Tesco Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

2.4

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paisley, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesco (Paisley, Scotland (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a call that nice asking to come along for an interview. Pretty friendly, just told to report to customer service desk on arrival. I was interviewed alone with 2 managers. I showed my right to work in the UK and filled out a form. They asked about holidays etc I may have booked and told me about the role and some benefits of working for tesco. I was then asked 5 questions but was very relaxed and they helped me along if they felt I was struggling. From there I had 15 minutes or so with a staff member/buddy on the shop floor just to see what the role was like/ask any questions. I ended up having a go serving some customers, even though I was most nervous here I found it fun. That was basically the interview and was told I would hear within 7 days. Exactly a week later I received a call offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• A time you had to support someone?
      A time you did something for someone that wasn't expected/asked of you?

Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Tesco (London, England (UK)).

Interview

There was no interview. I went to school with the night manager, so he called me and told me to come in and do a work sample, which consists of spending an hour or so down an aisle filling it. He then came and checked up on how I did and we went to the office he photocopied my right to work documents and took my bank details and passed it on to the HR manager in the morning. I was working with them within 7 days. There was an interview documents but he filled them all out as he said he had no time to conduct an interview.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Tesco.

Interview

Just to let you know guys I have had a recent interview which was just a group one - no one to one or shop floor work. Basic fform filling, introduce yourself to the group, then scenario questions put to the group as a whole, then build a tower out of paper. But then just to pre warn you as no one has mentioned it - for the last part we were given a product and had to stand up and sell it to the grpup so be prepared for that to just incase!
    Basically the whole iinterview consists of you showing you have knowledge and experience, also an interest in history and working for Tesco. Then it's just about you showing you can be a leader but also take other people's opinions and ideas into consideration too as don't want to come across as arrogant or that it's your way or the high way

Interview Questions

• Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer?   1 Answer

Customer Assistant/Checkouts Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tesco.

Interview

We did a group interview we all had to introduce ourselves first and then we had to wait for a call to for a one to one interview. I got called in for a one to one the woman was really lovely and I got the job

Full Time (Any Available) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ramsey, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Tesco (Ramsey, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

It was a small group interview, seven applicants and two interviewers. They took us into the staff room and everyone sat around a table, passed our ID documents to another person who left to make copies, and listened to the basic benefits of working for Tesco. After that we went around the table introducing ourselves (including the interviewers). They kept a large A4-sized booklet for each person, part of which had three sections of questions. The interviewers selected one question from each of the three sections to ask each of us; each section of questions was basically on the same theme but worded differently, so as long as you'd prepared an example vaguely on each topic it was easy enough to apply to whichever of the questions you were asked. The interviewers took one or two notes. After we'd each been asked our three questions there were forms to fill out on work availability and health issues, and then we were given the group task. I'm really grateful to Glassdoor for this part! I'd read reviews here saying that some people had been given the Paper Tower Challenge (which I'd never heard of), so I looked on YouTube and researched some good tower designs, ha. Since there was an odd number of applicants, my group had 3 people while the other group had 4, but we both succeeded in making towers that stood 6ft tall in 20 mins, and it was pretty fun. They then asked each of us a different question from the booklet about how we assessed the challenge or any difficulties, or who we thought had been the leader of the group, if our design had been environmentally friendly, if we'd had any disagreements while building etc. After that we were all taken out to the shop floor. Two girls were taken to Customer Service, two guys to go stock shelves, and three to cashier tills. We worked for 20 mins or so and were then given our ID documents back and signed out. The whole process took about three hours. They said they weren't sure how long it would take to get back to us as it depended entirely on Tesco's head office processing our ID documents, and apparently since tons of branches all over the country are hiring staff there's a back-log.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went the extra mile for a customer.   1 Answer
    • Describe a time you've had to change your behaviour for someone else at work.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant -Tesco Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesco (Colchester, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and went through some tests to do with customer service etc. After a few days I got a few applications coming back as unsuccessful but there were still 5 in process. About a week after applying I got a call from the recruitment manager at the Colchester Hythe store in Essex and was asked to come in for an interview, we first had to sign in at customer services and wait for the rest of the group (in this case 4 others). We were taken through to a private room in the back and had to fill in some forms to do with available working hours and health etc, the basics really. The next bit is rather amusing, we had to build a 6ft tower that would stand for 1 minute using flip chart paper, a4 paper and masking tape. Needless to say we failed but with some props or would have been fine.

We then were asked 2 customer focused questions and a informal one to ease the pressure (if you weren't already relaxed at this point), the question are below.
    Next was a bit of work experience where we all got taken to different places in the store, I was taking to the deli counter and taught how to prepare meat and use the scales with label printer. Normally we would have to serve customers but as it was quiet I just had a chat with the deli counter manager, once half an hour was up we then went back to the room and were told it was the end of the interview and went to sign out.

The interview was Tuesday 12th May, I was told I will find out by tomorrow Saturday 16th May if I have got the job. Unfortunately glass door doesn't have an option for still waiting.

Interview Questions

• What is Teamwork?   1 Answer
    • What is your favourite biscuit?   1 Answer
    • Describe a tine when you had to do something at work that isn't in your role and explain how you dealt with it?   Answer Question

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tesco (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

It was a group interview, where at first we introduced ourselves, filled some Health and Safety questions and availability during the week for the job. After that we were taken to the canteen where we waited for our turn to be interviewed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you are ideal for this role?   1 Answer

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cam, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Tesco (Cam, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was incredibly relaxed and the manager was lovely! Got to talk about where I am in life. He didn't really use the interview questions he just wanted to get to know me.

Interview Questions

• What are you doing in your life right now?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Tesco in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was done by two members of the team (other than the ones I was advised) and the format included an introduction by them about the team, an introduction by me, and a 10min coding test through shared screen. The format was also different than the 'informal chat' I was adviesd to expect by Tesco HR who set up the interview..

Interview Questions

• code a function that returns the n_th element of a numerical sequence   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tesco (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, received an email and a text to confirm my availability. Attended the interview, which was a group interview this lasted about 2 hours. Then waited a week or two and was asked to come in for a one on one interview which consisted of roughly 3 to 4 questions. Three days later was offered a job but declined.

Interview Questions

• During the group interview you are asked to sell a random item to the group.   Answer Question