Tesco Customer Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.3

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gillingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Tesco (Gillingham, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Answered the online questions, got a call 2 days later, asking me to come in, I got four time/day options. Waited at the customer service desk for about 5mins for everyone to show up. Had to sign in with security. Then we were walked to the interview room (about 5 of us 1 more came late). Two managers interviewed us. We had to fill in a form to show our identification and NI number. Then we went round in a circle and gave a brief introduction. After that we filled in a form to show our availability and any holidays or commitments we had planned, Uni, holidays etc. We had the paper tower exercise like most of the others here. (Had to be 6ft, eco-friendly, needed a flag, 5mins planning, 20mins building, stand for 1min, made of paper and tape etc.) Ours fell over. But they let it pass as it'd been up for most of the 20 mins anyway.. It was quite the monstrosity actually, darn ugly. We then discussed what we did, how we'd improve it, had to justify our ideas and how it met the conditions. Then the group got asked some questions. We didn't have to input (one girl didn't on one and some people went twice) and it was very casual, a few jokes and stuff. The questions were just read straight off a sheet, pretty basic. Then we got a lunch break, about 20mins, while they shared notes and scanned documents. After that we were split into groups and went to different areas of the store. I was on tills, helping pack, talking to customers. The other group were on stacking and I think they just got given things to put in the right place, and made sure they were all lined up nicely. Then we went back got told about how we'd find out and what would happen next, then we could leave. Sorry, I was quite thorough. I went in pretty nervous, but it was really okay, the other candidates were nice and the interviewers were friendly. I'll hear back by email within 7-14days, pretty confident though, it went quite well.

Interview Questions

• Name an instance where you had to deal with a customer (or other) complaint? Then some follow-up ones from that, like 'how did you ensure they were happy after that?'   1 Answer
  • Give an example of where you've had to adapt Follow-ups ie. 'what did you gain from adapting?'   1 Answer
  • How would you ensure Tesco can give good service to its customers and what would you add to that?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Tesco

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Tesco in June 2015.

Interview

I made the initial application online. Within a week, I was called into my local store for interview. The interview itself was easy. The manager was very pleasant. There were no unexpected or difficult questions. There was an informal discussion of my hobbies and we talked a little about what the position would entail. The manager was pleased that I asked about the position and team I'd be working with.

Interview Questions

• Q. Do you not feel you want to pursue a career more in-keeping with your degree?   1 Answer
    • Q: Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question
    • Q: Tell me a little about yourself.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Forfar, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Tesco (Forfar, Scotland (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

I submitted an application through the Tesco Careers website, filling out basic details and a questionnaire that focused on how I would respond in some everyday customer service scenarios. After this, I was contacted approximately five days later by the hiring manager for my local store. A one-on-one interview was scheduled for a few days later. During this interview, I had the opportunity to speak to the hiring manager, the main interviewer and the managers of four different in-store departments. The interview itself was quite informal and most of the managers I spoke to were included simply because they walked past the main interview and I in the corridor. After filling out basic details, I was asked some further customer service questions and presented with a list of currently available job openings at the store - with the interviewer confirming with me that the hours and contract of each opening were suitable. As part of the interview, I had to bring in my right to work documents (my birth certificate, national insurance number, etc) and was informed that - due to delays in the Tesco head office - there would be a three week waiting period. In actual fact, this took closer to four weeks at which time, the hiring manager contacted me to let me know that I had been successful in obtaining a position. My induction was scheduled for one week later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you've gone above and beyond to deliver excellent customer service.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your previous roles and what skills you can bring to this role.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Tesco (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

I saw the vacancy online and applied here. I then received a phone call just twenty minutes later to arrange an interview and was told it will be a group interview. The group interview was eight people in total (including myself). We filled out forms and the HR manager gave us some general information about how things work. We were then split into two groups of four, where one group would work on the shop floor for roughly ten minutes while the other group were in the boardroom discussing questions asked by the interviewers. The groups then rotated. We then in our groups had to build a 6ft tower out of paper that stood for 2minutes. We had 5 minutes to plan it, 20 minutes to build it and 5 minutes to present it. Five days later I received a phone call saying that my interview was successful and inviting me to induction on Saturday.

Interview Questions

• When have you done something for someone that wasn't expected of you?   Answer Question
    • When have you gone out of your comfort zone?   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Caerphilly, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Tesco (Caerphilly, Wales (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Interview was done via group, took around 4-5 hours and was asked all the same questions, was notified that I had the job the same day, had to wait over 8 weeks to start!

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tesco (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, received an email and a text to confirm my availability. Attended the interview, which was a group interview this lasted about 2 hours. Then waited a week or two and was asked to come in for a one on one interview which consisted of roughly 3 to 4 questions. Three days later was offered a job but declined.

Interview Questions

• During the group interview you are asked to sell a random item to the group.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cam, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Tesco (Cam, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was incredibly relaxed and the manager was lovely! Got to talk about where I am in life. He didn't really use the interview questions he just wanted to get to know me.

Interview Questions

• What are you doing in your life right now?   1 Answer

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Romford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Tesco (Romford, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online and answered a series of questions, got a call two days after for an interview. Arrived at the store and told to sign in. Waited 20 minutes for anyone to see me. Group interview with 9 others, Person kept dissapearing for long periods at a time. Asked the group 3 questions, waited again for half an hour. Had 1 2 1 interview, the job I applied for was completely different to what they were offering now. Asked 2 questions in 1 2 1interview. Seemed rushed and disinterested. Told to find my way out. Got lost as place was like a maze. If they offer me a job I will turn it down. If this is the sort of behaviour from senior members of staff I can understand why the store has such a high turnover. This is not the right first impression to give potential employees.

Interview Questions

• Was there an occasion where you have had to change your behaviour.   1 Answer

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Tesco.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call a few weeks later to arrange a 1 on 1 interview. and then i was soo happy because that was my second interview since 2 years of applying :o so what happened is i forgot the day of the interview and thought it will be next day which i was late. i received a message saying i was unsuccessful for the role (because i didnt turn up). after 2 weeks i received a phone call saying that they want to invite me for interview again same store without applying online :o. i said to myself wtf really? i didnt turn up because i mixed my days and got over excited. well i accepted the interview and came to it. i saw like people going out and coming in for interview :o i thought it will be group interview. but it was 1 to 1. it was like 6 managers or somthing interviewing other candidates. the person whos interviewing me, she is a nice lady and i felt we were connected by chating and talking about scenario. YES! SHE GAVE ME scenario that would answer the question she was asking me and that helped me alot by thinking about my experience and talking about it openly. althought the room was like too loud because of other interviews next to me we were laughing and understanding each other. she said that the position i applied is not only for 1 person .. they need like more than 7 or 10 she said. and was told that I would receive a phone call VERY SOON if you are the successful because in 3 days will be the induction. so yeah ... my interview experience was relaxing compared to other interviews i had :o and i wasnt feeling nervous and by the way she was asking like 7 questions :o as she was reading it from a booklet. - still waiting for the call.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tesco (Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)) in April 2015.

Interview

I was called on a Tuesday and had the interview on a Wednesday. The interview was pretty standard, basic competency questions and really relaxed. I was quite annoyed because they didn't call me after the interview at all to let me know if I'd gotten it (obviously I didn't.) It still would've been the professional thing to do, especially since there was only a couple people called for the interview. I was interviewed by two different managers and they were both nice. They were able to have a laugh with me which helped me feel more relaxed.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years, sell yourself in 30 seconds-1 minute, name a time you had to make an important decision, a time when you went above and beyond for a customer, a time when you broke a rule, why should I hire you?   Answer Question