Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts

Updated Aug 25, 2015

3.4

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

After the interview, I was certain I wouldn't be offered the job because the interviewers made negative remarks and rolled their eyes during the required presentation. I was surprised to receive a job offer. Though the financial compensation and benefits were great I turned it down due to the work environment.

Enforcement Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Two interviewers will write down everything you say, and the questions range from what you know to what you would do in different situations. After that, they have a short math and phone quiz. Finally, they detail you the job duties and review over the questions they asked in the first part, just this time with answers as to what you should do in those situations.

Interview Questions

• The questions varied between personal and professional questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a point based system with about 20 oral accounting questions and about 5-6 behavior questions. You have about 2 interviewers on each side of you. You can't ask any clarification questions and they will only repeat the actual interview question. Some of the questions were accounting, but others consisted of what kind of companies use certain schedules and etc.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied via Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts website, about 15 minutes before the application deadline passed. I got a call after a day to schedule an interview for the following week. The interview lasted roughly 30 minutes and was conducted by 2 interviewers. They asked me around 20 questions, with 15 being accounting/audit-related and 5 basic "Tell me about yourself" questions. After that, a writing about internal control.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online, got a call in about 2 weeks for a phone interview. Soon after I was asked to come in for a face to face interview. Interview is about 20 minutes, 20 questions( read out from a questionnaire)

Interview Questions

• What statement to look for expenses, which entity has a president, what is AR? There was a writing portion which was about internal control over financial reporting.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Houston, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied via my school's career services website and through their website, about 2-3 days before the application deadline passed. I got a call around 2 days later to schedule an interview for the following week. The interview lasted roughly 30 minutes and was conducted by 2 interviewers. They asked me around 20 questions, with 15 being accounting/audit-related and 5 basic "Tell me about yourself" questions. I was then asked to write a letter to a tax client to reschedule a meeting. Overall, the process was not unpleasant, but it felt impersonal. As far as the questions go, make sure to know your basic accounting principles and brush up on what the Comptroller office does and learn some of the taxes that they deal with.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.

Interview

The hiring processing is different from other companies. First, there is a phone interview. Followed by a panel interview with 2-3 people. One to two people are writing your responses, while the other asks questions. You will be called to get a finger print if you are selected. Full background checks follow. They will not tell you that you were chosen, just that you need to get a finger print. So if you have not heard back to be finger printed in about 4-6 weeks after the interview, you did not get the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non-Negotiable

Auditor I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in June 2014.

Interview

Interviewed by a panel of two managers. I suggest you study your accounting principals and know what the TX cpa does and what type of taxes it collects . This is not your typical interview, they don't care where you work or what did.

Tax Compliance Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bryan, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Bryan, TX).

Interview

Initial communication upon receiving an email of interest is setting up a phone interview to speak with HR. Upon getting the nod for a in person interview, you will interview with the office manger as well as supervisor.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Entry level position salary is public information based on a pay-scale. No Negotiation

Auditor I Interview

Interview

Two interviewers. Ask you about 20-25 questions about your knowledge in auditing. And the a short essay at the end.