Tesla Motors

129 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineering Technician II Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in January 2014.

Interview Details – Very professional and efficient hiring process

Interview Question – Technical questions regarding sample selections and logic behind test methods   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, terms were presented before I interviewed and I was asked to accept.

Product Excellence Engineer Interview

Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Tesla Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details – So far I've had a telephone interview. I reckon the fact a Tesla Motors employee gave my resume to a recruiter had a lot to do with getting the interview, although I also applied on their website. The website was a bit quirky, and I had to submit my application twice to feel like it actually got through.

Interview Question – We work long hours and weekends at Tesla. You're probably used to a more 9 to 5 type job. How do you feel about the expectation of working long hours?   View Answer

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details – I had three telephone interviews. First one with HR, second and third with engineering managers. After the initial screening process I was asked to come to Palo Alto for a full day interview. The interview process was quite rigorous with individual interviews and one final group interview. Lost's of questions on exactly what I was doing in my previous job and why I have to offer Tesla. I was asked why Tesla ? how can I do my job differential at Tesla.

Interview Question – We have seen a lot of people like you what makes you different.   View Answer

Supplier Quality Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details – The process was decent. Three telephonic interviews. First one was with HR- 40 minutes, basic screening (make sure you know your resume properly). Second one was with the manager of supplier quality team, technical questions lasted for 20 minutes. In the third interview, which was with the team supervisor, I was told that I would be offered with a job at Tesla!

Interview Question – All questions were fairly straight forward   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview Details – The first interview was an interview with the store manager. The second interview consisted of a series of interviews with 3-5 sales team managers. The third interview, which technically is the fifth/sixth interview, was a skype interview with the regional director. I'm still waiting to hear a response to whether I've gotten the job or not. It's been over three weeks.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty standard. No unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Services Interview

Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Tesla Motors in February 2014.

Interview Details – Like the review before me..long process and disrespectful recruiters. I submitted my resume 4 months ago through an internal recruiter. It was passed off to another recruiter who was terrible at communication. She would NOT return calls nor emails. Really good impression of the company...and they preach "Customer Service" (note to recruiters - communication with people is paramount..even if its responding to a request for information is paramount). Was brought in 4 months later for an interview..the 3 I interviewed with were great. Had to wait for 3 weeks and got another interview with 3 more people...manager was aloof and showed up late and spent more time on his laptop than paying attention. The other 2 were more telling me about the department than asking me questions or actually vetting for the position.

Was a little comical in the "Thanks but no thanks" email from the recruiter... was a canned email saying he hoped I was respected and taken care of within the process...Ummm..NO YOU did NOT communicate nor treat me with respect. All in all...I think it's better I did not get this job as if this is what the company is like...I don't think I would have been happy there..unlike Tesla...I care about customers and want to make sure everyone is respected. Company +5....HR person -4 . Treat people with respect..like humans. YOU are NOT the only game in town and you NEED to understand that.

Interview Question – Why Tesla?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in March 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted by the HR. Initially had 3 interviews over the phone, 1st by HR, 2nd by an Engineer and 3rd by the head of the group. Was called for an onsite interview and was asked to prepare a presentation.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Berkeley, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview Details – Seriously, one of the worst experiences of my professional life. The recruiters are disrespectful and dismissive, and simply cannot follow through on plans. I have been in communication with a recruiter for months, and she will say thing such as "I will contact you in 3 days" and then never will contact me again. When I finally got an interview scheduled (through another recruiter), he never called me at the set time. After not receiving any email or phone call explaining why I emailed him back. He said something had come up, and rescheduled the interview for the next day. And then proceeded to not call me again, and again did not provide any explanation or apology. It's simply disrespectful of my time, and I do not wish to work at a company that teaches their employees that their time is so much more valuable than others that they do not have to have common courtesy or follow through on commitments.

Tesla, remember that your recruiters are the first time your future employees get to see your companies culture. If I were you, I would be rather embarrassed about your recruiting teams, and understand that without your incredible reputation as a technological innovator (which may soon fade) your company would not be able to recruit talent.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Fremont, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn in December wanting an updated resume. After not hearing for a few months, I sent a couple emails to the recruiter to follow up. She contacted me about this opportunity in March and requested a phone interview. Immediately after the phone interview I was told they wanted to fly me out. A couple weeks later, I interviewed on site in Fremont. I had to give a 20-25 minute presentation about a project I had worked on and "was passionate about". Following the presentation I had about five 30-minute interviews with various members of the team, the team leader, and the division manager. Overall, it was a wonderful experience. I received an offer within the week.

Interview Question – What was the least successful project you worked on and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview Details – It was pretty striaght.All about your resume was asked. Nothing more than that. You have to explain each and every past internship you did. The hiring manager is pretty cool and the interview is quite informal. The hiring manager makes you feel very comfortable. This is a very good company to work at.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Tesla Motors

Worked for Tesla Motors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tesla Motors interview questions and advice. All 129 interview reviews posted anonymously by Tesla Motors employees and interview candidates.