Tesla Motors Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

3.1

Product Specialist Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Tesla Motors in August 2013.

Had four interviews. My first was 1st interview was over phone and went great (just prepare like you would for any job - know something about the company); the second and third were group interviews, and the fourth was with the regional manager.

Negotiate. Everything is negotiable.

Service Concierge Interview

Applied online via craigslist. Phone call with recruiter then online app. went through 2 in person interviews at the location with location manager and regional manager. Had a total of 3 phone interviews over 3 weeks. Spent 3 weeks trying to get offer approved, eventually they rescinded offer.

Interview Questions
    • mainly questions are about customer service. have a situation and use STAR to describe it   Answer Question

They rescinded the offer due to a change in business needs.

Manufacturing Co-op Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in January 2014.

Applied Online. Recruiter emailed me to see if I was still interested & to set up a phone screen. It appeared that the way you describe yourself, they will determine what department you would be best suited for. Then, had a 1:1 phone call with technical manager.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Tesla?
      What got you to this point in your schooling?
      What do you want to get out of this co-op?
      Describe a time in one of your last projects when you solved a problem, and how did you go about it?
      Manager gave a hypothetical situation and asked how I would go about addressing/solving the problem.
        Answer Question

Material Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Tesla Motors in June 2014.

Received an email within a week of applying. Email asked availability and confirmed other job aspects. 1 day after that I received an interview date and time. Went in for an interview but was taken into a room to do a test with 3 bolts 12 nuts and 6 washers. Task was to put on PPE then put together according to their diagram (matching colors and measurements) Then I was taken out for a quick 3 question interview. Why tesla? Why am I leaving current job. And when am I available for second interview. Very unfriendly hiring staff.

Interview Questions
    • Went in for an interview but was taken into a room to do a test with 3 bolts 12 nuts and 6 washers. Task was to put on PPE then put together according to their diagram (matching colors and measurements).   View Answer

/Co Op Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in July 2014.

Email from HR with a very simple initial screening and email to coordinate first technical interview. First interview was with the person who would be my mentor. He asked about the projects I have done in the past and asked details about the design decisions, which I was prepared for. He kind of had an abrasive personality and so I was surprised to have a second technical interview with the hiring manager. The manager was very pleasant and the questions were more focus on hypothetical problem solving about thermal runaway.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about every little thing on your resume is asked.   Answer Question

Although the manager interaction was pleasant, I was turned off with the impression I got of my potential mentor. The rather low pay and the reputation of overworking the workers did not help.

Senior Electronic Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in March 2014.

Great communication with recruiter. Went through two phone screens, then had on site interview with entire group (about 5 people). Phone screen was extremely easy for me - the position suited me well. Mostly, they talked about the position, and asked me very few questions. Got an on site interview and was asked to present relevant engineering work. Got call from recruiter that same day saying that I got the position.

Interview Questions
    Unable to really negotiate. Recruiter really low-balled, but then retracted and gave more reasonable offer. If you want to work for Tesla, you're here because you enjoy the work, and not the money.

Product Excellence Powertrain Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Tesla Motors in August 2012.

The first interview was the most difficult and stressful one I have ever been to. They threw everything they got at me. I feel like throwing up afterwards. I know I could have done better. Nonetheless, I passed... And now today I'm onto my second one with a senior engineer of quality processing and this one is supposed to be more difficult than the first.

Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Tesla Motors in January 2014.

I applied for the Product Specialist Position at Newport Beach. Though experience isn't required for the position, it is heavily preferred. Anyone that has experience in retail sales, and/or cars has a shot. Most likely going to be a phone interview with a member of human resources department since their headquarters is in Norcal.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was about cars. HR interviewer asked me to sell the Tesla Model S to her over the phone and I had to explain why the Tesla was better than its competitors, Audi A7, MB CLS/S , Lexus LS, and etc   Answer Question
    Not much of a negotiation. Starting pay was about 12 and you work your way up

Autopilot Driving Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in May 2014.

Got an email from the HR person saying they liked my work and are interested in talking . She set up an initial exploratory HR phone interview - which went well . Just asking you questions from your resume directly.HR people cant really probe you with technical questions and she tried to ask me a few questions that even she didn't fully comprehend.I was told that there would be two technical rounds after she would forward my profile to the driver assistance and vehicle automation team.Two weeks went by with no feedback.After pursuing the matter through email a technical phone interview was set up with the person incharge of my team.
     I spent a lot of time preparing for the interview - he did not ask me any technical questions - just more resume probing and asking about projects I had done in the past.He sounded like he was in a hurry and said he was getting into a meeting .He then asked me if I had any questions - I had actually prepared 3-4 questions to ask him (Employee development at Tesla - Background of the people on his team - Do the people on his team work individually or collaborate on projects .He sounded unsure in his answers and I wasn't satisfied with the responses I got from him). He spoke to me for exactly 17 minutes and said he was getting into a meeting and had to cut the call short.
    Got a mail from the HR person the next day saying that I didnt cut it.

Interview Questions
    • None - I dont feel any of the conversations had any actual questions .   Answer Question

CAE Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Tesla Motors in April 2014.

Pre-screened on phone by company's recruiter. Two phone interviews. Full day on-site interview with 7 different groups of people. All the people I met and talked with were sharp and asked great questions. The process was lengthy but thorough. One downside was that they did not leave much time for me to ask my questions. Typically I was asking them my question(s) as they were walking out the door to let the next group of interviewers in. So I was getting one or two word answers. Great people and very passionate about the company and the product. The office space is completely packed wall-to-wall and people working elbow-to-elbow, and the parking lot was almost overflowing. I'm glad I showed up early so I could make the long walk from the far outer edge of the lot to the front entry. It was obvious the company is growing like crazy.

Interview Questions
    • Nearly all questions were technical and of the sort: "given problem "X" how would you solve it, or what would you do?" There were no "gotcha" or behavioral questions. Almost every interview group asked me "Why do you want to work here?"   Answer Question

Offer was $10k below what I currently make. The cost of living increase for me to relocate to CA was +$15K. It was made clear that the hours would be long and there would be lots of high pressure. There was no way to sell that to my wife and kids (less of me, less money - major cutbacks, and a completely new place without our friends and family). If I was single and without kids I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat.