TechSmith

Updated Oct 10, 2014
Updated Oct 10, 2014

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at TechSmith in October 2014.

I applied through a career fair and they were quick about getting to back to me. The interview was easy and straightforward-- some behavioral questions and questions about my previous projects and programming experience. There was a chance for me to ask about the company, and then about half an hour of whiteboard problems. Nothing particularly difficult or unexpected. Both interviewers were very friendly, and it was a pretty laid-back experience.

Interview Questions
    • Whose responsibility is it to make sure the final product works well? (something along those lines)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I learned the informations of this position in university career fair they ask me to apply online.

Interview Questions
    • It's been two weeks and I haven't get any contact yet.   Answer Question

User Experience Interview

I applied online – interviewed at TechSmith in March 2014.

I heard back after I applied online requesting a phone interview. The phone call was relaxed, discussing my experience, past projects and aspirations for the internship. Very conversational, the interviewer asked insightful questions and answered my questions about TechSmith's culture and people well.

Followed up with a Skype interview with the UX Research team. Still conversational, back-and-forth with questions and answers. Some of the questions included how I would respond in certain situations, both behavioral and UX specific.

Overall I would have been more than happy to work at TechSmith. The impression I got was that employees genuinely care about the product and the culture, and I firmly believe I would have learned from and contributed a great deal to an internship at TechSmith.

Interview Questions
    • What was the greatest challenge about working on that project you worked on?   Answer Question

Received an offer that better fit my interests and desired location. Would definitely consider working here in the future.

Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI
    Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at TechSmith in February 2014.

Brought into office for interview. About half hour of general interview questions which felt more like a conversation. Many chances to ask questions and interview the interviewers. Then about 45 minutes of white boarding problems. You can choose whichever programing language you prefer. questions start very simple and then get a little bit harder. None of them are anything too complicated. Most complicated was detecting a palindrome (and yes "Race Car" counts as a palindrome).

Interview Questions
    • What skill do you need to work on the most to succeed at work? (or something along those lines)   Answer Question

Inside Sales Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at TechSmith.

The interview process at TechSmith is very in depth. There is an initial phone interview, which if they like you, they bring you in for a panel interview. The panel interview includes numerous behavioral and situational questions. Once you hear a call back about your panel interview, there is an all-day interview. The all-day interview is a day filled with meeting with executives, potential coworkers, and your potential manager.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Had one interview with two development managers. Asked some behavioral questions, then we did some white board problems. All in all, very easy interview process.

Interview Questions
    • There was something about setting bits with bit masks, which caught me a little off guard, but it wasn't too difficult. Everything else was pretty straight forward, reversing strings in an array, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TechSmith in July 2013.

I recently completed a two day, two part interview with TechSmith and figured it would be smart to recap how my experience was for other candidates coming along down the road.

If you pass the one or two phone screens (where you’ll be asked traditional programming & conceptual questions usually focused on whatever specialty you have on your resume), you’ll then get invited on-site. The way TechSmith likes to structure their interviews are two separate days of interviews for 3 - 5 hours at a time, usually a few days or a week apart. In my particular case, where I came in from far out of town, they scheduled my interview days back to back.

The company is open about who you’ll be speaking with ahead of time, so that way you can look up your interviewers’ history & specialty via LinkedIn.

For me (and probably for most other candidates), my first day of interviews started off with a group panel with 5 people and me in a meeting room. The five people in my room included: the HR drone, a Development Manager, the CTO and two developers. After this hour was concluded, the three non-developers left the room leaving me with the next two hours were devoted to discussing — and fixing up & enhancing — a (relatively small) programming project that they’ll assign to the candidate prior to showing up to that interview day. The programming project wasn’t hard in the slightest, and they ask to only spend a maximum of about 3 - 4 hours constructing the app so that way there’s additional features that could be added or obvious bugs that you can fix. The idea here is for your potential peers to work with you to see how you collaborate and work with the team.

My second interview day had almost no software engineers, but instead a collection of various co-workers of different disciplines who support the products a software engineer is assembling. The first team of interviewers were a QA person and a UX person. The second interview was an executive who gave a bit of a (very diverse) history of the company. I also did lunch on this day at a steakhouse found in a strip-mall across the street from the TechSmith complex (but we still drove over there; typical Michiganders :-). The interview day finished up with a tour of the TechSmith complex and then a 15 minute standard benefits-package overview talk with the HR drone.

The company has been steadily growing over the 15 years of its existence but remains still relatively small (closing in on 300 people, including the interns they hire each summer). Various interviewers remarked how TechSmith has never done layoffs, but instead did a hiring freeze when the economy wasn’t going very well. I asked why employees leave TechSmith, and the reply was that many of the younger employees are hired straight out of school (e.g. Michigan State is down the street, and the University of Michigan isn’t that far down the road either) and they’ll leave to go get additional experiences in bigger tech locations such as Silicon Valley or somewhere on the East Coast.

TechSmith appears to be a family oriented company which promotes a healthy work / life balance. If you work much more than 8 hours a day, the boss might be asked what the *company* is doing wrong where the employees have to work so much extra (versus the typical Silicon Valley lifestyle where 10+ hour days are an expected reality). Instead of a company Christmas party (where it’s almost impossible to conveniently arrange everyone to be in the same banquet hall at the same time), they do a company “birthday” party in February, in addition to a number of various sponsored events for “adults” (e.g. employee + spouse) or “family” (bring the kids), such as Lansing Lugnuts minor league baseball team games.

Everyone seemed mostly friendly and welcoming; but as the second, longer day of interviews wore on, I was worried that my personality wasn’t going to be a perfect fit for the teams. The H.R. lady asked me all the standard “criticize yourself” H.R. questions during the big panel interview (“why shouldn’t we hire you?”, “if you could time travel back to the beginning of your career, what advice would you give yourself?”), and I felt like I didn’t properly approach the answer (where one might start off with a seemingly negative trait and turn those negatives into positives or answers that showed strengths).

Hopefully my experience going through the TechSmith interview will properly prepare for you to pass your interviewing day. If you find any of the information in my interview review helpful, please let me know by voting "Yes" on the "Helpful?" question below (this helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible).

Interview Questions
    • delete a node in a linked list   View Answer
    • In Objective-C, take an array of integers and return the sum.   View Answer
    • In Objective-C, take an array of integers and return the number of even and odd integers.   View Answer

With the friendliness and approachability of the potential co-workers, TechSmith was difficult for me to turn down. In the end, I was bummed with the generic (felt almost "junior" or new grad) title I was being offered and I also felt the salary was a little too low given the experience I was bringing to the table. For what it's worth, wages in Michigan are somewhat depressed along with the overall state economy; on the other hand, cost of living is significantly cheaper in Michigan as well.

User Experience Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at TechSmith in July 2013.

A third-party recruiter called me about this position and set up an interview for me with one of their development managers. After the interview, I was informed that Techsmith would not be proceeding with me because I didn't know Photoshop, which I think is rather baloney because I know how to actually develop websites, and so I don't need to know how to make pretend websites in Photoshop.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, just standard HR behavioral questions such as "describe your least favorite project" which are designed to get you to rant about stuff. Development manager also asked me what my salary range was, which was surprising given that the recruiter had already asked about this.   View Answer

Use Experience Design Intern Interview

There was a design exercise after applying for the job and then scheduled a phone interview. Mainly talk about the design exercise and also other interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about design thoughts when doing the specific project.   Answer Question

Sales Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Okemos, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Okemos, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at TechSmith.

I submitted my resume to a rep at the career fair at my school. I built some rapport with the rep and not too long after I received an email setting up my interview.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really hard questions. They really are just interested in your personality. They want to know if you're fit to work with their customers by handling concerns, and questions effectively. They also want to know if you have an interest in technology.

unexpected question: If you could have a super power what would it be and why?

Answer Question
    There was no negotiation for the internship. They pay you based on your experience.