Tesoro Refining and Marketing

Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Newark, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Tesoro Refining and Marketing in May 2010.

Interview Details – On line and if considered will be asked for personal interview

Interview Question – Most significant achievement related to position applied for.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation due to RAMs set mind of offer on the table.

Operator Interview

Operator
Martinez, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Tesoro Refining and Marketing.

Interview Details – Opportunities for hire come sporadically and are often advertised in local newspapers where the refinery is located in addition to the company's website. Complete your application with care. There is a real advantage to those who know a respected employee within the company and can place them as a reference. Other advantages include prior refinery experience, experience as a contractor having worked in a refinery, fire fighting experience and an education that is relevant to the refining industry. I was 1 applicant in 2500 that were permitted to apply. While I had a great internal reference, the testing and evaluation processes are timed and strictly evaluated. These include collegiate-level assessments that identifies your knowledge and understanding of math, physics, mechanics, vocabulary, problem solving, prioritizing, multi-tasking, and realistic scenarios in a production atmosphere. Multiple tests are given and only the top percentile is called back to continue testing - which takes weeks. Testing for me was handled at conference halls at a prominent hotel. Assessments include written and group activity sessions which are closely monitored by select leadership from the location hiring. If you pass one day of testing you are called for another. If your scores are low, you receive a letter by mail. Once a small group has been found to score well, these remaining applicants are required to submit to physical fitness checks which include a full physical, fitness tests, a drug test and a criminal background check. If you pass this you then move on to formal interviewing. You may be interviewed 2 to 3 times by panels of managers and supervisors who will ask situational questions to determine your responses. One of my interviews was by a panel of 6 managers/supervisors. Usually, they let you know how many people are being hired at once. For me I was 1 of 20 people. Getting in is a BIG DEAL. Thorough training is provided for many weeks/months and you are paid well during and after training. In my experience the company treated us all very, very well along this journey. Food and beverages were always provided as well as adequate breaks. The people were all very professional and accommodating in the interviewing and hiring process. For me, getting in to Tesoro gave me a six figure income each full year I was employed. The job requires a lot of training and certifying. You work a lot of hours to make $100K per year. You must find a balance with work and family or risk losing what is most important to you. - I strongly suggest you research the heck about how a refinery is set up and how it works before perusing this career path!!

Interview Question – Based upon your résumé you've never had refining or contracting experience in the refining industry. What brings you to this position now and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There's really no negotiation phase. You accept the offer as a unit operator in training or decline it. The pay is excellent even in the beginning. Today you may expect to hire on anywhere from $24 to $26 per hour. I started at $22 and after 6 years of training and certifications ended at $39 per hour. Not bad.

Operator Interview

Operator
Wilmington, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Tesoro Refining and Marketing.

Interview Details – Basic testing for the position was reading comprehension, mechanical apititude, basic math, etc...
It took about 2-3 weeks for an interview. Whcih was a panel interview with 3 people. An operational area manager, human resources person, and securities person. They ask basic questions about job experience. "Tell me about a time when you ressponded to an emergency" aka situational questions and things of that nature.
Exactly 2 weeks after the interview I recieved a call from someone in HR with a job offer. UPS delivered the physical copy of the job offer the next day. Then I had to take a physical at ASAP Drug solutions followed by another physical at Tesoro with a drug test. They perform a hair follicle test.

Job offer came in October, training started in January. Hope this ws helpful

Interview Question – they were all the same   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Clerk/Attendant Interview

Clerk/Attendant
Ukiah, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Tesoro Refining and Marketing in January 2008.

Interview Details – It changed when Tesoro acquired the sites. They removed the authority to hire and fire from the Store Managers. Now you get an app. online and submit it. They run a background check and it determines your status. And since Sept. 11 more and more Companies are doing it this way. Its sad I went and met the Mgr. talked to him and left with a job. Now You are Never any better than the worst you ever were. No matter how long ago.

Interview Question – Nothing At least if you know how to speak with confidence and know the business   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Keep your nose clean and have no criminal record. And you should be OK. Otherwise sorry about your luck.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Tesoro Refining and Marketing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tesoro Refining and Marketing interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Tesoro Refining and Marketing employees and interview candidates.