off for the interview. This interview wondered a bit and we ended up talking about World War II, oceanography, and school. I was not asked to sell a cup of tea this time around, but I was prepared either way. I received a phone call the following day offering me a job as a sales associate.

Interview Questions
    I was sent an email with the job offer and was given the option to accept or decline.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Teavana.

The whole interview process was a little lengthy because it was a few weeks before I got a call back after submitting my resume and job application online. There was a short phone interview and after that I was scheduled for an in person interview, which lasted about 35 minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN

I applied in-person – interviewed at Teavana in October 2013.

I stopped in the store to buy myself some tea, and I had gotten a job offer by an employee who I had found out later was someone higher up than the GM. I filled out a paper application, and the online application. A week and a half later they called me to schedule an interview. I didnt know it was going to be a group interview until I showed up. It was only one other person so I didnt mind as much. The interview had basic questions that you would hear from any other retail store. Just be yourself and answer the questions truthfully.

The GM who interviewed us made us both a cup of tea, but did not ask us to try to sell it to her during the interview. If offered a cup of tea before the interview, it looks more impressive to order a pure tea or a higher quality tea as opposed to getting one that was in the samples. This shows that you have some knowledge of tea already.

After the interview (scheduled earlier in the week) she told us if we did not hear anything back from her during that week then they have decided to choose someone else. I got a call Friday evening, and started training a week after that.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you have dealt with a time someone has questioned your integrity, and how did you change their mind.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teavana.

Submitted an online application and got called in for my first interview about a month later. I was made a cup of tea and the other interviewee and I sat down with the manager and took turns answering questions about sales experience, sales philosophy, our personal goals, and tea. I got called in for another (solo) interview a week later, same procedure as before. I hadn't had much sales experience at that point and that was her main concern.

Interview Questions
    • Basic, standard questions generally speaking. The sales questions tripped me up a little (I think in hindsight she was looking for an aggressive boutique salesperson not a friendly tea expert).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Teavana in August 2013.

I submitted a resume including key words related to my past sales, retail, and customer service experience, as well as a cover letter mentioning my passion for tea, which definitely positioned me as a good candidate. I received a phone call from the manager several days later to set up an interview. I arrived probably about 5-10 minutes before, and was offered a cup of tea, which I accepted. The manager and I then sat in the food court to being my interview.

Prior to the interview I did a lot of research about the products they sold, Yelp reviews for the particular store I was applying to, and also past interviewee/employee review here on glassdoor.

I was asked general interview questions and answered them well. I think what made me an attractive candidate was the fact that I asked A LOT of questions. About the manager's own experiences, about the concerns I had for a quota-based sales position, etc.

Overall I could tell that she was a passionate sales person and loved her job. She seemed like a really awesome professional to work for, but in the end I did not want to be in a sales/retail position, especially one that was quota-based, so I declined their offer for a position.

Interview Questions
    • They asked for specific sales figures of a department I oversaw at a previous retail position, as well as daily revenues of the store.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Teavana in July 2013.

I applied online and got a call for an interview. Anyway since I've had some customer service experience she just went through my entire resume. She also told me about the pay, sales process and goals etc. I got a call 2 days later telling me I got the job and to come back for paperwork.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online – interviewed at Teavana in June 2013.

two interviews, both one on one

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online – interviewed at Teavana in November 2012.

Interview was laid back and casual. Fairly easy. Dress is business casual and I interviewed with one manager and another candidate. I followed up with that manager in person, which could have been helpful. Not sure, but maybe. During the interview, I believe that we had a cup of tea. So in case you get that opportunity, be prepared to know what type of tea you would like, how you want it prepared and even have a knowledge of the latest teas and marketing content. I suggest being in tune with the email marketing. .Teavana sends out emails pretty often. That would impress your interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty typical questions. I would advise having a basic knowledge of Teavana. I'm a long time fan and that helped. In terms of appearance, the company is pretty laid back. I noticed lots of employees have tattoos and visible piercings.   Answer Question
    I didn't attempt to negotiate because it was meant to be seasonal and I honestly selected the company to learn more about the sales tactics, the art of tea and utilize the discount.