TeleCommunication Systems

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Aliso Viejo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at TeleCommunication Systems in April 2013.

Interview Details – Up to 8 interview over the course of 10 weeks

Interview Question – None, putting up with the long process   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Aliso Viejo, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TeleCommunication Systems in May 2013.

Interview Details – Got phone interview. Was asked some basic embedded questions, such as how memory is corruped. On site interview followed 2 wks later. 3 interviewers, 1 hr each.

Interview Question – Remove a node from a one direction linked list, if just knowing the pointer to the node to be removed.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Manager Quality Assurance Interview

Manager Quality Assurance
Aliso Viejo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 days - interviewed at TeleCommunication Systems in September 2012.

Interview Details – What a horrible, mess! Wish I had read the bad impressions from some of the other Aliso Viejo interviewees!

The process started almost a week ago with an introduction and job description in my LinkedIn inbox. The position was something that I pretty much hit all the bullet points on. So I indicated my interest in becoming a candidate. So she went ahead and scheduled a phone interview for 6 days later.

Then later that week, she sent me the list of qualification questions (hmmm, should've been a warning sign right there...why would she schedule the phone call BEFORE, she sent me the list of qualifying questions?). So I filled it out and she said that everything looked great and then she was looking for a time to schedule the phone screen (the same one she had already scheduled...didn't think much about it at the time, but should've been warning sign two).

So I had the screen today, and the lady was a bit out of it with her questions and all over the place. Mind you, these were not technical questions...just asking about what type of companies I worked at. She seemed to be confused about what a commercial software company is and so she argued with me about that for a while. Then she argued with me about whether or not what I do in my current job constitutes a "software job" versus hardware!!

So at this point, I'm wondering if this company has it's stuff together.

Then she asked me about my salary, followed by my college education...that was followed by when I could start "when they make you an offer". I told her that I wouldn't be able to start before a date that is 4-5 weeks in the future. She got really, really rude and almost angry at me. She told me that I cannot submit a resume to them unless my start date would be 3 weeks or less from the date of the phone screen!!! (warning sign number 3 in retrospect...why would the date for the phone screen just be an arbitrary date almost a week after the first contact, if the hire date could be no more than 3 weeks from a week later?). I told her that I could not put my current company in a bad position during a crucial project, so the date 3 weeks in the future would not be possible. Plus I reminder her that we hadn't even schedule an interview or gotten an offer yet, so how could I know that I'd even have 2 weeks notice to give?

She told me to recheck the site three weeks before my earliest possible date for departure from my job, then reapply to the position if it was still there!!! Like sure, I'm going to apply to a position that was so urgent, they couldn't wait more than 3 weeks for the right candidate to start. Yeah, that sounds like a non-toxic environment.

Sounds like they don't have their heads on straight in AV. Wow, sounds like cool projects to work on. But to have this person be the first impression of the company is a sign that the company isn't very good on the upfront job of attracting candidates. Which a big concern on the back end.

Would've been nice to get into the building and see what the interview process is really like. Hopefully better than the recruiter screens. Maybe they should look for contractors and state that "already employed candidates need not apply...unless you're willing to stab your current employer in the back!" :).

Lol.

Interview Question – When can you start?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Testing Intern Interview

Software Testing Intern
Aliso Viejo, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at TeleCommunication Systems in August 2011.

Interview Details – The manager asked me a few questions and they hired me eventually.

Interview Questions

• What are white-box testing and black-box testing?   View Answer
  • how to test image processing software?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Aliso Viejo, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TeleCommunication Systems in March 2011.

Interview Details – It was fun!

Interview Question – Puzzles, Data-structures, Algorithms, programming Q's   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered pretty good package.

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Aliso Viejo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at TeleCommunication Systems in October 2011.

Interview Details – Very rude recruiter. she didn't even know how to read resume. As described by the last reviewer - very same BAD experience.
No wonder why this company is not able to fill up so many positions since last couple of months.
I hope some one from this org is reading this and would react!!!

Lead Senior Java Engineer Interview

Lead Senior Java Engineer
Aliso Viejo, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TeleCommunication Systems in July 2011.

Interview Details – I first contacted HR by applying online to which they responded with a form letter, and required answering a questionnaire about your experiences. I filled out the form and was having trouble sending it, so I asked her to confirm the receipt of the questionnaire. She didn't respond so I assumed she was on PTO or out sick.

After a week I sent an email and kept trying to get in touch with her. She didn't include her phone number on her emails so I couldn't call her. I tried the company directory and they have one of those "press the first three letters of the person's last name" type of directory search. She wasn't even listed. I finally left a voicemail and I didn't hear back for a couple of days. Finally an HR generalist responded and said she would contact the other lady who was the technical recruiter (my initial HR contact). The technical recruiter called me and that's when I found out they had already given someone an offer and they had two other candidates waiting in case the candidate refused.

When I tried to politely ask if I should apply to other positions they listed online or whether they would automatically, she said she would let "me" know which positions I would qualify for and "You have no,[sic] Unix, Solaris, Linux, C/C++ or TCP/IP … also no Android or J2ME to go with the Java experience - which eliminates about 75% - 85% of the positions we have open." Apparently she didn't even read my resume since I had mentioned that I had used Red Hat since 1995 or that I had setup and maintained FreeBSD and Ubuntu servers. Also apparently I "have no TCP/IP" despite the fact that I had written plenty of server and client code that was stated in the resume.

She did offer me a phone interview for another position, but I decided that I had had enough. In my opinion, HR represents the company and this company seemed disrespectful of applicants. It did not communicate and respond in a timely manner, nor did it even perform due diligence in reviewing resumes. If companies want applicants to research them before applying, the least they can do is reciprocate and try to research the applicants. Also, I don't mind that technical recruiters don't really know all the engineering details, but please don't insult your applicants by pretending that you know more about their job than they do.

Worked for TeleCommunication Systems? Contribute to the Community!