Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts

Average Difficulty
27 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Auditor I

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in June 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed by a panel of two managers. I suggest you study your accounting principals and know what the TX cpa does and what type of taxes it collects . This is not your typical interview, they don't care where you work or what did.

Interview Questions

Tax Compliance Officer Interview

Tax Compliance Officer
Bryan, TX

I applied online and interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.

Interview Details – Initial communication upon receiving an email of interest is setting up a phone interview to speak with HR. Upon getting the nod for a in person interview, you will interview with the office manger as well as supervisor.

Interview Question – How you handle conflicts.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Entry level position salary is public information based on a pay-scale. No Negotiation

Interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts

Interview Details – Two interviewers. Ask you about 20-25 questions about your knowledge in auditing. And the a short essay at the end.

Very Difficult Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through my University's website. They emailed me with time slots to go in for the interview. Don't expect any normal interview, if you are nervous about the "tell me about yourself" questions, don't worry about that, because they don't care. Two upper levels will interview you, one will ask the questions, the other will stare at you and write your responses down. The interviewer literally just reads from a questionnaire, which was exactly like an audit exam, so prepare to take an oral exam.

Interview Question – If you haven't taken Audit from school in a while, or never had auditing experience, be prepared to not know what financial statements to look at or what you should do in certain situations.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts

Interview Details – I applied online and interview in the office in New York. I met 1 manager and there is a list of questions that she read from the paper. Interview is not interactive.

Interview Question – Describe a time you make a difficult decision   Answer Question

Accounts Examiner Interview

Accounts Examiner

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, was then called a week later. When I arrived, Interview consisted of answering a list of about 18 questions to a panel of 3. Then they gave me 20 min to take a test. Just some basic math and proof reading a business letter.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Auditor I

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in September 2011.

Interview Details – In-office interview consisted of about 35 questions or so that were very detailed in regards to Accounting and behavioral questions.

Interview Question – There was a typing portion of the interview in which you had to read a situation and type a memo to the company CEO explaining the problem and ways to fix it   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No ability to negotiate salary since it is a state job

Data Services Intern Interview

Data Services Intern
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online through their website in May. It took two months to hear back from the office. Once I heard back, I had a phone interview. It lasted about one hour long. I thought it had gone poorly. About a week later, I was asked to go get my finger prints and submit it for a background check. I was quickly offered the position after that.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for this third week of September. Received a phone call for interview about two weeks later. The interview process was quite different from the usual interview one prepares for. Asked about 20 question from a panel of two. Most questions was basic accounting questions. Advice; read the manual on the website and review thoroughly your acting basics. It helped! Also be prepared for few behavioral questions.

Interview Question – What are accounting principles?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied before the application deadline and received a call back about 3 days later. The call gauged my interest and was also for scheduling an interview. I was given various dates and time for the interview to occur. The interview dates were 2 weeks out from the date of the call. After the call I was sent an e-mail with instructions for the interview on documents I needed to bring and instructions on entering the building.

I arrived and met with one of the two people who would I be interviewed by. I was taken to a conference room by both of the interviewers and was given the instructions for the interview. There would be two parts to the interview a Q&A section followed by a timed writing sample. There would be about 20 questions asked and I could pass on a question and come back to it at the end of the interview. The biggest stipulation was that they could not provide any clarity on the questions that they asked, but could only repeat them.

The interview was pretty easy, low stress, didn't feel a lot of pressure. The questions were basic accounting issues relating to journal entries, cash/tax basis accounting, expense and purchase entries, general journal and ledger. There were also some business related questions about various types of entities and the membership or setup of their company.

The writing sample asked me to write a letter to a controller of a company to set up a meeting to discuss discrepancies between various financial documents.

Interview Question – What kind of entities have members?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts interview questions and advice. All 27 interview reviews posted anonymously by Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts employees and interview candidates.