Telsey Advisory Group

2.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at Telsey Advisory Group

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Telsey Advisory Group.

The interview started off well enough but as I met more and more people, they all seemed to be extremely unhappy. More than one person I interviewed with even went so far as to advise looking elsewhere because they couldn't offer what bigger firms could. Throughout the time I was there, I noticed several red flags that made me uninterested in the job and company. Overall, the interview was quite negative and unwelcoming.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Telsey Advisory Group.

This was possibly the most inconsiderate and unprofessional interview process I have experienced. First interview lasted for 4 hours and I met something like 9 people individually, and they kept repeating the same questions over and over. For the second interview they requested that I come in on a Saturday morning, which I agreed to because that was the only time convenient for them. I spent another 2-3 hours with them. Then I didn't hear back for 2 months, despite thank you notes and multiple follow-ups.

Eventually I heard back from the recruiter, asking me to go back and interview again for a different position I had no interest in, which I obviously passed on.

Did I mention that the salaries for both positions in question were lower than admin positions at most firms? Plus, they kept emphasizing the long hours..so your pay would come out to minimum wage if you did the math!!

Interview Questions
    • One person asked me a question about financial statements.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Telsey Advisory Group in August 2011.

Met

Interview Questions
    • All questions were related to my ability to bring in revenue.   Answer Question
    Several meetings, with everyone asking the same things. Not a well organized process.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Telsey Advisory Group in January 2011.

These guys are bush league. Dana Telsey has a solid reputation, but that was from centuries ago, and the firm that she built is populated by some dubious characters. They seem to have an inflated sense of their importance as evidenced by the direction they're taking the firm in--I don't know anyone who is bullish on their prospects. Nevertheless, I went in because Dana's brand had such a halo effect and I was met with a crew of people who were pleasant but a little clueless. First of all, everyone gave me a different story of what they were looking for and what the firm was trying to achieve; everything about the place, even the way they scheduled my time, seemed disorganized. I was trying to gauge their expertise with a few questions, which they fielded as if I were the idiot. One analyst didn't really seem to know his sector at all--he sounded like he was reciting the 10-K and used big words, but seemed unable to apply any critical thinking, which doesn't speak very highly of the kind of research they publish. Compensation is not competitive, or maybe that was just the role I was interviewing for. I tend to be low-key and go for the soft-sell in interviews, which usually serves me well, but not here--if you want the job, I'd advise that you be prepared to push your agenda hard. Take a hard stance on your opinions. They're not looking for accuracy as much as image.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Telsey Advisory Group in April 2008.

It was a simple interview that basically went through my resume and asked about what I was doing at school. There were no finance related questions, but they did ask me to do a channel check and do a small write-up. The people were friendly, knowledgeable, and interesting to speak with.