Terumo BCT Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2014
Updated Jun 23, 2014

3.1

Process Engineer Interview

interviewed at Terumo BCT in June 2014.

I had a phone interview with a hiring manager and an H.R. representative at Terumo in Elkton MD. She started by asking that I keep my answers short since we only have 30 minutes. She then asked questions such as "what makes you think you can do this job?" and then later she said "describe your performance reviews starting from eight years ago" I said my boss would have a sheet with accomplishments for that year, job performance score in different categories, goals and objectives for the next year. She said "yeah talk about that starting with the job from eight years ago".

Interview Questions
    • It was difficult to remember the details of my performance reviews starting from eight years ago.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Operator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Terumo BCT.

Only the first 100 or so candidates that apply for the entry-level operator job are considered. I recommend setting up your application profile on the company website so that when the position is listed (about 3-4 times a year) you can receive an email alert and apply rapidly. Hiring choices are markedly skewed towards women and minorities.

None

Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Terumo BCT in February 2014.

The position was posted for 1 week. I applied, and received a call to schedule a phone interview with a HR person. That interview lasted 1.5 hours, and included basic HR questions, as well as job-specific questions. All questions were reasonable and expected. "What's your biggest struggle & what are you doing to overcome it?" "Tell me a time you had conflict at work & how you handled it." etc. I didn't hear from the company for almost 2 weeks and tracked down the email address of the HR person I spoke to (note to people interviewing: ask the HR person for contact information in case you want to call or email them) and sent him a thank you letter (which I should have done immediately) for the interview saying that I looked forward to hearing back and was very interested in the position. He called me and scheduled an in-person interview. When that date conflicted with a volunteer commitment that I had (going on my son's field trip as a chaperone), he was very understanding and rescheduled the interview.

The in-person interview included 6 1-on-1 interviews, as well as a lunch interview with the people who would report to me. It lasted over 5 hours. (I should have brought some water with me because I ended up getting a tiny cup from them & was so thirsty the whole time.) Each interviewer was really great. Very personable.

I absolutely was thoroughly impressed with this company and their employees. Most of the people have been working there for a long time (8-17 years, from the people I met) and truly love it. Their company is doing great things for people (developing cellular therapies that have the potential to change the face of medicine as we know it), and that is very motivating. They ensured me that they have a heavy focus on work-life balance, which is VERY important to me. I was truly impressed with their company culture and their vision for the future of apheresis technologies.

They like leaders who are strong and not micro-managers. :)

Interview Questions
    • Their most difficult question had more to do with me than them... They asked me why I was looking to change jobs, as I have been working in my current position for 12 years. That was a hard one since I am truly happy where I am now.   Answer Question

Ultimately, 49% of me wanted that job, wanted to work with those people, and wanted to be part of their team. It really had NOTHING to do with their company, and everything to do with me.

One criticism: When you are offered a mid-to-high level job, being offered an entry level benefit package is discouraging. They only offered me 2 weeks of time off a year. I earn 6 weeks where I work now. That is very hard to give up, and negotiating 4 extra weeks is very unlikely.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Terumo BCT.

Starts with HR or a head hunter. Screening from HR, interview w/ field manager and/or field staff. If brought out to Lakewood, you have a very high chance of getting the position. If you've never been at altitude, pre-hydrate, bring Chapstick and tissues. The altitude can make or break your day.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me this pencil. They are looking for you to state benefits of a product, close the discussion and ask for the sale.   Answer Question
    Wasn't given the option to negotiate offer. It was offered and there was no movement.

Global Technical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Terumo BCT in November 2013.

Initial e-mail contacts. Phone interview. Then face-to-face interview. Interviewed with 5 department engineers and technicians. Reviewed my resume and discussed my background and qualifications.

Interview Questions
    • "Having been a manger and owner of your own company, won't you find it difficult to work for someone else?"   View Answer

Direct Contributor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Terumo BCT.

Came in as a contractor performed the job very well and was brought on regular

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Terumo BCT in April 2013.

takes a long time but they ensure they're bringing in the best, went through lots of hoops, learned allot by meeting with so many people, was hard to answer the behavioral questions but everyone was so nice!

Interview Questions
    • what is most important to you in choosing your next position?   Answer Question
    gave me great offer out of the gate

LMS Data Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Terumo BCT in December 2012.

Very smooth, enjoyable process. Phone interview with HR recruiter first, then in-person/ face-to-face interview with hiring manager/ supervisor as well as department manager. Interview was conversational and very pleasant. Both interviewers were very kind, nice, and respectful. Neither tried to interrogate or ask overly difficult questions or questions that did not directly relate to the position.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any being very difficult, but if I had to choose, maybe either "tell me about yourself" or "why did you leave your last position"   View Answer
    There wasn't a negotiation phase because I accepted their offer without trying to negotiate compensation.

Senior SWQA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Terumo BCT in November 2012.

I have to say it can be a lengthy process. The team I interviewed with was very level-headed and bright although; upper management is probably very "tight" despite the company practically owning a monopoly in this sector. Profits go back to Japan where (likely) the American worker isn't held in the highest regard or to the highest standard. Interestingly, I don't think I would have landed an interview had I NOT been currently employed. Likely the company (as many do) favours siphoning off "employed" candidates rather than giving a chance to those who are unemployed. I was asked repeatedly (by every interviewer) whether or not I was currently working. This seems to be an important point I picked up on from past experiences with technical job recruiting. In conclusion, it seems like a great place to work with lots of like-minded individuals, however; unless you have a highly specialized skill, don’t expect much in the way of a salary bump (especially if you're already doing well in your current occupation). Working for Terumo is probably more about giving one a place to be passionate about one's "craft", however everything has its price.

Interview Questions
    • Some brain teaser looking for analytical thought process rather than "correct" answers. All fair questions. You should be prepared to honestly express passion for your craft (especially medical related software) - afterall the end result of your work affects other people's lives.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO

The process took a dayinterviewed at Terumo BCT in March 2012.

Interview was great! They didn't ask any "behavioral" interview questions like most people in H/R do. I was interviewed by people in the group and they mostly asked questions about things on my resume.

N/A