Tesla Motors

Tesla Motors Interview Questions

Updated Mar 3, 2015
Updated Mar 3, 2015

Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

I was contacted by a university hiring representative for a battery chemistry internship, but she failed to contact me during the scheduled time for our phone. Two days later, she emailed me and we were able to reschedule for a later date, and I went through to a second phone interview with a member of the battery team. I was prepared to discuss the technical details of prior internships and chemistry in general. However, the interviewer had a very thick accent and we had a lot of difficulty communicating.

Interview Questions
    • General background questions in first interview followed by advanced technical information in the second interview.   Answer Question

Senior Research Scientist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

I only got the behavioral interview with a recruiter. I am certain I did very well on it, but as I figured later, they found someone with more experience than me. During the interview recruiter sounded very excited and pleased about my answers. I followed up with him one week after the interview and he told me that hiring manager decided not to go forward.

Interview Questions
    • Standard behavioral questions like: Why do you want to work for Tesla? Describe your biggest success and so on. Nothing tricky if you prepared for it.   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in February 2015.

The interview process wasn't that bad, it was the afterward waiting that took way more time than they said it should. For such a giant company coming into play, the questions that they asked were very "childish" and un important. They told me by the Friday after (one week after the interview process) the position would be filled as this is ASAP position would be ready to go. Tesla Motors HR Rep never responded to my phone calls, emails, the hiring manager never had the pride to contact me back and wrote a simple email of we are still carefully reviewing. Tesla seemed to push off on the process of where they were and should have admitted that I was not a candidate they were seeking for and I wouldn't have denied certain positions as the hiring manager made it seem as if I was moving forward in the interview process.

Thanks Tesla for a sadly first impression.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about yourself and what you do.   View Answer

Firmware Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in February 2015.

The HR contacted me for 30 mins to go through my background, then scheduled a coding test the next day. I finished that 7 questions about C which I have fully prepared and know that exact answers, then sent it back. No relay until the SECOND time I followed up, saying feedback is positive but decide to move to another candidate.

Senior Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tesla Motors in February 2015.

30 minutes presentation to outline one technical issue addressed well by presenter in the past.
    4 hours non-stop interview with 8 hiring managers in different levels from lead to engineering director.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you?
      what was the day you felt the best during your previous experiences?
      Why do you want to work for our department?
      what are your three main strength?
      Is there anything you did not say during your presentation and want to share?
      what do you want to be in next five years?

Answer Question
    Negotiation is always necessary.

Sales Operations Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in February 2015.

An employee referred me and gave my resume to the recruiting team. I then received an email that I would have a phone interview with a university recruiter. About a week later, I heard back and was told I would have an interview with 2 Inside Sales managers. They were in the same office, so I was on speaker phone.

Controls Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

I was contacted via LinkedIn by a 3rd party (they did not work for Tesla) recruiter who inquired if I would be interested in a controls engineer position with Tesla Motors. I replied within the same day with my resume as requested and scheduled a brief phone interview the next day. The phone interview was somewhat challenging as I had to escape from a hectic work schedule momentarily with little time to review. The questions were mainly regarding my previous experience. One of the questions involved describing a challenging problem at a previous employer and covering all aspects of how I solved it. I was asked what my current salary was and was told that they needed this information so they could determine if "they could afford me". Recruiter was professional in all communications. After the phone interview, I was given a name of a recruiter who would potentially call me within a few days. I also promptly received a follow up email with a job description and links for Tesla including YouTube videos for what I could assume was for the purpose of company branding. Some of the videos had been removed due to TOS (I believe one was a Discovery Channel Giga Factory video). Otherwise, I immersed myself in Tesla for the following days. 12 days later in the morning I got a somewhat unexpected call from Tesla's recruiter, as no specific time was set. The recruiter's questions were somewhat basic: why would you want to work for Tesla, what do you know about Tesla , etc. (I made the mistake of calling the "Store" a dealership..oops). Recruiter was friendly and upbeat and discussed a further interview with a supervisor in the controls engineering department. I promptly received a follow up email with the same job description and Tesla branding links. We scheduled the second phone interview with the supervisor for later that day. I received a call at the scheduled time and asked questions / discussed the position and answered several questions regarding my previous experience for 15-20 minutes. The interviewer was professional and pleasant to speak with. The call ended with the interviewer stating the he would talk to another engineering supervisor to see "if they had any open positions for me". I looked forward to hearing back but heard nothing for 10-12 days after which I followed up with Tesla's recruiter via email but I received no response. One week after that, I followed up with the 3rd party recruiter who promptly replied that they would follow up with Tesla. I received no response after that. Reading other interview reviews, I assume this is the end of the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions, everything was pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Engineering Technician I Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Initially I had two separate phone interviews discussing my background and experience. After I "passed" the phone interviews they invited me to there campus for a full day of interviews. I had four one on one interviews lasting from 9 AM to 3 PM. Each interviewer was a different person on the team that I would be working with if I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • A few circuit questions were asked dealing with low pass filters.   View Answer
    • I was asked to solve one algebraic problem dealing with fluid flow rates and pressures.   View Answer

Accepted another offer

Summer(CAE Engineering) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in January 2015.

I applied online. The hiring manager contacted me through email after 5 days of applying ,saying that my profile matches the skills that they are looking for the position. We scheduled a phone interview after 2 days of receiving the email.

First interview was easy. He just need to know waht you have done in your career and the skills matches the profile. Just went through the CV pretty quickly. They are busy people, so dont waste their time talking rubbish. Come to the point quickly.

After the first interview the HR manager/ Recruiter emailed me back within hours saying that I have qualified to the technical interviews and two engineers will be interviewing me. And we set up an appointment 2 days from this interview.

The second interview was with the head of engineering for that department. He explained what is the job function and what is required from me. Went through the resume one more time.Explained the projects that I did. Some tricky questions about Aluminium structures. Was very friendly. Talked about extra curricular activities like sports passion about cars.

The third and final interview was the hardest. He was a senior technical engineer (PhD). HE came to point pretty quick and was going through my resume and asking question about my past projects and experiences. He is trying to find an ideal candidate for that position. So take this step pretty serious. hey not just looking for a intern that will only work for the summer. It's like applying to a full time position. So you should be pretty smart. Since they are really intelligent. Went through all the courses that I learned and asked fundamental theories from each subject. When I answered wrong he corrected me. That was a learning experience for me. Questions about aluminium structures were stresses in the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are the Properties of Aluminium vs Steel?
      How does the frame properties changes if its made out of aluminium?
      What do you think the best material to use?

Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

If you want to work at Tesla; you need to be persistent. I have applied numerous times since graduating college in 2010. I interviewed 2 times prior to the 3rd, which finally resulted in an offer. Knowing someone who works there will help you get noticed by the hiring managers. Everyone is extremely busy, so don't take it personally if they say they are going to call you the next day and it ends up being the next week. It's nothing personal. People are just very very busy.

The interview/ hiring process:
    1.) Spoke with the recruiter and set up a phone interview with a senior Engineer.
    2.) Interview with senior Engineer. If you know what you are talking about then this should
         be enjoyable. They are getting a first glance at your personality and technical prowess, so be
         honest and don't try to embellish.
    3.) Spoke with recruiter and set up on-site interview a couple hours after the phone interview.
         The time between the phone interview and the on-site was less than a week.
    4.) On-site interview: This was a really cool experience for me. I interviewed with 2 Engineers and
         2 Managers. Again, it's not hard if you know what you are talking about. If you don't know the
         answer toa question; say so. Honestly is a good trait. Also, I'm really into EV, so I think I asked
         about 80% of the questions, which put my mind at ease and gave them a good idea of where I was
         at technically. Be totally transparent.
    5.) Contingent offer about a week later.
    6.) Essays for Elon: You need to write up 3 projects that you have done for Elon to review. Be honest
         and do not embellish. In retrospect this was a lot of fun.
    7.) Background check.
    8.) On boarding process.

The whole process was a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't the typical uncomfortable interview across a table. It was more of a conversation. Tesla isn't your typical vertical organization, and the mindset is similar to Google, so they want people who have the tech skills (tons of people), but personality plays a huge role.   Answer Question
    There are a lot of people who want to work at Tesla, so there will not be much room for negotiation. If you prove yourself and are a strong contributor; you will be rewarded. Tesla is a meritocracy. You reap what you sow.