Texas Department of State Health Services

www.dshs.state.tx.us
  www.dshs.state.tx.us

Texas Department of State Health Services Interview Questions

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services.

Interview was before a board of three people, one of them the hiring manager and the other two were peers. I was given 10 minutes to look over the questions and gather my thoughts before the interview started. There were 10 questions, then a practical, which was creating a sample document.

Interview Questions
    • Several of the questions were definitely geared towards individuals who had been working in the unit already. There was specific knowledge needed, but still giving the best answer you can using your experience in other roles can still lead to success.   Answer Question
    This is with the State, so there is no negotiation.

TEXAS WORKS ADVISOR I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ennis, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ennis, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services in July 2013.

Started out by applying through Texas Workforce Commission. After a week, I received my first correspondence email to take 5 assessments through STARK, which is the company they go through first. Once I passed those, which consisted of (General Math, Clerical, Typing, basic Questions of work ethic) I then received another email telling me I was moving forward in the process. Had few other forms to have read and signed over from this company. Afterwards, they sent my application to the state. Interview was said not guaranteed, but luckily I received communication from the HHSC for a interview 2 days later. Had the interview the following week. Took another 2 assessments (Clerical Exam, Math, Few interview questions were on test) afterwards interview was conducted. The verbal part of the interview was only 6 questions. Examples: How would you handle irate , hostile client" "why do you want to work here" "what is your thought of how customer service should be" "tell me a time when you had a group project and you didn't get along with a co worker, & how did you handle it". Was told would receiver email if didn't pass the test or was not a good fit. Literally a week after the interview, received an offer and accepted!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had a group project you had to finish and had to work with a co-worker you may not like. How did you handle this situation?   Answer Question
    No negotiations, set Salary. Probation period one year.

Epidemiologist II Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services.

I was initially contacted by phone and asked to respond to a few simple questions. I was then invited to interview on site. The on site interview consisted of ~10 questions regarding big picture approaches to statistics/epidemiology and communication of material. There was then a SAS programming exercise that covered the basics as well as some simple epidemiology.

Interview Questions
    • I'm not sure it was the most difficult but here's an example. "There's recently been a reported increase of tractor injuries in east Texas. How would you go about confirming the reports, what steps would you take to learn more about what can be done, and how would you communicate your findings?"   Answer Question

Program Specialist VII Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services.

One hour interview with a panel of people. Then a second one hour panel interview a few weeks later. Was provided a a list of questions and fifteen minutes to prepare answers.

Interview Questions
    Refused to negotiate salary.

Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services.

The interview consisted of a brief 15 minute period in which the interviewer provided me with the list of questions which were to be asked, allowing me to answer them on my own time, followed by a short 15-20 minute interview where the group leader and the team leader went over the questions, letting me answer them while they wrote down my answers. The questions were quite general, based on the job descriptions and my own experiences with the instrumentation that would be used. The questions are very reasonable given that it was an entry-level position, most likely geared towards recent college graduates.

I did feel like the interview was very passive, however this could be due to the format or other reasons.

Afterwards I was given a tour of the facilities.

Interview Questions
    • There was a short math question involving chemical dilutions, but anyone with even a freshman level knowledge of chemistry would have no problems with it.   Answer Question

Program Specialist II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services in June 2012.

The hiring and interview process were very straightforward. I applied online via the online application. I was contacted for a phone interview, and within about 1-2 weeks, was called in for an in-person interview. Before the in-person interview, I was given a packet of the questions they would be asking me in the interview. They were a mixture of behavioral and technical questions. During the interview, I had a chance to use my notes from the packet to answer the questions. There were 4 interviewers in the room, all from the program I ended up working for.

Interview Questions
    • I was not expecting technical public health questions, so this threw me off. But I was able to answer successfully.   Answer Question

Inspector IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services in April 2012.

The interview was a panal and it was a very relaxed atmosphere. After the questions were asked, I was give 2 different tests.

Program Specialist V Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services in February 2011.

Standard application process followed by a 1-hour interview with 15 questions. The interviewer does not speak or ask questions. You read each question and provide an answer for each. They will not answer any questions outside of the list. At the end of the interview, I had five minutes to ask my interviewer my questions.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services in December 2010.

The interviews for the State are surprisingly simple, at least for my area. You are given a list of questions, the hiring manager leaves the room for 10 minutes while you write down as much as you can, then you go over your answers.

Public Health Tech II - HIV/STD Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texarkana, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texarkana, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services in May 2010.

Filled application online, phoned after aprox 10 days with an interview time. I had to drive 120 miles, as the interview was at their HQ in Tyler, TX. I was told to arrive 15 minutes early for a chance to see the questions I would be asked by a panel. I arrived 20 minutes early. I was given the questions and told to take as many notes as possible. The questions were actually a test, which had to be turned in at the end of the interview. The questions were directed at my clinical knowlege of HIV and STD disease process. Each interviewer took a turn asking a question, one after the other, in order. I had not prepared for these type of questions, or it would have been easy. I prepared for more psychological "what if" and "give examples of" type questions.
    I felt a bit overdressed in a blouse and dress slacks...everyone else was in jeans. The building was quite old and a bit grimy. The man in charge was middle aged with shoulder length hair and very overweight. In fact, most of the people I saw were kind of grimy and overweight. I had a decent interview, was not nervous, and I recalled more HIV detail than I thought I would, even with a veterans preference, I was not selected.
    I recommend anyone applying for a State job, print up the job description and study up on facts related to the position for which they are applying. In previous nursing/medical jobs, my diploma/license has vouched for my ability to learn new facts, and treatment of diseases within the scope of my practice. Don't drive 120 miles for an interview and expect to be at your best. In retrospect, I should have arrived the night before, gotten a hotel room, scoped out the interview site and spied a little. Don't second guess yourself, my gut told me I was over dressed for a state job...due to the client population, they want a person they feel can relate. I ignored myself and it cost me.

Interview Questions
    • Symptoms and treatments for HIV?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a cliet got angry or became violent in response to positive HIV test results?   Answer Question