Terumo BCT

14 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer

I interviewed at Terumo BCT in June 2014.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with a hiring manager and an H.R. representative at Terumo in Elkton MD. She started by asking that I keep my answers short since we only have 30 minutes. She then asked questions such as "what makes you think you can do this job?" and then later she said "describe your performance reviews starting from eight years ago" I said my boss would have a sheet with accomplishments for that year, job performance score in different categories, goals and objectives for the next year. She said "yeah talk about that starting with the job from eight years ago".

Interview Question – It was difficult to remember the details of my performance reviews starting from eight years ago.   Answer Question

LMS Data Administrator Interview

LMS Data Administrator
Lakewood, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Terumo BCT in December 2012.

Interview Details – Very smooth, enjoyable process. Phone interview with HR recruiter first, then in-person/ face-to-face interview with hiring manager/ supervisor as well as department manager. Interview was conversational and very pleasant. Both interviewers were very kind, nice, and respectful. Neither tried to interrogate or ask overly difficult questions or questions that did not directly relate to the position.

Interview Question – I don't remember any being very difficult, but if I had to choose, maybe either "tell me about yourself" or "why did you leave your last position"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't a negotiation phase because I accepted their offer without trying to negotiate compensation.

Lab Manager Interview

Lab Manager
Lakewood, CO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Terumo BCT in February 2014.

Interview Details – The position was posted for 1 week. I applied, and received a call to schedule a phone interview with a HR person. That interview lasted 1.5 hours, and included basic HR questions, as well as job-specific questions. All questions were reasonable and expected. "What's your biggest struggle & what are you doing to overcome it?" "Tell me a time you had conflict at work & how you handled it." etc. I didn't hear from the company for almost 2 weeks and tracked down the email address of the HR person I spoke to (note to people interviewing: ask the HR person for contact information in case you want to call or email them) and sent him a thank you letter (which I should have done immediately) for the interview saying that I looked forward to hearing back and was very interested in the position. He called me and scheduled an in-person interview. When that date conflicted with a volunteer commitment that I had (going on my son's field trip as a chaperone), he was very understanding and rescheduled the interview.

The in-person interview included 6 1-on-1 interviews, as well as a lunch interview with the people who would report to me. It lasted over 5 hours. (I should have brought some water with me because I ended up getting a tiny cup from them & was so thirsty the whole time.) Each interviewer was really great. Very personable.

I absolutely was thoroughly impressed with this company and their employees. Most of the people have been working there for a long time (8-17 years, from the people I met) and truly love it. Their company is doing great things for people (developing cellular therapies that have the potential to change the face of medicine as we know it), and that is very motivating. They ensured me that they have a heavy focus on work-life balance, which is VERY important to me. I was truly impressed with their company culture and their vision for the future of apheresis technologies.

They like leaders who are strong and not micro-managers. :)

Interview Question – Their most difficult question had more to do with me than them... They asked me why I was looking to change jobs, as I have been working in my current position for 12 years. That was a hard one since I am truly happy where I am now.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Ultimately, 49% of me wanted that job, wanted to work with those people, and wanted to be part of their team. It really had NOTHING to do with their company, and everything to do with me.

One criticism: When you are offered a mid-to-high level job, being offered an entry level benefit package is discouraging. They only offered me 2 weeks of time off a year. I earn 6 weeks where I work now. That is very hard to give up, and negotiating 4 extra weeks is very unlikely.

Global Technical Specialist Interview

Global Technical Specialist
Lakewood, CO

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Terumo BCT in November 2013.

Interview Details – Initial e-mail contacts. Phone interview. Then face-to-face interview. Interviewed with 5 department engineers and technicians. Reviewed my resume and discussed my background and qualifications.

Interview Question – "Having been a manger and owner of your own company, won't you find it difficult to work for someone else?"   View Answer

Manufacturing Operator Interview

Manufacturing Operator

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Terumo BCT.

Interview Details – Only the first 100 or so candidates that apply for the entry-level operator job are considered. I recommend setting up your application profile on the company website so that when the position is listed (about 3-4 times a year) you can receive an email alert and apply rapidly. Hiring choices are markedly skewed towards women and minorities.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Terumo BCT?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Sales Consultant Interview

Sales Consultant
Lakewood, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Terumo BCT.

Interview Details – Starts with HR or a head hunter. Screening from HR, interview w/ field manager and/or field staff. If brought out to Lakewood, you have a very high chance of getting the position. If you've never been at altitude, pre-hydrate, bring Chapstick and tissues. The altitude can make or break your day.

Interview Question – Sell me this pencil. They are looking for you to state benefits of a product, close the discussion and ask for the sale.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Wasn't given the option to negotiate offer. It was offered and there was no movement.

Direct Contributor Interview

Direct Contributor
Lakewood, CO

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Terumo BCT.

Interview Details – Came in as a contractor performed the job very well and was brought on regular

Interview Question – No questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Terumo BCT in April 2009.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview. Second interview onsite. 4 one-on-one interviews back to back, thirty mins or so each

Interview Question – Whats your greatest weakness?   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – None

Senior SWQA Analyst Interview

Senior SWQA Analyst
Lakewood, CO

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Terumo BCT in November 2012.

Interview Details – I have to say it can be a lengthy process. The team I interviewed with was very level-headed and bright although; upper management is probably very "tight" despite the company practically owning a monopoly in this sector. Profits go back to Japan where (likely) the American worker isn't held in the highest regard or to the highest standard. Interestingly, I don't think I would have landed an interview had I NOT been currently employed. Likely the company (as many do) favours siphoning off "employed" candidates rather than giving a chance to those who are unemployed. I was asked repeatedly (by every interviewer) whether or not I was currently working. This seems to be an important point I picked up on from past experiences with technical job recruiting. In conclusion, it seems like a great place to work with lots of like-minded individuals, however; unless you have a highly specialized skill, don’t expect much in the way of a salary bump (especially if you're already doing well in your current occupation). Working for Terumo is probably more about giving one a place to be passionate about one's "craft", however everything has its price.

Interview Question – Some brain teaser looking for analytical thought process rather than "correct" answers. All fair questions. You should be prepared to honestly express passion for your craft (especially medical related software) - afterall the end result of your work affects other people's lives.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Lakewood, CO

The process took a day - interviewed at Terumo BCT in March 2012.

Interview Details – Interview was great! They didn't ask any "behavioral" interview questions like most people in H/R do. I was interviewed by people in the group and they mostly asked questions about things on my resume.

Interview Question – What is your objective?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Worked for Terumo BCT? Contribute to the Community!