Texas Department of Family and Protective Services

Updated Nov 24, 2014
Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.7

CW Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Texas Department of Family and Protective Services.

The interview process appeared to be Prepared and scripted. Did not include many deep and technical questions. Overall the process was a breeze. However, by it being a breeze there appeared to be no filters to weeding just anybody out.

CPS Investigator I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Killeen, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Killeen, TX

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Department of Family and Protective Services in September 2014.

I applied for this position in March 2014 and was finally called in for an interview in September. In June, I received an email to take a series of tests to determine my problem-solving ability, reasoning, judgement, and personality.

After a month of not hearing anything about anything, I received an email from the STARK testing agency stating they were sending my test packet to the state for further review. At the end of August, I received an email from the hiring specialist inviting me to a hiring fair.

I was asked to arrive before 12:15pm and was called back with about 15 other interviewees. After a half hour long presentation from current directors over the area, we were called back in order of arrival. I interviewed with the hiring specialist who sent my invitation and the director over the area of which I was hoping to be hired. The interview was about another half hour to 45 minutes long. It was a basic STAR model (S-situation, T- Task, A-action, R-Resolution).There was a lot of focus on my ability to adjust to change in unexpected or stressful situations.You're given as much time as you need to answer the questions. I normally interview terribly, but I prepared before hand and thought of some situations that fit. The answers didn't necessarily have to be work related. It could be personal, volunteer, or job related. I luckily know some people within in the agency who were able to give me realistic descriptions of what to expect while on the job. When asked if I had any questions I didn't, but I wish I would've asked something!

I found the hiring staff to be quite pleasant and the presenters were knowledgeable and honest.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't find any of the questions especially difficult. If you've never been presented with a negative or difficult situation these questions will pose a problem for you.   Answer Question
    The starting pay is non-negotiable. Everyone starts at the same rate and is eligible for a raise after 9 months. My positions receives a stipend that remains provided I stay in the investigator position..

Works Advisor I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Department of Family and Protective Services in April 2014.

Applied several times online and received test via email from STARKS. Was only contacted for one interview out of the several times I applied. I applied in various locations, with the only one responding to me being at least an hour away!

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had a conflict with a coworker and if so how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • How do handle a customer, e.g., rude, suspicious, etc...?   Answer Question
    • Time management question   Answer Question
    • A few of your coworkers called in sick because of this you have to take on additional customers and you have 5 case files that needs to be turned in by the close of business, how would you handle this?   Answer Question
    • Tell us something about yourself that we may not know? (This is an optional question)   Answer Question

Child Protective Services Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of Family and Protective Services in March 2014.

The application process is a standard long application online. If selected you will then be sent a follow up email to take a test, basic math, english, and email test. The test is long but not too difficult. My application process took maybe 6 weeks, but I was applying out of state, and could not immediately interview for the position. The interview was okay, im a horrible interviewee and I got the job. They ask for you to give a scenario, the issue and how you resolved it for about 8 different questions. They also want you to bring 3 letters of recommendations from past employers.

Interview Questions
    • I am a horrible at interviews, and lose my train of thought, but if you are familiar with the format of questioning you will be okay   Answer Question
    The state has set salaries, so you can't negotiate much. They do pay individuals with social work degrees a little more. You can also get more if you are biligual and pass a test.

Residential Child Care Licensing Investigator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Department of Family and Protective Services in January 2014.

Like most DFPS jobs, the first step was applying on their web site. I did so and received an e-mail from their contractor (more on that in a bit) asking me to take a series of online tests.

DFPS has outsourced part of their hiring process to a 3rd party private sector contractor. Their initial e-mail (possibly computer generated....) was supposed to include two codes for two sets of tests. However, the e-mail only included one code and the other field was blank. I immediately (same day) sent an e-mail to their support e-mail address informing them that I needed the other code. In the mean time, I took the first set of tests that the first code unlocked. I still needed the second code to complete the others, however. I gave it about two days and received no response, so I sent an additional follow-up e-mail. Never heard anything back.

Then a few days later, I received an obviously computer generated e-mail reminding me to take the tests. This one had a new support e-mail address on it. I e-mailed that support address only to have my e-mail bounce back because the address was invalid. (E-mail is the only contact information they made available) So I think to myself, ok, out of luck on this job. (This should have been red flag number one)

Then about two weeks later I receive an actual e-mail from a human with an actual human e-mail address reminding me to take the tests. I immediately e-mail him letting him know my original e-mail did not include the second code that I needed and I would like the code to take the tests.

I then received a very short, curt, and unprofessionally written e-mail back basically insinuating that I was lying and that they sent me the code to begin with. (Why would I lie about that? This is what happens when you outsource your hiring to another company....) Anyway, he sends me the second code and I proceed to take the tests. (This should have been red flag number two)

The tests were basically solid 12th grade level material. Since virtually all jobs at this agency require a B.A./B.S./B.S.W. at a minimum, you should have no problem with the material.

A few days later I received an e-mail telling me they are forwarding my application to management at the actual agency. (DFPS)

A few days later, I receive a phone call from a DFPS hiring manager telling me that he is scheduling me for an interview and has e-mailed me the details. Ok, great! So I get off the phone with him and check my e-mail. No e-mail from him. Check the spam folder. Nope, not here. I call him back immediately and let him know I don't have the e-mail. He sounds somewhat annoyed that I am calling him about this. Turns out he typed the wrong e-mail address and he then sends it to the correct address.

The e-mail is obviously cut and pasted. (used the salutation "Ms" when it should have been "Mr") It basically said that I needed to bring my social security card, three letters of reference, and my college transcripts.

The letters of reference needed to be from current and past supervisors. My current and past agency would not write such a letter due to agency policy and wanted DFPS to call HR. I e-mailed the DFPS HR manager who sent a highly informal e-mail back as if this was something he had never heard of before. Long story short, I was able to get the letters. (FYI - not getting them is a deal breaker)

So the morning of the interview finally arrives. I get to the building 45 mins early and find they have zero parking available. (FYI, plan for that) I find a parking spot around the corner and come in about 30 mins early.

I am greeted by a friendly member of the office staff who asks for my transcripts, social, and letters. I provide them as asked. She then asks me to sit in a chair within clear view of her computer monitor, and I got to spend the next 20 minutes watching her browse for and apply for jobs at other organizations while I fill out some paperwork that she provided me. (Should have been red flag number three)

So I then am greeted by a hiring manager who I felt was pseudo friendly who informs me that she and another supervisor will be doing my interview. So I go into a room with them for the interview. It ends up being an extremely standard STAR (situation, task, action, result) style interview. No tricky questions or anything like that. Very typical of the types of questions you would expect for this type of job.

I then ask them some questions. One of them looks like she is annoyed I have questions to ask (really?) and the other seems somewhat eager to answer them. They then concluded the interview and asked me to go take another test in another room. It was basically a written essay "What would you do in this scenario?" test.

I then said my goodbyes and left.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. I kept my answers strictly related to past work experiences. In retrospect, it probably would have been a little better to possibly include some personal and/or college experiences.   Answer Question

I have worked for the three other government agencies & two private sector corporations, and this was by far the most negative hiring experience I have encountered. I felt that there were just too many red flags. At virtually every step of the process, they had messed something up on their end and came across unprofessional and annoyed when I informed them of the problem.

Further communications with them (particularly written) also came across unprofessional. Some of their e-mails (when they couldn't answer with a form letter) literally were written like something you would expect from a high school student e-mailing a random person. Considering two of their 7 or so tests I had to take to even get the interview were essay tests designed to measure writing skills, I found this somewhat ironic.

I already have a public sector job with (actually better) benefits and very similar pay. I only applied for this job because I wanted to do something closer to social services work. However, I decided it was not worth the risk of losing my current stable job to go to an agency that had so many issues in just the hiring process alone. If this was just the hiring process, what kind of issues would I be dealing with actually working for them?

CPS Investigation Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Department of Family and Protective Services.

After I applied it took a couple months to be called in for an interview. I had to complete some testing and bring a good amount of paperwork with me to the interview. Interview was 2:1 and it took about an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Something to the effect of: Have you ever had to work with someone from a lower SES? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Conservatorship Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Texas Department of Family and Protective Services in December 2013.

Went over paperwork required then asked about 5 essay type questions regarding situations I've been in relating to the job.

NA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of Family and Protective Services in December 2013.

Initial application is online. You'll be sent a link to follow to take some tests to measure reading, math, spacial, reasoning, and "manner"/business etiquette. You'll then wait one to three weeks for a face to face interview where youll be asked about your past jobs and education. Then you'll be sent an offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • There were 7 questions which asked things like "tell me about a time when you had to de-escalate a situation in your last position" etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiation with the state. Parts of the state offer sign on bonuses and 1,000 dollars of extra pay a month to help with living expenses (such as Odessa, Midland etc)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of Family and Protective Services in November 2013.

When I initially arrived at the office there was one girl there before me but as the time of the interview got closer the more people began to show up. It was probably about 11-12 girls waiting to be interviewed. When one of the hiring managers came in she asked who was there first, second (me), so on and so fourth so it did not look to good for the ones that showed up after 8:30/late. They took us to a conference room and went in order with interviews from the person who arrived first to the last. There were about 3 or 4 hiring managers and supervisors as well. When I walked in the room to interview there was a supervisor already in the room and the hiring manager who conducted the interview which was pretty intimidating at first. Before the question process the hiring manager asked me to answer the question in a specific way before the question process began. She asked me to tell her the issue (explain a mini background to what happen) then tell her what I did to overcome/resolve the issue. Something to that effect..some questions include:

What made you apply for this position?
    When was a time when you felt your work life was interfering with your personal life and how did you deal with it?
    Have you ever came across someone from a lower socioeconomic status at the work place? Do you feel comfortable with being around these type of people?
    Has there ever been a time where you planned something but had to cancel?
    There were probably about 8-10 questions total

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when there was a time a disaster.. what what did you do to get past that?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had to get information from someone that was unwilling to give you information   Answer Question
    • Are you naturally a nosey person? (not difficult but I thought that question was a bit weird/unexpected).   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable; start off at a certain salary

CPS Investigator Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Texas Department of Family and Protective Services in October 2013.

This interview was very easy, and you were made to feel at home. There were open ended questions answered. There weren't really any right or wrong answers. The purpose seemed as if they interviewers were moreso trying to feel you out as a person.