Tencent Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

2 weeks, 5 round tech interviews, i was on the campus interview process. one of the problems is Given a n-by-n matrix, each cell has a value of either 0 or 1. A cell indicates a wall if its value is 1. give the length of the shortest path from M[0][0] to M[n-1][n-1]. You can move either up, down, left or right.

Interaction Designer Interview

Interview

It was a pretty standard hiring process, first phone interview, second round was a group interview, we had form a team on the fly, and came up with a idea within like 10 mins

Negotiation

The offer was really good

Legal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Tencent.

Interview

Interview conducted over the phone. Interview conducted in Mandarin. Asked about experiences working or living in China. Also asked about experiences with legal research. The final decision was made over a month after the interview.

Mobile Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Tencent (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

The office in Palo Alto is only 6-7 employees large so the process is rather quick. 1 HR screener and 1 Phone Interview and 1 On-site with the BD Director. The office boasts a start-up culture but they have limited backing of the primary company in China. The outfit seems to be experimental and the expansion strategy to North America is very unclear. The interview was very direct with the domain expertise-level questions and a validation of how big your rolodex is to help assist with cold calling issues. Unfortunately the BD team is not strong enough to influence the Product Strategy due to a lack of technical fluency and thus the impact is rather limited in scope that has no hooks for business partners. No behavioral fit questions. Feedback was promptly given 1 week later.

Interview Questions

• What are the key verticals that Tencent should address? What are the benefits for the consumers and the businesses? How would you approach this partner? What are other monetization models that WeChat could evolve?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tencent (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

I have 2 on site interviews. The first one last the entire afternoon from 2 pm to 6 pm. I have interviewed with 9 people. I later find out, 3 of them are from my project team, the other 6 are department heads and team leaders from other departments. The interview process is very friendly, non-intimidating. They never asked any "tricky questions" or brain twisters.

The second interview I met with the General manager of the company. It's a very fast and easy meeting, and I had a very good impression with the company.

About 2 days (I think) later, I got the call and was hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It's pretty straight forward. They give me an offer which was a lot better than my job at the time, so I accepted without much negotiation.

Software Engineer Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Tencent (Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)) in April 2015.

Interview

There are three rounds total, and I was got rejected in the second round of the interview. They usually ask you for some fundamental questions on C/C++, Computer Network, Algorithms and Data Structures. Don't worry about difficult questions. Sometimes coding on paper or finding bugs in a short program are required.

Interview Questions

• Q: Can a virtual function in C++ be inlined?   Answer Question
    • Q: Find out all bugs shown in the piece of codes below:
      char *UpperStr(const char *srcStr)
        char *destStr;

destStr[nLen] = toupper(srcStr[nLen]);
        return destStr;

Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Interview

Did the marketing internship for a month. Was a very good experience. They don't really have a fixed criteria as it is basically marketing for their app. As long as you're interested and have an adept knowledge of smart phones you are in.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Tencent.

Interview

Professional skill including language specified knowledge, software engineering ideas. They put too much emphasis on you can do, seems like as soon as you join the team, you should be able to do what they want. Put no emphasis on learning curve.

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wuhan, Hubei (China)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Tencent (Wuhan, Hubei (China)) in March 2014.

Interview

Talked about the projects that I did.Then moved on to solving a question. Because I was late at that day so the interviewer seemed unhappy about me. I knew I blew it up the moment I went into the interviewing room.

Interview Questions

• How to remove a camel string.   1 Answer

Interview

1 HR interview and 2 Technique interview. Ask some questions about STL, C++, OS, Network and Algorithm. The hardest puzzle is a optimal stopping problem. There're some diamonds outside the door of every floor, you go through from bottom to top, can see the amount of diamonds of every floor, but can only pick once, how to maximum the expectation of diamonds you'll get.