Telenav

Updated Sep 2, 2014
Updated Sep 2, 2014

2.9

Software QA Engineer Interview

Interview process was well planned with no surprises. First was a phone screen by Hiring Manager, focussing on behavioral questions. This was followed by a 5 hour onsite interview. The onsite interview had a technical round involving coding/data structures, followed by questions on the projects.

Software Engineer -Entry Level Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Telenav in August 2014.

Recruiter contacted me in 4 days after I applied online. She set me up with a technical phone screen. Interviewer basically looked at my thought process in solving the problem. He's very cordial and patient. It followed by another phone screen very next week. This time it is with a senior professional. He asked me questions on my previous work experiences. For 20 minutes we talked about my experiences and skill set. Then he asked me a fairly popular question which for no reason why I didn't come across till date. I voiced my approaches to solve the problem. He then asked to do it in space efficient ways. All along he countered my answers with good test cases. Last 10 minutes he asked me to code and not to bother about efficient approach. I implemented 90% of it when he pointed out that he should stick to time frame. And then I knew it could be a reject.

Interview Questions
    • You got to be very strong in tree problems and recursion   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Telenav.

Phone interview on a Sunday, followed by in-person interviews with 5 people one-on-one the following week, then no contact for 4 months. Was eventually hired. The process seems better now with new hires. There is also an automated process that let's people know if the position was closed.

Interview Questions
    • No tricks. Just the usual questions. I like that. It hints at a company culture that is straightforward. No games.   Answer Question
    Initially attempted to negotiate additional PTO, unsuccessfully. Shortly after, however, they changed the company policy and everyone gets more PTO now (3 wks), some of which we have to use during holiday shutdowns.

Senior Director, Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Telenav in December 2013.

Summary: Telenav egregiously wasted my time.

I had a phone interview with the VP that went well. I liked him and found his direct style refreshing. He pressed me on how Telenav could compete with Apple and Google who have advantage of being able to distribute their navigation solutions through their smartphones and monetize through hardware or platform licenses. The VP decided to bring me in for in person interview.

Twice I was scheduled to come in and twice the HR represented called one or two days before and said they needed to reschedule. On the night before the third attempt, I get email from the HR representative canceling the interview and saying they had found another candidate.

I'm appalled that my time was wasted in this manner. I lost the opportunity to use those blocks of time on my calendar more productively. I had to put off other interviews. The time spent preparing for my in-person interview was wasted.

If this is the low standard at which Telenav treats candidates for leadership positions, I can only assume they will treat their employees even more poorly.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Telenav in June 2013.

The department I apply is located at LA, formly Thinknear, acquired by Telenav. The first iteration is online coding test and second/third ones are phone interviews.

Interview Questions
    • All technical questions concerning data structure and algorithm are fair(e.g., check binary tree is a binary serach tree)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Telenav.

From initial contact, It took 5 days to have a phone interview, onsite interview after a month, and refusal to offer after 10 days. I had sent mails to recruiter and hiring manager to see where my case went, but they didn't respond at all.

Interview Questions
    • Concept of linked list, its insertion/deletion behavior, make stack with them, whiteboard coding with binary tree search, and so forth. I mean, there wasn't hard questions so much.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Telenav in October 2012.

Interview Process is good.
    First round is telephonic (around 50-60 mins) and then Onsite interview for 4-5 hrs(6 rounds of interview) They will take care of your Travel & Accommodation.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions are good and related to regular work you will be doing in your current job.
      They are looking for attitude of candidate and looking for Financial Domain knowledge.
      From 6 interviewers 3 ask for Financial Domain knowledge which I lack as I not worked on that earlier.
        Answer Question

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Telenav in April 2012.

Was pretty simple. One phone interview with hiring manager then onsite interview was 5 rounds of 1:1. Got respone within 2-3 days . This was followed by background verification.

The manager has a set of interview questions and the same questions are asked to everyone, irrespective of what job they are hired for.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the questions where not related to my job description. I have no programming in my job but was asked to write linked list programs.   Answer Question
    You can try to negotiate for the

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Telenav in April 2011.

The interview process was fairly simple and professional. The interview consisted of one phone interview and two on site interviews. The first interview (on phone) was with a Senior QA Engineer. The interviewer was very pleasant and was more interested in the way I solved and approached the various scenarios that she presented rather then the solutions themselves. The second interview (on site) ran for about four hours and consisted 1:1 interview sessions with the Senior Recruiter, who asked me about my salary expectations and the usual HR stuff, and various QA Managers and Senior QA Engineers. The Managers and Engineers who interviewed me were pretty professional and represented different departments. The questioning, like the phone interview, focused on problem solving abilities and approach rather than the solution itself. That said, the interview scheduling was bit unorganized since two interviewers were substituted at the last minute and a Senior Director was out of office on that day. The third and last interview (on site, again) was with the same Senior Recruiter and with the Senior Director who wasn't able to make before. Questioning was, surprisingly, focused on my academic background and my decision making abilities. The Recruiter spoke to me about my salary expectations, again, and about my other offers.
    The whole set up was handled professionally. The Recruiter was willing to work around my schedule to set up the interviews. There were no interviews with either the PMs or Developers, which is always nice!

Interview Questions
    • From a student, course, teacher and association tables retrieve a list of students who are being taught by teacher X?   View Answer
    • How do you know that the given route is the most optimum route between two places?   View Answer
    • What's the most challenging task / responsibility in your current position?   View Answer
    Standard negotiation practice. I was offered a base + bonus + benefits + options package that was in line with the market / industry level. Even though the offer was slightly below my expectation, they were willing to meet me mid-way to make it work.

IT Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Telenav in January 2011.

The interview process was long, scattered, disorganized and very unprofessional. I interviewed a total of 7 hours with 6 different folks in a span of 3 months. Two of those interviews were "unplanned" or "spontaneous" interviews which threw me off a bit.

I was informally told by the hiring manager that I was a viable candidate and that I would be hired and HR would be calling me that afternoon. Then I never heard back. I called once and emailed once to follow up but got absolutely no response. It's been 5 months now and I'm assuming I didn't get the position. I'm glad I was not hired since this is very telling how this company handles business.

I got a new job elsewhere and noticed immediately the difference in recruiting methods. I think if Telenav wants to recruit/attract talented people, they cannot be playing games with people's time.