Tendril Interview Questions

3.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at Tendril

Platform Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Tendril (Denver, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

Submitted a resume through their website and got a reply within a couple days. Phone interview was set up quickly but there was a little miscommunication on their side of who was doing the interview and what time it would start. I applied to this before recruiters talked to me about it. There were at least 5 different recruiters trying to push this job. It seems they are casting an extremely wide net.

UI Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tendril (Boulder, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

1st Contact: Thirty minute call with Recruiter / HR - non-technical, went over my background to see if my skill set fit the position, overview of the history, current state and culture of Tendril. Very straight-forward. 2nd Contact: One hour call with a lead developer and quickly went over my background and technologies I work with, then jumped into fairly in-depth javascript topics and 'gotchas', my thoughts on best methods for continuous integration / automating testing and deployments. Then we spoke of my goals and favorite technologies and why... Topic: vanilla javascript vs. coffeescript vs. ES6, javascript frameworks - react vs. backbone vs. angular, ruby, BDD, node.js, etc... Overall, not highly technical. Mainly a high level discussion to see if I knew what I was talking about and if my knowledge / skills would match with their technology stack. 3rd Contact: Three hour in person interview. Met with an HR type person for a quick tour of the office, an overview of benefits, etc... Two and a half hour technical interview with a lead developer and a mid-level developer. Started with some very straight-forward HTML5 / CSS3 - for them to see if they should "wrap up early" then dove into some highly technical javascript problems. Followed by a general discussion of my favorite UI framework, which happens to be React. 4th Contact: One hour lunch with VP of Engineering and the Principal Engineer. General discussion on various topics. This was a "will he fit in here" / "would we want to work with him" lunch.

Platform Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Tendril (Boulder, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume and cover letter through Jobvite. About 2 days later I had an initial phone interview that was very conversational and focused on my knowledge of general programming concepts. After passing the first phone interview, I was brought on site for a interview with the developers. The onsite interview consisted of coding exercises, whiteboard design talks, and general conversation. They also took me out to lunch and then I followed up with the HR people and was on my way after about 4 hours. I had 2 more phone interviews after my onsite, they were higher level vision conversation, and then one more onsite at the very end to answer some more questions that I had. Overall, everyone I met was very friendly and knew their stuff, it was a very positive experience and only made me want the job more.

Interview Questions

• How does the GIL affect parallelism in Ruby and Python (specifically the C interpreter versions.   Answer Question
    • Lots of conversation around testing, BDD particularly.   Answer Question
    • Explain/Whiteboard how you would design a back-pressure sensitive system for a set of devices all talking to a single endpoint.   Answer Question