Texas Health and Human Services Commission

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Grand Prairie, TX

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission in May 2014.

Interview Details – I completed the online application on May 1. May 2, I received an e-mail asking me to complete the 4 online assessment test which took about 2 hours to complete. May 3, I got the email saying that I completed the assessment and they would get in contact with me if my results were what they needed. May 9, I got an interview for May 19. I went to the interview which was a written assessment and a verbal interview if you passed. The assessment asked basic math questions that were a little tricky since you couldn't use a calculator. Refresh on how to divide and multiply decimals by hand. It wasn't very long though. I passed it and got the verbal interview where they ask you 6 questions that I was told are the same for everyone. You talk and answer the questions and the interviewer writes what you say. Very simple! It's not very personal so try to be a little personal by explaining your answers with examples from your experience. Overall, the interview lasted from 1 to 2:30. Get there early to get a seat because it's a large group of people in the room that do the assessments.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult. Basic interview questions.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on the salary.

Texas Work Advisor I

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission.

Interview Details – If you apply for a position, be warned, it's a long process. The other reviews you read are pretty accurate regarding STARK, the written test and formal interview. For me, it was about 3 months from application to interview and acceptance of position. It will differ depending on need and location on how fast you are to be hired if you managed to pass all the necessary steps.

Interview Question – Same as stated in previous reviews.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. The posting makes it very clear... Returning employees perhaps a higher pay grade, new..not so much.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online in October, shortly after i received an email from Stark to complete 4 assessments. There were 4 of the assessments. After i completed, i received another email from stark that i will be contacted by HHS if they consider me for an interview. I waited till December before i got a call. Interview was straight forward, i had to take a basic mathematics text regarding food stamp eligibility. After i was then interviewed by this awesome guy. Interview was easy as well.

Interview Question – when was the time i encountered conflict with a coworker and how did i handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This is a state job with a set salary, no negotiation.

TEXAS WORKS ADVISOR I

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission.

Interview Details – The interview itself was simple, but the hiring process is quite long. After applying online, I was called in for a test of my mathematical and critical thinking skills, as well as a one-on-one interview with a supervisor at the location. The test had approximately 8-9 questions that were pretty straightforward. The interview included typical questions about facing challenges and dealing with difficult clients. The supervisor let me know before conducting the interview that she would be writing many notes and that she might not look at me much during the process - this didn't bother me at all, but just make sure to speak clearly without going too fast. The offer didn't come until nearly two months after my initial interview.

Interview Question – Questions were pretty standard. Just relate answers back to helping others and focusing on client needs. For the test, read through the question thoroughly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation of salary - government job with monthly pay.

Texas Works Advisor II Interview

Texas Works Advisor II

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission in October 2012.

Interview Details – Apply online; then they email you to do a very long online assessment; then they email you asking you to come for interview - which is a group of selected candidates and you take a written test; then you interview with a supervisor or other individual from management; then they call you and offer the position

Interview Question – tell me about a time when you encountered conflict at work   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – salary is non-negotiable

APS Specialist Interview

APS Specialist

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission in December 2009.

Interview Details – They do several interviews back to back. There were a panel of three current supervisor across the region or other management level individuals. When you arrive you read a little bit more about what it means to be an APS Specialist and you watch a video. The interview consists of a typical line of questioning relevant to the position.

Interview Question – Basically just justifying yourself as to how you would maintain composure and objectivity in the face of horrible conditions or circumstances related to elderly abuse and neglect.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not a whole lot of negotiation available with a government position. The rate isn't too flexible.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission in December 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process is long. I applied online October 27, 2013 and was contacted by STARK for assessments and testing two days later. I passed the testing, then on November 8, 2013 STARK sent my testing to the state for review. I called the state November 21, 2013 and they said they were not interviewing until after Thanksgiving. Called them December 2013 and finally got an interview. I arrived to the interview one hour early and I was given a math test. The math test was 10 questions and all consisted food stamp related situations. I passed that test then I moved on to my interview. Interview questions...
1. Name a conflict at work and how did you handle in the past
2. Great concepts of communication
3. Name a time when you were conflicted with time management and how did you handle it
4. How will you deal with a hostile and rude customer
5. i forgot sorry but its five questions very similar to these just worded different

Interview Question – Time management questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, pay is all the same for entry level unless you are a returning worker.

Lubbock, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied for the position online, received an email the next week requesting for me to go through testing online. Completed testing online, received an email saying that I may or may not be selected for an interview. Received a phone call the next week, requesting me to appear for an interview. I arrived for the interview 10 minutes early, but was not seen until 30 minutes after my scheduled time. Interview was with my potential supervisor and another supervisor. I was given a list of questions, told to read them out loud and answer them. I received no feedback from the other supervisor, who kept a blank expression the entire time and only wrote my answers. My potential supervisor asked if I needed to give two week's notice, and was I able to travel if needed. I was told they would call by the end of the week if they wanted me. I was called at the end of the week, and offered a position, and began working for them two weeks later.

Interview Question – Having to read the entire list of interview questions out loud and answer them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. State job, set salary and benefits.

Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission in August 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process was lengthy took about 4 months lots of assessments, then face to face interview, before you had your interview you were given another assessment that had to be passed in order to interview. Once you interview they give you the questions to view about 5 mainly about customer service.

Interview Question – None were difficult focused on customer service   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating the pay is set in stone and very very low for all the work the give you not worth it

Tx Works Advisor Interview

Tx Works Advisor
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Texas Health and Human Services Commission.

Interview Details – I applied for the job online and it had taken about three weeks to receive a call for an interview. Once I arrived at the interview, I had forty-five minutes to take a ten question test, that consisted of some math and reading. The company also provided calculators, and advised that we use them. After about five minutes of test taking, I was then walked over to another room to interview. The interview was fairly simple! In fact we talked about school, practically the whole interview.

Interview Question – Have you ever faced conflict at work, please describe. What are the key factors of good communication.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Texas Health and Human Services Commission

Worked for Texas Health and Human Services Commission? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Texas Health and Human Services Commission interview questions and advice. All 24 interview reviews posted anonymously by Texas Health and Human Services Commission employees and interview candidates.