Tesla Motors

Tesla Motors Interview Questions

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

Product Excellence Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in November 2014.

Entire process was relatively quick: 3 phone interviews (2 with HR, 1 with a Senior Engineer) before the group interview onsite. Reading previous users comments on how horrible or condescending the interviewers are is lost to me - If there are uncaring or condescending interviewers/employees I have yet to see them. Positive experience

Interview Questions
    • Questions related to my thought process of fixing a problem, wanting to hear my internal monologue and asking potentially misleading questions.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Interview

First HR will call you. This is to just get basic information like dates you want to work, your major, why Telsa. Next I had phone interviews with members of one manager's group. First interview I was asked questions about high power electronics, given some trick questions a circuit with a motor in it. Next interview was more about my resume. I did not get to interview with the manager of the group.

Interview Questions
    • What are your skills, do you have high power electronics experiences. Considering the motor as part of the circuit to which you can place in/out phase.   Answer Question

Senior Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

I applied online and then got contacted by email about 3 weeks after. I got an initial interview by an HR person and then another interview by phone by the hiring manager. After talking with him on the phone he asked me to go for an on site interview. The interview happened about 3 weeks after our phone interview. I was asked to do a technical presentation and then I interview with each member of the team for about 30 to 45 mins.

Interview Questions
    • One of the questions that every interviewer asks is why do you want to work at Tesla.   View Answer

Product Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

I received a call from someone in the HR department, the interview lasted for about 45 minutes. She asked me many questions about my past job experiences. She asked me to describe to her the most difficult situation that I faced at work and how I managed it and to describe her my main activities in past jobs. She also asked me what did I know about the company and why did I want to work for Tesla.

Product Specialist Interview

I was recruited through linkedin and told that I have the sales experience that would work well with Tesla. I then set up an in-person interview with my store manager which went well and that was followed immediately by an over the phone interview with my regional and national sales manager. Everyone in the company is very relaxed, chill, and super-friendly. You blend right in without even noticing.

Interview Questions
    • Give us a time you've overcame adversity and how would you used that same tactic selling an electric vehicle?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. It's a fixed salary.

Production Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tesla Motors in October 2014.

Was referred by a friend. Got a call to schedule interview. Went to interview did testing then was interviewed by a individual where I was asked your basic interview questions. The last question asked about if I had a felony conviction I told the truth and said yes it was for forgery that happen already 5 years ago. After that I was told I would have a response in 48hours. I immediately felt real low and felt discriminated upon. It is a unexplainable feeling especially when you think your at the beginning of your career then to get shut down. Well let's hope for best

Product Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Tesla Motors in October 2014.

I received a call the day that my Resume was sent in. Then a second call after that. I was told that they were all very impressed with me and to wait a bit for the rest of the process, which could take some time. Still waiting for a final answer.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to name two things that I was most proud of.   Answer Question

SERVICE ADVISOR Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

Applied online. Got a call about 2 weeks later, phone screen had just some very basic resume questions and took about 10 minutes. On-site interview was with local service manager and another service advisor. Questions were mostly about my work experience, and nothing technical. I was frustrated with my current work environment, and I was offered a job and accepted on the spot. however, the pay was significantly less than what I was making at the time and there was absolutely no negotiation. I was literally told "take it or leave it". Everyone I talked to was very courteous and professional, but they had very poor follow up. I had to e-mail 4 times in a 3 week period to actually get a new hire packet sent out after I signed a preliminary job acceptance letter.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. It was mostly just chit-chat with the local manager and recruiter.   Answer Question
    No salary negotiation.

Business Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

In person meeting, phone interview, panel interviews. Process was vague, recruiters are absent from guiding you through the process. During the interview with the hiring manager, half way through the interview he realized he was interviewing me for the wrong position. (Red Flag) During the panel interviews (last round) they too thought they were interviewing me for a completely different position. The car is beautiful, but this is what is underneath the 'frunk' hard to want to work for a clearly absent minded organization.

Interview Questions

Managers make or break your experience. It was clear that the management is dysfunctional.

Senior Information Security Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in September 2014.

I applied online and had a phone screen with a recruiter roughly two weeks later. After the end of the phone screen I was informed that I would be brought on-site for an interview with two people, the hiring manager and director.

The in-person interview lasted about an hour and was not overly technical. The hiring manager admitted to having not even looked at my resume prior to the interview but it went well with both the director and hiring manager. I followed up with the recruiter a couple days after and was told that I had received extremely positive feedback and that I would be moving on for final approval by the CIO and CEO. I was asked to write three "Exceptional Points" about myself that were no more than 3 sentences each, which would be use to help tell my story.

I again received extremely positive feedback from the recruiter about these points, noting that I was a standout candidate and that they definitely needed to get me on the team. I was told that the approval process will take some time and that 3 weeks isn't out of the norm but was encouraged to follow up for updates.

One week after submitting my 3 points, I followed up with the recruiter and received no response. One week after that, I received a phone call from the recruiter informing that my application had not been approved but without a clear reason why -- allusions were made to my years of experience, which is strange given my resume and application clearly document those up front. Why run through the process at all if they want someone with more or less years of experience? It's also a bit disconcerting that the hiring manager (and their superior) lack the authority to actually hire, which in general made for an unfavorable experience given extremely positive feedback from the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were difficult or unexpected, the interview process was easy overall. The most technical question was if I could analyze PCAP (not any specifics of how, what I'd do, etc., just a yes/no question).   Answer Question