Tesla Motors Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

I was contacted by a university hiring representative for a battery chemistry internship, but she failed to contact me during the scheduled time for our phone. Two days later, she emailed me and we were able to reschedule for a later date, and I went through to a second phone interview with a member of the battery team. I was prepared to discuss the technical details of prior internships and chemistry in general. However, the interviewer had a very thick accent and we had a lot of difficulty communicating.

Interview Questions
    • General background questions in first interview followed by advanced technical information in the second interview.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Tesla Motors in March 2015.

It was the first interview, with the hr guy. Mainly about me, inquired about my previous work expirence, and what I would be interested in working on at Tesla, then sent my resume to that department for their OK. Very fast phone interview, keep your answers concise, they're busy people.

Senior Research Scientist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

I only got the behavioral interview with a recruiter. I am certain I did very well on it, but as I figured later, they found someone with more experience than me. During the interview recruiter sounded very excited and pleased about my answers. I followed up with him one week after the interview and he told me that hiring manager decided not to go forward.

Interview Questions
    • Standard behavioral questions like: Why do you want to work for Tesla? Describe your biggest success and so on. Nothing tricky if you prepared for it.   Answer Question

Senior Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tesla Motors in February 2015.

30 minutes presentation to outline one technical issue addressed well by presenter in the past.
    4 hours non-stop interview with 8 hiring managers in different levels from lead to engineering director.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you?
      what was the day you felt the best during your previous experiences?
      Why do you want to work for our department?
      what are your three main strength?
      Is there anything you did not say during your presentation and want to share?
      what do you want to be in next five years?

Answer Question
    Negotiation is always necessary.

Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in February 2015.

The interview process wasn't that bad, it was the afterward waiting that took way more time than they said it should. For such a giant company coming into play, the questions that they asked were very "childish" and un important. They told me by the Friday after (one week after the interview process) the position would be filled as this is ASAP position would be ready to go. Tesla Motors HR Rep never responded to my phone calls, emails, the hiring manager never had the pride to contact me back and wrote a simple email of we are still carefully reviewing. Tesla seemed to push off on the process of where they were and should have admitted that I was not a candidate they were seeking for and I wouldn't have denied certain positions as the hiring manager made it seem as if I was moving forward in the interview process.

Thanks Tesla for a sadly first impression.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about yourself and what you do.   View Answer

Sales Operations Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in February 2015.

An employee referred me and gave my resume to the recruiting team. I then received an email that I would have a phone interview with a university recruiter. About a week later, I heard back and was told I would have an interview with 2 Inside Sales managers. They were in the same office, so I was on speaker phone.

Firmware Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in February 2015.

The HR contacted me for 30 mins to go through my background, then scheduled a coding test the next day. I finished that 7 questions about C which I have fully prepared and know that exact answers, then sent it back. No relay until the SECOND time I followed up, saying feedback is positive but decide to move to another candidate.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Tesla Motors in February 2015.

I received the interview email just one day before the interview day, It was a very quick interview takes just 15 minutes, very fair questions just like other interviews, some questions can be found online and I asked them one question what job applicant will get the attention of recruiter, he answered that good education background, high gpa, and good communication skills. And also they try to make you know that life working in TESLA is very fast, I think I got a good experience in this interview.

Controls Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

I was contacted via LinkedIn by a 3rd party (they did not work for Tesla) recruiter who inquired if I would be interested in a controls engineer position with Tesla Motors. I replied within the same day with my resume as requested and scheduled a brief phone interview the next day. The phone interview was somewhat challenging as I had to escape from a hectic work schedule momentarily with little time to review. The questions were mainly regarding my previous experience. One of the questions involved describing a challenging problem at a previous employer and covering all aspects of how I solved it. I was asked what my current salary was and was told that they needed this information so they could determine if "they could afford me". Recruiter was professional in all communications. After the phone interview, I was given a name of a recruiter who would potentially call me within a few days. I also promptly received a follow up email with a job description and links for Tesla including YouTube videos for what I could assume was for the purpose of company branding. Some of the videos had been removed due to TOS (I believe one was a Discovery Channel Giga Factory video). Otherwise, I immersed myself in Tesla for the following days. 12 days later in the morning I got a somewhat unexpected call from Tesla's recruiter, as no specific time was set. The recruiter's questions were somewhat basic: why would you want to work for Tesla, what do you know about Tesla , etc. (I made the mistake of calling the "Store" a dealership..oops). Recruiter was friendly and upbeat and discussed a further interview with a supervisor in the controls engineering department. I promptly received a follow up email with the same job description and Tesla branding links. We scheduled the second phone interview with the supervisor for later that day. I received a call at the scheduled time and asked questions / discussed the position and answered several questions regarding my previous experience for 15-20 minutes. The interviewer was professional and pleasant to speak with. The call ended with the interviewer stating the he would talk to another engineering supervisor to see "if they had any open positions for me". I looked forward to hearing back but heard nothing for 10-12 days after which I followed up with Tesla's recruiter via email but I received no response. One week after that, I followed up with the 3rd party recruiter who promptly replied that they would follow up with Tesla. I received no response after that. Reading other interview reviews, I assume this is the end of the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions, everything was pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Engineering Technician I Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Initially I had two separate phone interviews discussing my background and experience. After I "passed" the phone interviews they invited me to there campus for a full day of interviews. I had four one on one interviews lasting from 9 AM to 3 PM. Each interviewer was a different person on the team that I would be working with if I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • A few circuit questions were asked dealing with low pass filters.   View Answer
    • I was asked to solve one algebraic problem dealing with fluid flow rates and pressures.   View Answer

Accepted another offer