Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Interviews for Top Jobs at Texas Department of State Health Services
- Microbiologist I (2)
- Manager (2)
- Epidemiologist II (1)
- Program Specialist II (1)
- Program Specialist V (1)
- Public Health Tech II - HIV/STD Investigator (1)
- Work Advisor (1)
- Texas Works Advisor II (1)
- Environmental Specialist IV (1)
- Inspector IV (1)
- TEXAS WORKS ADVISOR I (1)
- Program Specialist VII (1)
- Program Specialist III (Training Specialist IV) (1)
- Prevention Specialist I (1)
- Medical Technician (1)
- Administrative Assistant (1)
- Administrative Assistant IV (1)
- Accountant III (1)
- Program Specialist (1)
- Program Specialist VI (1)
- Registered Nurse (1)
- Chemist (1)
- Contract Specialist (1)
- Microbiologist (1)
- No OfferNeutral ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services (Arlington, TX).
I applied on 03/23... received call for interview on 05/05.... was handed interview questions to review before interview 10 min. ... In my opinion focus on job description and your experience in word, excell, access, Microsoft Office softwares and describe your experiences are more so give examples of what you've done... There aren't any behavior questions .... just experience focusing on the job description
- describe your experience with technical assistance and training? Answer Question
- No OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services (Houston, TX) in April 2015.
You are told to arrive 15 minutes prior to your interview time for an in-basket exercise, which lasted for 10 minutes. The exercise was to put together a powerpoint presentation which is used to test your knowledge of the department (i.e. Emergency preparedness) you'll be working for. Afterwards you are interviewed by a panel of three people, they'll ask you 8 questions one after the other.
- Have you ever been depolyed for an emergency? If so, how did you prepare for it? Answer Question
- Have you ever conducted a needs assessment? What are the important compenents of a needs assessment? Answer Question
- Have you ever had challenges while using a particular database? If so, what was it? Answer Question
- Have you ever conducted a training exercise? How did you go about it? Answer Question
- Declined OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services.
Submitted the online application. Received a telephone call confirming interest/availability for an interview. Received confirmation emails to include interview information and the job posting including salary. Interview began with a period of time where I was able to read/jot notes on the interview questions (alone). Then I was seated with three interviewers, who subsequently read the questions in turn and I responded. Afterwards I was able to ask some questions. Interview was timed and limited to one hour max.
- What is a SWOT analysis? Answer Question
- Accepted OfferNegative ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services (Austin, TX) in April 2014.
They will call you about a month or two after the posting is expired. So when you get a call you forget what job you applied for. You will be asked to schedule an in-basket (testing) if you pass then you come in for a face to face interview with a board.
- They ask you questions they have written out on paper, so you get 15 minutes to go over it before they ask you. Then they come in and start going over position and start asking a few questions. I don&#039;t believe any are good interview questions. They don&#039;t get to know what you really can do. Answer Question
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services (Rusk, TX) in March 2014.
The interview was nothing because so many people are needed for positions. They mainly tell you what type of place it is and what type of patients you will be taking care of.
- Do you show up for work. 1 Answer
There are no negotiations.
- Accepted OfferNeutral ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services.
Interview was before a board of three people, one of them the hiring manager and the other two were peers. I was given 10 minutes to look over the questions and gather my thoughts before the interview started. There were 10 questions, then a practical, which was creating a sample document.
- Several of the questions were definitely geared towards individuals who had been working in the unit already. There was specific knowledge needed, but still giving the best answer you can using your experience in other roles can still lead to success. Answer Question
This is with the State, so there is no negotiation.
Helpful (4)Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services (Ennis, TX) in July 2013.
Started out by applying through Texas Workforce Commission. After a week, I received my first correspondence email to take 5 assessments through STARK, which is the company they go through first. Once I passed those, which consisted of (General Math, Clerical, Typing, basic Questions of work ethic) I then received another email telling me I was moving forward in the process. Had few other forms to have read and signed over from this company. Afterwards, they sent my application to the state. Interview was said not guaranteed, but luckily I received communication from the HHSC for a interview 2 days later. Had the interview the following week. Took another 2 assessments (Clerical Exam, Math, Few interview questions were on test) afterwards interview was conducted. The verbal part of the interview was only 6 questions. Examples: How would you handle irate , hostile client" "why do you want to work here" "what is your thought of how customer service should be" "tell me a time when you had a group project and you didn't get along with a co worker, & how did you handle it". Was told would receiver email if didn't pass the test or was not a good fit. Literally a week after the interview, received an offer and accepted!
- Tell me about a time where you had a group project you had to finish and had to work with a co-worker you may not like. How did you handle this situation? Answer Question
No negotiations, set Salary. Probation period one year.
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services (Austin, TX) in May 2013.
Your interviewer should give you the 10 questions they will ask and give you about 15 minutes to review them and take notes. Some are specific to the job and some are specific to interpersonal skills- mainly how you deal with co-workers. Usually two people do the interview and they just ask you the same questions listed on your sheet. There should be no deviation from the sheet and there was some time at the end for me to ask some questions.
- Describe a time you had a disagreement with a co-worker. How did you resolve it? 1 Answer
Helpful (1)Accepted OfferNeutral ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services.
I was initially contacted by phone and asked to respond to a few simple questions. I was then invited to interview on site. The on site interview consisted of ~10 questions regarding big picture approaches to statistics/epidemiology and communication of material. There was then a SAS programming exercise that covered the basics as well as some simple epidemiology.
- I'm not sure it was the most difficult but here's an example. "There's recently been a reported increase of tractor injuries in east Texas. How would you go about confirming the reports, what steps would you take to learn more about what can be done, and how would you communicate your findings?" Answer Question
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Department of State Health Services (Austin, TX).
One hour interview with a panel of people. Then a second one hour panel interview a few weeks later. Was provided a a list of questions and fifteen minutes to prepare answers.
- Can't recall. Answer Question
Refused to negotiate salary.
Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Interview Review