Tesla Motors

148 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Manufacturing Co-op Interview

Manufacturing Co-op

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied Online. Recruiter emailed me to see if I was still interested & to set up a phone screen. It appeared that the way you describe yourself, they will determine what department you would be best suited for. Then, had a 1:1 phone call with technical manager.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Tesla?
What got you to this point in your schooling?
What do you want to get out of this co-op?
Describe a time in one of your last projects when you solved a problem, and how did you go about it?
Manager gave a hypothetical situation and asked how I would go about addressing/solving the problem.
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Product Excellence Powertrain Engineering Technician Interview

Product Excellence Powertrain Engineering Technician
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Tesla Motors in August 2012.

Interview Details – The first interview was the most difficult and stressful one I have ever been to. They threw everything they got at me. I feel like throwing up afterwards. I know I could have done better. Nonetheless, I passed... And now today I'm onto my second one with a senior engineer of quality processing and this one is supposed to be more difficult than the first.

Interview Question – Why quality?   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

Product Specialist
Newport Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Tesla Motors in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the Product Specialist Position at Newport Beach. Though experience isn't required for the position, it is heavily preferred. Anyone that has experience in retail sales, and/or cars has a shot. Most likely going to be a phone interview with a member of human resources department since their headquarters is in Norcal.

Interview Question – Most difficult question was about cars. HR interviewer asked me to sell the Tesla Model S to her over the phone and I had to explain why the Tesla was better than its competitors, Audi A7, MB CLS/S , Lexus LS, and etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much of a negotiation. Starting pay was about 12 and you work your way up

Autopilot Driving Team Interview

Autopilot Driving Team
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in May 2014.

Interview Details – Got an email from the HR person saying they liked my work and are interested in talking . She set up an initial exploratory HR phone interview - which went well . Just asking you questions from your resume directly.HR people cant really probe you with technical questions and she tried to ask me a few questions that even she didn't fully comprehend.I was told that there would be two technical rounds after she would forward my profile to the driver assistance and vehicle automation team.Two weeks went by with no feedback.After pursuing the matter through email a technical phone interview was set up with the person incharge of my team.
 I spent a lot of time preparing for the interview - he did not ask me any technical questions - just more resume probing and asking about projects I had done in the past.He sounded like he was in a hurry and said he was getting into a meeting .He then asked me if I had any questions - I had actually prepared 3-4 questions to ask him (Employee development at Tesla - Background of the people on his team - Do the people on his team work individually or collaborate on projects .He sounded unsure in his answers and I wasn't satisfied with the responses I got from him). He spoke to me for exactly 17 minutes and said he was getting into a meeting and had to cut the call short.
Got a mail from the HR person the next day saying that I didnt cut it.

Interview Question – None - I dont feel any of the conversations had any actual questions .   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

Product Specialist
Brea, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview Details – Phone interview and then in person interview. I did not take it seriously as Tesla contacted me after I had already gotten a job at another company that I was very content with. Figured I would do the interview process anyways to see where it goes. Perks/pay of product specialist were definitely nill to none.

Interview Question – what do you know about tesla?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Inside Sales
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview Details – The overall process was nice, but it was a lenghtly process wich lasted several month. So be prepared to spend some time with several conversations as I had about 7-8 in total. So Patience is the biggest character feature you will need.

Interview Question – With still to some extend limited knowledge about the company to hold an entire sales pitch for the product.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It took ages

CAE Engineer Interview

CAE Engineer
Fremont, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Tesla Motors in April 2014.

Interview Details – Pre-screened on phone by company's recruiter. Two phone interviews. Full day on-site interview with 7 different groups of people. All the people I met and talked with were sharp and asked great questions. The process was lengthy but thorough. One downside was that they did not leave much time for me to ask my questions. Typically I was asking them my question(s) as they were walking out the door to let the next group of interviewers in. So I was getting one or two word answers. Great people and very passionate about the company and the product. The office space is completely packed wall-to-wall and people working elbow-to-elbow, and the parking lot was almost overflowing. I'm glad I showed up early so I could make the long walk from the far outer edge of the lot to the front entry. It was obvious the company is growing like crazy.

Interview Question – Nearly all questions were technical and of the sort: "given problem "X" how would you solve it, or what would you do?" There were no "gotcha" or behavioral questions. Almost every interview group asked me "Why do you want to work here?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was $10k below what I currently make. The cost of living increase for me to relocate to CA was +$15K. It was made clear that the hours would be long and there would be lots of high pressure. There was no way to sell that to my wife and kids (less of me, less money - major cutbacks, and a completely new place without our friends and family). If I was single and without kids I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat.

Senior Maintenance Engineer Interview

Senior Maintenance Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview Details – First had a phone interview. Then an on-site "shot-gun" interview with 6 engineer managers. 30 minutes - 1hour for each person. Managers were texting during the interview so it was hard to know if they were listening. Lots of brain- teasers. And expected to earn respect at Tesla you do not deserve respect i guess.

Interview Question – Is 3,599 a prime number? Yes or No. Explain.   View Answers (5)

Reliability Simulation Engineer Interview

Reliability Simulation Engineer
Fremont, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in April 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume through HR. HR called me to know my background. Three phone interviews - one with the hiring manager, one with staff engineer and one more with another senior engineer. Got called for onsite interview. Three hour long interview consisting of five 30 minutes 1:1 interviews with the team followed by a factory visit.

Interview Question – Mostly detailed questions on resume, reliability models, simulation experience of electronic packages under accelerated loading conditions, and basic statistics questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Base pay was very less for a PhD. Not negotiable.

QA Engineer Interview

QA Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview Details – Phone interview, then a coding exam. I did the coding exam perfectly correct, but then the recruiter came out with an excuse that I failed, because the format of my answers was not the way she wanted.

Interview Question – Actually questions were not too bad, the recruiters are very unfreidnly   View Answer

Worked for Tesla Motors? Contribute to the Community!