Tencent

Getting the Interview

19 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Legal Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Tencent.

Interview Details – Interview conducted over the phone. Interview conducted in Mandarin. Asked about experiences working or living in China. Also asked about experiences with legal research. The final decision was made over a month after the interview.

Interview Question – What is your favorite Tencent application?   Answer Question

Mobile Business Development Manager Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Tencent in November 2013.

Interview Details – The office in Palo Alto is only 6-7 employees large so the process is rather quick. 1 HR screener and 1 Phone Interview and 1 On-site with the BD Director. The office boasts a start-up culture but they have limited backing of the primary company in China. The outfit seems to be experimental and the expansion strategy to North America is very unclear. The interview was very direct with the domain expertise-level questions and a validation of how big your rolodex is to help assist with cold calling issues. Unfortunately the BD team is not strong enough to influence the Product Strategy due to a lack of technical fluency and thus the impact is rather limited in scope that has no hooks for business partners. No behavioral fit questions. Feedback was promptly given 1 week later.

Interview Question – What are the key verticals that Tencent should address? What are the benefits for the consumers and the businesses? How would you approach this partner? What are other monetization models that WeChat could evolve?   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tencent in June 2011.

Interview Details – I have 2 on site interviews. The first one last the entire afternoon from 2 pm to 6 pm. I have interviewed with 9 people. I later find out, 3 of them are from my project team, the other 6 are department heads and team leaders from other departments. The interview process is very friendly, non-intimidating. They never asked any "tricky questions" or brain twisters.

The second interview I met with the General manager of the company. It's a very fast and easy meeting, and I had a very good impression with the company.

About 2 days (I think) later, I got the call and was hired.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It's pretty straight forward. They give me an offer which was a lot better than my job at the time, so I accepted without much negotiation.

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Tencent.

Interview Details – Professional skill including language specified knowledge, software engineering ideas. They put too much emphasis on you can do, seems like as soon as you join the team, you should be able to do what they want. Put no emphasis on learning curve.

Interview Question – Can you do Android development now?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interviewed at Tencent

Interview Details – 1 HR interview and 2 Technique interview. Ask some questions about STL, C++, OS, Network and Algorithm. The hardest puzzle is a optimal stopping problem. There're some diamonds outside the door of every floor, you go through from bottom to top, can see the amount of diamonds of every floor, but can only pick once, how to maximum the expectation of diamonds you'll get.

Interview Question – The optimal stopping problem   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Software Engineer In Test
Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tencent in June 2012.

Interview Details – The process is very long. I had been interviewed 5 rounds. And first 4 rounds are the technical interview, asked me 3 algorithm questions, and write the code on the paper. They value the way you are thinking and the way you are solving the problem. The last round interviewed by HR. They will talk about the salary.

Interview Question – Give you a unsorted int array. How to get the subset having the max sum   Answer Question

Game Artists Interview

Interviewed at Tencent

Interview Details – Into the company through campus recruitment

Interview Question – Interpersonal processing   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Campus recruitment is a fixed salary, can not be negotiated

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Tencent.

Interview Details – I submit my resume through their website, and they notify me that we need take a on field test. I pass the test and then we have an interview.

Interview Question – Why do you learn a language like C# instead of C++, C# makes you replacable easily.   Answer Question

Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Tencent in April 2012.

Interview Details – firstly i submitted the application online.several weeks later, i was invited to take the paper test at th university.After that,i was interviewed 1 on 1 for 3 times.Then i received the job offer.it seemed that this company was hiring a lot of engineers this year.

Interview Question – what experience make you feel the most frustrated   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – the pay is too low

Business Development Manager Interview

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tencent in February 2011.

Interview Details – Started off with a brief phone interview in which the interviewer just asked a bit about me and my previous job experience. The next step was a Preliminary Written Test, which I'm not sure I failed or not because while I was told that "I may not be the appropriate candidate for this position", I got a call back a few weeks later for another brief phone interview.

Anyway following that was a written test, followed by another written test, and then finally a last one. After all that, I was once again given the old HR rejection template and told "I may not be the appropriate candidate for this position".

Interview Question – Please create a general test report on this game.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Tencent? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tencent interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by Tencent employees and interview candidates.