Tesla Motors Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tesla Motors in August 2015.

Interview

First interview was fairly straightforward. I talked with a university recruiter on the phone. Talked about experiences on your resume and your work ethic. Emphasized hands-on experience. We discussed the work culture and what is expected of Tesla interns. Afterwards, she asked about what interested me the most so she can fit me into a group. She contacted one of her partners to find a best fit for me and that is where I am at right now. Will post an update as the process goes along.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

The HR Review was pretty straightforward with general behavioral questions and a resume walk-through. However, the technical interview was relatively difficult. It involved questions related to how I could help them to improve their processes using what I learned. It seemed as if the interviewer was fixated on knowing how many alternate solutions I could come up with for the same problem. Both the interviewers made me feel very comfortable before the respective calls engaging in a little bit of informal conversation. The interviews got rescheduled a lot since these guys are extremely busy. I advise the applicants to have patience throughout the process, as they will definitely get back.

Interview Questions

• Why your current major? Why Tesla? and How could you help the team with what you have learnt in your course?(they'd describe the problem)   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Interview

1. Phone screening 2. Onsite interview that consisted of multiple one-on-one meetings. A few of the interviewers seemed disengaged and very ill prepared. Meaningful questions were lacking (now I realize it is because they have become lazy interviewers who rely on Gallup results) 3. Received positive feedback from interviewers (despite me having significant doubts about my desire to work there based on the interview experience and unorganized/disengaged vibe) 4. Invited to Gallup behavioral interview 5. Did not receive offer. It was fun to see the facility and I met some nice people, but was honestly relieved to not have received an offer I think Tesla's HR team is far too reliant on the Gallup results. If they want to hire for "fit" and use Gallup, that is great, but in the meantime, improve your candidate experience! Candidates have options and are interviewing you too - at least try to make a good impression. Why not do the Gallup interview first and then you have your answer?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, why do you want to work at Tesla - there were no hardballs and the questions were very redundant between interviewers.   Answer Question

Interview

A smooth process, from the company booking and arranging travel for me to the onsite interview. I enjoyed the panel of interviewers, and that the recruiters always made sure that I had water. I also got to walk around with a recruiter to see a little of the factory and cafe.

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

I was referred by someone that works in Tesla. I had 2 phone interviews before going on site for a full day interview where I talked with the whole team. The interview process was long. The HR was so slow and had time management issues. The interview also involved preparing a presentation about a project I did.

Interview Questions

• Different personal, behavioural, and some basic technical questions   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

Applied online in the beginning of July. I was then contacted by a recruiter about 3 weeks later to set up an exploratory call. First interview was a basic HR interview. All questions about your resume and why you want to work for Tesla. About two hours after my initial interview I was told that I would have a second interview with a hiring manager. Second interview was rescheduled twice due to managers extremely busy schedule. With that being said interview was easy (only about twenty minutes) and consisted of discussing past internship/project experience. I was contacted about an hour after my second interview and told that I would receive a formal offer. However, before an offer letter is sent out, every candidate has to essentially create a short concise list of accomplishments for executive approval.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

So far the worst interview process I had. 13 interviews, one two hour exam and a group presentation. There is no need to be a long process for Tesla itself and for the person that is getting interviewed. Time, efford and money are lost just because there is no right interview process.

Event Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla Motors (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Complete waste of time. I had a total of 7 interviews. 3 on the phone and 4 in person. I had my first 3 successful phone interviews While in Florida where the position is based. Was told that they loved my experience as the main reason for the interest. I told them i was coming to Los Angeles for vacation soon. They literally called me when i was at the airport and asked if i could "stop by" to meet them. From Los Angeles to Palo Alto is 5-6 hours drive. To their credit they offered to pay for hotel and gas. I said yes. So i came up there on my vacation. The 4 in person interviews went very well and the recruiter stated for a fact that she heard it went very well when she walked me out. I didnt hear from the for a week and a half after that. I eventually received an email saying that they were not moving forward with the interview process because of my "lack of experience" are you kidding me? Thats the whole reason they contacted me to begin with. I will never apply again to any Tesla position as i do not like my time or vacation wasted. Most importantly, i was told that i would be required to work 70 + hours a week without overtime and taking vacations is not looked at favorably because that is the work ethic of the the founder of Tesla. Not only is this illegal, it's highly unprofessional. The Federal Department of labor should be contacted about this company. I'm glad Tesla didnt waste more of my time. Stay clear of this company.

Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Tesla Motors (Paramus, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was smooth. I was contacted through email after my friend referred me. The recruiter and I scheduled a phone interview time then and after the phone interview, the in person interview was scheduled. Both interviews were really to get a feel of who I was and what I can offer. I was emailed 9 days after my interview and I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• If you can teach me something, what would you teach me? What do you know about the cars? If you owned a business, what was would be the top three values of your business? Why Tesla?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

I applied online through our campus job board. She followed up 2 days later. She scheduled a phone interview the following week. She was 5 minutes late to our phone call. During our phone screening, she asked about my previous experiences, responsibilities and projects. After speaking about it, she said I was too technical for the HR internship. She said that I'm not what their looking for.