Telstra

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Account Executive Interview

Senior Account Executive
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Telstra in February 2014.

Interview Details – A long interview process which started with a phone screening with HR early December which went well but no further contact until a week before Christmas when HR advised there would be a face to face interview in the new year.

No further contact until late Jan and asked to attend a informal interview with the department head, that interview went well but again no further contact for a couple of weeks.

Contacted (again out of the blue) and asked to attend a formal interview with the department head. (Which was then rescheduled by them twice.)

Interview went well and told I was on the short list of 3 final candidates.

Contacted a 10 days later (again out of the blue) and told they wanted to progress to an offer. However, had accepted an offer elsewhere and to be honest was really just over talking to them by that point.

Interview Question – None, A standard behavioral interview, the questions are on a pre-prepared form supplied to the department head by HR and probably came out of a recruitment book someplace. However, the department head was out of his depth and uncomfortable running a formal interview so I had to spoon feed him most of the answers.   Answer Question

Human Resources Associate Interview

Human Resources Associate
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Telstra in April 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and recruiter contacted me within 2 weeks to do a phone screening.

The first face to face interview included mainly behavioural questions. It was pretty simple as long as you know your resume well and have good examples to answer with.

Then there was a 3rd interview which was really just a meet and greet with the senior manager to see how I'd fit in.

They did take a long time to generate my offer though. I wanted a week off between my last job and starting at Telstra but the letter of offer took so long that by the time i received, I only got the weekend off.

It was a good place to work at, most people know exactly what their role requires of them. Alot of layers of management required to approve things though.

Interview Question – They asked a question about customer service to external clients but being a HR position, it would not really require me to work with an external client much.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate

Telecommunications Graduate Engineer Interview

Telecommunications Graduate Engineer
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Telstra in July 2011.

Interview Details – 1. IQ Test
2. Resume Vetting + Phone interview
3. Training centre
- Presentation in front of group (5 minutes)
Scenario: How to improve the emergency services of SES, leveraging latest technology in relation to the state fires in Victoria
- Group discussion and presentation (5 minutes)
Scenario: How to leverage the technology that Telstra has and provide an user experience that will promote the brand of Telstra in an airport.
- 5 minute one on one interview with a regional manager
4. Interview with 3 regional managers

I got further that most of my colleagues, I don't know any of my colleagues doing their PhD's or Masters that were called back. And none of the MBA students in Melbourne business school got a position either.

4 rounds of jumping through hoops in one month, excelling in initial evaluations training centre but failing at a panel interview.

Interview Question – Explain how you have demonstrated excellent customer service in your previous experience or jobs.   View Answer

Social Media Community Manager Interview

Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Telstra in November 2012.

Interview Details – Initial contact via email arranging phone interview

Phone interview approx. 20 minutes asking general questions about past history

On site interview in Melbourne CBD with two different HR managers, followed by introduction to Telstra's corporate culture. Followed by panel interview with behavioral questions and questions about previous challenges.

Interview Question – Tell me about a previous conflict you resolved in one of your other roles.   View Answer

Telecommunications Graduate Engineer Interview

Telecommunications Graduate Engineer
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Telstra in May 2012.

Interview Details – Audio Screening > Psychometric Testing > Phone Interview > Assessment Centre > Final Interview

Interview Question – Describe a time where you had to market a product that wasn't initially a popular choice by consumers?   Answer Question

Senior IT Domain Specialist Interview

Melbourne (Australia)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Telstra in April 2012.

Interview Details – It is a classic case of Telstra delegating the management of the hiring process to an incompetent recruitment agency called Talent International. Telstra does not care how the agent behaves as long as the agent is able to recommend a suitable candidate. In my case, the agent required me to pay for my own air fares to travel to Melbourne, then asked me to reschedule my travel at my own costs, then put me through psychometric tests, then - after 1.5 month - told me that they recommended someone local over me just because they presumed that I don't have any agile software development management experience, which was clearly a false claim. The agent actually told me that I passed the interviews and received very appreciative feedbacks and that I also performed well in all the psychometric and personality tests. I just listened to the agent and chose to let them have their way because I was already dreading the prospects of facing the difficulties of relocating to Melbourne without my family.

Interview Question – When you know that the business will suffer because your immediate manager is too afraid of his peer (potential political back clash) to back your business case justification on the Captital Review Board, what did you do?   View Answer

Graduate Interview

Graduate
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Telstra in June 2011.

Interview Details – Began with Online Application in early April. Completed an online psychometric test in late April.Then in early May, was called up for a brief 20 minute phone interview. The HR representative had an excellent phone manner, very professional and pleasant to talk to.
 A week later, I attended a group assessment centre in Melbourne, where I was asked to participate in activities including a brief 1:1 interview and group problem solving tasks. The session was very well organised and interesting to participate in. The facilitators had an excellent energy, were very willing to answer questions and appeared to enjoy doing their jobs.
 Two weeks later, I attended a final panel interview with 2 managers and a HR representative. It ran for about an hour and was quite rigorous. The type of questions will depend on what business unit you are interviewing for and what experience or field of study you have. The interviewers were pleasant and welcoming, they also appeared genuinely interested to listen to what I was saying, and responded to my questions with frank and detailed answers that actually answered my question (so please feel free to ask your interviewers questions).
 An hour after the interview, I was called to confirm my referees. The next morning, a HR rep called one of my referees to conduct the reference checks.
 The following day, I received my offer.

Interview Questions

• What aspects of your field of study did you enjoy the most? Please elaborate on the reasons why.   Answer Question
  • Please describe a situation when a hurdle got in the way of achieving an ambitious goal. How did you use your initiative to tackle it?   Answer Question

Principal IT Domain Specialist Interview

Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Telstra in July 2010.

Interview Details – The application process was very straight forward. I received a call 1 week after applying saying that I was shortlisted for the position. The interview was one-on-one with the hiring manager.

Interview Question – What do you know about this job?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Graduate
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Telstra in November 2009.

Interview Details – Initially I submitted my resume online. I was then contacted by HR and asked to rate myself over the phone on my belived skills - i gave myself an OK result. Apparently i was sucsessful with this process and was then asked to come into a group session which lasted about 3.5 hours, and consisted of 3 group based presentations.

Once the assesment was completed we were informed if we were sucsessful or not. I was sucsessful and made it to the final round of interviews, which this time consisted of myself, a general manager and a recent graduate. The interview was short in terms of questions (only 3 which took .5 an hour to get through) however i did speak to the general manager and graduate for about another 3 hours, just to get an understanding of what would be occuring within my role if i recived the job.

I then made it through the interview process and was offered a job, which i tool.

Interview Question – given a new technology, how would you go about learning it as quickly as possible in order to provide maximun value for money towards the business   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – As this is a graduate role you are unable to negotiate any details of your award / package / agreement, etc.

Sales Consultant Interview

Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Telstra in March 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview first - basic questions based on past experience and I got the feeling that the interviewer was judging my phone manner as well.
Actual interview - behaviour questions were the main focus of the interview. Questions that called on you to draw from specific examples from your own past experience designed to probe into your work ethic, mental agility, problem solving skills, and your behaviour under pressure.

Interview Questions

• Give me a specific example where you demonstrated up-selling or cross-selling on a call......   View Answer
  • Give me a specific example of your objection handling skills.....   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I recieved a better offer elsewhere with greater pay and more flexible hours.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Telstra? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Telstra interview questions and advice in Melbourne, Australia. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Telstra employees and interview candidates.