Texas Department of Public Safety

2.8

State Trooper Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety.

You first do a physical assessment. You take a physiological test. Submit to a drug test answer questions while being hooked up to a lot of texture machine. Then you go before board of individuals with different ranks total 7 people and answer situational questions their are posed.

Interview Questions
    You were not able to negotiate. My advice is be yourself because that's what you are selling yourself and the type of character you process. The most important thing they look for is a person that possess integrity and it very important you convey your level of integrity.

Java/Grails/Rails Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety in September 2014.

I got call the same day I filled out application online. I had interview with them on site. Interview was fairly very easy. There were total of 8-9 people taking your interview. There were no phone interview. Nobody asked me Tech questions but there were some very easy behavior questions.
    I got call the next day but I have rejected the offer because of following reason:
    1. I am the only person who will be required to be on call support at grave-yard shift as well as day shift.
    2. I will be working with only 1 part time contractor.
    3. Offer was very miserably low, but they claim that they have excellent benefit. I have worked for another state agency and I know how their benefits are. They do not give maximum range offer, so better don't get convinced by salary range written on job description.
    4. Work place and culture was very boring and I see pretty much all elderly working there.
    5. I have to give supports to multiple application developed by contractor who already left. i.e. Kind of Application Technical support role.

Interview Questions
    • Will you be working graveyard shift and give Application support to existing application?   Answer Question

very low offer, graveyard shift, poor work place & culture. Its 20% developer and 80% application technical support role.

Administration Interview

The hiring and interview process is rigged, they pencil in the scores and when they find a person they want to hire for the position they change the final scores with a pen. I've personally witnessed this. Also that 10 point swing for people whom have served in the military helps even though some are not qualified at all for the positions they've applied for

Interview Questions
    • They'll make up the questions as they go, and change them around. They won't ask the same two or three applicants the same questions to make the interviews a little more difficult for some   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety.

I applied online, due to the suggestions of one of the interviewers. I was sent an email, saying I was selected for the phone screening and if that went well, I would move on to the face-to-face panel interview. After a month after the deadline for the position closed, I received the email with a set time and date for the call and that it would run for about 30-45 minutes. I later received an email stating that I was not selected to move forward. I asked for feedback, and their 'reasons' for not selecting me were false, dishonest, and most likely due to the racial discrimination of one of the panelists.

Interview Questions
    • Did not expect to be treated rudely and unfairly by the only male interviewer. He purposely twisted my answers and would not let me clarify and interrupted me consistently so I could not get a full thought out (he obviously had no intention of letting me explain his 'misunderstanding'). These two questions (personality related, not professional) were used as reason for dropping me.   View Answer

Assistant Mitigation Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety.

I was interviewed by a hiring board made up of senior and junior members of the division. I was asked and open question about myself and what work I had done before. Then I was asked six questions about how I respond to different work situations. These were not terribly related to the position I was hired for.

Interview Questions
    • There were no "difficult" or "unexpected" questions asked   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety in January 2013.

I applied for the job in january got an interview 3 weeks later. I got the job offer late February. I was contacted by a state trooper in March in regards to a background check and did not start working until April. It was a 3 person pannel.

Interview Questions
    • What does being on time mean to you? Tell me about yourself? What are your strengths and weakness? Each person asked 3 questions.   Answer Question
    What they offer is what you get.

Security Officer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety in March 2012.

The process starts with an online application. You then move on to a military style board interview. The board is made up of security supervisors and security officers. You undergo a detailed background investigation overseen by a state trooper (records checks, associate interviews, employer interviews, home visit, etc). Then you go to work.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you found $100 on the floor while making your rounds?   Answer Question
    I

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waco, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waco, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety in March 2010.

Hiring process takes an average of 4 - 6 weeks to complete, including time spent conducting extensive background check. A contingent job offer is made based on the result of the background investigation. Once background investigation is complete, the job offer becomes official.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase. Positions are posted with set salary, benefits, etc.

Training Specialist Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Texas Department of Public Safety.

Fill out application, initial screening through HR, make sure you have all the requirements (time and experience) listed in all you previous job descriptions. App is reviewed by HR and then goes to the manager for review and then pick 10 out of all the apps. Interview is a board interview where sometimes you are asked to give a short presentation.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, it is the State, they offer, you accept or don't