Tesla Motors Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

Phone Interview. On site interview. Skype Interview. Very casual process the interviews didn't try to intimidate they seemed genuinely concerned with whether I was a good fit or not. The recruiter sought me out and was extremely helpful and guided me through the entire process. Make sure you have follow up questions about the position when they ask I feel like this really helped me get the job. ENTHUSIASM IS SO IMPORTANT FOR THIS POSITION. Enthusiasm, passion and sales experience will help you.

Interview Questions

• Why Tesla? Tell me about your experience with your past job and how the culture was. What is your availability like? What could you contribute to Tesla as a Product Specialist? Didn't ask me any technical questions about the cars.   1 Answer

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

The process started with me getting a call through employee referral. They called me four times to go through all of the telephonic screens. Once the screens were complete hey had me come on site to meet with the people there, make a presentation and go through four more interviews. I had fun going through the process as people were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Do you require sponsorship for visa?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

Two phone interviews--one with HR and another with an engineer from the team I would be joining.
    One in-person interview with a senior engineer from the team. The interview with HR asked questions like "tell me about yourself" and "why do you want to work for Tesla" along with questions about my resume. The engineer interviews focused on my industry related experience.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university's internal listserve for job openings by submitting my resume, then I was invited to an on-site interview. Individually met with multiple managers within the department I was interested in.

Interview Questions

• What was your favorite/ least favorite part about this position/project? Why? And how did you go about it? (for the least favorite part)   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Woodland Hills, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online and was notified that they would like to schedule a phone interview with me.

1st Round - Phone Interview with recruiter, general questions about me, strengths, why I want to work for Tesla

2nd Round - In-store with store manager, asking same variety questions. They are looking for a good fit with the culture and family atmosphere of the store and company.

3rdish Round - Was also interviewed on the same day by the RSM, asked the basics again, had much less feedback from them.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Tesla?
      Tell me a time that you were challenged?
      What is your experience with retail?
      Why Tesla?

1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

I was contacted by a university hiring representative for a battery chemistry internship, but she failed to contact me during the scheduled time for our phone. Two days later, she emailed me and we were able to reschedule for a later date, and I went through to a second phone interview with a member of the battery team. I was prepared to discuss the technical details of prior internships and chemistry in general. However, the interviewer had a very thick accent and we had a lot of difficulty communicating.

Interview Questions

• General background questions in first interview followed by advanced technical information in the second interview.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Tesla Motors in March 2015.

Interview

It was the first interview, with the hr guy. Mainly about me, inquired about my previous work expirence, and what I would be interested in working on at Tesla, then sent my resume to that department for their OK. Very fast phone interview, keep your answers concise, they're busy people.

Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Fremont, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Short 20-30 minute interviews with 5-6 hiring managers. Most of the questions were about my background and knowledge. Some questions about PLC programming and troubleshooting circuits. They probed a lot on why I wanted to work for the company. They expect people to be excited about their technology and have some knowledge on what the company actually does. If you don't know something be honest. This felt more like a "will you be a good fit" then are you actually qualified. I feel like they would train the right person.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and had two phone interviews, one with HR which was rather easy. We went over my entire resume, detailing each position and my responsibilities. After that, I had another phone interview with the department head. The questions were rather average, simply described my experience and went over my resume (mainly discussed my past experience, not just my recent experience). There were no trick questions, just describe your experience, what was your biggest challenge there, etc.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging aspect of your position?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

I only got the behavioral interview with a recruiter. I am certain I did very well on it, but as I figured later, they found someone with more experience than me. During the interview recruiter sounded very excited and pleased about my answers. I followed up with him one week after the interview and he told me that hiring manager decided not to go forward.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral questions like: Why do you want to work for Tesla? Describe your biggest success and so on. Nothing tricky if you prepared for it.   Answer Question