Tesla Motors Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.9

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

I applied online through our campus job board. She followed up 2 days later. She scheduled a phone interview the following week. She was 5 minutes late to our phone call. During our phone screening, she asked about my previous experiences, responsibilities and projects. After speaking about it, she said I was too technical for the HR internship. She said that I'm not what their looking for.

Supply Chain Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

Phone interview with HR Recruiter, then with Hiring Manager. Brought out for 5 separate interviews onsite, and then heard back from recruiter within 1 week for official offer letter. Overall experience was good.

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

First they call you for a phone interview. And then you meet up with the hiring manager at their location face-to-face for a second interview. After that you'll have to have a third interview (yes the process is long) with the vice president.

Interview Questions

• Why Tesla? What do you know about Tesla Motors? What did you do at your previous job?   1 Answer

Undisclosed Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Fremont, CA).

Interview

From the onset of the interview it became very clear that the interviewers had zero interest in engaging with or evaluating my background, interests, value or current/emergent leadership capabilities. Out of the five individuals that I met with for 1-1 interviews, four displayed zero interest in meeting with me from the moment they walked into the room. Three seemed to have been caught off guard by being pulled into the interview room and displayed varying degrees of hostility presumably because they had to take time out of their busy day to meet with me. It was an unpleasant process and I regret wasting my limited and valuable vacation days to fly in for the experience. This review is not negative because of the lack of an offer - I already mentally turned it down after the interview regardless of their decision. I've received far more job offers than rejections and I've had mostly positive experiences during all my interviews, and even referring individuals to companies were there wasn't a strong job or cultural fit. I can provide positive feedback regarding those other interviews even if an offer was not extended, because there was a level of mutual respect during the interview process. Tesla receives a negative review because their interview process was unprofessional, disrespectful and in many ways hostile. I've read about how Elon Musk conducts his interviews - perhaps this permeates throughout the organization, giving lesser individuals a misplaced sense of authority and grandeur. I can only believe this is representative of the corporate culture. This is not a rant on the innovative company, their products, or the mission of advancing electric mobility, all of which I still support and respect. It's just feedback on one particular interview experience. Good luck in your job search, hopefully if you interview with Tesla your experience will be far more engaging and respectful than what I observed.

Interview Questions

• - I haven't had a chance to read your resume yet - tell me about yourself? - Why do you want to work here? - Are you aware of the cost of living in the bay area? It can be tough especially for those raising a family.... (with long pause, suggesting the interviewer was trying to get around asking an inappropriate question). - Tell me two accomplishments you are most proud of. - What was your last performance review rating?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

Interviewed by HR personnel and then engineering manager exchanged e_mail with the HR person for a few times and set up a phone interview with engineering manager. The interview was quite detailed regarding your background, your goal, and some technical questions. It was not easy to do it on the phone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Paramus, NJ) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online. First I received an email which set up a phone call the next day. Then a day or two later an in-store interview with multiple employees. Then a day or two later, phone interview with regional manager. Then they'd let you know if they were offering you the job. Once background check is ok, your hired.

Owner Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tesla Motors in July 2015.

Interview

Exciting! Met with a lot of great face of Tesla through the process. Met in the showroom, at a conference table in the back with the store manager. Also met with an OA. Super friendly!

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable on the sales floor in a retail environment? Sales experience   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

Applied the company more than 20 times, not followed up for any of the positions applied for. Received an Email from an HR in Tesla Motors for an 45 mins interview for a position never applied. I replied more than 5 times to schedule an interview. Received nothing in 3 weeks, after 3 weeks the HR replied to have an interview few days later, but never materialized again. Not hearing anything later. One of more unprofessional interview process I experienced.

Production Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Fremont, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied and was contacted the same day for a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a face to face interview a few days later which started with an assessment test with screws, nuts, and washers, and ended with an interview with someone from HR. After the face to face interview, they asked me to come in for a final interview the next day, and I met with a few managers from different departments and was offered a position at tesla, finished the interview with inputting info onto a computer for a background check.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, you get what they offer you.

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

Started with a phone interview with HR, then in person interview with two Owner Advisors in store, followed by a phone interview with Regional Manager. Lots was accomplished in a short amount of time, went really quick and efficiently until background check (took a long time, 2ish weeks). Overall the interview was really nice, they wanted to see your passion for the company and electric vehicles, facts are easy to teach passion is not.

Interview Questions

• What you like about the company? Favorite aspect of the car? Wanted to see your passion.   3 Answers