Tesla Motors

Relevance Date Difficulty

Inside Sales Interview

Inside Sales
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview Details – The overall process was nice, but it was a lenghtly process wich lasted several month. So be prepared to spend some time with several conversations as I had about 7-8 in total. So Patience is the biggest character feature you will need.

Interview Question – With still to some extend limited knowledge about the company to hold an entire sales pitch for the product.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It took ages

Senior Maintenance Engineer Interview

Senior Maintenance Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview Details – First had a phone interview. Then an on-site "shot-gun" interview with 6 engineer managers. 30 minutes - 1hour for each person. Managers were texting during the interview so it was hard to know if they were listening. Lots of brain- teasers. And expected to earn respect at Tesla you do not deserve respect i guess.

Interview Question – Is 3,599 a prime number? Yes or No. Explain.   View Answers (5)

Reliability Simulation Engineer Interview

Reliability Simulation Engineer
Fremont, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in April 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume through HR. HR called me to know my background. Three phone interviews - one with the hiring manager, one with staff engineer and one more with another senior engineer. Got called for onsite interview. Three hour long interview consisting of five 30 minutes 1:1 interviews with the team followed by a factory visit.

Interview Question – Mostly detailed questions on resume, reliability models, simulation experience of electronic packages under accelerated loading conditions, and basic statistics questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Base pay was very less for a PhD. Not negotiable.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

QA Engineer Interview

QA Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview Details – Phone interview, then a coding exam. I did the coding exam perfectly correct, but then the recruiter came out with an excuse that I failed, because the format of my answers was not the way she wanted.

Interview Question – Actually questions were not too bad, the recruiters are very unfreidnly   View Answer

Test Engineer Interview

Test Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in April 2014.

Interview Details – I sent my resume in to an alum from my college and she passed it along to the hiring manager of the division. The first email communication I received was a request to set up a preliminary phone interview. The interview was mostly just gauging my interest in the position, my interest in the company, and a few questions about my resume. From there, they requested another phone interview for the following week. The second phone interview was mostly questions about my experiences and what I consider my qualifications. Afterwards, I received another email asking to setup a third phone interview. The third phone interview was with another person in the department and covered somewhat similar material.

After the three phone interviews, they asked to schedule an on site with me. That process was pretty quick, and they paid for the travel, rental car, and hotel (and up to $50 of food per day). The on site process started with me giving a 30 minute presentation of my choice, and then 4 hours of technical interviews. The interviews asked about fundamental aspects of EE for the most part.

In the end, they did not give me an offer because I did not have enough professional experience (despite that as a new grad, I had two summers of internships and three semesters of working with company sponsored projects). They said they needed someone who could contribute week one and could not spare the month needed to train me up to speed.

It was a tough process and a bitter-sweet result, but it was a good learning experience.

Interview Question – Why does putting an op-amp voltage follower circuit too close (physically) to the DUT make it unstable?   View Answer

Customer Advocate Interview

Customer Advocate

Interviewed at Tesla Motors

Interview Details – Recruiter was really helpful and organized, provided me a detailed agenda of the interview process.

The agenda included 1) interview with the customer advocate manager 2) interview with a current employee in the role 3) interview with the then VP of customer advocacy.

Day of the interview I signed in electronically at the headquarters. My recruiter had a lot of enthusiasm and provided me a tour of the facility. Once my recruiter handed me off to the manager things became disorganized.. I was left in a random conference room for approximately 20 minutes. When the interviewer finally arrived they seemed unprepared or maybe running behind. There was no type of interview guide and questions seemed to be at random focused on determining my ability to handle workload and answering questions there may not be answers for. The second part of the interview, a current employee was brought in. The employee was very confused at their role in the interview process.

Interview Question – How do you respond to a question there is not an answer for?   Answer Question

Product Quality Engineer Interview

Product Quality Engineer
Fremont, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on line and was contacted by email to set up a phone interview with a Technical Recruiter. This interview was mostly a review of my resume with some chances to discuss my key technical skills that would apply to the job. The recruiter was very friendly and hinted several times about the "passion" and "dedication" required to work at Tesla.

The recruiter passed me along to the hiring manager for a phone interview. She asked me to put together a short summary of three technical projects to demonstrate my problem solving experience.

The second interview did not go well. I had overestimated the technical requirements of the job. Also, because I thought I'd be doing more measurements and analysis I had wrongly assumed I could bring work home with me so I could be home for dinner most nights. I understood going in to the interview that Tesla hours are intense but it also turned out that none of the work for this job could be done remotely.

The rest of the interview was OK. I had lots to talk about in regards to the prepared project summaries since I had spent several hours reviewing old projects to pick the most applicable three. The hiring manager asked me to pick any one of them for discussion. That went well, though the hiring manager indicated a bit later that this job wouldn't have much "deep-dive type engineering measurements and analysis." By this point I should have seen the writing on the wall and bailed, but I didn't want to give up.

There was a short series of typical interview type questions asked as well. Here are the ones I remember:
-Why Tesla?
-We have a lot of talented people. What makes you special?
-Are you more of a hands-on type person or a project manager?

The end of the interview was simply saying goodbye. The hiring manager didn't give me any indication about what was coming next told me there was no "next." A few days later I got a "thanks, but no thanks" email from the recruiter.

Overall I was impressed with the interview process. Things moved along at a good clip, it was all done within 2 weeks of applying on line. The recruiter kept me in the loop and everyone called on time as scheduled. The recruiter gave not-so-subtle hints about the work hours load. The hiring manager told me exactly how many hours per week he expects (60 in this case) and was transparent about what the job would actually entail (which wasn't as interesting as the written description). In the end I agree with the hiring manager that I wasn't a good fit for the position.

Interview Question – Do you have any question for me?   View Answer

Engineering Technician II Interview

Engineering Technician II
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in January 2014.

Interview Details – Very professional and efficient hiring process

Interview Question – Technical questions regarding sample selections and logic behind test methods   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, terms were presented before I interviewed and I was asked to accept.

Product Excellence Engineer Interview

Product Excellence Engineer
Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Tesla Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details – So far I've had a telephone interview. I reckon the fact a Tesla Motors employee gave my resume to a recruiter had a lot to do with getting the interview, although I also applied on their website. The website was a bit quirky, and I had to submit my application twice to feel like it actually got through.

Interview Question – We work long hours and weekends at Tesla. You're probably used to a more 9 to 5 type job. How do you feel about the expectation of working long hours?   View Answer

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Tesla Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details – I had three telephone interviews. First one with HR, second and third with engineering managers. After the initial screening process I was asked to come to Palo Alto for a full day interview. The interview process was quite rigorous with individual interviews and one final group interview. Lost's of questions on exactly what I was doing in my previous job and why I have to offer Tesla. I was asked why Tesla ? how can I do my job differential at Tesla.

Interview Question – We have seen a lot of people like you what makes you different.   View Answer