Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Updated Sep 28, 2014

2.7

Engineering Technician I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality in May 2014.

There was only one interview, although during the interview I was told there would be a follow up interview with co-workers and supervisors. The hiring process for the department I applied for is outsourced to a University that is actually one of their clients/business partners. The hourly wage was discussed in the interview but did not seem very negotiable. A few days after the interview I consented online to a criminal background check and the next week I was emailed the new hire packet, before even being asked to accept the job offer.

The questions were typical behavioral interview questions, with a big emphasis on being able to relate your skills, experience, etc. back to the specific job that you are being considered for. The interviewer was very nice, friendly, open and knowledgable, and seemed genuinely interested in choosing the best candidate.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say is the most important leadership skill? And what can you gain or lose by using it or not using it?   View Answer
    Not much.

Engineering Technician I Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality in May 2014.

This was a job attained through a student hiring program. Once my resume was selected by the temporary agency, I was called by TCEQ and asked to schedule a phone interview. I was interviewed by three different people and it took a long time. Probably 45 minutes, it was pretty rigorous. At the end I was able to ask my own questions about the job, and I had a lot, so that was another 15-20 minutes. They were very friendly and professional. The questions ranged from standard to difficult, but I had prepared extensively so it was a good interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you handled an angry or frustrated customer, and how you handled it?   Answer Question
    • What methods do you use to ensure accuracy when handling and inputting data?   Answer Question
    Because it was a student program, negotiation of salary and benefits wasn't an option. I was able to refuse or accept the job.

Environmental Investigator III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality in April 2014.

I was hired for the Houston office but at the time I was living in another city. They let me do a phone interview with them one morning and it ended up being a conference call with 4 people. The questions were not particularly difficult. No technical questions just questions about my work ethic and personality as well as questions regarding previous employment. They also wanted me to talk about a time when I came across difficulties in work or school, such as a time when working in a group was difficult or a time when I had to deal with a difficult patron and how I handled it. Overall it was not extremely difficult and it took about an hour for the interview. I got a call the following week telling me I was one of the top candidates from the interview process and got another phone call the following week informing me that I had received the position.

Interview Questions
    • There were no tough questions, just ones where I needed to provide an example to a certain scenario they were inquiring about.   Answer Question
    The company only allowed a certain salary so there was no negotiation range in that regard.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality in April 2014.

Detailed, organized, prepared for questions, know the company

Engineering Specialist I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.

The initial communication is by email. Then you will receive a phone call from the hiring manager if you are a candidate they are looking to interview. Once you receive a call they will schedule either a phone interview or an in person interview. If you make it pass the interview they will offer the job to you.

Interview Questions
    • These question were not difficult at all. They just ask questions alone the line of how organized you are and how you meet deadlines.   Answer Question

Environmental Investigator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality in October 2013.

I arrived to the interview about 15 mins early and they asked me about 10 standard questions and they recorded what my replies were. They then had me complete a written answer to the last question and they said they thanked me for the interview

Interview Questions
    • (written question) ... I am doing an investigation and upon completion of my investigation I bring the problems to the plant manager and the plant manager says I am going to go under what should the env. investigator do   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant I - !!! Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.

I applied and about 3 weeks later I received a phone call for an interview. The interview went well. The hiring manager was really nice and asked all the basic questions. Why do you want to work here? What skills do you bring to the table?

They called me 2 weeks later with the job offer and I started maybe 3 weeks after that because I was relocating.

Interview Questions
    It's the state. There is no negotiating.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality in November 2011.

I was asked to apply for the position by Management. I submitted my application and received an interview a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a specific situation when you disagreed with your supervisor (assume neither view was in violation of any policies or procedures). Discuss how you handled the disagreement. What was the outcome?   View Answer
    I was easy and simple because we are not allowed to negotiate the salary amount (it's a set amount for the position).

Audit Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality in October 2008.

I applied for the position of Audit Manager in this state agency after learning about it from a friend. The application was filled out on line, but had to be mailed/faxed. The invitation came about one week later in letter form with directions attached. The interview was conducted by the Chief Auditor and an Audit Manager. They had prepared questions, which were generic, mostly to get an impression of my managerial and people skills. There were no audit questions, per se. The Chief Auditor described the duties of the vacant position and benefits. The interview took place in a small conference room in the afternoon and it was blazing hot. Everyone was pleasant and helpful, and I was given a walk-thru of the suite including introductions to staff. About five days later, the Chief Auditor called to tell me that I had not been selected for the position that I interviewed for, but he offered me a new position as the Information Technology Audit Manager. He informed me of the salary and expected start date. I accepted the offer. Subsequently, I learned that the state agency had a predefined hiring process for all hiring managers to follow and that these managers had received training in the approved hiring process.

Interview Questions
    I accepted the initial offer for a couple reasons. First, I had been retired for nearly three years which created a gap in my employment history except for volunteer work. Second, due to this break in employment, I felt my skills were a little rusty and appreciated being given a chance to demonstrate my worthwhileness (if that's a word). My advice to older workers returning to full time employment, be prepared to demonstrate your continued involvement in your chosen profession by attending professional group meetings, maintaining your affiliation with professional groups, and keeping up your professional certifications/licenses (CPEs).

Emissions Evaluator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality in January 2007.

It took a long time between my application submission and the actual interview. When I finally did get an interview, it consisted of a series of questions by my [future] boss and another team member in a private office. The questions were fairly standard "Describe a time when you had to..." or "What would you do if..." kinda stuff. Having a diversity of past experiences helps with answering the questions, otherwise you're sitting there trying to recall a time when such-and-such happened that you had to deal with and then explain it to the interviewer. I had to perform a skills test by putting several pieces together to make a functional device. There was also a writting skills test. Since the State is an equal opportunity employer, they go to great lengths to remove bias. There will usually be two interviewers, different in some way (race, age, sex, etc.), and the answers to the questions will be submitted to HR for scoring. The interviews are scored, ranked based on score, and they start calling applicants from the top of the list.....

Interview Questions
    • Describe one time when you had a disagreement with your superior and tell how you handled the situation.   Answer Question
    State government jobs are non-negotiable.