Telltale Games Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2014

Interviews for Top Jobs at Telltale Games

Lead QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Telltale Games in July 2014.

Initial Communications:
    Communications with the talent hiring team was very slow. I often had to wait for a couple of days for a reply to my emails and interview planning often ended up being last minute situations. The small alarms in my head were quietly starting by the end of this process.

Interview:
    Upon arriving at Telltale's front door, I was met with a sign instructing me to call a phone number for assistance. Alarms are pretty loud in my head now.

When I finally had assistance, I was given a quick tour of their offices before being seated back at the entrance so that they could gather up the interview team. The interview was fairly entertaining as the three people interviewing me were polite and seemed knowledgeable about their positions. And that's it really. I won't reveal anything due to a NDA but the job itself doesn't pay enough for the kind of work it entails and the area the office is located

Interview Questions
    • If the CEO comes by and asks you how the game is coming, how would you respond?   View Answer

Cinematic Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Telltale Games.

I submitted an application through their website along with the test. It was fairly easy and straightforward. About a couple months later I received an email asking for an initial phone screen interview. During that interview they asked the usual questions like availability, current rate and expected rate and so on. I gave them the rate which I was making at the time and the rate I expected and was met with silence. I'm pretty sure I had stunned her. She responded that people in my position would normally receive $30-40k. Told her that was unacceptable and unlivable. I suggested being negotiable so we moved on to the next stage.

Had a skype call with the supervisors. It was pretty casual. Questions were geared towards finding your interests, what you do in your spare time, your test, etc. It seemed like every part of the interview process ignored your prior experience. I didn't hear from them for about 3 months when I contacted them again. We hashed out a new offer that was slightly above her initial offer but still it wasn't enough.

Interview Questions

It would have taken about a year to recoup the costs of the move.

Producer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Telltale Games in October 2013.

Most unprofessional HR interview I've experienced, ever. Team interview was good. I can work around dynamic situations but the attitude brought to the first interview was just totally unprofessional.

Process
    - Email response from HR asking for availability for 30 minute screener call (in same week as application)
    - Screener call interview w/ HR.
    (Wait for over a month)
    - Email response from HR asking for availibility for in person interview with team.
    - Team Interview
    - Rejection email

Initial HR Screener Call
    - Called almost 30 minutes prior to my scheduled interview time (was lucky to have answered as I was outside at the time) and said she only had 15 minutes before she had to go while the interview was supposed to be a standard 30 minutes.
    - HR Lady threatened to discontinue interview process if I did not disclose my private salary history even when I told her I'd be happy to talk about numbers later in the process when an offer is being discussed (a line I've said on all the interview's I've ever had that have led to offers).
    - Asked repeat questions that I already answered on the application.
    - Had the most hurried, unprofessional responses to my questions asking about the actual position and its responsibilities.
    - In subsequent emails setting up the interview with the team, it was obvious the HR lady didn't even look at my address to see that I was 400+ miles away from their studio and took a long time to respond to my multiple emails stating where I was located and what interview options I was open to (Skype/Air Flight).

Hiring Team Call
    - Obvious that they're careful with who they hire and I like that. They asked a lot of good, solid questions and were very detailed on the type of personality and expectations for the role.
    - Their follow up questions to my responses seemed a bit like they didn't know the answer they were looking for but it led to good discussions on the work ethic and production methodologies of the team, which was very insightful as a prospective interviewer.
    - I would have liked a bit more time to ask questions of my own. We even went over the allotted time the discussions were very involved and had a good back and forth going.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly all very standard questions for a producer interview. All are based on situations, your previous experiences, what you want to do, why Telltale, personality questions, etc.   Answer Question

Game Writer Interview

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Telltale Games.

After chasing them for months to try and get any follow up from recruiting I decided this was probably just a way for them to generate story ideas without having to pay for them. The whole processes seemed very sketchy.

Interview Questions
    • They required an original script sample, making sure it's clear that you waive any rights to the ideas.   Answer Question

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Telltale Games in September 2012.

Was emailed regarding scheduling an over-the-phone pre-interview on a Monday. Scheduled the phone interview for the next day late in the afternoon and it lasted around 30 minutes. Was asked very standard questions about experience and some standard interview situational questions. Was told at the end of the interview I would hear something in around a week. The next day I received an email requesting a face to face interview, which happened the next day in the morning. At the face to face interview I met with 3 people at once, and it lasted around an hour. I was told over 100 people had applied and it would probably be quite some time before I would hear back from them, but to please be patient and to let them know if I received any other offers. Almost two weeks later, I emailed for an update and was told that the interview process was still ongoing and it would probably be another 3 weeks before I would hear something. The next Friday (a week later) I was informed by email that they were moving ahead with other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • The only thing that was unexpected was the amount of communication done over email, instead of over the phone. All contact, including the initial, was initiated by email, not over the phone.   Answer Question

Worked for Telltale Games? Contribute to the Community!