Telstra Interview Questions in Sydney, Australia

Updated Mar 16, 2015

2.9

Applied Or Cloud Sales Specialist Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Telstra (Sydney (Australia)) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online and was filtered out of the process - did not get an interview. This was interesting as someone with 15+ years success in selling IT Services and Cloud. Telstra's hiring algorithms need some work I would suggest.

Technical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Telstra (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

I was recruited through Telstra Graduate Program. I went through 2 rounds of interviews with different engineering team managers. They only asked very general technical questions such as what port numbers do you know, and some behavior questions such as what if you are working with someone who you do not like to work with.

Interview Questions

• Behavior questions to test your personality and attitudes. How will you deal with other people who are giving you a hard time?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Telstra (Sydney (Australia)) in May 2014.

Interview

2:1 interview at Telstra's Sydney Pitt Street office. The interview was fairly straightforward, mostly behavioural questions - but the interviewers did ask a few questions about me and why I wanted to work for Telstra etc. I found that the interviewers were either playing dumb about my past experience, or didn't even read my resume because they were quite surprised when I told them about my previous work experience/experience with Telstra. Overall it was a good interview and the interviewers were very nice, as I was quite nervous when I was answering questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a bit about yourself., Have you applied for other companies?, Where do you see yourself in five years?, Tell us about a time where you faced a difficult situation?   Answer Question

Senior Design Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Telstra (Sydney (Australia)) in March 2014.

Interview

Process took 2+ months, Initial call by Recruiter to check relevancy- after 2 days was called for F2F intv. Face to Face interview - 45mins to -1 hr, Broken into 2 parts - 1. Behavioural and next Technical. Basic "Tell me a time " questions, If you are not prepared it can be difficult making up answers on the spot. They would go deeper and deeper with each question, like - Did you have any failed design ? What was it ? why did it fail ? who was responsible ? what did your manager do/Say ? what do you think you could have done so on.. you get the jist.. Technical round is straight forward, I was joined my Hiring manager and 2 design architects one from Melbourne other from Sydney. Asked me must know job role questions, nothing unexpected. Then I was told they are still interviewing other people and i would know if i made by end of the week. After 3 days recruiter called, saying they would like one more interview on the phone to cover some points they couldn't in my first round. Second round lasted 30 mins, more detailed behavioural questions, must say it took me some time to think about the answers which really would impress them. e.g Telstra is big and lot of process how would you fit ? what can you do if we offerred the role, How do you work with dispersed team etc ..etc.. I was then told recruiter would get back to me, and wasn't given any timeline. After 2 days I got the call - "You are our preferred candidate" said the recruiter, felt relieved - its difficult to express how relieved you are -when you havent been working for 3 months. So I was asked to submit references and 100 point ID proof for remainder of the recruitment process to follow. After having a taken consent from my references I forwarded them to recruiter, I heard from a friend who had earlier interviewed at telstra and was on shortlist with 2 other candidates for the job and was asked to give refrences- apparently he dint get the job -recruiter mentioned his refrences were not quite that strong compared to other candidates. I did not want to make the same errror, although I was their preferred candidate and no body else in line, I made sure references came from well respected senior management I worked with..(the C levels). My references worked beautifully, I think they send this to the hiring manager, for him to decide renumeration. After a week or so - I was called by Hiring manager to discuss salary - Negotiations were pretty straightforward - I did not want to risk asking for Higher range of the spectrum - I told him I would be happy with the middle of the range and he agreed - Now only thing separating me from the contract was the background checks - This took very ..very .. very .. long.. all the excitement died down.. It took about 3+ weeks for my background checks to revert - it had to be done internationally- All this time I was not updated on the progress by the HR - Nothing at all.. I felt this area could have been better, especially if the wait is this long.. After 4 weeks I called the HR and he told be my background checks have been done and now he just needs the final approvals - He told me, I should have it soon - I week went by and still no news.. I could see in my candidate portal -the status showed "offer approved" but HR never called - I was informed the following week that my offer was approved by the HR and salary was as discussed with Hiring manager - after 2 days I got my contract.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Straightforward - Matched my expectation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Telstra (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

Application process starts with filling out questions online. Then a phone interview which asks behavioural questions e.g. tell us about a time when _______. Then the online testing stage.Then a face to face interview with someone in management asking behavioural questions again, background check. Then offers and contract signing.

Interview Questions

• Tell us the subjects that you did best/worst in and why?   Answer Question

Telecommunications Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Telstra (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

Process started through online questionnaire which then progressed to a phone screening. After the phone screening is an online aptitude test lasting 20min or so. The next stage involves a group assessment centre where a group activity is given for you to solve and also a presentation about the activity with a mini 1 on 1 interview with a hr person. A final interview is given with hiring managers more specific to the role with majority of questions being behavioural questions.

Interview Questions

• When has a project failed and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Telecommunications Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Telstra (Sydney (Australia)) in March 2013.

Interview

Voice interview where you add your voice to the recording system, Online test which uses Onetest as the provider, Phone Interview is a 15 minutes chat with the recruitment team. after that is the assessment center and then the final interview. The process is very good and challenging.

Customer Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Telstra (Sydney (Australia)) in January 2013.

Interview

a telephone interview + group + in-store 1:1 interview. group interview was quite difficult and you really have to try and find the right timing to talk and stand out. There are also a lot of brainstorming activities related to pushing the business forward and also teamwork with in the store In store interview is quite easy and once the manager approves, all the confirmation documents are sent straight away.

Interview Questions

• Role play during the group interview is quite hard if you don't have previous telco experience, they will ask you to please an unhappy customer.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Telstra (Sydney (Australia)) in June 2011.

Interview

There was an online test which consisted of around 100 questions which you had to complete around 10-15 mins. It consisted of many mathematical, logical and analytical questions. After that I had to wait for 15-20 days before they told me that I had been selected for a telephone interview. Telephone interview was arranged in a couple of days and it was straightforward and some questions were repeated from the questions which I had already filled online(while submitting the resume). There was another 15-20 day wait before they told me that I was selected for the assessment centre. The A.C. had three parts. 1:1 interview(with a manager), presentation and group discussion. After this round I waited for 2-3 days before I got to know that I was selected for the final interview. The final interview was a panel interview which had all the usual behavioural questions and I got the offer within a week. The most important part is that they kept in contact with me telling me of any delays during the interview process.

Technical Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Telstra (Sydney (Australia)) in September 2010.

Interview

Like many large organisations, the people you deal with during the application phase are not the people that interview, or that you may be actually working with.

Interview Questions

• Can't recall - none were that unexpected or difficult really   Answer Question

Negotiation

n/a - offer exceeded my expectations