Texas Department of State Health Services

Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Specialist II Interview

Program Specialist II
Houston, TX

I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services in June 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process were very straightforward. I applied online via the online application. I was contacted for a phone interview, and within about 1-2 weeks, was called in for an in-person interview. Before the in-person interview, I was given a packet of the questions they would be asking me in the interview. They were a mixture of behavioral and technical questions. During the interview, I had a chance to use my notes from the packet to answer the questions. There were 4 interviewers in the room, all from the program I ended up working for.

Interview Question – I was not expecting technical public health questions, so this threw me off. But I was able to answer successfully.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services.

Interview Details – Interview was before a board of three people, one of them the hiring manager and the other two were peers. I was given 10 minutes to look over the questions and gather my thoughts before the interview started. There were 10 questions, then a practical, which was creating a sample document.

Interview Question – Several of the questions were definitely geared towards individuals who had been working in the unit already. There was specific knowledge needed, but still giving the best answer you can using your experience in other roles can still lead to success.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This is with the State, so there is no negotiation.

TEXAS WORKS ADVISOR I Interview

TEXAS WORKS ADVISOR I
Ennis, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services in July 2013.

Interview Details – Started out by applying through Texas Workforce Commission. After a week, I received my first correspondence email to take 5 assessments through STARK, which is the company they go through first. Once I passed those, which consisted of (General Math, Clerical, Typing, basic Questions of work ethic) I then received another email telling me I was moving forward in the process. Had few other forms to have read and signed over from this company. Afterwards, they sent my application to the state. Interview was said not guaranteed, but luckily I received communication from the HHSC for a interview 2 days later. Had the interview the following week. Took another 2 assessments (Clerical Exam, Math, Few interview questions were on test) afterwards interview was conducted. The verbal part of the interview was only 6 questions. Examples: How would you handle irate , hostile client" "why do you want to work here" "what is your thought of how customer service should be" "tell me a time when you had a group project and you didn't get along with a co worker, & how did you handle it". Was told would receiver email if didn't pass the test or was not a good fit. Literally a week after the interview, received an offer and accepted!

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you had a group project you had to finish and had to work with a co-worker you may not like. How did you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, set Salary. Probation period one year.

Administrative Assistant IV Interview

Administrative Assistant IV
Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services in November 2009.

Interview Details – Arrive at the location of the interview and was given time to review the questions before the interview began. During the interview there was a panel of three participants which alternated asking questions about the job and my relevant experience.

Interview Question – This position will require the employee to work proactively. Please provide at least two examples of how you have worked proactively in the past.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation happy with the offer.

Epidemiologist II Interview

Epidemiologist II

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by phone and asked to respond to a few simple questions. I was then invited to interview on site. The on site interview consisted of ~10 questions regarding big picture approaches to statistics/epidemiology and communication of material. There was then a SAS programming exercise that covered the basics as well as some simple epidemiology.

Interview Question – I'm not sure it was the most difficult but here's an example. "There's recently been a reported increase of tractor injuries in east Texas. How would you go about confirming the reports, what steps would you take to learn more about what can be done, and how would you communicate your findings?"   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Program Specialist VII Interview

Program Specialist VII
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services.

Interview Details – One hour interview with a panel of people. Then a second one hour panel interview a few weeks later. Was provided a a list of questions and fifteen minutes to prepare answers.

Interview Question – Can't recall.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Refused to negotiate salary.

Very Easy Interview

Chemist Interview

Chemist
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of a brief 15 minute period in which the interviewer provided me with the list of questions which were to be asked, allowing me to answer them on my own time, followed by a short 15-20 minute interview where the group leader and the team leader went over the questions, letting me answer them while they wrote down my answers. The questions were quite general, based on the job descriptions and my own experiences with the instrumentation that would be used. The questions are very reasonable given that it was an entry-level position, most likely geared towards recent college graduates.

I did feel like the interview was very passive, however this could be due to the format or other reasons.

Afterwards I was given a tour of the facilities.

Interview Question – There was a short math question involving chemical dilutions, but anyone with even a freshman level knowledge of chemistry would have no problems with it.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Inspector IV Interview

Inspector IV
Arlington, TX

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services in April 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was a panal and it was a very relaxed atmosphere. After the questions were asked, I was give 2 different tests.

Interview Questions

Program Specialist Interview

Program Specialist
Austin, TX

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services in February 2010.

Interview Details – Quick phone screen and then in person interview with three people. Questions are set in stone for them so not much out of the box questioning---or answering on the interviewee's part. Questions pertained to general abilities and specifics about the job. I was allowed to view questions for 15 minutes before interview started. I had notes so it was fairly easy to see what I would need to know for the interview with the advance notice on the exact questions.

Interview Question – What are the vaccines required for children?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible with state governement.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services in December 2010.

Interview Details – The interviews for the State are surprisingly simple, at least for my area. You are given a list of questions, the hiring manager leaves the room for 10 minutes while you write down as much as you can, then you go over your answers.

Worked for Texas Department of State Health Services? Contribute to the Community!