Interview Question

Anonymous Interview El Segundo, CA

Tell me about a time you had to make a decision as a Leader

that was not popular with your workforce
Answer

Interview Answer

1 Answer

When I started working as a manager, I was informed by the leadership that we would have to start working over the weekend due to the increase in business during our busy season. I got together with my front line leaders and shared the information with them. We then developed a presentation that we could share with the workforce. We then presented to the workforce that we were going to work weekends due to the increase in business and that PTO request would be reviewed on a case by case basis. We made sure to include that we would look into every possible scenario when reviewing request for PTO to ensure that PTO could be taken with little to no impact to the organization, however, if we could not approve PTO, we would be sure to communicate why we could not. We also shared with the work team a schedule that we put together that included myself and the frontline leader working over the weekend and explained to them that we took every avenue possible in putting the schedule together so that everyone would get an opportunity to have a weekend off once a month during the busy season. It was generally received with approval and the team worked to the schedule and to the best of their ability. We did have some PTO that we could not approve, and while they did not like the decision, they did respect that we did all we could before making the decision.

Interview Candidate on Nov 4, 2013