Teradata

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teradata.

Behavioral interview on the phone that lasted about 30 mins followed by a phone chat with an engineering that also lasted about 30 mins. The first behavioral interview was with HR and it was very pleasant. The recruiter was polite and we had I was able to learn a lot about the company as well as talk about my own technical experience.

The phone chat, scheduled 2 days after, was the worst experience I ever had in my life. The engineer was very, very rude. Part of it was my fault. When asked if I wanted tocommit into the database team for a 3+ years I wrongly said that I wanted to explore more fields and try out new things before committing. To which he replied "I'm not going to pay you to do someone else's work". I was so shocked I didn't know what to say. I genuinely tried my best to laugh it off and pacify the situation (maybe he was having a bad day) but he kept on taking it so personally. At one point I said (with more stuttering/stammering then described here) "Look I'm not trying to antagonize you- this is just where I am. I'm a new grad. I need space to learn things not specific to my job description. " but he replied with "I'm not against learning" but the company isn't putting money into our team "to help you get into another company".

The interview pretty much went downhill from there with me trying to explain that "learning new things" does not mean "doing someone else's work". But he just wouldn't accept that. Again, part of it is my fault. It is true that there is a risk in hiring a new grad that is looking to explore- he might find that it is boring and quit. But to simply accuse me of using Teradata as a stepping stone for not willing to form a 3+ commitment on the 2nd interview is just wrong. And quite frankly, unprofessional and rude. The job application even said "Software Engineer" not "Database Internals" so excuse me if I didn't expect to be pushed into a commitment.

Overall, I'm just deeply disappointed. I was very excited to work with Teradata since my interest aligned very well. But I never, in my life, expected to get into an argument with such an obstinate, rude recruiter. Though this specific experience does not categorize Teradata as a whole, I'm sure Teradata is great company that does great work, but this was absolutely the most outrageous, enraging interview ever.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your past experiences and why you think you would be a good fit to Teradata.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Teradata.

The initial process up until the first interview took only about two-three weeks. I got a call from a HR person from the company, was vetted and then pushed to an additional phone interview with the Hiring Manager who was in Germany. After that, I was brought in for a face-to-face interview the next week to an office in Indianapolis where no one from my team or the product I would be supporting would be... and this is when the strange stuff started.

There was no one from my team or no one I would work with on a daily basis that I interviewed with. I interviewed with 2 ladies from the marketing content team - very nice but I wouldn't really work with them on a day to day basis. Interviewed with the VP of marketing (not the same team I would be on) - he was awesome, but I felt bad because the position I was interviewing for wasn't on his team nor would have any contact with him ever. Lastly I interviewed with a product manager - again not for the product I would be supporting, who stared at his coffee cup for the entire interview and ask the same questions over and over again. It was like Chinese water torture. I never heard back from the HR person even after I contacted her 3 time via email and phone - not even a generic "ding" letter.

Systems Engineer Interview

Tedious, slow and cumbersome. It took a month from the first contact to do the interview. First scheduling person I talked to knew nothing about the job. Finally I was scheduled with 4 people over 2.5 hours. One had nothing to do with the job or hiring process. All were nice. The job was listed as junior but one manager grilled me about high level senior IT functions so I sensed they wanted a senior engineer guru for $55,000. Plenty of Indians on site. I got the feeling that the entire IT department will be outsourced to India or that Indians on visas will get all the San Diego IT worker's jobs. No one has an office-even directors and VPs have cubes so forget about privacy and quiet.

Interview Questions

Too little money, bad Glassdoor reviews.

Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Teradata in January 2015.

They contacted over the email, and setup a phone interview
    The interview was scheduled for one hour, the interview was held out very professionally and they allowed sufficient time to answer the questions

Database Administrator Interview

Usual hiring process. Apply online, receive phone call. Technical interview first then final interview with the managers and some technical lead. After you pass all the interviews, they will have you on probation for 6 months and if you succeed you will be a regular employees. Training will be conducted and Certification is required. There will be a workshop which is a classroom environment learning and will be based on the current version available in the market.

Software Test Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teradata.

Applied at career fair. The process took less than a month. Had two telephonic conversations. One was with the team engineer who talked about the company, his team and about my background and interests in general. Questions were about my background and projects in detail. Asked a few questions in database and Java. Questions related to improving performance of few projects were asked. Java questions: what are virtual functions, abstract class, implement keyword, interfaces.

Entry Level Big Data Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teradata.

The first interview was virtual, using a website called HireVue. It was set up so a question would be shown, you'd have thirty seconds to think about your response, and then it would start recording. I thought it was a good first interview and probably one of the better ways to "screen" candidates. Next was a phone interview with the hiring manager, it lasted approximately 45 mins to an hour. The first half was mostly her talking about the company and giving information about the job. The next half was centered around different behavioral type questions, with a few slightly technical questions. The final interview was an office visit in Johns Creek, GA. They gave an hour long presentation about the company, the benefits, etc. which was followed by two half hour interviews, one with a technical employee and another with a more project manager type employee.

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain a database to an eight year old?   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate.

Senior Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teradata in November 2014.

Was initially referred by a former student in my program. I completed an online interview, then a phone screening, and finally met face-to-face with HR and senior consultants. Overall the process wasn't too difficult and the questions were mostly easy, with a could atypical interview questions thrown in. There was a lot of competition for the position which is likely why I wasn't given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What would your least favorite professor have to say about your strengths.   Answer Question

Manager, Software Engineering Interview

Each interview is based on past work and behaviors. You'll need to be able to demonstrate what you as an individual did and how you did it. In each case they will attempt to zero in on your specific contributions because they are trying to discover whether or not you're a contributor and how well you perform in both individual and team roles. They are looking for leaders so while demonstrating expertise in your discipline is important, demonstrating an ability to both lead and follow is equally important.

Interview Questions
    • I don't believe they have any difficult or unexpected questions. They are not trying to trick you. They just want to learn about your competencies based on demonstrated work in prior work/volunteer/university engagements.   Answer Question

PS Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teradata.

3 Rounds of interview. 1st was video, 2nd was phone, 3 was in person. Lots of behavioral questions and some technical. Know your SQL and Relational Database Concepts. A lot of the selection process is based off resume and degree. This was for the University New Hire Program.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer behavioral questions on the first round. Nothing really difficult, just standard (strengths and weaknesses)   Answer Question
    I offered. They countered. I negotiated for the middle. Over the phone pretty standard.