Texas Instruments

Updated Nov 22, 2014

110 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Applications Engineer Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments in November 2014.

I got an on-campus interview though my university career fair.
    1st is the brief career fair face to face 10 minutes interview and they will decide whether give you an on-campus interview or not.
    2nd is on-campus interview: General questions and behavior questions about your resume. Try to be persuasive that you know the field you are doing now.
    3rd is a web-cam interview with a manager from California. He asked some behavior questions and some technical questions as well. My advice is pleas be prepared for this one.
    After you passed the 3rd interview you will be invited to Dallas for final on-site interview and prepare a 10 mines presentation. The night before the interview you will have dinner with the people who are currently in the program now. They do not have any impact on your process but you can ask some questions like how is the final interview looks like and what are some things that TI values in this position.
    4th is an on-site interview. You will have 2 interviews with 2 application engineer managers each time. Please print your presentations for the interviewers and be ready to answer any question about the project. You should also expect some behavior and technical questions.

I got the call the same day after I did my final on-site interview and the HR told me I have 2 weeks to decide. I got the official offer letter the next day. I accepted it because the salary and benefit is really good.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are about my project. One question is about buck and boost converter.   Answer Question
    The offer is really good so I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments in November 2014.

For a new hire, I followed these steps: the on-campus interview, followed by a phone interview when I passed the first hurdle, which then finalized with a flight to Dallas for an on-site interview. The on-site interview involved two separated interview sessions (with 2-man interview teams), a technical presentation to four different people, and also this critical thinking project that they group four of us interviewees to complete together. I was also fed lunch, and got a quick tour of one of the TI manufacturing facilities.

Hiring-wise, I received an offer phone call within days of my final interview session.

Interview Questions
    No room for negotiation - but offer for a newly hired graduate was very nice, especially with the benefits.

Applications Engineer Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

The process consisted of 3 interviews. The first was 30 minutes on campus after a career fair. The interviewer asked me to draw a block diagram for a system I've built before. He also asked about challenges I've faced throughout college and how I dealt with them. The second is a 1 hour webcam interview. The interviewer asked more behavioral questions similar to the first interview. For the third and final interview I was flown in to TI Dallas headquarters for a social dinner with other candidates and current members of the rotation program. The next day I attended a campus tour and two back-to-back interviews. For these I presented a project I had done before and was asked additional behavioral and technical questions. These technical questions are based on your project so don't expect to derive Maxwell's equations. Others have had to build different configurations of Op Amps or describe a Bode plot. I guess I was lucky.

Interview Questions
    • You must have good examples of work that you have done in teams. That is ALL they care about. Technical knowledge can be taught. Do not be afraid to admit you or your team's failures.   Answer Question

Applications Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

2 Rounds of online interviews, 1 onsite. They take care of everything, give you a small tour of their HQ. You will have the opportunity to talk to current employees about anything regarding the job and the life at TI before you interview in person.
    The in person interview will be completely technical. They will ask for you to prepare a project presentation and they will drill you on every aspect of it.

Interview Questions
    • Expect to be asked various questions on anything technicality you mention in your presentation.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments in October 2014.

Texas Instruments' interviews consists of 3 steps.
    I applied online for the Applications Engineer Program in mid/late July. Presentation is key for this role.
    1. Around mid-August I received an email from HR stating I needed to "introduce myself" using TI's HireVue. This was a virtual interview where I recorded myself answering 7 questions regarding my background. I had 30 seconds to prepare each answer and up to 3 minutes to provide a detailed answer. The questions were related to my ideal work environment and behavior. Nothing to study. They did however asked if I was okay to relocate and my preference between Analog and Digital and why. I later learned these were very important for the role since one may end up in CA, AZ, or TX.
    A few hours later, I received a call from HR telling me that I've moved on the next interview. During my first interview, I did mention a concern and HR called me to congratulate me on my progress and to clear up some questions I had.

2. The second interview was scheduled a week later. This interview was a 1-hour live video using again HireVue. I was interviewed by 2 engineers, one Digital and one Analog. During this interview, questions about my resume were asked. I had VHDL/Verilog on my resume and they simply asked where I applied those languages. It was half technical half situational. For the situational, you are asked a question similar to, "During your coursework or projects, did you ever have problems with other team members? Describe [project on resume]? etc.." As I answered a situational question, I was stopped to answer technical questions based on my project. Since I was a leader for 2 of my projects, I was asked typical leader questions about my role.
    Again, a few hours later I was called by HR telling me that my interview was one of the best ones during this season. I was told I will be moving on to an onsite interview in Dallas which was scheduled for early October. TI takes care of their employees, they gave me $50 in a traveler's check, rented me a car, hotel room, and payed for the flight. I was also given a map of the campus. For the onsite, I had to prepare a 10 minute, 4-5 slide, presentations about a project I've worked on during my coursework or internships.

3. After I arrived in Dallas, I was to drive and check in at the hotel. TI scheduled a presentation regarding the Application Engineer role, set for the evening. The presentation was to answer any questions about the role. Afterwards, the group of other candidates and engineers in the Applications Engineer Program headed out to dinner via shuttle bus. The engineers who came along to dinner did not have a say in our process. They were asked by TI to answer any of our questions related to the role. After dinner, we were driven back to the hotel for the night.
    The following morning, I drove to the TI campus. Here the final interview was scheduled. As you're waiting for your turn, you are given a campus tour.
    There are 4 rooms containing 2 project managers in each. Everyone interviewed with 2 different sets of engineers.
    During the interview, the engineers introduce themselves and ask you to do the same. They ask you to start the presentation. As you're progressing, they stop you to ask questions based on the project, nothing too technical. I suggest you learn your project inside and out. The only technical question I was asked was when I mentioned H-bridges. I was asked to explain how they worked, why I chose BJTs versus FETs, the difference between BJTs and FETs. I was also asked more behavioral and situational questions.
    I was told that I was to learn whether I get an offer or not by the end of the week. I was called the same day as I was waiting for my plane home.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Make sure you have experiences to talk about, that's the most important. Projects, leadership roles, team member roles, time management, internship experiences are all good. Make sure you know your project well.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate, I was more than satisfied with the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Three stage interviewing process: one on campus interview, one phone interview, and one all day on site interview. The final interview required interviewees to give a 15 minute technical presentation, and the solve a surprise brain teaser at the end.

Interview Questions
    • What are you extracurricular activities and how do you think they will help you succeed within your role here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments in October 2014.

The Interview process for me was a 3-round process. The first round was a campus interview, the second round was a phone interview, and the third round was a Dallas on-site interview. The first two rounds were all behavior questions. The last round was both behavior and technical questions. I had to also present a project I had worked on in school. Also, for the on-site interview you are to work together with a team on a project and the interviewers will grade you on that.

Interview Questions
    • Their questions were fairly simple and easy. Be ready to answer the two most hated questions ever! "Why TI?" and "Why should we hire you?"   Answer Question

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

The interview process included a presentation to be presented in front of approximately 8-10 engineers and two face to face interviews. Took approximately four hours which included lunch.

Interview Questions
    • What does the cross section of a MOSFET and BJT look like and how does it operate?   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

On campus interview at Georgia Tech. Not too technical, go over your resume and describe the projects you have worked on at school, what do you like to do for fun, how do you manage your work/life balance etc.

Interview Questions
    • What are some specif tech blogs that you follow and why?   Answer Question

Mixed-signal Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Applied the resume by my friend in TI, got a call from the manager later he conducted phone interview for basic technical check, one week later TI bring me to Dallas (I was in San Jose) for group interview, the entire organization interview me and check everything thoroughly, aq very stressful interview experience, from 8:00 in the morning until 4:00 pm, non-stop.

Interview Questions
    • They drew a picture of the circuitry and ask me to explain how it worked, to be honest I had never seen it before, hence I answered terribly on those questions. I believe that is something only those people know, because they worked on it. If I drew my work on the board, it will stun them as well, I believe:)   Answer Question