Texas Department of Criminal Justice

Updated Jan 23, 2015
Updated Jan 23, 2015

2.1

Correctional Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice in January 2015.

after taking test had interview.The background check only took 3 business days.They called me an said they completed my application and i was hired.I think former military speed things up.I report to academy in 2 weeks for physical Test and then start the next day.

none

District Parole Officer I Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

I applied for this position back in January 2009 after 6 months of waiting I received a call and was scheduled for an interview at my local district parole office. For the interview, I was introduced to the Assistant Regional Director and 4 Unit Supervisors. None of the unit supervisors asked me any questions, only the Assistant Director. This interview was very structured, questions pertained to Behavioral circumstances, i.e, How would you approach the situation if your offender told you he had just committed a crime? After my 45 minute interview I was thanked for my time and was told that they will reach their decision within the two week period and notify me if I was chosen.

Interview Questions
    • This type of interview requires you to really think on your feet about situations you may not be used to seeing yourself in especially when they ask you a situational question pertaining to a gun being at a home your are visiting for an offender, what would you do?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation with salary. What is posted on the website is what you get.

Correctional Officer Interview

Just asked if I have ever worked as part of a team, lady that did interview had nothing to do with the prison you were going to work at or anything.

Lieutenant of Correctional Officers Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Make sure you fill out your application fully, do not leave any blanks and make certain you double check your spelling. When listing the total number of employees you supervised be sure to give the break down in the summary of that job. Be sure to include how you used training to do your job and don't oversell yourself. In the interview process be sure to maintain eye contact and don't look beyond the interviewer or your watch- Questions may be presumptuous and there may not be a "correct" answer but a more logic one. Use your common sense - that's something our agency seems to lack. The overall agenda is to maintain custody and control and to reintegrate into society - that does not me we beat up convicts or rough house, it's more about running a business and keeping the overhead in mind while doing the daily tasks.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference in enabling and empowering your employees. and How would you empower your employees?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation phase - TDCJ is salary based and your rank and months of service determines your pay on a scale. The more capable and "better" employees do not make more money than the others.

Panel interview conducted. It is near impossible to prepare for the interview, as they have very generic job descriptions which give you no insight as to what types of questions will be asked. Hiring Managers seem only to care about your ability to give a raving public speaking presentation than your actual qualifications and proven track record of successes. They asked extremely job-specific questions and said that your answers had to be based on directly related experience, despite the fact that my qualifications and experience were deemed sufficient based on the original job ad. I have a feeling they already had an internal employee in mind who was moving up the ladder based on their blatant aloofness and disinterest in me as a candidate.

Correctional Officer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Asked simple questions and I gave simple answers

Parole Officer, Review & Release Processing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice in April 2013.

Two individuals were in the room. I was escorted to the room where I was to be interviewed. The woman sitting at the desk identified herself as the director. She appeared to be very indifferent and acted as though she had already offered someone else the job because she acted very apathetic and conducted the interview as though it was just a formality and wanted to get it over with. The other woman was the supervisor and sat in a chair at the other end of where I was instructed to sit. Director asked the questions in a robotic manner and refused to elaborate, insisting on simply repeating the question. She didn't invite me to shake her hand neither upon meeting or departing. Very uncomfortable interview. Their loss, I have a proven track-record of success.

Interview Questions
    • Asked a couple of questions pertaining to hundreds of pages from the dense Government Code. How on earth they expected me to recall the specific answers to their questions is beyond me.   Answer Question

Parole Officer Interview

App submitted..call back 1year later...interview conducted by regional directors...panel style interview...questions based on sheet of paper provided when you check-in.

Programmer/Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Very formalized. The interviewer read a list of questions and offered no explanations or conversation. It was very one-sided.

Clerk II Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice in February 2013.

I printed the application on line but had to manually fill it out and mail it. I waited a week and got a phonemail asking me to call to make an appointment for an interview. The next day I got a phone mail telling me when my interview was. I ended up having to make a doctor appointment at almost the same time so I had to call and change the appointment from 1 pm to 2:20 pm. It was the same day I also had a job interview at 9 am 54 miles away. This interview was only 24 miles away. It was not quite so rural. I was not as difficult to find the door. This one was clearly marked. I was only allowed to bring my keys, id, and documents in a clear plastic bag. The interview was not conducted by the person I had been told it would be. There were 2 people in the room but one of the only spoke to introduce himself and say "nice meeting you" at the end. It started out sounding like I was being given a standardized test. Then it sounded like a trial. I was given a "board" of standardized questions. All of them were diffirent from the ones I was asked at the earlier interview. Most of them were pretty much regular job interview questions. I was not given a drug test but I knew the final candidate would be.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you disagreed with what your supervisor wanted go to do and how you handled it.   Answer Question