Tesco

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Assistant
West Mersea, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Tesco.

Interview Details – Online application, consisting of a questionnaire. Then a phone call and arranged interview at the store location. There is then more 'what would you do' questions in the interview, and a short booklet to fill out. Questions consisted of 'Can you remember a time you...' and 'Describe a time you were...'

Negotiation Details – there wasnt one.

Interviewed at Tesco

Interview Details – Very formulaic process, but that comes with them hiring hundreds and thousands of people every year. The interview wasn't particularly intimidating, and I was made to feel welcome.

Interview Question – There weren't any real surprises. You might need to think of a time when you went above and beyond customer expectations to help them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Haverhill, England (UK)

I applied in-person - interviewed at Tesco in October 2009.

Interview Details – Had one interview and an induction a couple of weeks after. Then was told I had the job.

Interview Question – Why do you think you'd be good for the job?   Answer Question

Halesowen, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Tesco in July 2010.

Interview Details – Simple hiring process: Handed in to the store my Tesco application form (now has been replaced by a standard CV requirement) which I had printed from the careers website.

Interview request came back several days later. The interview was simple assessing competencies and a small amount of time was spent trying to understand me as a character. The interview lasted 20 minutes maximum.

Before I was offered the job I was asked to shadow an employee for 20 minutes to gain a very small taste of there day to day work and check I was still interested, once I had confirmed that I was I was asked to start the following week.

Interview Question – The competencies required 2 examples in several cases and this threw me but after some mild prompting I came up with the examples.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Customer Assistant
Bangor, Gwynedd, Wales (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Tesco in May 2008.

Interview Details – Great communication over the phone before hand. Interview consisted of in store group presentation, including group interview with scenarios and other team building exercises. This was followed by a one-to-one interview to discuss times of working, pay, availability and any final questions that needed to be asked.

Interview Question – Name a time when team building was essential in something you have done   Answer Question

Customer Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Tesco in August 2009.

Interview Details – You get a letter through the post, letting you know when your interview is and what time. You arrive and get taken to the rest bite around and asked if you would like a cup of tea/coffee. You sit in there for about a minute and then the interviewer comes and asks you to follow them, you go into a room and sit down. The interviewer asks you question's around personal integrity and customer focus. You then have to answer the question's but also give examples of where you have dealt with/ experienced those situation's. At the end of the interview you get told that you will get your answer either through the post or by phone, within 3days - a week

Interview Question – Describe a way in which you have put yourself out there to go that extra mile for a customer/ friend and how did that make you feel?   Answer Question

Customer Assistant

The process took a day - interviewed at Tesco in April 2009.

Interview Details – The nastiest interview experience I have ever had. Whilst waiting for the interview in the staff canteen, I was subjected to abuse from a group of non-management staff. This gave the impression of a deeply divided company.

Interview Question – Give details of situations where you have been given responsibility.   Answer Question

Bolton, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Tesco in January 2010.

Interview Details – I sent in an application form and was invited for an interview. This took place at the store and was conducted by a section manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No

Interviews for Top Jobs at Tesco

Worked for Tesco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tesco Customer Assistant interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Tesco employees and interview candidates.