Tesla Motors

Tesla Motors Interview Questions

Updated Jan 28, 2015
Updated Jan 28, 2015

Controls Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

I was contacted via LinkedIn by a 3rd party (they did not work for Tesla) recruiter who inquired if I would be interested in a controls engineer position with Tesla Motors. I replied within the same day with my resume as requested and scheduled a brief phone interview the next day. The phone interview was somewhat challenging as I had to escape from a hectic work schedule momentarily with little time to review. The questions were mainly regarding my previous experience. One of the questions involved describing a challenging problem at a previous employer and covering all aspects of how I solved it. I was asked what my current salary was and was told that they needed this information so they could determine if "they could afford me". Recruiter was professional in all communications. After the phone interview, I was given a name of a recruiter who would potentially call me within a few days. I also promptly received a follow up email with a job description and links for Tesla including YouTube videos for what I could assume was for the purpose of company branding. Some of the videos had been removed due to TOS (I believe one was a Discovery Channel Giga Factory video). Otherwise, I immersed myself in Tesla for the following days. 12 days later in the morning I got a somewhat unexpected call from Tesla's recruiter, as no specific time was set. The recruiter's questions were somewhat basic: why would you want to work for Tesla, what do you know about Tesla , etc. (I made the mistake of calling the "Store" a dealership..oops). Recruiter was friendly and upbeat and discussed a further interview with a supervisor in the controls engineering department. I promptly received a follow up email with the same job description and Tesla branding links. We scheduled the second phone interview with the supervisor for later that day. I received a call at the scheduled time and asked questions / discussed the position and answered several questions regarding my previous experience for 15-20 minutes. The interviewer was professional and pleasant to speak with. The call ended with the interviewer stating the he would talk to another engineering supervisor to see "if they had any open positions for me". I looked forward to hearing back but heard nothing for 10-12 days after which I followed up with Tesla's recruiter via email but I received no response. One week after that, I followed up with the 3rd party recruiter who promptly replied that they would follow up with Tesla. I received no response after that. Reading other interview reviews, I assume this is the end of the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions, everything was pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Engineering Technician I Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Initially I had two separate phone interviews discussing my background and experience. After I "passed" the phone interviews they invited me to there campus for a full day of interviews. I had four one on one interviews lasting from 9 AM to 3 PM. Each interviewer was a different person on the team that I would be working with if I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • A few circuit questions were asked dealing with low pass filters.   View Answer
    • I was asked to solve one algebraic problem dealing with fluid flow rates and pressures.   View Answer

Accepted another offer

Summer(CAE Engineering) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in January 2015.

I applied online. The hiring manager contacted me through email after 5 days of applying ,saying that my profile matches the skills that they are looking for the position. We scheduled a phone interview after 2 days of receiving the email.

First interview was easy. He just need to know waht you have done in your career and the skills matches the profile. Just went through the CV pretty quickly. They are busy people, so dont waste their time talking rubbish. Come to the point quickly.

After the first interview the HR manager/ Recruiter emailed me back within hours saying that I have qualified to the technical interviews and two engineers will be interviewing me. And we set up an appointment 2 days from this interview.

The second interview was with the head of engineering for that department. He explained what is the job function and what is required from me. Went through the resume one more time.Explained the projects that I did. Some tricky questions about Aluminium structures. Was very friendly. Talked about extra curricular activities like sports passion about cars.

The third and final interview was the hardest. He was a senior technical engineer (PhD). HE came to point pretty quick and was going through my resume and asking question about my past projects and experiences. He is trying to find an ideal candidate for that position. So take this step pretty serious. hey not just looking for a intern that will only work for the summer. It's like applying to a full time position. So you should be pretty smart. Since they are really intelligent. Went through all the courses that I learned and asked fundamental theories from each subject. When I answered wrong he corrected me. That was a learning experience for me. Questions about aluminium structures were stresses in the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are the Properties of Aluminium vs Steel?
      How does the frame properties changes if its made out of aluminium?
      What do you think the best material to use?

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The interview focused on technical details. I was given a sample code to debug and given hypothetical problems to solve. The interviewer also asked about my greatest strengths and weaknesses.

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect the interviewer to provide me a sample code to debug.   Answer Question

Delivery Orientation Specialist Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

First up was a phone interview- very straightforward, they asked about my resume and professional experiences and goals. The face to face was just a "get to know you" with the managers. Everyone was really friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself, why are you interested in Tesla, what are your career highlights?   Answer Question
    This is what we pay. No negotiation.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

If you want to work at Tesla; you need to be persistent. I have applied numerous times since graduating college in 2010. I interviewed 2 times prior to the 3rd, which finally resulted in an offer. Knowing someone who works there will help you get noticed by the hiring managers. Everyone is extremely busy, so don't take it personally if they say they are going to call you the next day and it ends up being the next week. It's nothing personal. People are just very very busy.

The interview/ hiring process:
    1.) Spoke with the recruiter and set up a phone interview with a senior Engineer.
    2.) Interview with senior Engineer. If you know what you are talking about then this should
         be enjoyable. They are getting a first glance at your personality and technical prowess, so be
         honest and don't try to embellish.
    3.) Spoke with recruiter and set up on-site interview a couple hours after the phone interview.
         The time between the phone interview and the on-site was less than a week.
    4.) On-site interview: This was a really cool experience for me. I interviewed with 2 Engineers and
         2 Managers. Again, it's not hard if you know what you are talking about. If you don't know the
         answer toa question; say so. Honestly is a good trait. Also, I'm really into EV, so I think I asked
         about 80% of the questions, which put my mind at ease and gave them a good idea of where I was
         at technically. Be totally transparent.
    5.) Contingent offer about a week later.
    6.) Essays for Elon: You need to write up 3 projects that you have done for Elon to review. Be honest
         and do not embellish. In retrospect this was a lot of fun.
    7.) Background check.
    8.) On boarding process.

The whole process was a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't the typical uncomfortable interview across a table. It was more of a conversation. Tesla isn't your typical vertical organization, and the mindset is similar to Google, so they want people who have the tech skills (tons of people), but personality plays a huge role.   Answer Question
    There are a lot of people who want to work at Tesla, so there will not be much room for negotiation. If you prove yourself and are a strong contributor; you will be rewarded. Tesla is a meritocracy. You reap what you sow.

Electrical Engineer Interview

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

Their recruiter found my resume on a professional website. Scheduled me for a phone interview. Hiring manager called me and asked technical questions related to my background. He asked for another interview, which would be scheduled by their recruiter. After three weeks no update! I sent follow up email. They didn't reply back and don't answer phone calls. I have another offer but like Tesla much more. It's not professional to leave an applicant with no response!

Warehouse Material Handler Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Tesla Motors in December 2014.

1) Had interview December 2, 2014 and was accepted for the position of a warehouse material handler and now am currently waiting for CEO to approve my letter.
    2) Super excited and eager to begin working for such an interesting company with potential and growth including stock option.
    3) After interview I had to wait for background check and that took about 2-33 weeks.
    4) Once background check cleared I was required to write a letter to the CEO for his approval in order to begin working (still waiting).
    5) As soon as letter is approved recruiter should get hold of me for orientation date for the up coming Monday followed by work week.
    6) Longest wait seems to be on the CEO but its understandable due to the fact he is running 3 companies. Whole process is most likely 2-3 months long.

Interview Questions
    • Why does CEO Elon Musk personally check all new hire letters himself and not have trusted co-workers assist him with the approval or decline of letters?   Answer Question

Product Excellence Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

First Interview: Casual Conversation with Recruiter. Talked about my technical background, and relevant work experience. Asked to provide three examples of technical excellence.

Second Interview: Casual Conversation with Senior Product Excellence Engineer. We went into more detail about what I have done specifically in the past to tackle technical challenges.

Third Interview: Department Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Personal problem solving questions and project examples.   Answer Question

Interactive Designer Interview

For my first interview at Tesla, it was a phone screening interview with the recruiting manager, and we went over some of my background and work experiences based on my resume for 15 minutes. He asked me about what makes me interested in Tesla at the end of our conversation. Then, he arranged the on-site interview for my second interview. I had 5 interviewers (some were designers and engineers). I had 1:1 interviews with 5 different people for every 30 minutes and generally asked me questions about what I did for my career and what I can do for the position. Third interview was with the team lead through the phone screening.