Texas Department of Criminal Justice

Updated Aug 12, 2015

2.2

Typing Clerk -II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice (Dallas, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

My interview was scheduled for 1pm. I was not called in until 1:40. The interview was quick, maybe five questions. I might have spent 15 min with the two women interviewing me. At the end, they asked me if I had any questions. I really didn't have any questions, but used this time to let them know that I had gone through the website and mentioned the mission statement and other points of interest I came across. After the interview I had to meet with Human Resources and give them my college transcript. I thought I would be given a typing test, but no testing was done. I have not heard back either way on the outcome of the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle having multiple tasks and limited time?   1 Answer
    • It is lunch time and the other clerk is late getting back from lunch. You haven't had a break and you are hungry. Phone calls are coming in and there are customers at the window. What do you do?   1 Answer
    • You have several reports that need to be done and you don't enough time, how do you handle it?   1 Answer

Correctional Officer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice (Huntsville, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Went in took test. Passed. They asked me to come back in 2 hours for interview. They run your background while you are filling out paperwork befoe the testing. Three people had to leave or be arrested for outstanding warrants. I was called back about four weeks later. The interview was very simple and to the point.

Correctional Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice in January 2015.

Interview

after taking test had interview.The background check only took 3 business days.They called me an said they completed my application and i was hired.I think former military speed things up.I report to academy in 2 weeks for physical Test and then start the next day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Correctional Officer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice (Huntsville, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Behavioral interview before a board and no questions are permitted until the end. You are not allowed to ask a question or as for clarification. It is a very strict process.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you asked for additional assignment and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation other than the starting time.

District Parole Officer I Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Interview

I applied for this position back in January 2009 after 6 months of waiting I received a call and was scheduled for an interview at my local district parole office. For the interview, I was introduced to the Assistant Regional Director and 4 Unit Supervisors. None of the unit supervisors asked me any questions, only the Assistant Director. This interview was very structured, questions pertained to Behavioral circumstances, i.e, How would you approach the situation if your offender told you he had just committed a crime? After my 45 minute interview I was thanked for my time and was told that they will reach their decision within the two week period and notify me if I was chosen.

Interview Questions

• This type of interview requires you to really think on your feet about situations you may not be used to seeing yourself in especially when they ask you a situational question pertaining to a gun being at a home your are visiting for an offender, what would you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation with salary. What is posted on the website is what you get.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice (Huntsville, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

I wrote exam that day and i was told i passed it. I was told to wait for the interview and after the interview i was told they were going to give me a call

Interview Questions

• why do you want to join tdcj?   1 Answer

IT Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice (Arlington, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

I filled up an application online at the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), then went ahead and wrote a skill assessment test. I was invited for a physical interview with a panel consisting of four IT Professionals. Having passed that, I was asked to go for dug test, then my background and credit check.

Correctional Officer Interview

Interview

Just asked if I have ever worked as part of a team, lady that did interview had nothing to do with the prison you were going to work at or anything.

Lieutenant of Correctional Officers Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Interview

Make sure you fill out your application fully, do not leave any blanks and make certain you double check your spelling. When listing the total number of employees you supervised be sure to give the break down in the summary of that job. Be sure to include how you used training to do your job and don't oversell yourself. In the interview process be sure to maintain eye contact and don't look beyond the interviewer or your watch- Questions may be presumptuous and there may not be a "correct" answer but a more logic one. Use your common sense - that's something our agency seems to lack. The overall agenda is to maintain custody and control and to reintegrate into society - that does not me we beat up convicts or rough house, it's more about running a business and keeping the overhead in mind while doing the daily tasks.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference in enabling and empowering your employees. and How would you empower your employees?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase - TDCJ is salary based and your rank and months of service determines your pay on a scale. The more capable and "better" employees do not make more money than the others.

Interview

Panel interview conducted. It is near impossible to prepare for the interview, as they have very generic job descriptions which give you no insight as to what types of questions will be asked. Hiring Managers seem only to care about your ability to give a raving public speaking presentation than your actual qualifications and proven track record of successes. They asked extremely job-specific questions and said that your answers had to be based on directly related experience, despite the fact that my qualifications and experience were deemed sufficient based on the original job ad. I have a feeling they already had an internal employee in mind who was moving up the ladder based on their blatant aloofness and disinterest in me as a candidate.