Tesla Motors Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.9

Undisclosed Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Fremont, CA).

Interview

From the onset of the interview it became very clear that the interviewers had zero interest in engaging with or evaluating my background, interests, value or current/emergent leadership capabilities. Out of the five individuals that I met with for 1-1 interviews, four displayed zero interest in meeting with me from the moment they walked into the room. Three seemed to have been caught off guard by being pulled into the interview room and displayed varying degrees of hostility presumably because they had to take time out of their busy day to meet with me. It was an unpleasant process and I regret wasting my limited and valuable vacation days to fly in for the experience.

This review is not negative because of the lack of an offer - I already mentally turned it down after the interview regardless of their decision. I've received far more job offers than rejections and I've had mostly positive experiences during all my interviews, and even referring individuals to companies were there wasn't a strong job or cultural fit. I can provide positive feedback regarding those other interviews even if an offer was not extended, because there was a level of mutual respect during the interview process.

Tesla receives a negative review because their interview process was unprofessional, disrespectful and in many ways hostile. I've read about how Elon Musk conducts his interviews - perhaps this permeates throughout the organization, giving lesser individuals a misplaced sense of authority and grandeur. I can only believe this is representative of the corporate culture.

This is not a rant on the innovative company, their products, or the mission of advancing electric mobility, all of which I still support and respect. It's just feedback on one particular interview experience. Good luck in your job search, hopefully if you interview with Tesla your experience will be far more engaging and respectful than what I observed.

Interview Questions

• - I haven't had a chance to read your resume yet - tell me about yourself?
      - Why do you want to work here?
      - Are you aware of the cost of living in the bay area? It can be tough especially for those raising a family.... (with long pause, suggesting the interviewer was trying to get around asking an inappropriate question).
      - Tell me two accomplishments you are most proud of.
      - What was your last performance review rating?

Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

Applied the company more than 20 times, not followed up for any of the positions applied for.

Received an Email from an HR in Tesla Motors for an 45 mins interview for a position never applied. I replied more than 5 times to schedule an interview. Received nothing in 3 weeks, after 3 weeks the HR replied to have an interview few days later, but never materialized again. Not hearing anything later.

One of more unprofessional interview process I experienced.

Production Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Fremont, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied and was contacted the same day for a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a face to face interview a few days later which started with an assessment test with screws, nuts, and washers, and ended with an interview with someone from HR. After the face to face interview, they asked me to come in for a final interview the next day, and I met with a few managers from different departments and was offered a position at tesla, finished the interview with inputting info onto a computer for a background check.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, you get what they offer you.

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

Started with a phone interview with HR, then in person interview with two Owner Advisors in store, followed by a phone interview with Regional Manager. Lots was accomplished in a short amount of time, went really quick and efficiently until background check (took a long time, 2ish weeks). Overall the interview was really nice, they wanted to see your passion for the company and electric vehicles, facts are easy to teach passion is not.

Interview Questions

• What you like about the company? Favorite aspect of the car? Wanted to see your passion.   2 Answers

Intern Interview

Interview

Phone Interview,30 minutes.Mainly about my past working experiences and why I am a fit for this positionPhone Interview,30 minutes.Mainly about my past working experiences and why I am a fit for this positionPhone Interview,30 minutes.Mainly about my past working experiences and why I am a fit for this position.

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

Phone Interview. On site interview. Skype Interview. Very casual process the interviews didn't try to intimidate they seemed genuinely concerned with whether I was a good fit or not. The recruiter sought me out and was extremely helpful and guided me through the entire process. Make sure you have follow up questions about the position when they ask I feel like this really helped me get the job. ENTHUSIASM IS SO IMPORTANT FOR THIS POSITION. Enthusiasm, passion and sales experience will help you.

Interview Questions

• Why Tesla? Tell me about your experience with your past job and how the culture was. What is your availability like? What could you contribute to Tesla as a Product Specialist? Didn't ask me any technical questions about the cars.   1 Answer

Product Specialist Interview

Interview

Gave my resume at a career fair. Heard back fairly quickly via email, and they wanted to set up a phone interview, in about a week's time. They called on time, asked a few, normal, behavioral questions, then said they would contact me later. I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you have excelled at communication, and how you could apply this to the job with tesla   Answer Question

Robotics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Reached out to by HR through LinkedIn. They set up and interview time and date. Didn't call. Never followed up. Not very professional. I would have at least appreciated an email as to why they jerked me around.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Cincinnati, OH) in May 2015.

Interview

I was called by an Owner Advisor to have an interview with the Store Manager. Told not to dress too formal so I wore khaki pants and a short sleeve, tucked button up with no tie. The interview took about 45 minutes and I talked to both the Manager and the OA. They asked fairly similar questions so they seemed a bit unprepared. We sat outside the gallery at a café table where people could hear me talk, which was a bit awkward.

Nine days later I was called to come in the next day and interview with the Regional Manager who happened to be in town. Was told to dress more formal this time, so I wore a long sleeve dress shirt with a tie. Same khaki pants. He seemed busy and didn't review my resumé so I just gave him a brief summary and he asked me a couple simple questions. Lasted about 20 minutes and we interviewed in the same place I did previously.

That day I received an email from an HR recruiting intern to set up a phone interview with a recruiter and fill out info for a backgroud check. Three days later she called and asked me the most simple of interview questions and said she was able to offer me a job. Took 20 minutes.

Everyone I spoke to was genuinely enjoyable to speak with, and I didn't feel as much pressure as I thought I might with the regional.

Interview Questions

• What made you choose Tesla?
      Can you a remember a situation where you went above and beyond for a customer?
      Are you familiar with the Product Specialist role? Do you know what you'll be doing?

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied by emailing my resume and CV after seeing a post on the Student Center Facebook page. About a week later, I got an email asking to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was short and made sure I was enthusiastic and excited about the company. The interviewer then forwarded my information to a store manager in Los Angeles. I emailed the next week after not hearing anything, but the position had been filled. Later that day, she emailed saying there was another opening at another location. An interview was then scheduled with that store manager. The manager was nice and polite. He knew everything there was to know about the car and company. But he was looking for someone else with more long term availability and sales experience.

Interview Questions

• Why Tesla?
      What's your availability?
      What are your long-term plans?
      Because I'm studying to be an engineer, the store manager asked about what kind of engine and battery the Model S has and how they worked.
      The manger also asked what I knew about Elon Musk and what else he did.