Telltale Games Interview Questions

Updated Jan 21, 2015

2.8

UI Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Telltale Games.

Interview

I had an phone interview there. They asked me some general question and wanted to give me a test.
    There was no follow up after. I email the recruiter back and she said the money I asked was too high.
    80K for more than 4 years + experience was too high for them

Human Resources Team Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Telltale Games.

Interview

My interview process with Telltale lasted 4 days from initial email to offer. Communication was quick, professional, and super friendly. When I arrived for the interview I was given a little goody bag, which was fun and unexpected. The studio is located in San Rafael right next to the freeway, which was really convenient. The area is gorgeous and the office has sweeping views of the hills. And coming from working in the city, free parking is SO exciting for me :)

Meeting with the team was great. Yes, they wanted to know about my background and what I would bring to the organization, but they also provided me with really valuable insight into the team structures, amazing products they're working on, and the studio as a whole.

Walking out, I knew I had to be a part of it.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were really that difficult. I have been working in the gaming industry, so my background helped. I think they mostly wanted to get a good sense of why I wanted to work at Telltale specifically, which was an easy one for me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was some negotiation, but at the end of the day the chance to work with these rad people on great games was what sealed the deal for me.

Production Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Telltale Games in December 2014.

Interview

Three sets of interviews, one of them a panel of six, two panels of two. Pretty relaxed ad hoc process, no scripted 'hr' type questions (describe a workplace conflict and how you resolved it) which was nice. Process was really fast (a little less than a month). They wanted me to start the month of the interviews (December) but I delayed this to January, they were fine with this.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to do a detailed blow by blow planning of a project. I'm from a parallel field, so I didn't have all the answers on this, but we got through it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was happy with the offer and did not go crazy negotiating. I really wanted the job.

Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Telltale Games.

Interview

The initial callback took a little long but, after that, the phone interview and Skype interview were prompt and professional. They are good people at telltale. They scan for people who are just as passionate about their games as they are. The result is a truly great work environment.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not difficult, but they did ask if I had played their games- of course!   Answer Question

Sound Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Telltale Games.

Interview

The interview process was fairly laid back and easy. Everyone that I spoke to was very informed and asked questions that pertained to the job I was interviewing for.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was the most "interview" style question. They asked me if I had ever faced a difficult situation and what I did to keep or satisfy my client.   Answer Question

Texture Artist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Telltale Games in September 2014.

Interview

Initial emails for planning interview date were very quick.
    Interview was with three supervisors for the position, they mostly asked things about my familiarity with the project, which programs I was able to work with, other work I had done (which was essentially none, besides school projects), and they looked through my portfolio.

The situation wasn't super stressful and they were very friendly and professional.

The interview ended up being exactly 30 minutes, as was stated in the email.

They got back to me with the job offer within the same week so the whole process was very quick.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Set rate

Technology Related Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Telltale Games in August 2014.

Interview

I was asked some very good questions regarding technology, management, and planning. I was honest and forthcoming and excited. Several people interviewed me for several hours. I was asked to come back for a second interview which was a bit shorter and had more to do with culture fit.

Interview Questions

• I didn't feel there were any difficult questions, other than the usual. They asked me scenario questions, which I answered with confidence.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Fair compensation

Lead QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Telltale Games (San Rafael, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Initial Communications:
    Communications with the talent hiring team was very slow. I often had to wait for a couple of days for a reply to my emails and interview planning often ended up being last minute situations. The small alarms in my head were quietly starting by the end of this process.

Interview:
    Upon arriving at Telltale's front door, I was met with a sign instructing me to call a phone number for assistance. Alarms are pretty loud in my head now.

When I finally had assistance, I was given a quick tour of their offices before being seated back at the entrance so that they could gather up the interview team. The interview was fairly entertaining as the three people interviewing me were polite and seemed knowledgeable about their positions. And that's it really. I won't reveal anything due to a NDA but the job itself doesn't pay enough for the kind of work it entails and the area the office is located

Interview Questions

• If the CEO comes by and asks you how the game is coming, how would you respond?   1 Answer

Cinematic Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Telltale Games (San Rafael, CA).

Interview

I submitted an application through their website along with the test. It was fairly easy and straightforward. About a couple months later I received an email asking for an initial phone screen interview. During that interview they asked the usual questions like availability, current rate and expected rate and so on. I gave them the rate which I was making at the time and the rate I expected and was met with silence. I'm pretty sure I had stunned her. She responded that people in my position would normally receive $30-40k. Told her that was unacceptable and unlivable. I suggested being negotiable so we moved on to the next stage.

Had a skype call with the supervisors. It was pretty casual. Questions were geared towards finding your interests, what you do in your spare time, your test, etc. It seemed like every part of the interview process ignored your prior experience. I didn't hear from them for about 3 months when I contacted them again. We hashed out a new offer that was slightly above her initial offer but still it wasn't enough.

Interview Questions

It would have taken about a year to recoup the costs of the move.

Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Telltale Games in October 2013.

Interview

Most unprofessional HR interview I've experienced, ever. Team interview was good. I can work around dynamic situations but the attitude brought to the first interview was just totally unprofessional.

Process
    - Email response from HR asking for availability for 30 minute screener call (in same week as application)
    - Screener call interview w/ HR.
    (Wait for over a month)
    - Email response from HR asking for availibility for in person interview with team.
    - Team Interview
    - Rejection email

Initial HR Screener Call
    - Called almost 30 minutes prior to my scheduled interview time (was lucky to have answered as I was outside at the time) and said she only had 15 minutes before she had to go while the interview was supposed to be a standard 30 minutes.
    - HR Lady threatened to discontinue interview process if I did not disclose my private salary history even when I told her I'd be happy to talk about numbers later in the process when an offer is being discussed (a line I've said on all the interview's I've ever had that have led to offers).
    - Asked repeat questions that I already answered on the application.
    - Had the most hurried, unprofessional responses to my questions asking about the actual position and its responsibilities.
    - In subsequent emails setting up the interview with the team, it was obvious the HR lady didn't even look at my address to see that I was 400+ miles away from their studio and took a long time to respond to my multiple emails stating where I was located and what interview options I was open to (Skype/Air Flight).

Hiring Team Call
    - Obvious that they're careful with who they hire and I like that. They asked a lot of good, solid questions and were very detailed on the type of personality and expectations for the role.
    - Their follow up questions to my responses seemed a bit like they didn't know the answer they were looking for but it led to good discussions on the work ethic and production methodologies of the team, which was very insightful as a prospective interviewer.
    - I would have liked a bit more time to ask questions of my own. We even went over the allotted time the discussions were very involved and had a good back and forth going.

Interview Questions

• Honestly all very standard questions for a producer interview. All are based on situations, your previous experiences, what you want to do, why Telltale, personality questions, etc.   Answer Question