Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Updated Jul 15, 2015

2.8

Natural Resource Specialist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied at a job fair. They ran out of interview spots very quickly, but I ended up getting a call the next day asking me to come in for an interview. I went in for that interview the next day, so the process was very fast. I interviewed with two employees for about 45 minutes. The questions were pretty typical (how do you work under pressure, how do you prioritize work, etc).

Interview Questions

• They asked questions about the specific topic that the position would fall under.   Answer Question

Environmental Investigator V Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corpus Christi, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Corpus Christi, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

If you are selected, they call you for a choice of time you are available. You sign in at the regional office and wait for a few minutes until someone leads you to a conference room for the interview with 3 other people who will be your boss and you will be working with daily.

Engineering Technician I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Austin, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

There was only one interview, although during the interview I was told there would be a follow up interview with co-workers and supervisors. The hiring process for the department I applied for is outsourced to a University that is actually one of their clients/business partners. The hourly wage was discussed in the interview but did not seem very negotiable. A few days after the interview I consented online to a criminal background check and the next week I was emailed the new hire packet, before even being asked to accept the job offer. The questions were typical behavioral interview questions, with a big emphasis on being able to relate your skills, experience, etc. back to the specific job that you are being considered for. The interviewer was very nice, friendly, open and knowledgable, and seemed genuinely interested in choosing the best candidate.

Interview Questions

• What would you say is the most important leadership skill? And what can you gain or lose by using it or not using it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much.

Engineering Technician I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality in May 2014.

Interview

This was a job attained through a student hiring program. Once my resume was selected by the temporary agency, I was called by TCEQ and asked to schedule a phone interview. I was interviewed by three different people and it took a long time. Probably 45 minutes, it was pretty rigorous. At the end I was able to ask my own questions about the job, and I had a lot, so that was another 15-20 minutes. They were very friendly and professional. The questions ranged from standard to difficult, but I had prepared extensively so it was a good interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you handled an angry or frustrated customer, and how you handled it?   Answer Question
    • What methods do you use to ensure accuracy when handling and inputting data?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Because it was a student program, negotiation of salary and benefits wasn't an option. I was able to refuse or accept the job.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Austin, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

Detailed, organized, prepared for questions, know the company

Interview Questions

• How do ace the most difficult interview questions   1 Answer
    • What is your weaknesses   1 Answer
    • What are your strenghs   1 Answer
    • What is the most difficult task you experienced?   1 Answer

Environmental Investigator III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Houston, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

I was hired for the Houston office but at the time I was living in another city. They let me do a phone interview with them one morning and it ended up being a conference call with 4 people. The questions were not particularly difficult. No technical questions just questions about my work ethic and personality as well as questions regarding previous employment. They also wanted me to talk about a time when I came across difficulties in work or school, such as a time when working in a group was difficult or a time when I had to deal with a difficult patron and how I handled it. Overall it was not extremely difficult and it took about an hour for the interview. I got a call the following week telling me I was one of the top candidates from the interview process and got another phone call the following week informing me that I had received the position.

Interview Questions

• There were no tough questions, just ones where I needed to provide an example to a certain scenario they were inquiring about.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The company only allowed a certain salary so there was no negotiation range in that regard.

Engineering Specialist I Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.

Interview

The initial communication is by email. Then you will receive a phone call from the hiring manager if you are a candidate they are looking to interview. Once you receive a call they will schedule either a phone interview or an in person interview. If you make it pass the interview they will offer the job to you.

Interview Questions

• These question were not difficult at all. They just ask questions alone the line of how organized you are and how you meet deadlines.   Answer Question

Natural Resource Specialist II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Austin, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

The overall hiring process (from the time I applied to the time I was hired) took about four months. The interview was not too hard, only a few technical questions, the rest were standard "how would you handle this situation" type questions. I interviewed in front of four people and each person asked questions. The interview took about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you used diplomacy and tact to handle it.   Answer Question

Environmental Investigator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Houston, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

I arrived to the interview about 15 mins early and they asked me about 10 standard questions and they recorded what my replies were. They then had me complete a written answer to the last question and they said they thanked me for the interview

Interview Questions

• (written question) ... I am doing an investigation and upon completion of my investigation I bring the problems to the plant manager and the plant manager says I am going to go under what should the env. investigator do   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant I - !!! Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied and about 3 weeks later I received a phone call for an interview. The interview went well. The hiring manager was really nice and asked all the basic questions. Why do you want to work here? What skills do you bring to the table? They called me 2 weeks later with the job offer and I started maybe 3 weeks after that because I was relocating.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It's the state. There is no negotiating.