Tesoro Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

3.1

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesoro Corporation.

Interview

I was actually recruited for this position, so I can’t speak to how long it takes Tesoro to call you back once you’ve submitted an application. For the interview: 1 - I had an itinerary emailed to me that filled an entire afternoon – each interview session was 30 minutes. Keep in mind that this was for an “experienced professional” position – not management or any tier higher. I had to take time off from my current job to interview. Not a huge deal for me personally, but it was not exactly ideal. 2 - The recruiter scheduled me on top of another candidate, whom was interviewed first. We started about 20 minutes late and consequently, it pushed back every other interview I was scheduled for. 3 - All the interviews were 2 people, with the exception of the recruiter and a VP interview. None of the questions were very difficult. In fact, most of the interviews were highly conversational and felt more personal rather than a “Tell me about a time when…” 4 - There were a hodgepodge of questions I answered, leading me to believe they didn’t really know what they wanted in a candidate, or every single interviewer was unprepared. One interviewer mentioned not needing a qualified HR person, but rather someone who could meet deadlines, which left me with mixed confidence in the role. Good luck to others!

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesoro Corporation (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Interview process included a 30 minute phone interview with HR and the hiring manager, followed by a 45 minute onsite interview with the hiring manager, 30 minutes with HR, and 45 minutes with a panel of subject matter experts. A little intimidating, book structured personality type interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you witnessed an ethical situation with another employee. What did you do about it, and what was the outcome.   1 Answer

Communication Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesoro Corporation (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

They contacted me from my career services website. It was a month long process. Employers were very nice. The interview was in person and it was about 30 minutes long. I think this is only because we had a very long conversation about something going on in the news and got off topic. The overall experience was good, however, I was competing against many other candidates for one position. I did not end up getting the internship.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to be a team player?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Tesoro Corporation.

Interview

Interview was brief (~45 minutes long) and I was interviewed by two people, both of whom were friendly. They had a list of questions ready and just went off the list. The questions were all behavioral (answer in STAR format), and because of their line of work, they seemed to prioritize safety.

Interview Questions

• Name an example of when you disagreed with someone, and how did you approach the situation.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tesoro Corporation.

Interview

The selection process was lengthy. Recruitment takes a long time in getting back to you and the HRBP interviewed you with such arrogance. Then they never get back to you so I accepted another offer.

Interview Questions

• The questions are generic and asked about a date and time. They really don't ask about abilities and skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tesoro Corporation (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Tesoro contacted me directly asking to interview me for a accounting internship position for the 2014 summer period. They came to my campus and the interview lasted about 45 minutes. All of the questions were behavioral and the recruiter was a very nice man. It was my first interview ever, and it was a great one.

Training Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesoro Corporation (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

First phase - phone pre-screening with an HR recruiter. Second phase - complete online personality apptitude test Third phase - face to face panel interview with manager, assistant manager and current training coordinator. They asked behavioral and situational questions based on my answers to the online personality apptitude test. Each took turns asking me questions. The whole interview process took about 45 minutes. After the interview I was advised I would be hearing from their HR department regarding the next steps regardless if they wanted to proceed with hiring me or not. They clearly stated HR would be in touch with me within a week. It's been over a month and I have not heard back from them at all. I waited two weeks and gave up. At least a generic "we decided to go with another candidate" email would suffice.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were unique to the personality test. But one question they did ask that seems to be general was, "Tell us something about yourself that we wouldn't be able to tell from looking at your resume."   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesoro Corporation in December 2014.

Interview

I met Tesoro recruiters at a national career fair. I received a call from them about a month and a half later. I completed one interview round with five different individuals of the company. I received a call about a month after the interview with an offer. The whole process is smooth and very professional. The recruiter keeps you in loop of what is going on and when to expect notifications from the company.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of when you promoted safety or sustainability in your previous experience?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Tesoro Corporation (Fort Collins, CO) in December 2014.

Interview

Got a phone interview from the operations manager and a chemical engineer. Got an offer months after by phone. I had the interview early in my first semester of junior year and got offered the position during finals week of that semester.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled a situation in which safety was an issue and what did you do to fix the problem?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because it is an internship.

Finance (Rotational Development Program) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tesoro Corporation (Austin, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Didn't take long. Standard behavioral interview. wanted to know about accounting and finance course work. interested in experience with excel, and the particular guys talked a lot about ebita or earnings before interest taxes and amortization.

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself. what are the components of GDP   Answer Question