Tesla Motors

Updated Nov 25, 2014

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

If you want to work at Tesla; you need to be persistent. I have applied numerous times since graduating college in 2010. I interviewed 2 times prior to the 3rd, which finally resulted in an offer. Knowing someone who works there will help you get noticed by the hiring managers. Everyone is extremely busy, so don't take it personally if they say they are going to call you the next day and it ends up being the next week. It's nothing personal. People are just very very busy.

The interview/ hiring process:
    1.) Spoke with the recruiter and set up a phone interview with a senior Engineer.
    2.) Interview with senior Engineer. If you know what you are talking about then this should
         be enjoyable. They are getting a first glance at your personality and technical prowess, so be
         honest and don't try to embellish.
    3.) Spoke with recruiter and set up on-site interview a couple hours after the phone interview.
         The time between the phone interview and the on-site was less than a week.
    4.) On-site interview: This was a really cool experience for me. I interviewed with 2 Engineers and
         2 Managers. Again, it's not hard if you know what you are talking about. If you don't know the
         answer toa question; say so. Honestly is a good trait. Also, I'm really into EV, so I think I asked
         about 80% of the questions, which put my mind at ease and gave them a good idea of where I was
         at technically. Be totally transparent.
    5.) Contingent offer about a week later.
    6.) Essays for Elon: You need to write up 3 projects that you have done for Elon to review. Be honest
         and do not embellish. In retrospect this was a lot of fun.
    7.) Background check.
    8.) On boarding process.

The whole process was a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't the typical uncomfortable interview across a table. It was more of a conversation. Tesla isn't your typical vertical organization, and the mindset is similar to Google, so they want people who have the tech skills (tons of people), but personality plays a huge role.   Answer Question
    There are a lot of people who want to work at Tesla, so there will not be much room for negotiation. If you prove yourself and are a strong contributor; you will be rewarded. Tesla is a meritocracy. You reap what you sow.

Product Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

Applied through my schools career fair. Got an email a week later for an in-person interview at the store nearest to me. A week after that, got another email for a second round interview at the same store. Both interviews were panel interviews, 3 Tesla employees and 4 candidates all at a conference room table.

Interview Questions
    • What fires you up? What are you most passionate about?   Answer Question

Maintenance Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Tesla Motors in November 2014.

I was recommended by a job recruiter and went to a job hiring event where I was set up to be interviewed by Tesla Motors. I sat with a Technician Supervisor for the interview. He asked me alot of electronic questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Applied online through their website. Had phone screens asking me to explain my general interest/experience as well as an online coding test. They cared very much about syntax and wanted everything exactly correct. Did not hear from them again.

Interview Questions
    • Given an input string of 0 or more digits '2' - '9', list out all
         the possible strings from a typical phonepad digit-to-letter
         conversion (below), one per line

9: WXYZ
        View Answer
    • Implement atoi   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

Not the standard "HR" 3rd degree, canned interview. It was a reflection of Tesla - innovative. It was relaxed. The interview was done off-site and not at a Tesla location. Which actually made it a neutral setting and comfortable for everyone.

Interview Questions
    • Personally, it wasn't difficult or any booby trap surprise questions. But then again....I was prepared. The conversation was a two way street.   Answer Question

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in November 2014.

Taking advantage of my free month of LinkedIn premium, I sent an InMail to a recruiter working at Tesla, who returned my contact a day or two later. He enthusiastically outlined all the different firmware groups and what they do, and the typical hiring process.

We kicked it off by setting a time/date for an e-mail firmware exercise. They were very basic questions, and I had to send a reply with my solutions attached within 30 minutes. My resume and my firmware answers caught the interest of one manager, and so the recruiter set up a phone interview with him a few days down the road.

The manager called at the appointed time and we discussed the work I did in my current company. The interview took about 45 minutes, followed by a live coding session over a collaborative browser-based text pad web-app. As luck would have it, we experienced technical issues a few minutes in, and I was allowed do send in a text file much like the firmware exercise! Being the honest guy that I am, I quickly completed it and sent it to the recruiter.

The impression from the first interview was quite positive, granting me a second one set a few days later, this time with a senior engineer. We discussed in greater detail about my current employment, as well as projects I had done in school. The recruiter followed up the next day with good news of an almost-all-expenses paid trip to Palo Alto.

The on-site interview consisted of a presentation I had to deliver, followed by a series of one-on-ones with 5 engineers/managers, one of which was a chat over lunch. I gave myself a week to prepare the presentation and to brush up on my software engineering skillset. I don't present a lot, so when I queried the audience about time, I was over the allotted duration by 2 minutes, and I wasn't even done yet! Let me just say.. it's a good sign if they allow you to continue and finish. Every one-on-one session had a whiteboard coding component, ranging from writing functions to finding errors in a snippet of code. Difficulty was relatively easy, there were a couple that gave me trouble, though applicants who haven't done more embedded-related type or work will have a harder time.

I left the office feeling pretty good, though I spent the next week dwelling on things said and left unsaid. Though through the whole process the recruiter was very polite and professional, definitely unlike the entries I read here from 1 or 2 years ago. He followed up a week after the on-site interview as promised.

Senior Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

I applied online and then got contacted by email about 3 weeks after. I got an initial interview by an HR person and then another interview by phone by the hiring manager. After talking with him on the phone he asked me to go for an on site interview. The interview happened about 3 weeks after our phone interview. I was asked to do a technical presentation and then I interview with each member of the team for about 30 to 45 mins.

Interview Questions
    • One of the questions that every interviewer asks is why do you want to work at Tesla.   View Answer

Electrical Engineering Interview

First HR will call you. This is to just get basic information like dates you want to work, your major, why Telsa. Next I had phone interviews with members of one manager's group. First interview I was asked questions about high power electronics, given some trick questions a circuit with a motor in it. Next interview was more about my resume. I did not get to interview with the manager of the group.

Interview Questions
    • What are your skills, do you have high power electronics experiences. Considering the motor as part of the circuit to which you can place in/out phase.   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

I received a call from someone in the HR department, the interview lasted for about 45 minutes. She asked me many questions about my past job experiences. She asked me to describe to her the most difficult situation that I faced at work and how I managed it and to describe her my main activities in past jobs. She also asked me what did I know about the company and why did I want to work for Tesla.

Product Specialist Interview

I was recruited through linkedin and told that I have the sales experience that would work well with Tesla. I then set up an in-person interview with my store manager which went well and that was followed immediately by an over the phone interview with my regional and national sales manager. Everyone in the company is very relaxed, chill, and super-friendly. You blend right in without even noticing.

Interview Questions
    • Give us a time you've overcame adversity and how would you used that same tactic selling an electric vehicle?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. It's a fixed salary.