Texas Health and Human Services Commission

Updated Oct 13, 2014
Updated Oct 13, 2014

2.2

Texas Work Advisor I Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission.

Applied online. Given an online assessment by a recruiting company a couple weeks later. Given an interview date and time. That process was conducted in a group format where I was given another assessment. If you pass then you can proceed with the interview. There were several people interviewing at one time meaning I met with someone while others were in the same room interviewing. Interview was quite easy. I was offered the position about 7 weeks after I interviewed.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Firm salary offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission in September 2014.

I visited the website and filled out the online application for the position of TX Works Advisor I on 8/17/2014. I received a thank you email for applying. The next day (8/18/2014), I received an email from Stark Talent to complete 4 assessments to continue the application process. The test topics included: Data Entry Alpha Numeric, Math and Reasoning, Microsoft Outlook and Call Center Customer Service Scenarios. I am a nervous and slow tester, so it took me about 3-4 hours to complete, but was very easy. There was other info in the email so read everything.

Two days later (8/20/2014), I was sent another email from Stark Talent asking me to update my contact information and to review the attachments (realistic job preview, information slides and reference check forms). I reviewed those and sent the reference check forms to my reference. Once again, read everything in the email. Even if your contact info is up to date complete the process because it confirms that you received the email and all of its attachments.

On 9/9/2014 (Tuesday), I received a call from the hiring manager's administrative assistant wanting to schedule an interview for that Friday (9/12/2014). I was asked to bring a picture id, high school/college transcripts (just college if you've graduated), signed copy of the realistic job preview (from the second Stark email), resume and reference check forms from employers over the last 3 years (forms also provided in second Stark email). She will also provide instructions on how to get to the room.

That Friday, I arrived with all my materials 30 minutes early. I sat in the conference room for about 40 minutes. His assistant arrived about 10 minutes late. She asked me to sign in. Afterwards, she took my drivers license and made a copy. She came back and instructed me that I needed to take an assessment and would be given 45 minutes to complete it. She provided pencils and calculators. The test was very easy and redundant. Review finding averages and basic addition and multiplication. There was also a list of food stamp policies that you need to apply to various situations.

I finished the test. The hiring manager came in just as I was handing it to his assistant and asked me to follow him. He didn't look at my test first or know if I had passed. He was very friendly. He told some jokes because he could tell I was nervous. He asked 5 easy questions and wrote down my answers. He informed me that they would run a background check. He gave me his card and told me to call if I hadn't heard anything in a week. I walked away knowing that I had the job even though he never said it.

Next Friday came and I was worried. I hadn't heard anything. Like he asked, I called back and he informed me that there had been no changes. Still waiting on my background check. But on Monday I received a call from his assistant offering me the position. :-)

Also, while all of this was taking place there was not one change reflected on the website. The status of my application was never updated between steps.

Interview Questions
    • There were 5 very easy questions that I can't really remember.

1) What do you consider to be major components of great communication? Provide 3.
      2) How do you practice these components in your life?
      3) Conflict with a coworker? How did you handle it?
      4) You may be given new assignments before finishing others. How will you handle it?
      5) How will you deal with irate customers?

I think those are all of them. I looked at all the questions provided in other reviews on Glassdoor and prepared answers. When he asked me these questions, I wasn't surprised.
        View Answer
    I didn't negotiate. I was just happy to have a job honestly. Lol. Ive heard you don't get to negotiate anyway.

N/A Interview

Pres-election occurs.
    Questions often in favor of those already working at location. The questions are often the same and if you have interviewed for a lower position then you have seen the questions. There are questions that only those who worked in that specific laboratory would be able to answer and they use this to allow them to make preferred decisions. Also if there is any difference between the resume, application or on questions then they will use that as well. That is the biggest problem and they knowingly do it.

Interview Questions
    • n/a All basic except a few which are in favor of a select few.   View Answer
    What negotiation?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Prairie, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission in August 2014.

The entire process took approximately 1 month to complete. I submitted my application at the end of July, received an email asking me to complete the assessments a week later or so. After I completed the assessments I was sent an Email a few hours later stating that they were putting my app in the interview pool.Two weeks later I was asked to interview at the end of the week which was a Friday, on the following Tuesday I was offered a position.There was another math aassessment that I had to pass before they pulled me back to speak with the interviewer.

No, it is a set salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Prairie, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission in July 2014.

Applied for position online in June the following week I was sent 4 assessments to take. Within 24 hours I received an email saying I was placed in an interview pool. One month later I was sent an interview date set for 3 weeks later. It's now October and my interview and application are still in screening for the position.
    Took a written math test when I arrived at the interview, took 5-10 minutes was the first finished. Oral interview took 10 minutes was generic customer services questions.
    Interviewer told me I would definitely hear back but she wasn't sure when.

CPS Investigator Trainee/I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission in July 2014.

I orginally applied 06/28/2014 and received an email to take the online assignment on 07/15/14..The 16th I received an email to come in for an interview on the 23rd. The interview was extremely easy. I was in their wit a hiring specialiast and a worker from the location where i will be working. They asked 8-10 questions and they wrote down your response as you answered the question. I was picked to move to the next phase in the process which was the background and finger print check. That took a week to come back and I was offered the position on 08/04/2014...they give you a chance to pick when you want to start just in case you may need to put your two weeks notice in.

Interview Questions
    • There were not difficult questions just answer what they ask try and expand on your answers..it looks good...   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase there is a set pay that you will receieve at the first of every month

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Prairie, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission in May 2014.

I completed the online application on May 1. May 2, I received an e-mail asking me to complete the 4 online assessment test which took about 2 hours to complete. May 3, I got the email saying that I completed the assessment and they would get in contact with me if my results were what they needed. May 9, I got an interview for May 19. I went to the interview which was a written assessment and a verbal interview if you passed. The assessment asked basic math questions that were a little tricky since you couldn't use a calculator. Refresh on how to divide and multiply decimals by hand. It wasn't very long though. I passed it and got the verbal interview where they ask you 6 questions that I was told are the same for everyone. You talk and answer the questions and the interviewer writes what you say. Very simple! It's not very personal so try to be a little personal by explaining your answers with examples from your experience. Overall, the interview lasted from 1 to 2:30. Get there early to get a seat because it's a large group of people in the room that do the assessments.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation on the salary.

Texas Work Advisor I Interview

If you apply for a position, be warned, it's a long process. The other reviews you read are pretty accurate regarding STARK, the written test and formal interview. For me, it was about 3 months from application to interview and acceptance of position. It will differ depending on need and location on how fast you are to be hired if you managed to pass all the necessary steps.

Interview Questions
    None. The posting makes it very clear... Returning employees perhaps a higher pay grade, new..not so much.

TEXAS WORKS ADVISOR I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission.

The interview itself was simple, but the hiring process is quite long. After applying online, I was called in for a test of my mathematical and critical thinking skills, as well as a one-on-one interview with a supervisor at the location. The test had approximately 8-9 questions that were pretty straightforward. The interview included typical questions about facing challenges and dealing with difficult clients. The supervisor let me know before conducting the interview that she would be writing many notes and that she might not look at me much during the process - this didn't bother me at all, but just make sure to speak clearly without going too fast. The offer didn't come until nearly two months after my initial interview.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty standard. Just relate answers back to helping others and focusing on client needs. For the test, read through the question thoroughly.   Answer Question
    No negotiation of salary - government job with monthly pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission in February 2014.

I applied online in October, shortly after i received an email from Stark to complete 4 assessments. There were 4 of the assessments. After i completed, i received another email from stark that i will be contacted by HHS if they consider me for an interview. I waited till December before i got a call. Interview was straight forward, i had to take a basic mathematics text regarding food stamp eligibility. After i was then interviewed by this awesome guy. Interview was easy as well.

Interview Questions
    • when was the time i encountered conflict with a coworker and how did i handle it.   View Answer
    This is a state job with a set salary, no negotiation.