Terracon

2.3

Engineering Technician - Cheyenne Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Terracon.

I initially applied online - I was contacted by Terracon to be a field technician for them, but at an office 50 miles from my house (there were 3 offices that were closer). Initially, I was reluctant, but this was in the middle of the Great Recession and I needed a decent job. The interview was fairly easy, my resume spoke for itself and I was offered a position, but at a lower rate of pay then my qualifications rated. I took the position and figured I could work my way up to a more industry-standard rate within a year or two.

Interview Questions
    • "Do you mind being away from your family?" "Do you plan on being divorced in the near future? "Would you take less money then you have made in the past?"   View Answer
    They offered me a position that meshed with my 11 years of experience, but for a fairly low amount and NO company vehicle. At the time, jobs in this field were scarce and I had a mortgage to make. Now (2015) that the economy is better I would more leverage and I would not have settled for less then 22.00/hr. I urge others to check the statistics for compensation (available from the Federal Government) and then add 10%. Terracon has thrived for years by underpaying its field personnel and replacing them every 3 years on average.

Engineering Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Terracon.

The interview was conducted with two department manager and generally the question was a very basic question of construction engineering inspection. Mainly what type of additional skill I am going to offer to the company and asking my work experience I had in the past.

Field Geologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Terracon in October 2014.

Interview completed via phone. The interviewers seemed okay, but uninterested and bored throughout the interview process. Asked standard questions at first. What job experience do you have, what classes did you take at your university, can you withstand rough conditions such as cold weather, rugged terrain, being able to lift 50 pounds, etc. Then they moved to more odd questions, such as, if I could instantaneously move instead of commuting 100 miles each day (after I told them I was more than willing to make the drive for this job). They continued to pry and ask why I wouldn't move and then tried to persuade me to move by saying my apartment complex would allow me to without having to pay to break my lease. It felt almost like if I declined to move, they weren't going to offer me the position; which they never followed up with me after saying they would once the interview was complete.

Interview Questions
    • Why I couldn't move closer to the job site.   View Answer

Environmental Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Terracon.

I had responded to an advertisement for a department manager. I went so far as to see if. The person I knew was serving in that position was still there. I saw where a person with the same name was employed with another company, so I thought it was legit. After. Completing the online application, it only took a day or two to get an interview with the office manager. Imagine my surprise when the department manager was in the room. It was only surpassed by his when i told him that I had applied for his position. At that time, the office manager chirped up that he posted the position to get higher quality candidates.

Yeah, I took the jobless a project manager.

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Terracon.

I was given a face to face interview with the hiring manager who was a "Scientist." He was very vague about the company, hiring process, and wouldn't discuss any compensation or benefits. He was quick to promote how "smart" he was and how he's made lots of $$$ for Terror-con. I lost interest quickly in the interview and knew this wasn't a place I would want to work. I was introduced to the office managers which were cold and not very sincere. The employees all seemed very tired and you could easily tell that morale was low. No thanks!

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions. They were all the same as anywhere else like the usual "where do you see yourself in 5 years." In my case I was thinking in my head "not here." They didn't seemed organized nor prepared for the interview unlike other interviews that I've been to.   View Answer

The pay was awful and I knew the office I would be working from was a terrible place to work.

Entry Level Industrial Hygienist/Technician Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Terracon.

Found out about it on a job seeker site, emailed resume and received a call within days. Interview went well, looked at resume and asked questions relating to education and experience. Gave details about the company and perks of company, also gave details about the job... it went very well. 2 people interviewed and asked the questions...

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself within the company in 2 years?   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Had mutual acquaintance, phone interview, in person interview

Field Technician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Terracon.

Originally interviewed for another position, based on experience, through recruiter. Was called back for my current position. The project manager was late for the interview, he forgot about it (has happened to other people).
    One thing that struck me was that during the interview he advised that he doesn't expect employees in our division to stay more than three years. He advises most people of this and I have talked with other employees in other offices who hear the same thing from other managers. We are an employee owned company. Why do they have such a low expaectation for their personnel and what are they doing to change it?
    This was an easy interview to ace.

Interview Questions
    • There were none.Comapny was not used to hiring personnel with actual trades experience.   Answer Question
    Recruiter negotiated for me, had relationship with company.

Staff Scientist Interview

The interview went quick. There were two managers there. Only one in person.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me why I was interested in leaving my current company   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate but wish I did, think I probably could have gotten more money.

Staff Geotechnical Engineer Interview

I sent many applications online, and the next day, Terracon regional owner in Oklahoma sent me an email, what is your prefered time. I thought I was going to there from Texas, but they wanted me to have an interview on phone first.