Tesla Motors Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.9

Lean Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Fremont, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Casual talk with VP through network, then formal interview after position was defined. Overall 2+ month process. Met with managers of 4 departments, including the one I would be a part of. Done in conference room as opposed to the lunch room as some in my network did. I have several contacts within the plant which greatly helped the process. Waiting to see if I get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions related to lean, along with some management questions.   1 Answer

Machinist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Fremont, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Interviewer did not understand job. He was just screening for next interviewer. Could not really even explain benefits and other job related questions. Sent me a PDF on benefits. After 90 days from submitting application, was contacted and they wanted someone to start within less than 2 weeks. Seemed to me they were low-balling and trying to fill a position quickly.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to work overtime and weekends? The pay is non-negotiable. The pay rate you listed is $10.00 per hour more than we are offering. Are you willing to work for that amount?   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university's internal listserve for job openings by submitting my resume, then I was invited to an on-site interview. Individually met with multiple managers within the department I was interested in.

Interview Questions

• What was your favorite/ least favorite part about this position/project? Why? And how did you go about it? (for the least favorite part)   Answer Question

Simulation Expert Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Tesla Motors (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

There were two telephone interviews:
       - one from the HR department: my general experience in the manufacturing industry has been investigated; my eligibility to work in US has been proven. My opinion about the Tesla Motors company and their commitment to excellence in electrical car was also asked.
       - the other from a simulation team member: more technical questions were answered to prove my simulation/modeling skills.

Interview Questions

• Key questions:
       - what do you think about the future of electrical cars? The pollution connected to the production and recycling of the batteries?
      - what is your strategy in developing a simulation model; which kind of questions you ask to the Client to understand the goals he wants to achieve by making a simulation?

Answer Question

Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Fremont, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Short 20-30 minute interviews with 5-6 hiring managers. Most of the questions were about my background and knowledge. Some questions about PLC programming and troubleshooting circuits. They probed a lot on why I wanted to work for the company. They expect people to be excited about their technology and have some knowledge on what the company actually does. If you don't know something be honest. This felt more like a "will you be a good fit" then are you actually qualified. I feel like they would train the right person.

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Tesla Motors.

Interview

I was contacted by a university hiring representative for a battery chemistry internship, but she failed to contact me during the scheduled time for our phone. Two days later, she emailed me and we were able to reschedule for a later date, and I went through to a second phone interview with a member of the battery team. I was prepared to discuss the technical details of prior internships and chemistry in general. However, the interviewer had a very thick accent and we had a lot of difficulty communicating.

Interview Questions

• General background questions in first interview followed by advanced technical information in the second interview.   Answer Question

Owner Advisor - Monterey CA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Tesla Motors is in the process of opening a new store in the Monterey, CA area. I applied for an Owner Advisor position that was posted in Craigslist in mid-February of this year.

I was contacted about 1 month after the application and had an initial phone interview with HR. The conversation went well, and I got a second phone interview scheduled a few days later with a Bay Area store manager. I took some time off in the morning to be home & available, but the manager never called. I contacted HR to let them know that I had to get back to work. They rescheduled for that afternoon. I left work early and went home to take the call. The conversation went well but there was some confusion regarding the status of the store in Monterey. The manager was under the impression that the position was home-based, and that a store was NOT being opened here. Also, no apology for the missed call.

Three days later I receive a request to meet with the regional sales manager at their flagship store (1 1/2 hour drive from Monterey). I make the plans to get up there the following week. The interview went well (at least that was my impression). The manager asked me to stay a bit longer so I can meet with another store manager. The interview lasted a total of about 90 minutes - so I take that as a good sign.

Then the waiting begins ....

It has been 6 weeks now and I have heard absolutely NOTHING. I believe I did all the right things - promptly sending thank you emails after each interview & very brief weekly follow ups with the individuals that I had interviewed with. NOTHING ....

I have read countless articles from professionals that indicate this to be the this "New Normal" style of recruiting. I am sorely disappointed with the lack of common courtesy - even if it's a simple rejection letter. Sad .... because I have high hopes that Tesla will be making ground-breaking inroads to sway the general population into accepting EV technology, and I wanted to be part of that movement.

Interview Questions

• The usual questions - why do you want to work for Tesla; give me a summary of your professional career; where do you see yourself in 5 year, etc.   1 Answer

Product Excellence Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Fremont, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Long. Took 3+ from initial contact to decision. If you get selected, its no longer about how much technical knowledge you have, but how much PASSION you have for Tesla and their vision. The hiring process is a bit too much. It seems alot of resources are being wasted in selecting the "right" candidate.

Interview Questions

• They want to know more about the projects you worked on and how well you'll fit in with the company. Know yourself and your work.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Tesla Motors in March 2015.

Interview

It was the first interview, with the hr guy. Mainly about me, inquired about my previous work expirence, and what I would be interested in working on at Tesla, then sent my resume to that department for their OK. Very fast phone interview, keep your answers concise, they're busy people.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesla Motors (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and had two phone interviews, one with HR which was rather easy. We went over my entire resume, detailing each position and my responsibilities. After that, I had another phone interview with the department head. The questions were rather average, simply described my experience and went over my resume (mainly discussed my past experience, not just my recent experience). There were no trick questions, just describe your experience, what was your biggest challenge there, etc.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging aspect of your position?   Answer Question