TellApart

Updated Nov 14, 2014
Updated Nov 14, 2014

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at TellApart in October 2014.

After applying online i got a call from internal recruiter. Then followed by a telephonic interview. First call was from recruiter which is primarily company pitch. Second call was a technical interview.

N/A Interview

I applied online – interviewed at TellApart in September 2014.

The 1st question on the phone interview is a 60-second elevator pitch. Dumb! Plus, this was not a sales job I was interviewing for. I think this is the laziest question in the world and it gives them absolutely no genuine information about the candidate or what they can accomplish with your company. They really should come up with a better approach to their uniformity.

Oct 5, 2014Recruiting Manager

I'm sorry things didn't work out as well as you'd hoped, and I realize it's definitely not fun to struggle on a tough question that may appear to be somewhat of a non sequitur to the role you applied ... More

Software Engineer Interview

I have interviewed with about 10 companies over my employment and TellApart is by far offers the worst treatment to its candidates. This raises the question as to how they will treat you once you are employed. TellApart showed complete disrespect to my personal time as well as lack of professional attitude.

First, I had to spend a significant amount of time on their pre-onsite interview homework which had to be done in Java even though I am not a Java programmer. That is passable assuming they would indeed bother to look at it but they did not.

When they invited me on site, I had to take half of a day off since the interview was promised to last 3-4 hours (no lunch offered). Normally companies offer several questions to give you a thorough evaluation and many chances to show how you can handle different types of problems. They understand that interviewing is in an investment on the candidate's part and want to make sure the candidate was given a fair assessment. That is not how TellApart interviews.

Initially I spent about 30 min on a technical question. I quickly came up with a passable solution and with a hint and some discussion improved it. Sure, coming up with a solution without any discussion is better, but with all of the interviews I have had a discussion was expected. I did fine on that question. Then they spent about 30 minutes asking me in detail what I was doing at my previous job. After that they walked out and came back 10 minutes later telling me that they want to be efficient with their interviewing process and walked me out. I was stunned as I did not fall on my face during the interview to get such a treatment. The question was answered. May be they did not like my experience at my previous job, but if this has such a weight on them, I should have been not invited to a phone screen or at least not on site. I have not had an interview when so much weight was put on the previous experience. All companies agree these days that it is aptitude that matters and do not spend more then 10 min on the background. TellApart spent 30 minutes on it.

Interview Questions
    • Only 1 question was asked. Yes, TellApart thinks it is enough.   Answer Question

Jul 14, 2014Recruiting Manager

[sorry for lack of paragraphs, but it looks like this web form doesn't support formatting]
    There’s a harsh reality to interviewing with start-ups: If you don’t interview well, you run the risk of
    ... More

Client Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TellApart in July 2014.

I saw the job opening on their website and cold emailed two people on the Client Services team. They were nice enough to make time to speak with me about their experience at TellApart before passing my info to their Recruiter. From there the process took about 3 weeks. First a phone screen, a take-home assignment, and then presentation of the assignment + final rounds on-site.

Both interviewers were tack sharp and had impressive backgrounds, as well as being quite excited about the company and the growth it was experiencing. After that, I had a phone interview with the VP of Operations, Robby, who had an impressive background (ex-Chief of Staff of Yahoo, ex-head of Corporate Development at Linkedin) but impressed me even more during our phone call. He had great energy, deep industry knowledge, and asked me thoughtful questions to learn about my personality and to test my analytical chops. All this while being very personable and casual.

I was then given a week to work on the take-home assignment: run analysis on mock client data and draw insights to be presented to the team in a PowerPoint presentation. I even got to check in with them to see if I was on the right track and got feedback along the way.

I was asked if I wanted to do the presentation and interviews in one day or spread across two. I elected to do it all at once. I gave the presentation + Q&A, they huddled, and moved me onto the interviews. I interviewed with two of the account managers, the VP of sales, and then was invited to join for the all-hands meeting (which just happened to be that day) while I waited to meet the CEO. I was surprised by the level of trust they showed me by letting me attend, and it was indicative of how transparent they are as a company. If you have the opportunity to interview when there’s an all-hands meeting, I highly recommend it.

Finally I sat down with Josh, the CEO, which ended up being more of a thoughtful conversation about my career path, goals, and how I came to apply to TellApart. I got the impression that he was not only very knowledgeable about the industry, but also very well connected in the Valley.

It was definitely a long day and I was beat by the end of it, but I was very impressed with the thoroughness of the process and it made me feel confident they were being very selective. I'd suggest that they better set expectations about how long the process can take upfront, but then again I did elect to do it all at once.

Interview Questions
    • The assignment was unexpected but a pleasant surprise. Compared to other firms I interviewed with, I found that the assignment was a great way to understand the problems the team deals with, how they think, and what skills would be needed to succeed in the job. Plus, if you hate doing it, it's a sign you might not like the day-to-day work either.

Apart from that, the other Client Services Managers and especially the CEO dug deep with regard to my career goals. I got the sense they were making an honest effort to see if this made sense given my goals, but were also checking to make sure that I didn't just stumble into them and was being thoughtful about where I was taking my career and why I wanted to work at TellApart.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at TellApart.

Initial communication with the recruiter was very helpful, he gave me an insight into the company with a hint of company culture, and helped set up a phone screen. The phone screen was somewhat fuzzy initially since the interviewer asked me a broad range of questions, however a portion of it was probing into the technologies I was aware of however, didn't have practical experience (I hadn't mentioned these on my resume). This was followed by a coding question.

The next step was an on-site interview. The office is cool, and located in Burlingame in a quiet place. The onsite interview was split into three different sections. Also, the interview panel for each round is two people instead of one, which I think makes the interview more relaxed and more of a discussion than a grilling interview. The engineers are bright and friendly.

1. Deep dive into a technical project you've worked on recently. This is a lot of fun, and the engineers probed into different ares of the project and the design decisions, future improvements etc. This is a good way to ease into the technical question. The question was not particularly difficult but demanded specificity, good understanding of data structures and algorithms.
    2. This was the round in which I was asked to reviews a snippet of code, which was sent to me the previous day. This rounds focuses on your ability to access scalable, clean code. I liked it due to its practical nature. This was followed by a design question, the difficulty of which increased fairly quickly as I was asked to scale it up to large number of users and change constraints and requirements.
    3. The final interview was with Wade, the VP of Engineering and your Engineering manager. It was insightful, challenging yet fun. Fun part is, you can't really prepare for it, however it'll definitely leave you with a positive feeling about the company and its culture.

I am very impressed by the work culture, people and prospects for the company however, I had another opportunity which was just hard to turn down. But, I look forward to working here in the future.

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at TellApart in May 2014.

Interviewed at the end of May. Applied from their web site. Includes 2 phone interviews.

The first one was with their recruiter John. It was conversational, informative, fun, and,..., one-of-the-kind. He seems to know a lot about the industry, technologies, company, projects, products, people, customers, which made me think a company with such a brilliant recruiter must have a lot of talented people too.

The second call was with the VP of Engineering Wade, a very intelligent and nice executive. He asked about my strengths, weaknesses, achievements, career plan for the next 3-5 years, etc.. He also gave me plenty of time to ask questions. Very patient.

Although it was a regret that they decided to move forward with other candidates who fit their current needs better, I like their quick follow up and found the interview process a pleasant experience.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at TellApart in May 2014.

1. Initially contact by the recruiter (very enthusiastic) via LinkedIn. Be careful, he will try to sell you how great the company is. After the interview and some research, you will find out that’s not true.
    2. Phone screen with an engineer (very good interviewer). Can’t imagine he is still there.
    3. Sent me the code for tic-tac-toe implementation in Java which to be discuss during on-site
    4. Onsite interview, it was schedule for 4 hr.

I was very impressed with the over all process, but everything crashing down during the onsite.

During the onsite, they don’t have any one at the front. So, you have to ask a random person and tell him that you are here for interview. He let you to another person and after few minutes they figure out who you are and walk you to the conference room. The interview started with 2 people. Both people will ask questions. However, the first coding question was drive by one person. After that the second person takes over and ask technical question about your experience. After about an hour and half, they both walk out. You can see them talking to the two other people that will be interviewing you and the VP/Manager. One of them came back and told me that I am done for the day, and they have seen enough. Bear in mind, the interview start at 10am and it’s lunchtime!

They are so cheap. They think that they are the most important people in the world and don’t want to waste any more time on you. Plus, they can’t even afford to feed you during lunchtime (~$9). They should at least let you having lunch and go home with some respect and some gas money. Moreover, if they commit to do the interview, they should finish it as promised. I felt that they are hiring fast food restaurant people not people with BA/BS/MA/MS/Phd in computer science, and certainly they are not hiring software engineer. I am so glad that I don’t work there. Imagine how they would treat you if they own you! If you have any offer beside Tellapart, take that one. As a member of the Silicon Valley software engineer, we shouldn’t let this kind company that doesn’t respect candidate flourish in Silicon Valley! When contacted don’t respond, when offered don’t go!

Interview Questions
    • 1. Merge N sorted list
      2. product of all other numbers of an array.

Input : [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
      Output: [(2*3*4*5), (1*3*4*5), (1*2*4*5), (1*2*3*5), (1*2*3*4)]
            = [120, 60, 40, 30, 24]
      You must do this in O(N) without using division.

Answer Question

Feb 23, 2015Recruiting Manager

TBH, I'm not sure how this review actually made it past Glassdoor's filters because I think it violates a couple of their community guidelines (e.g., Take the High Road, Help Others, etc.). While I ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TellApart in February 2014.

Back in February 2014, I was contacted by John, a TellApart in-house recruiter. In my career in the bay area, I have been approached by severals recruiters and John is by far the most helpful one. When he reached out to me, it was pretty clear my technical skills were not aligned with the job description. Though John was primarily looking for candidates with strong potential and solid past achievements while considering skills set as a nice-to-have. This totally made sense to me.

A week later, I had a phone screen interview with one of the software engineer. The interview was primarily about some real-life problems and how to design solution for them at scale. A coding question was also part of it. The software engineer I talked to on the phone was very friendly and quite knowledgeable. I felt he was very excited about his job and the opportunities at TellApart.

Later the same day after the phone screen, John reached back to schedule onsite interviews. The onsite interviews were made of 2 technical interviews about 75 minutes long, an interview with Wade, VP of engineering and Josh, TellApart's CEO.

Technical interviews were not so much about theoretical computer science problem but more about algorithms and designs applied to real-life scalability problems. One of the exercise was about looking at some code at home and explain during the interview what could be done differently in term of software design, extensibility and scalability. While taking the interviews, I enjoyed talking to the engineers, bouncing/sharing ideas and I truly felt this could be a good match at the personal level as well.

The interview with Wade, the VP of engineering, where about personal skills and the reasons of the candidate's interest in TellApart. The point being to see if a candidate would truly be a good match at the personal level and make sure that TellApart vision and a candidate's reasons for joining are aligned. While I was talking to Wade, I really felt that transparency at TellApart is part of the core values. It was pretty clear that at TellApart things are said the way they are without sugar coating and I really liked that from the start.

The interview with Josh went very well as well. It was mostly a conversation about the advertisement market, what TellApart is trying to achieve in the long run and how it is doing in this vast landscape compared to its competitors. After talking to Wade and Josh, I felt that executive management was pretty solid, with a very good experience and knowledge about the problems in this space.

The next day, John called to tell me that everybody was very positive and they would like to move forward. They also offered a deep dive architecture conversation with one of the software engineer so that I can get a better sense of what I would be doing and help with my decision. I really loved the data pipeline they were building and at this point, there was no doubt TellApart was a great option for me.

I took a week off, to think about it. I had still some interviews with other companies in the pipeline but I accepted the offer from TellApart before clearing them all. The offer negotiation experience was fine, after couple of back and forth we came to a point of common understanding and I accepted.

I started in March 2014 and I have not been *that* excited about my job in a *long* time. One of the thing that I really appreciate is that whatever we talked about during the interview process happened which comes back to the strong transparency in place at TellApart. There was no surprises or other "hey by the way we forgot to mention...". So far it has been amazing for me.

All-in-all great interview experience at TellApart.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TellApart in November 2013.

Got a call from a super friendly recruiter named John. He was super knowledgeable and explained the company and the interview process. He explained how TellApart was full of really great people who are highly technical and do great things. I was expecting my phone interview to be from a superb engineer and a cool guy to talk with, but instead...

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TellApart in October 2013.

Applied online and quickly heard back from the recruiter. The recruiter was very enthusiastic about the company, giving me a great deal of insights as to what TellApart does.

After the initial screen, had a technical screen that lasted 45 min. There were 2 questions, one was a coding question, the other was a design/concept question. Went well, and went on to final round.

Final round lasted 4 hours. There were 3 groups of interviewers (2 people each time, yes they double team you). You're also given a piece of code to review before the interview. They are heavy on design/concept questions. All of the questions required you to think critically. I.e. they weren't some generic sort-the-two-list-some-how kind of questions. The last interview was with the VP of Eng. He was a very nice guy and asked a lot of behavioral questions. He definitely emphasized the "cultural fit" element of the application. I will also confirm that there were some unexpected questions (as another reviewer mentioned). I won't talk about them, but I will mention that they were difficult, but interesting.

At the end of the day, I thought the process went well. A few days later I got a confirmation from the recruiter saying that I did a good job + they liked me; I've made it on the final candidate list. Yes! right? Nope. He mentioned that it'll take an additional 1-2 weeks for them to finish interviewing everyone else. I said sure.

I never heard back. So I followed up 2 weeks later, inquiring about the status of my application. No reply. A silent rejection? Come on now, a short letter of rejection would have sufficed.

Overall, the interview process was good. Everything was swift. I liked the interviewers (very intelligent and easygoing people). I liked the questions they asked (they try to asses your problem solving skills + ability to improvise). I enjoyed the conversation with the VP (I learned a few things about myself). But the fact that they never followed up was a big disappointment. At least show some decency/professionalism and reject me with a little dignity.

On to the next one, I guess.

Nov 4, 2013Recruiting Manager

Unfortunately, this happened. While there were some extenuating circumstances involved, that kind of stuff just sounds like an excuse when someone messes up. So, I own this mistake: it was my ... More