Texas Campaign for the Environment

Texas Campaign for the Environment Interview Questions

1.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at Texas Campaign for the Environment

Community Organizer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment.

The interview was not to long, only about 5-10 minutes. The director went over the basic role of a field organizer. They were very thorough in their explanation of the job and made me feel really empowered about coming back for the second interview which is called observation day. This second interview gave me a chance to see how the organization gets people involved and finds its supporters in the community. By the end of the interview I was ready to start right away, unfortunately I could not start until the next day.

Canvasser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment in February 2014.

They tell you about the romantic aspect of the job such as you are changing the world. But thy never detail what you actually have to do. I was not ask any real questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment in December 2013.

I saw the ad on Craigslist and called the office to set up an interview. They emailed me an application which I filled out and sent back. They had me come in for an in person interview at their office. I was given information about the campaigns to read while I waited. I spoke with the director for about 10 minutes. They went over TCE victories and current campaigns and explained what the work (canvassing) was. I was invited back for the second interview. It's a volunteer, unpaid day where you shadow a senior staff person around and they teach you how to canvass. You get an hour to try it out and see if its for you. Afterwards, I met back with the director and they said I was recommended for the job and I could start the next day!

Interview Questions
    • What are your environmental concerns? What about the ad prompted you to call for an interview?   View Answer
    $425/week is the pay.

Grassroots Organizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment in June 2013.

I was offered a position after answering a posting on craigslist.
    The interview process was painfully unprofessional.
    After filling out a skimpy resume and being told that this was an impartial group it was obvious that this was not the agenda of the organization. Bipartisanship was non existent.
    The interview lasted five minutes and I was given a job almost immediately.

Interview Questions
    • It is the easiest interview I have offered done. They take anyone was is at all interested in the job.   Answer Question
    N/A

Community Organizer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment in February 2013.

There is no interview process. You fill out the application, you do a volunteer day, they hire you.the person who "interviewed" me when i turned in my app didn't even look at it. It wan't until days later that a trainer asked me about the things that were on it.

Interview Questions
    • she only asked me if i was one of those people who was "ready to get out there and change the world".   View Answer
    There are no negotiations you make $400 a week. You are expected to raise double your salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment in January 2011.

When I called, I was asked a few questions about my political and environmental interests, then got scheduled for a first interview. Then I submitted an online application before I showed up at the office. The questions weren't that difficult, but were very personalized: why do I care about environmental issues and why do I believe I can do the kind of work necessary to make social change. It made me feel like my point of view really mattered, which was cool. I was also asked about my communication skills, then given a description of a typical workday. At the end, I was invited back for a second interview, which is a full day with the campaign staff shadowing one of the trainers. Getting to see how the job works before actually offering the position is a very smart way to do things. Everyone should do it like this, especially when you don't really know what "community organizing" entails before you apply for the job. At the end of the volunteer day (the second interview), I was offered the position and asked to commit to a paid training. Very happy that I did.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you care about the environment and why do you want to work to protect it?   Answer Question
    • How confident are you in your communication skills, dealing with strangers and educating them about issues that are important to you?   Answer Question

Canvasser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment in December 2010.

I submitted a resume and cover letter to the TCE email. About three days later I received a phone call and spoke with the interviewer. It lasted about 10 minutes and he invited me to come to a face-to-face interview at the HQ in Austin. That interview lasted about 15 minutes and consisted of me answering the question "Why did you apply for TCE?" The supervisor told me a little about the job and invited me to go to the observation day. On observation day we shadowed a field manager and watched them fundraise and campaign. About two hours before the day ended, we were allowed to go to houses by ourselves and try our luck with fundraising. We brought back any monies/letters we earned and either got a job offer or didn't. I got a job offer and we went back to the office to discuss benefits and so I could receive a new employee packet to fill out.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be a part of Texas Campaign for the Environment?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever fundraised before? Campaigned or advocated before?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment in September 2010.

They're very polite, respectful, and fun. Their hiring process is essentially you going out for a day with them, walking door to door with one of the more experienced canvassers, and then going off by yourself for the the last half hour or so to see if you're up for it.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't many questions, mostly just asking you if you could work the days specified, if you like working with people.   View Answer

Community Organizer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Texas Campaign for the Environment in February 2012.

I submitted my cover letter and resume in response to a job posting. About 24 hours later, I got a call back to schedule a first interview (called an "informational interview"), which I did. They asked me to fill out an application online and send it to the office manager. When I arrived at the office, I was greeted and asked to wait for just a moment before the director came out to get me. They had my application and resume in hand, which the director seemed to have looked over pretty thoroughly. The office had a cool, laid-back vibe, but definitely seemed like a place where they were getting things done. During the first interview, the director asked me why I want to do environmental organizing and about my communication skills. I also got a detailed explanation of what to expect on a typical day with the campaign staff. They explained the pay and the benefits and invited me in for a second interview, which was called an "observation day." On that day, I shadowed a trainer for several hours so I could learn the basic skills of the job and see a good organizer in action. I was also allowed to try it out on my own for an hour, which was very cool because I didn't really know how I'd do when it was my turn. I really like the fact that they asked me to spend an entire day with the staff because I didn't know what to expect when I applied and I learned a lot of new information and skills. At the end of the day, they offered me a Community Organizer position with 10 days of paid training. If you have an open mind, a sense of adventure and a real passion for changing the world (or at least environmental policies in Texas), you'll actually enjoy this interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to organize for the environment?   View Answer
    • Can you envision yourself communicating important issues to strangers in order to create environmental and social change?   View Answer