Teavana Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 27, 2015

2.5

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teavana.

Interview

It was very creepy. I was interviewed by a manager from another store who told me that they keep their healthcare costs down by never hiring anyone over forty. Reading the reviews here on the company puts forth their problem with hiring inexperienced people in that they have no people skills and say things they shouldn't. I'm surprised they haven't been sued for discrimination!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teavana

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Teavana (Chicago, IL) in April 2012.

Interview

I applied for a management position.Scheduling for the interview was completed online without any human contact. I went to the interview to see what they had to offer. The "store manager" was very young, unprofessional in her appearance and obviously not very experienced. I asked more questions that she did. When I originally applied, it was for a management position. They had posted that they were looking for a store manager and a manager in training. When I inquired about those positions, I was told the manager's position was already filled (she was the one interviewing me) and they do not have a position as "manager in training" really?? then why did they post it that way? I was told the position was for PT sales with a chance of advancement within 90 days. I "passed" the first interview and an interview with the District Manager was conducted. I received an offer for PT sales with the chance of advancement.

Interview Questions

I declined the offer because I did not want to start as part time sales with the hopes of being promoted. I have already been upper management and a DM myself for over 6 years. I was disappointed that they had misled me on the position they were really hiring for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teavana (Tucson, AZ) in November 2010.

Interview

Interviews are held 3 months or more before store openings. Every effort is made to hire from within. You may be interviewed by the Area Manager or VP of HR, or both. There is an online process that must be filed out completely before you will receive your verbal interview, and then a personal on-on-one will be setup if you move to the next level. Sales is everything as they are not looking for store managers that are operations heavy in their approach to managing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were accused of doing something unethical, what happened, how did you respond and how did things turn out?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Teavana in January 2009.

Interview

An HR representative began the process through email and phone contact, and we set up a time for an initial phone interview. Overall the phone interview went very well and I was granted a 1:1 interview with the person who would've been my immediate supervisor. I got to the meeting spot early and my interviewer was late. After 20 minutes of waiting with no phone call, I left, assuming they didn't manage time well, were unorganized and didn't have my phone number, or that it wasn't meant to be for one reason or another. 5 minutes later I received a phone call that the interviewer had gotten lost on the way, and still wanted to meet with me. We agreed on a place and sat down. The 1:1 interview lasted around an hour. Teavana was relatively new to me, so I wasn't aware of how top-down sales focused they were. I've done lots of sales, but I don't like being pushy and I don't agree with the top-down model, and I was very blunt about that with the interviewer. The interviewer explained how they view the sales model, and while it made sense, I still didn't buy into it. Teavana has a VERY specific sales process they want EVERY employee to use. Be prepared to talk about the salesperson extraordinaire that you are, and if you're applying for management, also be prepared to talk about how you've driven a team to exceed sales goals. If you don't want to comply with their sales process and would be more of a "I'll do it my way" person, don't bother. They'd probably see you as not a team player. Also be prepared to talk about how you would drive sales for a luxury, high-priced item in a depressed economy, and the value of their product. The interviewer liked knowing that I knew my stuff and the background of the company even though I had never visited a store. Afterwards I was told I would hear within a week, and after 2 weeks of no new I assumed I wasn't the person for the job. About a month after I got a form "thanks but no thanks" email. After the several conversations I had with HR, I would've thought that a personal phone call would've been more appropriate and respectful.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you with following a set sales process and using top-down selling with every customer?   Answer Question