Tencent

19 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Manager Interview

Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Tencent in March 2012.

Interview Details – I sent email to apply for the job and was given a phone interview by HR the next day. We just talked the projects I envolved in. And I was called to attend the group interview at Tencent's Guangzhou Development Center. There were 7 interviewees in the group interview. We were asked to decide which person we are going to take with if we are going on an exploration. I acted as a team leader, but I didn't talk much. Maybe that was why I was rejected.

Interview Question – Given 8 famous people, each with particular abilities, discuss which one would we like to take with most on an exploration.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Tencent in January 2010.

Interview Details – There was a phone interview at first, just some basic question to make sure everything in my resume was correct, then the questions move to why Tencent? And why are you chosing Shenzhen to find job opportunities. After that I got a insight interview the next day. The first step was writing exam about Korean language skills, next step was interview with 2 Korean employees who may working in the same position, they asked me some personal question like do you want to travel and how do you handle the archohol. The last step was with the head of the HR, he asked me about experience in game industry and some relevant questions, the whole process toke 5 hours. 2 days later I got the job.

Interview Question – Why Tencent.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tencent in October 2011.

Interview Details – i give my cv to a headhunter, after a few day, i receive tencent human resource's call. we make a date to interview face to face. then, i have 2 wave interview. there is one person in the first wave, ask me some algorthums and other fundamental programming knowloge. there are 2 person in the second wave, they ask some game development experience. after a few day i get human resouce's call that i get the offer.

Interview Question – what's your salary of the last job?   Answer Question

Back Office Function Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Tencent in December 2010.

Interview Details – likes to hire the persons w/ the MNC experience, Big 500 especially

Interview Question – a project will be launced and u need to buy 500 x servers. at the last minutes, u are told the config is incorrect. do u have any plan to recover?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – the salary is okay to negotiate if u feel they like u and want to hire u

Strategy Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tencent in July 2008.

Interview Details – have to feel right. prepare to be asked general questions of varies sector in china and global internet industry such as mobile, SNS, search, e-business, etc.

You will be rewarded if you have your own independent insights,and a good one of course, on china internet sector

show respect to tencent

Interview Question – what your general view of china internet competition landscape   Answer Question

Business Strategy Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Tencent in September 2010.

Interview Details – I spoke with a recruiter for this position on the phone. The interview probably took 40 minutes, but she was basically asking me questions from a list of questions she had from the hiring manager and taking notes. This means there were not really any very deep questions because there were never any follow-up questions. She said she would pass on her notes from the interview to the hiring manager, who takes his time in hiring for positions, so there was no real timeline. I asked how I could follow up, and she said she would email me her email address, but I never received an email from her. I was not impressed by the process and thought it very superficial (and a waste of time).

Interview Question – Do you play any games? If so, which games and why?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Tencent in March 2009.

Interview Details – first a 1:1 interview; several days later a group interview

Interview Question – how is your past experience in large-scale projects?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Tencent in September 2009.

Interview Details – It's a position at PMO, mainly resposible for developing internal MIS. Their new office is cool.
3 rounds of interview, asking questions on .NET Framework. No question on algorithm...
First round: A young engineer came to tell the main tasks of this position, and we talked about some basic concepts in .NET.
Second round: The team manager, and main tasks of this position again. He states their internal system is used in high volume, may send 10k mails simutanously. Ask me how to do this... Add servers, and queueing...
Third round: Technical manager of the PMO, ask some WCF authentication and authorization questions, and why our company, why our department.

Interview Question – Talk about ws-HTTP binding in WCF   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Salary not as expected

Game Testing Interview

Game Testing

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Tencent in April 2009.

Interview Details – There are 3 interviews. In the first one, I was asked about some basic questions. In the second one, some guy seems to be a boss ask me about my plan in the next years, and some questions about understanding of the company's culture.

Interview Questions