Texas Department of Criminal Justice

Relevance Date Difficulty

Correctional Officer IV Interview

Correctional Officer IV
Huntsville, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice in May 2010.

Interview Details – Easy. Fill out application and wait 3-4 weeks. Call back continuously to check status of your application.

Interview Question – All questions are common sense and security related. Most answers are to always notify a supervisor.   Answer Question

Huntsville, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice in May 2010.

Interview Details – take the test, then the interview after 45 days.

Interview Question – what will you do if you see an offender on the fence?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – it is clear

Interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice

Interview Details – Just asked if I have ever worked as part of a team, lady that did interview had nothing to do with the prison you were going to work at or anything.

Lieutenant of Correctional Officers Interview

Lieutenant of Correctional Officers

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Interview Details – Make sure you fill out your application fully, do not leave any blanks and make certain you double check your spelling. When listing the total number of employees you supervised be sure to give the break down in the summary of that job. Be sure to include how you used training to do your job and don't oversell yourself. In the interview process be sure to maintain eye contact and don't look beyond the interviewer or your watch- Questions may be presumptuous and there may not be a "correct" answer but a more logic one. Use your common sense - that's something our agency seems to lack. The overall agenda is to maintain custody and control and to reintegrate into society - that does not me we beat up convicts or rough house, it's more about running a business and keeping the overhead in mind while doing the daily tasks.

Interview Question – What is the difference in enabling and empowering your employees. and How would you empower your employees?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase - TDCJ is salary based and your rank and months of service determines your pay on a scale. The more capable and "better" employees do not make more money than the others.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Administrative Assistant II
Amarillo, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice in May 2012.

Interview Details – Submit application via mail to HR.

Interview Question – What do you think the function of the Board is?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant III - Executive Clemency Interview

Administrative Assistant III - Executive Clemency

Interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice

Interview Details – Panel interview conducted. It is near impossible to prepare for the interview, as they have very generic job descriptions which give you no insight as to what types of questions will be asked. Hiring Managers seem only to care about your ability to give a raving public speaking presentation than your actual qualifications and proven track record of successes. They asked extremely job-specific questions and said that your answers had to be based on directly related experience, despite the fact that my qualifications and experience were deemed sufficient based on the original job ad. I have a feeling they already had an internal employee in mind who was moving up the ladder based on their blatant aloofness and disinterest in me as a candidate.

Correctional Officer

I applied online and interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Interview Details – Asked simple questions and I gave simple answers

Interview Question – There wasn't one.   Answer Question

Correctional Officer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice in April 2011.

Interview Details – You apply online and schedule to meet with a recruiter who gives you a very simple test pertaining to simple arithmetic, they test your memory by showing you a picture and asking you questions regarding that picture, and they also test your common sense by giving you several scenarios and you have to choose the best answer. If you pass the test you go on to an "interview" where the recruiter simply asks you why you want to become a Correctional Officer.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Parole Officer, Review & Release Processing Interview

Parole Officer, Review & Release Processing
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice in April 2013.

Interview Details – Two individuals were in the room. I was escorted to the room where I was to be interviewed. The woman sitting at the desk identified herself as the director. She appeared to be very indifferent and acted as though she had already offered someone else the job because she acted very apathetic and conducted the interview as though it was just a formality and wanted to get it over with. The other woman was the supervisor and sat in a chair at the other end of where I was instructed to sit. Director asked the questions in a robotic manner and refused to elaborate, insisting on simply repeating the question. She didn't invite me to shake her hand neither upon meeting or departing. Very uncomfortable interview. Their loss, I have a proven track-record of success.

Interview Question – Asked a couple of questions pertaining to hundreds of pages from the dense Government Code. How on earth they expected me to recall the specific answers to their questions is beyond me.   Answer Question

Huntsville, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Texas Department of Criminal Justice in December 2009.

Interview Details – Checked over education documentation a and identification, was more of a screening than an interview. Testing was extremely basic level. And one test required you to look at a picture then remember details of it later such as how many offenders were wearing jackets.

Interview Question – Looking at the picture and remembering details.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was no negotiation, salary was set.

Worked for Texas Department of Criminal Justice? Contribute to the Community!