Texas Instruments Applications Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2014

3.2

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Texas Instruments.

I applied online and got an e-mail to answer some behavioral questions through webcam. Couple days after, I got a call for an interview where I have to give a 3-5 slide presentation on a project that I worked on.

After the presentation I didn't hear back for two weeks so when I contacted the HR first, he suggested if I was interested in other positions. I said yes but he hasn't replied since then.

Interview Questions
  • Just questions about the project and if I considered any other options.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Texas Instruments

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Texas Instruments.

I stopped by the booth at my university's career fair and spoke to an engineer for a bit. He invited me to an interview on campus the next day where he gave me circuits questions. They were pretty standard and basic such as RC equations and transfer functions. After that, I was invited to do a 1 hr presentation to 2 people about a project I did. The presentation was more like a walk through where they asked me questions about the project as I went through the slides. They were all technical questions for the most part about the project, so you better know your project well. However, my project was an analog amplifier and both the interviewers were digital guys, so they didn't really have a lot of hard questions. I passed, and they invited me down to Texas. They paid for the hotel, airplane, etc which was cool. The first night at the hotel you go through a presentation with some of the engineers where you drink a bit and relax. After, you head out to a restaurant. The next morning, I went in for 2 interviews. Each interview was with 3 people. The first interview, they asked me mostly behavioral questions. I feel like they were not satisfied with my responses, considering they let me do most of the talking. The next group of people, kind of treated me like crap. For these interviews, you do your presentation in person that you did over the phone. They kept interrupting me and asking questions that were relevant to the slide that I talked about like 6 slides ago. They asked me technical questions too.

Interview Questions
    • Too long ago, forgot honestly. They asked me about IIR filters and how to choose where to place the zeros and poles for types of filters.   Answer Question

Team interview + HR + manager

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Texas Instruments in January 2014.

I applied online and received an email for a phone interview two weeks later. Had to do a 10 min presentation on a topic or project of your choice to two managers during the phone interview which lasted more than an hour.

Afterwards, got a call a week later for an on-site interview. All expenses were paid for i.e. flight, hotel, rental car, etc. We had dinner with some engineers who are already in the rotation program. The next morning, two one hour interviews were scheduled for each person. My first interview consisted of two managers. I presented the same project from my phone interview. Afterwards, many technical questions were asked. A white board is in every interview room so you're able to draw any diagram or write anything on the board. The second interview consisted of three managers. After presenting my project again, they seemed more interested in behavioral questions. Everyone was very friendly and made the interview process enjoyable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Texas Instruments in December 2013.

Straightforward process: on campus interview, phone interview, and on-site interviews. Managers don`t purposely put you under the pressure, they just need to know who you are and why you want to work for the company. If you can present yourself well and know EE fundamentals, there shouldn`t be any problem. Great company, where employees love their work (most important point for me).

Interview Questions
    • How did you prepare for the interview (I was in the middle of Finals so I didn`t prepare at all).   Answer Question
    Great offer, no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Texas Instruments in November 2013.

The interview process was extensive but extremely quick. After the career fair I had an interview the next day, two phone calls, one virtual interview and then they flew me to Dallas for two more interviews and a dinner with people in the program.

The process was great! They paid for flight, rental car, hotel room, dinner, and traveler check to cover any other items. TI takes care of you and you can tell that they treat all their employees like they matter. They are a top tier company and definitely show it.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. Advice is to show strong presentation skills.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interviewed on campus, was mainly behavior. it had only two technical questions. the next step is a more indepth technical interview.

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Texas Instruments.

University on-campus interviews

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, all about basic analog circuit questions and projects you have been done related to analog circuit design.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Texas Instruments in October 2013.

First round was a webcam interview where you record yourself answering some basic behavioural/interest questions. Second round was a phone interview with two current TI Applications engineers. You prepare a 10 minute presentation on a technical project you've done for the phone interview, and share slides via TI's videoconference system. Third round was in person at TI - they fly you down to Dallas to interview at headquarters, again presenting on the same project.

Questions are technical, but based around your project (and expect a ton of behavioural questions if said project was a group project), so just make sure that you can talk in-depth about the dirty details. Also be prepared to discuss anything on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Just all of the technical detail on my project - everything down to coding algorithms for a mainly hardware project.   Answer Question

Wanted a better balance of field and desk work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Texas Instruments in October 2013.

There are two people in one room A, and two people in room B. You will present your project to the first two people in room A, and then again to room B. In neither room was I asked a single technical question. Behavioral questions only.

Interview Questions
    • They used a good cop/bad cop routine. Room A was very harsh. Combative even. Creating silence, and asking questions that simply create conflict. I was the team leader on a project, and when asked "who is the most important person on the team" I said "we were all important", he followed up with "why wasn't it you?" and "how do we get your friend's resumes". Room B was very friendly. I didn't get the offer. To prepare for this, I would practice how to work with interrogations.   Answer Question

Worked for Texas Instruments? Contribute to the Community!