Interviews for Top Jobs at TerraGo Technologies

Sales Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TerraGo Technologies in July 2007.

Initial conversations were through former colleagues from another company and then through the HR department. The formal interview process began with phone screenings and conversations with various engineers, the sales director and others in the company. They seemed genuinely concerned about building a solid company around the technology they focused on, therefore they seemed to be checking for both technical competence as well as an aptitude for communications and sales skills.
    The one-on-one interview was with the CEO who was fairly new at the time. My perception at the time was that he was more "generic biz" with a focus on bringing the company to profit and then public. I was not exactly impressed with his understanding of the geospatial industry, but he had been successful (as I learned during the interview) in other industries. I felt that it was overkill to be interviewed by the CEO after having so many calls/conversations with others in the company and I later learned that this was par for the course... Caveat: there has been a massive change of leadership so the current CEO is a different person.

Interview Questions
    • Why have you never stayed at one company for more than three years? (not a hard question, but one that they asked repeatedly)   View Answer
    Their HR department tried to come in very low with both PTO/vacation (initial offer was two weeks) and with salary, claiming that the .5% comp for a sales engineer would be lucrative based on the "pending" gov't contracts I would be involved with. Initial salary was offered at something like $60-80k. I would have taken a $26k hit to leave a similar position, so I negotiated to $106k+comp and, having had 4wks a year of vacation for years, I negotiated to 3 weeks PTO. They were feeding me lines about two weeks being a company standard for ALL new employees, regardless of position, so I asked if the new CEO only got two weeks too... The silence on the end of the phone sealed the deal: I said four weeks, they said three plus all Federal holidays and that was it.

Marketing Interview

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TerraGo Technologies in May 2011.

Interviews went great with the senior management team. Discussed compensation possibilities. Final interview with CEO lasted three minutes. Asked why I had so many jobs, didn't let me finish explanations, stood up and said it was not a fit; very rude.

Interview Questions

Later learned CEO makes decisions based on one random question. Perhaps he missed his calling in psychology. Mgt. team was disappointed and confused. Cleary not unified on what they want to hire. Disjointed & dysfunctional. "CFO" is just a accountant contractor.