Tesla Motors Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014
Updated Oct 22, 2014

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

If you want to work at Tesla; you need to be persistent. I have applied numerous times since graduating college in 2010. I interviewed 2 times prior to the 3rd, which finally resulted in an offer. Knowing someone who works there will help you get noticed by the hiring managers. Everyone is extremely busy, so don't take it personally if they say they are going to call you the next day and it ends up being the next week. It's nothing personal. People are just very very busy.

The interview/ hiring process:
    1.) Spoke with the recruiter and set up a phone interview with a senior Engineer.
    2.) Interview with senior Engineer. If you know what you are talking about then this should
         be enjoyable. They are getting a first glance at your personality and technical prowess, so be
         honest and don't try to embellish.
    3.) Spoke with recruiter and set up on-site interview a couple hours after the phone interview.
         The time between the phone interview and the on-site was less than a week.
    4.) On-site interview: This was a really cool experience for me. I interviewed with 2 Engineers and
         2 Managers. Again, it's not hard if you know what you are talking about. If you don't know the
         answer toa question; say so. Honestly is a good trait. Also, I'm really into EV, so I think I asked
         about 80% of the questions, which put my mind at ease and gave them a good idea of where I was
         at technically. Be totally transparent.
    5.) Contingent offer about a week later.
    6.) Essays for Elon: You need to write up 3 projects that you have done for Elon to review. Be honest
         and do not embellish. In retrospect this was a lot of fun.
    7.) Background check.
    8.) On boarding process.

The whole process was a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't the typical uncomfortable interview across a table. It was more of a conversation. Tesla isn't your typical vertical organization, and the mindset is similar to Google, so they want people who have the tech skills (tons of people), but personality plays a huge role.   Answer Question
    There are a lot of people who want to work at Tesla, so there will not be much room for negotiation. If you prove yourself and are a strong contributor; you will be rewarded. Tesla is a meritocracy. You reap what you sow.

Senior Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

I applied online and then got contacted by email about 3 weeks after. I got an initial interview by an HR person and then another interview by phone by the hiring manager. After talking with him on the phone he asked me to go for an on site interview. The interview happened about 3 weeks after our phone interview. I was asked to do a technical presentation and then I interview with each member of the team for about 30 to 45 mins.

Interview Questions
    • One of the questions that every interviewer asks is why do you want to work at Tesla.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Interview

First HR will call you. This is to just get basic information like dates you want to work, your major, why Telsa. Next I had phone interviews with members of one manager's group. First interview I was asked questions about high power electronics, given some trick questions a circuit with a motor in it. Next interview was more about my resume. I did not get to interview with the manager of the group.

Interview Questions
    • What are your skills, do you have high power electronics experiences. Considering the motor as part of the circuit to which you can place in/out phase.   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

I received a call from someone in the HR department, the interview lasted for about 45 minutes. She asked me many questions about my past job experiences. She asked me to describe to her the most difficult situation that I faced at work and how I managed it and to describe her my main activities in past jobs. She also asked me what did I know about the company and why did I want to work for Tesla.

Product Specialist Interview

I was recruited through linkedin and told that I have the sales experience that would work well with Tesla. I then set up an in-person interview with my store manager which went well and that was followed immediately by an over the phone interview with my regional and national sales manager. Everyone in the company is very relaxed, chill, and super-friendly. You blend right in without even noticing.

Interview Questions
    • Give us a time you've overcame adversity and how would you used that same tactic selling an electric vehicle?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. It's a fixed salary.

SERVICE ADVISOR Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

Applied online. Got a call about 2 weeks later, phone screen had just some very basic resume questions and took about 10 minutes. On-site interview was with local service manager and another service advisor. Questions were mostly about my work experience, and nothing technical. I was frustrated with my current work environment, and I was offered a job and accepted on the spot. however, the pay was significantly less than what I was making at the time and there was absolutely no negotiation. I was literally told "take it or leave it". Everyone I talked to was very courteous and professional, but they had very poor follow up. I had to e-mail 4 times in a 3 week period to actually get a new hire packet sent out after I signed a preliminary job acceptance letter.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. It was mostly just chit-chat with the local manager and recruiter.   Answer Question
    No salary negotiation.

Business Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

In person meeting, phone interview, panel interviews. Process was vague, recruiters are absent from guiding you through the process. During the interview with the hiring manager, half way through the interview he realized he was interviewing me for the wrong position. (Red Flag) During the panel interviews (last round) they too thought they were interviewing me for a completely different position. The car is beautiful, but this is what is underneath the 'frunk' hard to want to work for a clearly absent minded organization.

Interview Questions

Managers make or break your experience. It was clear that the management is dysfunctional.

Production Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Tesla Motors in September 2014.

I was called by a recruiter who had my resume on hand for experience and salary requirements. We agreed upon a time for an interview and he sent me an email confirmation. When I arrived at the location at the right time, I was surprised to learn that I was entering a "cattle call" process and sat with over a dozen people to sign in and get name tags. Every individual person that I spoke with was there for a different position. It felt more like the entrance to boot camp than a job interview. After completing stage one of the basic skills tests I was finally able to ask an individual about the actual salary ranges for the position which I was called in for. Upon learning that I was competing for a nightmare commute into Fremont for $11/hr less than I am currently making, I politely thanked the person for their time and I excused myself. I have tried to contact the recruiter who contacted me for the position, but he has not returned any emails nor is his phone number listed in his contact information. Very disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in a career with Tesla Motors?   View Answer

Senior Information Security Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in September 2014.

I applied online and had a phone screen with a recruiter roughly two weeks later. After the end of the phone screen I was informed that I would be brought on-site for an interview with two people, the hiring manager and director.

The in-person interview lasted about an hour and was not overly technical. The hiring manager admitted to having not even looked at my resume prior to the interview but it went well with both the director and hiring manager. I followed up with the recruiter a couple days after and was told that I had received extremely positive feedback and that I would be moving on for final approval by the CIO and CEO. I was asked to write three "Exceptional Points" about myself that were no more than 3 sentences each, which would be use to help tell my story.

I again received extremely positive feedback from the recruiter about these points, noting that I was a standout candidate and that they definitely needed to get me on the team. I was told that the approval process will take some time and that 3 weeks isn't out of the norm but was encouraged to follow up for updates.

One week after submitting my 3 points, I followed up with the recruiter and received no response. One week after that, I received a phone call from the recruiter informing that my application had not been approved but without a clear reason why -- allusions were made to my years of experience, which is strange given my resume and application clearly document those up front. Why run through the process at all if they want someone with more or less years of experience? It's also a bit disconcerting that the hiring manager (and their superior) lack the authority to actually hire, which in general made for an unfavorable experience given extremely positive feedback from the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were difficult or unexpected, the interview process was easy overall. The most technical question was if I could analyze PCAP (not any specifics of how, what I'd do, etc., just a yes/no question).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Tesla Motors in September 2014.

fill out online application and they will get back with you. send resume too the location and ask for the Manager on staff gets you a foot in the door so when you are interviewing with Corporate you can have a go too person.