Tesla Motors

Tesla Motors Interview Questions

Updated Jan 24, 2015
Updated Jan 24, 2015

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

I got two phone interviews and one on sit interview with presentation. the total process was less than two weeks to get an offer. The HR process the offer with a reasonable speed and the process was efficient.

Interview Questions
    • presentation and 8+ 1:1 interviews at the same day   View Answer

Test Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in December 2014.

An HR rep emailed me to set up a phone interview the next day. Interviewer missed the first appointment and after I contacted him, he setup another interview for the following day. He missed that appointment too and finally called about an hour later. The interview went pretty well and lasted about 40 minutes. At the end of the interview he told me they were interested in proceeding to the next phase which would be another phone interview with him, his manager and possibly an engineer from the team the position was with. This was 3 weeks ago and nothing has happened since then. I have sent several emails and left a few messages on his voicemail and haven't gotten any response at all.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were that difficult. Mostly they were just basic questions about my experiences listed on my resume and a few questions about my problem solving process.   Answer Question

Maintenance Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Tesla Motors in November 2014.

I was recommended by a job recruiter and went to a job hiring event where I was set up to be interviewed by Tesla Motors. I sat with a Technician Supervisor for the interview. He asked me alot of electronic questions.

Product Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors.

Applied through my schools career fair. Got an email a week later for an in-person interview at the store nearest to me. A week after that, got another email for a second round interview at the same store. Both interviews were panel interviews, 3 Tesla employees and 4 candidates all at a conference room table.

Interview Questions
    • What fires you up? What are you most passionate about?   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

Not the standard "HR" 3rd degree, canned interview. It was a reflection of Tesla - innovative. It was relaxed. The interview was done off-site and not at a Tesla location. Which actually made it a neutral setting and comfortable for everyone.

Interview Questions
    • Personally, it wasn't difficult or any booby trap surprise questions. But then again....I was prepared. The conversation was a two way street.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Applied online through their website. Had phone screens asking me to explain my general interest/experience as well as an online coding test. They cared very much about syntax and wanted everything exactly correct. Did not hear from them again.

Interview Questions
    • Given an input string of 0 or more digits '2' - '9', list out all
         the possible strings from a typical phonepad digit-to-letter
         conversion (below), one per line

9: WXYZ

View Answer
    • Implement atoi   Answer Question

Product Excellence Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in November 2014.

Entire process was relatively quick: 3 phone interviews (2 with HR, 1 with a Senior Engineer) before the group interview onsite. Reading previous users comments on how horrible or condescending the interviewers are is lost to me - If there are uncaring or condescending interviewers/employees I have yet to see them. Positive experience

Interview Questions
    • Questions related to my thought process of fixing a problem, wanting to hear my internal monologue and asking potentially misleading questions.   Answer Question

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in November 2014.

Taking advantage of my free month of LinkedIn premium, I sent an InMail to a recruiter working at Tesla, who returned my contact a day or two later. He enthusiastically outlined all the different firmware groups and what they do, and the typical hiring process.

We kicked it off by setting a time/date for an e-mail firmware exercise. They were very basic questions, and I had to send a reply with my solutions attached within 30 minutes. My resume and my firmware answers caught the interest of one manager, and so the recruiter set up a phone interview with him a few days down the road.

The manager called at the appointed time and we discussed the work I did in my current company. The interview took about 45 minutes, followed by a live coding session over a collaborative browser-based text pad web-app. As luck would have it, we experienced technical issues a few minutes in, and I was allowed do send in a text file much like the firmware exercise! Being the honest guy that I am, I quickly completed it and sent it to the recruiter.

The impression from the first interview was quite positive, granting me a second one set a few days later, this time with a senior engineer. We discussed in greater detail about my current employment, as well as projects I had done in school. The recruiter followed up the next day with good news of an almost-all-expenses paid trip to Palo Alto.

The on-site interview consisted of a presentation I had to deliver, followed by a series of one-on-ones with 5 engineers/managers, one of which was a chat over lunch. I gave myself a week to prepare the presentation and to brush up on my software engineering skillset. I don't present a lot, so when I queried the audience about time, I was over the allotted duration by 2 minutes, and I wasn't even done yet! Let me just say.. it's a good sign if they allow you to continue and finish. Every one-on-one session had a whiteboard coding component, ranging from writing functions to finding errors in a snippet of code. Difficulty was relatively easy, there were a couple that gave me trouble, though applicants who haven't done more embedded-related type or work will have a harder time.

I left the office feeling pretty good, though I spent the next week dwelling on things said and left unsaid. Though through the whole process the recruiter was very polite and professional, definitely unlike the entries I read here from 1 or 2 years ago. He followed up a week after the on-site interview as promised.

Associate Manufacturing Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors in November 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter about the position. I had a phone interview with a manufacturing manager within a day or two of confirming that I wanted to interview for the position. About a week later, I was informed by the recruiter that I would be flown out for an on-site interview. They completed a background check before I could fly out to the interview. I had to prepare a 20-minute presentation of a particular engineering problem that I had solved. Flight, hotel, rental car, and meals were paid for. On the day of my interview, I first gave my presentation to a group of engineers, and then I interviewed individually for 30 minutes with each engineer. Lunch was provided, and I also got a tour of the Tesla factory. I was in contact with my recruiter over the next few weeks as the team interviewed other candidates until I found out that I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Be able to talk about your past projects in extreme detail. Review basic mechanics.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Interview

First HR will call you. This is to just get basic information like dates you want to work, your major, why Telsa. Next I had phone interviews with members of one manager's group. First interview I was asked questions about high power electronics, given some trick questions a circuit with a motor in it. Next interview was more about my resume. I did not get to interview with the manager of the group.

Interview Questions
    • What are your skills, do you have high power electronics experiences. Considering the motor as part of the circuit to which you can place in/out phase.   Answer Question