Tesla Motors

Updated Nov 25, 2014
Updated Nov 25, 2014

Production Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tesla Motors in October 2014.

Was referred by a friend. Got a call to schedule interview. Went to interview did testing then was interviewed by a individual where I was asked your basic interview questions. The last question asked about if I had a felony conviction I told the truth and said yes it was for forgery that happen already 5 years ago. After that I was told I would have a response in 48hours. I immediately felt real low and felt discriminated upon. It is a unexplainable feeling especially when you think your at the beginning of your career then to get shut down. Well let's hope for best

Product Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Tesla Motors in October 2014.

I received a call the day that my Resume was sent in. Then a second call after that. I was told that they were all very impressed with me and to wait a bit for the rest of the process, which could take some time. Still waiting for a final answer.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to name two things that I was most proud of.   Answer Question

SERVICE ADVISOR Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

Applied online. Got a call about 2 weeks later, phone screen had just some very basic resume questions and took about 10 minutes. On-site interview was with local service manager and another service advisor. Questions were mostly about my work experience, and nothing technical. I was frustrated with my current work environment, and I was offered a job and accepted on the spot. however, the pay was significantly less than what I was making at the time and there was absolutely no negotiation. I was literally told "take it or leave it". Everyone I talked to was very courteous and professional, but they had very poor follow up. I had to e-mail 4 times in a 3 week period to actually get a new hire packet sent out after I signed a preliminary job acceptance letter.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. It was mostly just chit-chat with the local manager and recruiter.   Answer Question
    No salary negotiation.

Business Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

In person meeting, phone interview, panel interviews. Process was vague, recruiters are absent from guiding you through the process. During the interview with the hiring manager, half way through the interview he realized he was interviewing me for the wrong position. (Red Flag) During the panel interviews (last round) they too thought they were interviewing me for a completely different position. The car is beautiful, but this is what is underneath the 'frunk' hard to want to work for a clearly absent minded organization.

Interview Questions

Managers make or break your experience. It was clear that the management is dysfunctional.

Senior Information Security Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in September 2014.

I applied online and had a phone screen with a recruiter roughly two weeks later. After the end of the phone screen I was informed that I would be brought on-site for an interview with two people, the hiring manager and director.

The in-person interview lasted about an hour and was not overly technical. The hiring manager admitted to having not even looked at my resume prior to the interview but it went well with both the director and hiring manager. I followed up with the recruiter a couple days after and was told that I had received extremely positive feedback and that I would be moving on for final approval by the CIO and CEO. I was asked to write three "Exceptional Points" about myself that were no more than 3 sentences each, which would be use to help tell my story.

I again received extremely positive feedback from the recruiter about these points, noting that I was a standout candidate and that they definitely needed to get me on the team. I was told that the approval process will take some time and that 3 weeks isn't out of the norm but was encouraged to follow up for updates.

One week after submitting my 3 points, I followed up with the recruiter and received no response. One week after that, I received a phone call from the recruiter informing that my application had not been approved but without a clear reason why -- allusions were made to my years of experience, which is strange given my resume and application clearly document those up front. Why run through the process at all if they want someone with more or less years of experience? It's also a bit disconcerting that the hiring manager (and their superior) lack the authority to actually hire, which in general made for an unfavorable experience given extremely positive feedback from the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were difficult or unexpected, the interview process was easy overall. The most technical question was if I could analyze PCAP (not any specifics of how, what I'd do, etc., just a yes/no question).   Answer Question

Production Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Tesla Motors in September 2014.

I was called by a recruiter who had my resume on hand for experience and salary requirements. We agreed upon a time for an interview and he sent me an email confirmation. When I arrived at the location at the right time, I was surprised to learn that I was entering a "cattle call" process and sat with over a dozen people to sign in and get name tags. Every individual person that I spoke with was there for a different position. It felt more like the entrance to boot camp than a job interview. After completing stage one of the basic skills tests I was finally able to ask an individual about the actual salary ranges for the position which I was called in for. Upon learning that I was competing for a nightmare commute into Fremont for $11/hr less than I am currently making, I politely thanked the person for their time and I excused myself. I have tried to contact the recruiter who contacted me for the position, but he has not returned any emails nor is his phone number listed in his contact information. Very disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in a career with Tesla Motors?   View Answer

Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Tesla Motors in September 2014.

fill out online application and they will get back with you. send resume too the location and ask for the Manager on staff gets you a foot in the door so when you are interviewing with Corporate you can have a go too person.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in September 2014.

Applied through website. Got contacted fairly quickly by HR and a week later by the hiring manager. Phone interview went great. Was called in for an on-site interview. The first group went fine, the second person was clearly not prepared or had no interview experience because his questions were vague and he did not seem to have a goal in mind.

The third group was something special... it consisted of the most senior engineer and the hiring manager. The engineer came in with an attitude. He asked me a question about a project I worked on and then claimed that the technology I used for that project did not exist. What do you say to that? I used it for over three years with success and he flat-out denied that it existed. I tried to remain polite, but was stunned and could not do much more than explain to him that it really did exist. Then, after reading a two-sentence project description of a different project he concluded that my design for that project was completely wrong... Again, I tried to explain, but I felt like I was talking to a six-year old. The worst part was that the hiring manager just sat there and let it happen. I looked at him for any reaction or help, but it was clear he was afraid to disagree with his engineer.
    So, here we have an anti-social, arrogant engineering lead and his weak department manager, which is a recipe for disaster. Within ten minutes I lost all interest in the position. The engineer then proceeded to ask obscure questions involving a lot of syntax and nit-pick every little mistake. By this time I could not care less, so I stopped even trying.

Still, I would not call the entire experience negative. I talked to some very friendly people and all follow-ups were prompt and professional. I won't let one (or two) bad apples spoil it and I would consider applying for a position in a different department (because the one I interviewed for is going to be in deep trouble).

Tips for the company: Give your people interview training. I have interviewed a lot of engineers over the years and I have my routine down pat. Secondly, questions that can be answered by a 5 second Google search are terrible interview questions and teach you nothing about the candidate. Thirdly, fire your lead before it is too late. Finally, if you demand perfect syntax during an interview, you should probably leave the interviewing to someone else.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question: "Write a class."... Uhm, excuse me? After asking for more details it was all the direction I was going to get... so I wrote a class declaration.. Bizarre.   Answer Question

Firmware Engineer Interview

Got a call from one of the HR team saying that they are interested in my profile and spoke about my previous work experience and projects that i did. was sent some professional work experience and embedded c questions. still waiting for the interview updates. i shall post it as soon as it moves ahead.

Interview Questions
    • embedded c programming questions on volatile, loading a value in a specific address location etc.   Answer Question

Service Concierge Interview

Applied online via craigslist. Phone call with recruiter then online app. went through 2 in person interviews at the location with location manager and regional manager. Had a total of 3 phone interviews over 3 weeks. Spent 3 weeks trying to get offer approved, eventually they rescinded offer.

Interview Questions
    • mainly questions are about customer service. have a situation and use STAR to describe it   Answer Question

They rescinded the offer due to a change in business needs.