Interview Question

Dangerous Goods Agent Interview Indianapolis, IN

Tell me about a time when you noticed a mistake or safety

concern that if ignored, could have resulted in disaster or a much bigger problem...and what did you do about it?
Answer

Interview Answer

1 Answer

I had to think hard on that one, but thought of 2 answers.
I have seen a loose address label (not the sticker) that had come out of the plastic ziplock sleeve on a package while I was inducting freight. I set it aside. Then I seen a couple boxes it could have belonged to & set them aside also.
When the volume slowed, I noticed that most of one of the box's sticker had been torn off, but the tracking number was still visible. There was no way to tell where that box was supposed to go without the paper label, so it would normally have been sent to another area to be investigated & it would miss it's flight.
But I compared the tracking numbers to notice they were the same, so I put the paper label back in the ziplock sleeve & zipped it up! It made the flight & was delivered on time.
On the safety side of things...once I was getting ready to pull a "string" of dollies (they hold our aircraft containers) away from the line & one of the handlers was getting ready to step down off the landing between my TUG & the tongue of the front dolly to help me hook it up so I could pull them.
I noticed another string was moving by me, trying to "squeeze" through a tight area between my dollies & a curb. I grabbed the boys forearm & yelled, "NO! WAIT! Not til this guy gets past"!
Then, a split second later, the passing dollies contacted the ones on my string & threw them forward into the back of my TUG wedging the tongue the boy was reaching for up under my TUG so hard that I got stuck on it. We had to have another TUG come & pull mine off of the tongue.
If that boy had been between there, he would've probably lost both of his legs!
You have to be aware of your surroundings at all times!

Interview Candidate on Jun 23, 2012