Teradata

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II
San Diego, CA

I interviewed at Teradata in March 2013.

Interview Details – contacted HR through Linkedin. They scheduled my 1 hour long phone interview. The questions were mainly on resume and some on data warehouse and data base. Phone interview was held by a team consisting of 1 project manager, 1 system tester, 1 senior developer and 1 HR.

Interview Question – Just know your resume and let them know why you need to work with Teradata.   Answer Question

Contractor Interview

Contractor
San Diego, CA

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Teradata in July 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by them at the beginning of the week to schedule the interview. They really wanted to interview me, so they asked if they could interview me after hours. I said sure. They asked me basic questions. I was able to answer almost all of them.

Interview Question – Tell us about how you handled a difficult situation   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was already set by the temp agency.

Information Engineer Intern Interview

Information Engineer Intern
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Teradata.

Interview Details – Applied online. E-mailed me 2 weeks later. Set up phone interview.

Interview Question – Pretty casual. Talked about projects on my resume.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Teradata in January 2014.

Interview Details – New Grad position - first contacted to fill out a screening form where I outlined my experience in certain areas as well as answered questions regarding expected salary. Next I had a phone interview with the hiring manager and an engineer. Relatively easy and mostly non-technical. We discussed my education and experience in internships. At the end of my phone interview the hiring manager said he wanted to move forward and get me in for an on-site interview. We scheduled that interview right then. The onsite interview consisted of 2 rounds with 3 people each. The first was with a group of engineers and it was some technical questions, but nothing really specific or hands on. Some behavioral questions. The second round was mostly all technical and certainly the most difficult part of the interview. This round was with the hiring manager and senior engineers.

Interview Question – Implement a stack on the board, BST traversal, insertion, removal, pointers   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was a little lower than I was expecting. The HR representative indicated flexiblity but in providing a counter offer they were only able to come up a little bit. Nevertheless, a great company that I am excited to work for!

Database Intern Interview

Database Intern
San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Teradata in February 2012.

Interview Details – Went to school job fair and submitted resume to the hiring manager. A week or so later I got an email from her to schedule a phone interview with one of the engineers. He asked a couple of database questions and about what I wanted to do in the future.

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Teradata in September 2012.

Interview Details – Phone screen lasted about 30 minutes. It consisted of 5 technical questions and going over related work history. Not much was discussed about the new position. On site interview as mostly going over work history.

Interview Question – I expected the on site interview to be more technical like the phone screen. I was asked only one technical question, the rest of the time was just reviewing my work history.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Teradata in June 2012.

Interview Details – The Hiring Manager emailed me to set-up a series of Interviews. The interview consisted of 4 1:1 interviews:
1st Interview with Hiring Manager; We discussed my resume & past experiences & tried to identify pertinent aspects for the job. It was extremely cordial
2nd Interview was with Director of PM - again a comfortable interview; we discussed merits of Pragmatic Marketing etc
3rd Interview was with another Product Manager - again cordial; we discussed the infrastructure for PM
Then Hiring Manager gave me a tour of the campus & told me that they consider me extremely interesting & also asked me my salary expectations. He asked me to comeback the next week & meet another PM - that was on vacation
4th 1:1 - was cordial; we traded notes on Product Realization Process & felt comfortable about the process
The Hiring Manager informed that they are in process of wrapping up interview process the next week - they still had some internal candidates to interview
The next week the Hiring Manager informed me that final decision would be made after 2 weeks
After 2 weeks, Hiring Manager informed me that they decided to go with an internal candidate for the job - disappointing but understandable.

Interview Question – Nothing of note - usual PM questions: top accomplishments, weaknesses (if any) etc   Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

Software Engineer III
San Diego, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Teradata in August 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was straight forward. I met with coworkers, manager and director.

It was clear in the interview the people who really knew what was going on were the employees. Management was struggling to understand some of the basic concepts of IT. The environment had no redundancy, no reliable generator or battery backup. Each employee I talked to knew what needed to be done, but management refused to do what was necessary.

Interview Question – I was constantly asked if I had unlimited resources, what would I do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Teradata offers Zero flexibility in negotiating salary or vacation. You either accept what they offer or decline the offer.

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Software Engineering Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Teradata in November 2011.

Interview Details – This was a typical interview process where I met with members of the team and talked about the job and my experience. Really nothing too hard about the interview just have your act together.

Negotiation Details – The strange thing about Teradata is that you negotiate with HR and not your hiring manager. I had never experienced this before so be ready with your industry standards and proof that you are what you are worth. They are low in their initial offer and will work hard to keep you low.

San Diego, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Teradata in August 2009.

Interview Details – At least follows industry standards of no suits. Usual model, phone screen > onsite, I think 4 or 5 rounds. Questions of less difficulty generally compared to Google, Amazon, etc.. Fairly standard otherwise. Flight reimbursed, hotel, rental car. No indication of how backwards the actual environment is.

Negotiation Details – Very little room to negotiate. Salary structure fairly rigid. Had to provide a nominal counteroffer of +8k to get an additional 3k to starting sal.

Worked for Teradata? Contribute to the Community!